What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago - Help GM & 2/5 of His Kids do Chicago (2 Viewers)

General Malaise

Footballguy
When:  Arrive Chicago Union Station via Amtrak on Thurs. July 5th at 10:30am, Departing Sat. July 7th at High Noon.
Who:  GM, Mrs. GM II, 15 year old & 13 year old.  Leaving the twins and their sister with members of the Detroit Mafia for sensitivity training.
Why:  Because I've never been to Chicago, heard it rules very hard and seems to have everything to offer.  And my wife needs a break from the twins or she might abandon us.
What's Already Planned:  We have tickets to the Cubs game Friday at 1pm vs the Cincinnati Shukes.  That's it.
Where We Staying:  With my wife's cousin and his wife at their condo near Wrigley.

***APOLOGIES IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE CHICAGO THREADS, BUT I AM WORSE AT SEARCH FUNCTION THAN I AM AT BIRTH CONTROL***

The excitement level I have to visit Chicago is off the charts.  We are taking the train from Pontiac, MI to Chicago departing oh dark thirty.  Bonding with the older boys is another key perk to this little trip.  Outside of the Cubs game, we are pretty wide open.  

Originally, I thought it would be fun to walk from the train station to Willis Tower and hit the Sky Deck.  But I'm reading that the lines can be long and outside of being high, it might not be worth the money/time.  Instead, I'm thinking we walk from the train station to Chicago's First Lady for an Architecture River Cruise.  Looks like the walk from Union Station to Chicago First Lady is about a half hour and takes us along the Riverwalk.  Any restaurant ideas on this walk would be much appreciated - I know the boys want some good Chicago Pizza on this trip.  I'll book the cruise after 1 so we can take a little time to walk/eat from the train.

After the River Cruise, we should probably head towards our hosts' condo.  Would a Water Taxi make sense or nah?  We will let our hosts dictate the rest of the day/evening; I'm assuming we'll dine out for dinner, but will let them choose.

I am a big museum nerd and would love to take in a museum before the Cubs game.  Open for suggestions, but would like to limit the time spent getting there and back to Wrigley for first pitch.  I told my wife we could leave the Cubs game early, but after she saw what I spent on tickets, she said "Oh no, we're staying the ENTIRE game for what you spent on those tickets!". :bag:   ($386 for 4 tickets in the outfield?  Seems a bit much, but.....BASEBALL!!!!).  So I'd love to hit a museum after the game too.  

I'll now go try and use the Search Function to see if I can answer my own questions.  But I'd also like to use this thread as a resource I can bookmark on my phone if I need it quickly.  Any and all help from you Chicago FBGs or FBGs who have spent a lot of time in Chicago would be most appreciated.

Oh, and for sure I'll be cornholing the hat. :wub:   :banned:

sounds like a great plan.  You should scheme where to ditch your bags while you do the river cruise.  Hauling those over town is going to suck.  There are plenty of hotels near the river and near the Red Line with bell desk is your best option so that you don't schlep back to Union Station. 

Tons of restaurant choices around the area betw train and river cruise. Places that my kids of similar age have enjoyed near there: 3 Greens Market; Lou Malnati's (Chicago style pizza), Eataly, BIlly Goat, or just whatever you find on Riverwalk.  Close by River Cruise departure is FTW (huge arcade) and Dylan's Candy Bar; both excellent stops for kids those ages.

After river cruise, take red line (train) up to Wrigley.  Unique experience and the most convenient. Uber is back-up plan.  

Museums will be tough.  They are not close by Wrigley and most people are worn out by a single game esp if it's remotely warm. 

Highly recommend the Architecture River Cruise.  The guides are docents who are experts in architecture, city planning, or both.  The variety of buildings you will see of size, shape, and age is really impressive.  

I love Art Institute of Chicago.  And not just because it’s the art museum visited in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.  The collection of impressionist works they have is amazing (Mrs. Palmer of The Palmer House was an impressionist superfan and donated a lot of her collection to the Art Institute), and the Chagall stained glass windows really are something special in person.  

sounds like a great plan.  You should scheme where to ditch your bags while you do the river cruise.  Hauling those over town is going to suck.  There are plenty of hotels near the river and near the Red Line with bell desk is your best option so that you don't schlep back to Union Station. 

Tons of restaurant choices around the area betw train and river cruise. Places that my kids of similar age have enjoyed near there: 3 Greens Market; Lou Malnati's (Chicago style pizza), Eataly, BIlly Goat, or just whatever you find on Riverwalk.  Close by River Cruise departure is FTW (huge arcade) and Dylan's Candy Bar; both excellent stops for kids those ages.

After river cruise, take red line (train) up to Wrigley.  Unique experience and the most convenient. Uber is back-up plan.  

Museums will be tough.  They are not close by Wrigley and most people are worn out by a single game esp if it's remotely warm. 
We were all just going to take backpacks and travel light, but if need be, this is an excellent suggestion.  

Looks like Lou Malnati's is going to win out as we're all excited to try a Chicago style pizza place right off the bat.  

Should we consider the Art Institute of Chicago after the River Cruise?  Or another museum/attraction we can pack in before taking the Red Line up to Wrigley?  No set time table on when we need to be at her cousin's.

Thanks a lot for this! :thumbup:

I’m not a fan of “Chicago-style” pizza, so I’ll recommend Forno Rosso in West Loop as a Neapolitan alternative, one of those pizza joints with the 900-degree oven that cooks pies in 90 seconds.  They also have a Nutella-centric dessert pizza that is a must if you’re with Nutella fans.

We were all just going to take backpacks and travel light, but if need be, this is an excellent suggestion.  

Looks like Lou Malnati's is going to win out as we're all excited to try a Chicago style pizza place right off the bat.  

Should we consider the Art Institute of Chicago after the River Cruise?  Or another museum/attraction we can pack in before taking the Red Line up to Wrigley?  No set time table on when we need to be at her cousin's.

Thanks a lot for this! :thumbup:
Art Inst is your best bet if you want to squeeze in some museum time. 

Highly recommend the Architecture River Cruise.  The guides are docents who are experts in architecture, city planning, or both.  The variety of buildings you will see of size, shape, and age is really impressive.  

I love Art Institute of Chicago.  And not just because it’s the art museum visited in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.  The collection of impressionist works they have is amazing (Mrs. Palmer of The Palmer House was an impressionist superfan and donated a lot of her collection to the Art Institute), and the Chagall stained glass windows really are something special in person.  
Yeah, this is the one I want to hit most of all, so maybe I'll alter the line-up to go the Art Institute after lunch, then hit the River Cruise with a docent (I read that tip too and will definitely go that route).  

There are tons of places around the city to explore outside of Chicago River and Wrigley.  But, in my experience, trying to squeeze in too many remote areas with kids tends to suck the life out of the day esp. with heat and the amount of walking that happens.   

If there are Saturday Night Live fans in your group... HIGHLY recommend The SNL Experience at the Museum of Broadcasting Communications.  It tells the history of the show through the narrative of what your week in 30 Rock would be like if you hosted the show.  Really funny clips, artifacts, and photo ops.  You can sit on the Wayne’s World couch and behind Burt Reynolds Turd Ferguson’s podium from Celebrity Jeopardy.  

+1 on the Lou Malnati's recommendation.  If you're looking for a different pie to try though Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. maybe something to look into as well. 
This is a good recommendation.  Or used to be.  But you won't really be anywhere near it.

If you do go, grab some Med Bread and Half-Pounders. The boys will like it imo.  You'll enjoy the bar.  And iirc there's a fun story on the menu about how the St. Valentine's Day massacre took place across the street.

I would probably skip the Willis. Its cool, but can eat up half a day.  If the weather is nice and you don't have too much luggage, it will be fun just walking through the city.  The architectural boat cruises are cool, so that's a great idea.  Also just walking around Mich. Ave. and Millennial Park is nice.

Its going to be hard doing a museum before a 1:00 Cubs game, but it is doable.  I would say forget the Science and Industry, which is quite a bit south.  You could do the Field, Art, Shedd aquarium or the Planetarium - all are cool and will be packed - you'd want to be there in line when they open and plan to leave by 11:30 or so. You can take the red line north to Wrigley.  Friday afternoon Cubs game is a great scene just walking around Wrigley so leave yourself some time to do that.  If the weather is nice, it will be a great party scene in the bleachers - honestly not even appropriate for younger kids but your teenagers will have a blast.

I don't remember the details...  but if you think you will hit most of the museums, look into getting a City Pass.  I think it covers Art Inst, Field, Shedd, planetarium, and Science and Industry (skip this one like someone else said).  If I remember right if you hit 4 places you save money w/ the City Pass.

I don't remember the details...  but if you think you will hit most of the museums, look into getting a City Pass.  I think it covers Art Inst, Field, Shedd, planetarium, and Science and Industry (skip this one like someone else said).  If I remember right if you hit 4 places you save money w/ the City Pass.
Think I'm going to take the board advice and just limit the trip to Art Inst. with the River Cruise, the Cubs game, good food and walking around sight seeing (my favorite thing to do in a new city).  Give the boys some freedom to venture off a little bit too.  

Architecture Foundation Boat Cruise is the #1 recommendation. Shouldn't really be missed.

https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/detail/chicago-architecture-foundation-river-cruise-aboard-chicagos-first-lady-cruises/

I'd also strongly advice to get a drink at the top of the Hancock at some point. Much better than Willis since it's free to go up, and you can just sit and relax while sipping on some $9 beers or whatever cocktail the wife enjoys. The view from the ladies room is apparently the best in the city but none of us will ever know for sure.

I used to take lunch dates to the Art Institute, worked every time. 

Love it 

for pizza, you can't go wrong with Malnati's for some authentic Chicago-style pizza but I always recommend Pequods. Location isn't as convenient to where you will be though so I think you're good with Malnati's on a short trip.

Don't forget to work in some Italian Beef as well. Excellent Eat Off opportunity there. Make sure you get it dipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'm going to take the board advice and just limit the trip to Art Inst. with the River Cruise, the Cubs game, good food and walking around sight seeing (my favorite thing to do in a new city).  Give the boys some freedom to venture off a little bit too.  
Michigan Ave is terrific sightseeing on foot.  Great stores, cool buildings, outstanding people-watching.  

If you happen upon The Tribune Tower, take a few minutes to check out the building itself.  There are pieces of buildings and structures from around the world built into the foundation and exterior walls, so as you walk around the building you can touch pieces of, for example, the Great Wall Of China or one of the Pyramids.  

(If you do the river tour that’s been recommended, you will be able to see the Tribune Tower when you board the boat.)

Across the street is the Wrigley building.  My daughter loves this place because there’s a Ghirardelli store in it where you can order a delicious ice cream sundae and sit at a picture window overlooking the river.

Also nearby is a ginormous Under Armour store the boys might want to check out.  There’s a golf simulator on the 2nd floor.  And right by the entry is a phone-charging lockbox station - enter your email and opt-in to Under Armour’s email list, and you can store your phone on a charger locked away while you shop.  This was a nice respite for me, charging my phone and hitting a few balls while the girls shopped at the Sephora across the street.

After the River Cruise, we should probably head towards our hosts' condo.  Would a Water Taxi make sense or nah?  We will let our hosts dictate the rest of the day/evening; I'm assuming we'll dine out for dinner, but will let them choose.
Water Taxi can only take you so far, and gets you nowhere close to Wrigley. If you are taking the architecture cruise, I'd say skip the water taxi. If you are tired and want to get to your cruise faster, then you can take a water taxi when you get off the train over to Michigan Avenue. But walking along the river is probably the way to go.

you should hit up The Wiener Circle with the boys.

EDIT: link removed as they swear a lot there.

"It’s not the typical greeting you’d find in a customer service manual, but this Lincoln Park joint isn’t your typical restaurant. People don’t just come for the food -- they come, and stay, for the entertainment: a staff of kitchen workers who hurl profane insults at every customer with the guts to eat there."

And for sure, at Lou Malnati's get the butter crust. I'm not sure why they even offer it the other way.

I'm a rookie for Italian Beef, but I love Al's. Was there today for lunch. Regular Beef with sweet peppers and American Cheese. And for sure get the fries. 

https://imgur.com/a/JXmXPpS

On that note, I do not like Portillos at all. Feels like a hyped up Chilis to me. Al's #1 Beef is great. Aaron likes Johnnies.

For hot dogs, now that Hot Dougs is gone, I love http://www.superdawg.com/

Will we have enough time to hit Pequod's at the open and make the Cubs game at 1?  Maybe go after the game?  Sounds like this is a can't miss....

Will we have enough time to hit Pequod's at the open and make the Cubs game at 1?  Maybe go after the game?  Sounds like this is a can't miss....
it's possible. they have a good lunch special and it should be a lot less crowded then. pizza takes a half hour or so to bake, but if you're taking a uber/lyft to the game afterwards you should be fine.

however, wrigleyville is pretty fun too so you may want to hang out there before the game as everybody will be drunk afterwards.

Pequod's is good. I think Malnati's is better but both are pretty darn good.  Gino's East is also in the conversation but don't go to Giordano's.  

I'd also strongly advice to get a drink at the top of the Hancock at some point. Much better than Willis since it's free to go up, and you can just sit and relax while sipping on some $9 beers or whatever cocktail the wife enjoys. The view from the ladies room is apparently the best in the city but none of us will ever know for sure.
This is key!  I will pencil this for Saturday late morning before our train trip back to lovely Pontiac. Great tip.  (assume kids are fine here?) 

This is key!  I will pencil this for Saturday late morning before our train trip back to lovely Pontiac. Great tip.  (assume kids are fine here?) 
yeah. you want the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor. It's a bar with plenty of seating. The restaurant (expensive) is on the 95th floor.

I think Observation Deck is the 94th floor and they charge like $10 or something but then you just kind of stand around with nothing to do. AVOID that.

At least when you go to the bar (for free), you can check out the views and enjoy some booze.

Kids are fine.

Was going to suggest Hancock because it’s on Michigan Ave right by a lot of the other stuff you want to see and do.   

However, the Willis Tower is right across the river from Union Station.  

I’ll defer to others on views and time-consuming metrics.

yeah. you want the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor. It's a bar with plenty of seating. The restaurant (expensive) is on the 95th floor.

I think Observation Deck is the 94th floor and they charge like $10 or something but then you just kind of stand around with nothing to do. AVOID that.

At least when you go to the bar (for free), you can check out the views and enjoy some booze.

Kids are fine.
Perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread