What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food and Drink Talk (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I have another board where guys are often posting food and drink they're loving and it's fun.

Great sandwich or burger. Awesome pizza. Fancy dinner. Fancy cocktails or local beer. Great desserts. Breakfasts and more. 

Sometimes it's restaurant food. Lots of times it's homemade. Whatever. 

It's been a fun way to learn about what other people like and also good for travel notes for when you might visit the spot. 

Let's hear it. 

I'll start.

Chicago was the first big city I ever visited and I can still remember being impressed. Back today and glad for it. Regular Beef Sandwich with Sweet Peppers and American Cheese from Al's #1. My go to.

https://imgur.com/a/JXmXPpS

To add, the fries are killer too. How so many places with rad reputations like In N Out and Shake Shack are so beloved and their fries are completely "meh" or terrible in the case of In N Out is amazing to me.

Al's fries are awesome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also reminded every time I'm here how vastly superior Als is to Portillos in every way. I know people like it but Portillos has to be one of my least favorite restaurants on earth.

I'm also reminded every time I'm here how vastly superior Als is to Portillos in every way. I know people like it but Portillos has to be one of my least favorite restaurants on earth.
IMO Portillos is good, and good doesn't cut it around here when in comes to Italian Beef.

I have another board where guys are often posting food and drink they're loving and it's fun.

Great sandwich or burger. Awesome pizza. Fancy dinner. Fancy cocktails or local beer. Great desserts. Breakfasts and more. 

Sometimes it's restaurant food. Lots of times it's homemade. Whatever. 

It's been a fun way to learn about what other people like and also good for travel notes for when you might visit the spot. 

Let's hear it. 
Who is this other board, Joe?!? Is this board not enough for you? Do you love this other board? What about the kids? I feel so betrayed.

Who is this other board, Joe?!? Is this board not enough for you? Do you love this other board? What about the kids? I feel so betrayed.
Now I see what's going on. We're the disappointing child and that's why we're getting things taken away from us. 

Why? Just why can't you be more like your brother the other board?

I'll start.

Chicago was the first big city I ever visited and I can still remember being impressed. Back today and glad for it. Regular Beef Sandwich with Sweet Peppers and American Cheese from Al's #1. My go to.

https://imgur.com/a/JXmXPpS

To add, the fries are killer too. How so many places with rad reputations like In N Out and Shake Shack are so beloved and their fries are completely "meh" or terrible in the case of In N Out is amazing to me.

Al's fries are awesome. 
Wait, are you saying In N Out's fries are bad?  They are excellent imo.

I've legit never heard another human say anything other than In N Out fries are terrible. Ever.

And off the bat, we have two who think they're good. This may have been a bad idea for a thread...

I've legit never heard another human say anything other than In N Out fries are terrible. Ever.

And off the bat, we have two who think they're good. This may have been a bad idea for a thread...
we do have a 100+ page thread here that compares Five Guys to In N Out and about 60% of that thread is people complaining about their fries and the In N Out guys telling us to just put salt on them to make them awesome.

Edit: 140 pages here

Edit again: @Getzlaf15 is #1 fan of In N Out fries

Last edited by a moderator:

I’ll go on record and say they are great. They slice potatoes right in front of your face, deep fry them, and put salt on them. If you don’t like that, you don’t like real fries. 

And I didn't intend this to be a debate thing although I guess that's what we do. 

I'd like to see it more as cool stuff you guys have for breakfast / lunch / dinner. 

Al's was my lunch today. 

I’ll go on record and say they are great. They slice potatoes right in front of your face, deep fry them, and put salt on them. If you don’t like that, you don’t like real fries. 
Wow. @kutta ! You are seriously the first person I've ever felt like I've known a little that didn't think they were the worst fries in the industry. By a mile.

But if you like them, that's what matters. 

I like the fries at Shake Shack. I can see why you'd think they are 'meh' I guess, but I've never left any behind when ordering them. In N Out fries aren't even edible.
The like is for the Shake Shack fries recognition, but I disagree on In N Out fries. I do eat them animal style, though, so I guess I don’t really taste the fry. 

McDonalds fries in Canada are awesome. Don’t ask me why.

Born and raised in SoCal so I've been eating In-N-Out fries longer than most.  They are not terrible.  I don't pine for them, but they're most certainly not terrible.

Now, I will say, if you eat them at the restaurant as opposed to taking them home, they are much better.  They are cut fresh and don't "settle" well in the to-go bag.

Wow. @kutta ! You are seriously the first person I've ever felt like I've known a little that didn't think they were the worst fries in the industry. By a mile.

But if you like them, that's what matters. 
I just don’t get the hate. I’m all about simple. Slice a potato, fry it, salt it, feed it to me.

My favored pizza is cheese pizza because I like the taste of simple cheese, sauce and crust. Heck, I even love good vanilla ice cream.

I guess on some foods I like them in their simplest form. Fries don’t get any more simple than In-n-Out.

Right now, my favorite fries are at Medium Rare. A DC area place. They fry them in fat—possibly duck fat—and they are perfectly crispy and delicious. Then they give you a “secret sauce” to smother them in, and it is so awesome. Now I want them.

I think the Thrillist article hit the right note.

Part of the thing with In N Out fries is it's shocking given how great everything else is there. I remember the first time I had them I thought it was a joke. How a restaurant can get everything right and totally embarrass themselves on the fries is amazing to me. I know they're not easy. Danny Myer is maybe the smartest guy in the restaurant industry and he struggled a LONG time getting Shake Shack fries up from below average. So I get it's difficult. But not that difficult. 

I just don’t get the hate. I’m all about simple. Slice a potato, fry it, salt it, feed it to me.

My favored pizza is cheese pizza because I like the taste of simple cheese, sauce and crust. Heck, I even love good vanilla ice cream.

I guess on some foods I like them in their simplest form. Fries don’t get any more simple than In-n-Out.
I'm all for simple too. I just don't like fries that taste terrible. 

Nailed it.

How is it that you're hand-cut by the happiest staff in all of fast food and still your insides are stiff and cold and devoid of the lush, velvety texture of your craveable contemporaries? I don't know how those kids in the paper hats can look people in the eye and serve you. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were made of yuca.

-had In NOut fries once on a trip to Cali. They were fine. Wasn't moved either way. They were just fries. 

-Chick-Fil-A waffle fries ARE most definitely fries! They have "Fries" right in the name!

-craving a roast beef poboy now, thanks a lot Joe! 

Users who are viewing this thread