What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sometimes nature sucks (1 Viewer)

rustycolts

Footballguy
We were sitting in our living room watching the Cardinals feed out of our bird feeders.We noticed a baby cardinal fly down to our pine apple plant.It sat there for about a half hour.The parents stayed for awhile and then left and didn't come back.So I got on a pair of rubber gloves picked him up and sat on the front porch.I didn't want a cat to get him.I sent my wife to get a bird cage.I figured we could take care of him over night and then take him to an aviary the next day.He was almost ready to fly.While I am sitting with the bird the parents come back they can hear him chirping and he can hear them.He flies from my hand to the window seal so I walk further into the yard so the parents can get closer. My wife arrives with the bird cage and walks over to me.I tell her to look both parents are on the porch with the baby bird.All three of them fly off to the tree line on the side of my house.Were thinking good he is back with his parents at that exact moment a freaking hawk swoops down and grabs the bird.Really sucked watching that.Guess I should have just kept on holding him until my wife got back and we got the cage put together.I couldn't believe it though right in front of us.No good deed goes unpunished.

We were sitting in our living room watching the Cardinals feed out of our bird feeders.We noticed a baby cardinal fly down to our pine apple plant.It sat there for about a half hour.The parents stayed for awhile and then left and didn't come back.So I got on a pair of rubber gloves picked him up and sat on the front porch.I didn't want a cat to get him.I sent my wife to get a bird cage.I figured we could take care of him over night and then take him to an aviary the next day.He was almost ready to fly.While I am sitting with the bird the parents come back they can hear him chirping and he can hear them.He flies from my hand to the window seal so I walk further into the yard so the parents can get closer. My wife arrives with the bird cage and walks over to me.I tell her to look both parents are on the porch with the baby bird.All three of them fly off to the tree line on the side of my house.Were thinking good he is back with his parents at that exact moment a freaking hawk swoops down and grabs the bird.Really sucked watching that.Guess I should have just kept on holding him until my wife got back and we got the cage put together.I couldn't believe it though right in front of us.No good deed goes unpunished.
Nature is certainly cruel.  Takes bite of a bacon cheeseburger

Fledgling birds should be left alone. Aviary would have yelled at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawks gotta eat too 
Yep I have seen plenty of hawks grab prey especially ospreys.Really would aggravate me at times. Fish all day never catch a thing then an osprey dives down 5 yards from boat and grabs a big fish.

Mockingbirds have some real balls though see them chase them away a lot of times.Here is a video of some hawks in action the one that grabbed the baby bird was just a little smaller than the first one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7aC6dlMcE

Guess you'll think of this next time you swoop down to eat a burger?

:coffee:

Do you begrudge the hawk its meal?  That doesn't suck, that is epic.

I was duck hunting once in a blind that was about 10 feet up in a tree. A cardinal flies across at eye level and out of nowhere a hawk swooped in and took him out of mid-air leaving only a little cloud of red feathers. Me: :shock:   It was one of the most awesome acts of nature I have ever personally witnessed.  RIP to our cardinal friends. 

I was duck hunting once in a blind that was about 10 feet up in a tree. A cardinal flies across at eye level and out of nowhere a hawk swooped in and took him out of mid-air leaving only a little cloud of red feathers. Me: :shock:   It was one of the most awesome acts of nature I have ever personally witnessed.  RIP to our cardinal friends. 
A duck blind in a tree. Things are different down there in Louisiana.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: it was kind of a hole in some flooded timber in a bayou area. Ducks naturally came to it as it was one of the few spots of open water in the area. Great ambush spot. The hawk thought so too apparently.
Where I am from we would have built a blind on the ground.  Bow hunters use the trees for white tail, but a duck blind in a tree, I have never heard of such a thing or considered the possibility.  No reason to not do so, it just never never entered my mind.

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on...

Users who are viewing this thread