What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auden Tate - WR (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Any thoughts on this guy? Across from AJ Green is kind of meh. Lafell isn't anything great. Ross is of a different skill set than Tate, but he couldn't stay healthy last year, so its tough/too early to say if hes a bust or not. 

6'5 228 pounds

Slipped in the draft because of a 4.68 40

If he keeps making catches like this, it'll be hard for coaches to ignore him. He could become a nice redzone target 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on this guy? Across from AJ Green is kind of meh. Lafell isn't anything great. Ross is of a different skill set than Tate, but he couldn't stay healthy last year, so its tough/too early to say if hes a bust or not. 

6'5 228 pounds

Slipped in the draft because of a 4.68 40

If he keeps making catches like this, it'll be hard for coaches to ignore him. He could become a nice redzone target 
Rotoworld tells me he's supposed to be good. Besides that, you've got to love that height. Could be a a RZ weapon which would compensate for playing on the same team as the target vacuum AJ Green.

Reading nothing but good things about him in RZ. Could he replace Lafell in 2019? I'm keeping an eye on him. Kind of seems like the type of guy you let someone else pickup and cut, the stash them at end of year. 

He can't separate, I'm not interested.  He's a worse version of Kelvin Benjamin.  

If they play him in an Evan Engram like TE role, maybe there’s something 
Sounds like he could maybe turn into a Funchess type of player?

**I don’t know anything about this guy. Or Funchess to be honest. Just sounds similar to what I remember hearing about Funchess when he came out. Some kind of mixed TE/WR type. Sans the excited of course.

**I don’t know anything about this guy. Or Funchess to be honest. Just sounds similar to what I remember hearing about Funchess when he came out. Some kind of mixed TE/WR type. Sans the excited of course.
I guess you could say they are similar but they do play differently.  Funchess actually has speed and burst while Tate has neither, he’s just good at jump balls because he’s tall.  

Huge difference in draft capital though. Funchess was a 2nd round pick.

his speed can be fixed with technique. if you watch his 40 time the first 10 to 15 yards he runs very upright. changing that can knock off a lot of time 

guy was 6th in NCAA in catch rate in traffic and he has vice grips for hands. long shot, but if he hits he could be a big redzone target. 10 TDs last year

I know these guys train for the combine and get as mentally ready as they can, but I wonder how much a simply slow jump from the gun can impact their time? I think it would be interesting to see the participants run 5 heats and give the world more data. I'd also like to see them wearing the NextGen trackers and compare those values to real games. 

IDK anything about Tate except he was rated much higher before the combine. But I always wonder about the guys that are "ballers" but didn't test well. I agree the #2 job in Cincy is in play and he could get it. Not sure I want that, though. Maybe my taxi squad somewhere if he has a solid TC.

I know these guys train for the combine and get as mentally ready as they can, but I wonder how much a simply slow jump from the gun can impact their time? I think it would be interesting to see the participants run 5 heats and give the world more data. I'd also like to see them wearing the NextGen trackers and compare those values to real games. 

IDK anything about Tate except he was rated much higher before the combine. But I always wonder about the guys that are "ballers" but didn't test well. I agree the #2 job in Cincy is in play and he could get it. Not sure I want that, though. Maybe my taxi squad somewhere if he has a solid TC.
this is pretty much where I stand too. we dont have taxi squads unfortunately. not yet anyways. someone I'll keep an eye on but not holding my breath

I think this guy could play a TE/RZ/ Big slot type role in this offense. Similar to RSJ. If his positional designation is changed to TE, I think he could have some value. But he is likely going to have to offer more versatility than just around the GL. They have a gang of other TEs and im sure they are better blockers and play STs.

People were starting to track sustained MPH this year and data has been sporadically available for college players. The NFL, and Roger Goodell’s well oiled machine of a front office, is suspending NextGen next season supposedly because of money. Which is ####### laughable. Step 1) collude with the NCAA to create a cartel and prevent athletes from playing football anywhere else. Step 2) Pretend your league is always at threat and that it isn’t as valuable/cost efficient as is perceived and therefore can’t afford to create efficient scouting processes/minor league development. Step 3) Profit.

Reading nothing but good things about him in RZ. Could he replace Lafell in 2019? I'm keeping an eye on him. Kind of seems like the type of guy you let someone else pickup and cut, the stash them at end of year. 
There is still John Ross in the mix if we’re looking down the road. 

He is literally catching everything. 

Still love Goodberry's take on his spider chart: linky

Having an insane camp so far.  Heard he had a little work with the 1s this week.  The conversation has moved from whether or not he'll make the team to whether or not he's gonna force his way into a significant role.

-QG

will be interesting to seem how he looks this week. sense I get from reading is that he'll make the team but start out as a game day inactive because he isn't really a special teams guy.  But if the red-zone offense struggles or a player or two is hurt I can see him getting his chance.  Dynasty stash kinda guy at this point.  Big target that catches everything - even when contested - QBs like those kind of guys.

-QG

Bengals WR Auden Tate made the initial 53-man roster.

A seventh-round rookie out of Florida State, Tate earned praise for his work this offseason, and he did enough during camp and the preseason to earn a spot. More a tight end than a receiver at 6-foot-5, 228 pounds with 4.68 "speed," Tate does not have much long-term upside, but he could be a weapon in the red zone.

Sep 1 - 3:01 PM

:)  Just added him to taxi squad today from free agency after his 7 target game last week. I'm sure he'll have a diminished role with AJ returning this weekend, but he's worth a squad stash for my WR deprived team (side note: I also own AJ).

Decent showing last night. 3-42 line with a nice catch at the goal line to set up a rush TD. Still stashing. Might have a chance to do a little bit as long as AJ remains out.

Is he slow? :yes:

Can he jump? :no:

But man he catches everything :wub:

Gotta have him in the goal-line packages posting up.  The center analogy is perfect.

If he played special teams his position would not ever be in doubt.

-QG

Does anyone know if Tate played on Thursday? He doesn't show up in the stats. If they didn't even play him in the final game, he's probably a lock for the roster.

Man no buzz about this kid after his breakout? Had to drop him at cutdown but hoping claim goes through. 

Didn't see highlights. How did he look?

Groot looked good - definitely took advantage of his opporunity.

That first half was ridiculously bad for the Bengals offense overall so maybe things were a bit lost in that.

The big question hanging over his upside is when will AJ Green return.  Until then I think he's earned more time - but he'll have to keep producing to stay in the starting lineup.  Undrafted Damion Willis started the year in AJ's place but didn't put up the numbers resulting in the promotion of Tate.

I like him - he makes catches :)

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
Groot looked good - definitely took advantage of his opporunity.

That first half was ridiculously bad for the Bengals offense overall so maybe things were a bit lost in that.

The big question hanging over his upside is when will AJ Green return.  Until then I think he's earned more time - but he'll have to keep producing to stay in the starting lineup.  Undrafted Damion Willis started the year in AJ's place but didn't put up the numbers resulting in the promotion of Tate.

I like him - he makes catches :)

-QG
JMO- Green sounds like a guy that is in no rush to get back to an 0-3 team in a contract year. 

With John Ross (shoulder) sidelined for what "could be a month or so", Auden Tate projects to be the Bengals' No. 2 receiver for the short term.

Ross and A.J. Green (ankle) aren't expected to be back for a couple of weeks, and there's not a whole lot of options to fill the No. 2 role behind top target Tyler Boyd. Auden, a 2018 7th-rounder, has been playing the most and is the best bet for snaps and targets against the non-existent Cardinals' secondary this week. Auden should be near the top of the list for waiver claims at receiver this week since Ross is leaving behind 8.0 targets per game.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 1, 2019, 6:25 PM ET

I don't think he looks very good out there.  He's the opposite of smooth.  He's like a bull in a china shop out there. 

I picked him up a bunch of places though so I hope he produces.  I don't care if he doesn't look graceful doing it. 

Should also add that "graceful" probably isn't this guy's game.  Poor man's DK Metcalf maybe? Nah, too slow... Dwayne Bowe? 

Picked him up in a couple of redrafts for $0 in FAAB. Worth a shot as a bye week filler until one of Green or Ross are back. 

Users who are viewing this thread