What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Planning to use Uber for the first time tomorrow ... (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Footballguy
Any tips? Or things that frequent users know all about to which newbies aren't hip?

One thing I'm a little concerned about is that I'm using my first Uber trip to get to work while my car will be in the shop. I need a ride to work at about 6:30 a.m. I'm sure in a top-10 metropolis, getting an Uber that early is no issue. New Orleans does have a decent Uber scene from what I understand, but still. Anything I can do up front to make sure I get an Uber on time that early?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Doug.

Log onto your app about 20 minutes before you need to leave and see what the estimated pickup arrival would be. It will say 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 20 minutes,etc. Also, be sure to not select UberPool.

If you're in a large city like you mentioned, it should take no longer than 8 minutes.

You'll be able to see how long it will take and how many cars are in the vicinity when you go to call for a ride. We used uber to and from the airport when we went to New Orleans last October. Drivers were both nice although both also came with extended cab pickups. Thankfully we only had carry on luggage since I wouldn't have been happy to have luggage sliding around in the back. You'll be given the opportunity to tip after the ride is over so don't feel obligated to hand them cash if you don't want to. Just get out and go.

although both also came with extended cab pickups. Thankfully we only had carry on luggage since I wouldn't have been happy to have luggage sliding around in the back.
You carry some expensive breakable stuff in your luggage these days?

If you are worried not having cars in your area, try LYFT.  They allow you to schedule a pickup time.

ETA - DISCLAIMER...I have never used it.  I just downloaded the LYFT app a week ago thinking I would need it but never used it.  But I can see the feature in the app allowing a ride to be scheduled.  So, I don't know how well it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug B said:
Any tips? Or things that frequent users know all about to which newbies aren't hip?

One thing I'm a little concerned about is that I'm using my first Uber trip to get to work while my car will be in the shop. I need a ride to work at about 6:30 a.m. I'm sure in a top-10 metropolis, getting an Uber that early is no issue. New Orleans does have a decent Uber scene from what I understand, but still. Anything I can do up front to make sure I get an Uber on time that early?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dude it’s not that big of a deal.

Just give yourself extra time. I can't remember the last time my pickup was less than 5 minutes beyond the quoted time before I actually got connected to a driver. It's always 2-3 mins originally and once I confirm, I get "connecting you to nearby drivers" and my guy is 8 mins away. It definitely isn't as tightly location based as it used to be. 

And I live in a place with plenty of drivers.

Just give yourself extra time. I can't remember the last time my pickup was less than 5 minutes beyond the quoted time before I actually got connected to a driver. It's always 2-3 mins originally and once I confirm, I get "connecting you to nearby drivers" and my guy is 8 mins away. It definitely isn't as tightly location based as it used to be. 

And I live in a place with plenty of drivers.
This. I'm sure they'll get better as it's regulated with "truth in advertising" stuff but for Lyft when it says 5 minutes by the time you select pickup and destination it's always a few minutes more. 

But overall, huge fan of Lyft. It's made traveling and exploring cities so much easier. 

Users who are viewing this thread