What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better Franchise All-Time: Cowboys, Patriots, or 49ers? (1 Viewer)

Out of the 3 listed, which of these is better than the other 2 as an all-time NFL franchise?

• Total voters

the lone star

Footballguy
Out of the 3 listed, which of these is better than the other 2 as an all-time NFL franchise?

Dallas Cowboys
New England Patriots
San Francisco 49ers

Last edited by a moderator:
this is one of those things where the whole thread will just be a bunch of angry fans screaming at each other...there is no answer to 'best' anything in sports

All great best legacy has to be the Pats. No one has done more, better, with less than Brady and Belichick.

Out of that list? Dallas.

All time?

Steelers

Cowboys

Packers

49ers

Giants

Patiots

Redskins

Raiders

Broncos

Dolphins
Since your the OP, why didn't you include the Steelers, Packers, and Giants in your original question?

Also, in the last 22 years, where would the Cowboys rank?  :D

green bay packers. most championships in the league 

<end discussion>

for the record, this is a dumb poll with no chance of sparking good discussion. It's not even including the top 3 all time franchises. 

this is equivalent of saying who is better all time: Culpepper or Dilfer

All time?  Steelers have been good for a long, long, time.  Like 50 years good.  Better than all three of the above.  
While I won't consider myself a Steelers fan, that's the one franchise I respect more than any other.  They seem to do things right. Their owner has been the best in the business, they treat their coaches well, they have a fan base I actually like most of whom I've met, they seem to avoid controversy. 

Dallas has the best overall record but the Steelers are the best overall franchise. At least for the reasons I care about. 

Dallas Cowboys
New England Patriots
San Francisco 49ers
Post salary cap era when keeping teams together for long stretches is near impossible it is NE and no other team is in the same universe. Pre SB era when the entire league was smaller than the conferences are now, who knows? Who cares? Pre salary cap post SB era you can make an argument for a lot of teams. Pre and post salary cap, all things considered NE has as good a claim as any team and probably only pitt would be close imho. To dominate for almost 2 decades with the salary cap driven turnover teams play under now is something we likely won't see again for a long, long time. Reasonable minds can disagree (and im sure they will ;)

Only one team has won multiple superbowls but never lost one. Just saying
I have never understood this argument. Let’s reward a team for not advancing in the playioffs and losing BEFORE the SB. Or better still, let’s praise them for not even making the playoffs. In reality, every year a team didn’t even play in the SB should count as a year that they didn’t win the SB. So in that regard SF is really 5-47 in the SB era in years winning the SB. 

While I won't consider myself a Steelers fan, that's the one franchise I respect more than any other.  They seem to do things right. Their owner has been the best in the business, they treat their coaches well, they have a fan base I actually like most of whom I've met, they seem to avoid controversy. 

Dallas has the best overall record but the Steelers are the best overall franchise. At least for the reasons I care about. 
Yeah for me it's between Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Both have excellent fan bases, franchises run the "right" way, very little controversy- if any and seem to be relevant more often than not. Not surprisingly, Green Bay has the most championships and Pittsburgh most "Super Bowl" trophies. Those two are the top 2 of all time. SF might be #3 IMO

Aside from that we could make cases for many other franchises for the top 5. NE (talk to me when NE wins a SB with a different QB) and DAL would not likely make the top 5. NY Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Raiders all have a better case than the Cowboys would IMHO. 

New England has the greatest "dynasty" of all time considering the last ~15 years, but they don't belong in the greatest franchise of all time discussion until they can boast the history SF, GB, and PIT have had (50 years of on/off success/relevancy) 

Whos that?
Baltimore  :lol:

While that's true, I believe the poster was referring to SF off this list of 3. If my knowledge is correct, they are 5-0 in super bowls

Yeah for me it's between Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Both have excellent fan bases, franchises run the "right" way, very little controversy- if any and seem to be relevant more often than not. Not surprisingly, Green Bay has the most championships and Pittsburgh most "Super Bowl" trophies. Those two are the top 2 of all time. SF might be #3 IMO

Aside from that we could make cases for many other franchises for the top 5. NE (talk to me when NE wins a SB with a different QB) and DAL would not likely make the top 5. NY Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Raiders all have a better case than the Cowboys would IMHO. 

New England has the greatest "dynasty" of all time considering the last ~15 years, but they don't belong in the greatest franchise of all time discussion until they can boast the history SF, GB, and PIT have had (50 years of on/off success/relevancy) 

Baltimore  :lol:

While that's true, I believe the poster was referring to SF off this list of 3. If my knowledge is correct, they are 5-0 in super bowls
Your knowledge is not correct as san fran has lost a superbowl to baltimore.....

Post salary cap era when keeping teams together for long stretches is near impossible it is NE and no other team is in the same universe. Pre SB era when the entire league was smaller than the conferences are now, who knows? Who cares? Pre salary cap post SB era you can make an argument for a lot of teams. Pre and post salary cap, all things considered NE has as good a claim as any team and probably only pitt would be close imho. To dominate for almost 2 decades with the salary cap driven turnover teams play under now is something we likely won't see again for a long, long time. Reasonable minds can disagree (and im sure they will ;)
It doesn't hurt that the AFC East has been a dumpster fire.

It doesn't hurt that the AFC East has been a dumpster fire.
This... plus the cheating.  :scared:

I'll remain forever suspicious about the super bowl vs. STL. The fact that the evidence was reviewed by only Goodell, deemed not cheating, and then destroyed is pretty suspicious. If the evidence was benign, why destroy it? The only reason to destroy it would be to cover up cheating. Otherwise, if it is nothing, you make it public, clear their (Pats) name, and everyone is like, "oh yeah, that's nothing. Legit super bowl win. Let's move on."

To me this explains the ridiculous overreaction to the deflated balls. Goodell likely saw the cheating in those tapes and said, "It would be disastrous for the game if this got out. I'll destroy it, but don't pull anymore crap." They not only pull more crap, but get caught, and suddenly we have an extremely heavy handed punishment for a really stupid, meaningless infraction. I think there was a pretty heavy punishment when they got caught taping the Jets' practices, too. 

Sorry for the  :deadhorse: but I'm just big on integrity. 

Is this really a question ?  The New England Patriots have shattered the record books since 2001.

They have been a completely dominant team this entire century.

No one has come close to standing the test of time, especially in the modern game, where it is much more challenging to build a dynasty.

NEP

I think I understand the thread now.

the answer is the colts. Without them reporting this horrible cheating scandal the patriots would be deflating all the balls and wouldn’t have lost another Super Bowl. So the colts are the correct answer.

All time: Packers. 13 championships (1), .565 win percentage (2)

Modern: New England

Worst all time by any objective measure: Arizona Cardinals: 1 undisputed championship, .429 win percentage (31), 120 year old team.

Modern I'd harder to determine but should handily go to Tampa Bay: .387 win percentage (32). 1976 inaugural season. 

This... plus the cheating.  :scared:

I'll remain forever suspicious about the super bowl vs. STL. The fact that the evidence was reviewed by only Goodell, deemed not cheating, and then destroyed is pretty suspicious. If the evidence was benign, why destroy it? The only reason to destroy it would be to cover up cheating. Otherwise, if it is nothing, you make it public, clear their (Pats) name, and everyone is like, "oh yeah, that's nothing. Legit super bowl win. Let's move on."

To me this explains the ridiculous overreaction to the deflated balls. Goodell likely saw the cheating in those tapes and said, "It would be disastrous for the game if this got out. I'll destroy it, but don't pull anymore crap." They not only pull more crap, but get caught, and suddenly we have an extremely heavy handed punishment for a really stupid, meaningless infraction. I think there was a pretty heavy punishment when they got caught taping the Jets' practices, too. 

Sorry for the  :deadhorse: but I'm just big on integrity. 
Dude really? Why not take me up on one of the many open offers I have made to honestly debate this crap?

Your big on Integrity? Then why do you claim things as "fact" that aren't? The premise of the above screed, the claim as fact that "only" Goodell saw the tapes is false. Much like the Marty Hurney, Cryin Clarke stuff Its actually absurd if u stop and examine what is being claimed but most don't. Like so much of the NE cheating allegations it is little more than wishful thinking by those who want so badly for it to be true. It is repeated ad nauseam and becomes "fact" when in truth it is false.

Lets just move on and not go down this crapwhole........

All time: Packers. 13 championships (1), .565 win percentage (2)

Modern: New England

Worst all time by any objective measure: Arizona Cardinals: 1 undisputed championship, .429 win percentage (31), 120 year old team.

Modern I'd harder to determine but should handily go to Tampa Bay: .387 win percentage (32). 1976 inaugural season. 
I think its hard for the Bucs to be the worst modern team. They had a relatively recent SB. The browns have two winning season, one playoff appearance and no division titles since they came back in 1999 

Dude really? Why not take me up on one of the many open offers I have made to honestly debate this crap?

Your big on Integrity? Then why do you claim things as "fact" that aren't? The premise of the above screed, the claim as fact that "only" Goodell saw the tapes is false. Much like the Marty Hurney, Cryin Clarke stuff Its actually absurd if u stop and examine what is being claimed but most don't. Like so much of the NE cheating allegations it is little more than wishful thinking by those who want so badly for it to be true. It is repeated ad nauseam and becomes "fact" when in truth it is false.

Lets just move on and not go down this crapwhole........
Sorry, haven't seen any of your open offers. Really. But there's nothing you can say on the matter that will change how shady it is that the evidence was destroyed. There is no compelling reason to take such a drastic action if the evidence actually cleared the Pats of wrongdoing. 

And I know you'll believe whatever you want, but I wanted the evidence to be crap. I wanted it to be a big load of nothing and for it to be just a good ol' underdog super bowl win. But it was actually the handling of that situation that soured me on the Pats, not the other way around. I can tell you're just a biased as you think I am with your "wishful thinking" comment, so I doubt there was ever a real opportunity for an honest debate.

One thing you can't debate is that the Pats HAVE been caught cheating multiple times and punished for it. The best you can do is argue that the cheating didn't give a significant competitive advantage, but if that's true then it begs the question, "why even do it in the first place?" The larger issue is that cheating is kind of like cockroaches... if you see one instance, there are hundreds of others lurking around that you didn't see. If you try to claim the only times they've cheated are the times they've been caught then they are either the most inept cheaters on the planet or you are the most willfully ignorant fan in the world. 

FF Ninja said:
Sorry, haven't seen any of your open offers. Really. But there's nothing you can say on the matter that will change how shady it is that the evidence was destroyed. There is no compelling reason to take such a drastic action if the evidence actually cleared the Pats of wrongdoing

And I know you'll believe whatever you want, but I wanted the evidence to be crap. I wanted it to be a big load of nothing and for it to be just a good ol' underdog super bowl win. But it was actually the handling of that situation that soured me on the Pats, not the other way around. I can tell you're just a biased as you think I am with your "wishful thinking" comment, so I doubt there was ever a real opportunity for an honest debate.

One thing you can't debate is that the Pats HAVE been caught cheating multiple times and punished for it. The best you can do is argue that the cheating didn't give a significant competitive advantage, but if that's true then it begs the question, "why even do it in the first place?" The larger issue is that cheating is kind of like cockroaches... if you see one instance, there are hundreds of others lurking around that you didn't see. If you try to claim the only times they've cheated are the times they've been caught then they are either the most inept cheaters on the planet or you are the most willfully ignorant fan in the world. 
But the evidence didn't clear NE at all, this is where you stray from fact and go into conjecture wishful thinking mode. Stick to the fact(s) of what they were punished for rather than dreaming and projecting what you think could have maybe (in ur wildest dreams) happened.

I know u r a self professed big integrity guy so tell me, r u bothered by the cheating Jerry Rice did? How about the Steelers cheating? Don't get me started on the broncos repeatedly cheating with the salary cap or Aaron Rodgers bragging about over inflating footballs (which was fine until it wasn't). Im sure u r deeply troubled by ALL the #### roaches running rampant in the NFL, not just NE, right?

in ur wildest dreams
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You NE fans have such an inflated perceptions of self worth. Nobody is dreaming of this stuff. The reality is that we're all just going about our lives and then take a moment to roll our eyes when NE gets caught cheating again and then we move on. Nobody cares as much as you guys think we do. At most we get a good laugh at the thought of Tom Brady destroying his phone.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You NE fans have such an inflated perceptions of self worth. Nobody is dreaming of this stuff. The reality is that we're all just going about our lives and then take a moment to roll our eyes when NE gets caught cheating again and then we move on. Nobody cares as much as you guys think we do. At most we get a good laugh at the thought of Tom Brady destroying his phone.
I suggest you back away. Pat fans slurp up any propaganda (that would make Putin blush) posted on the team website like it's the gospel.

In the Super Bowl, between these 3, it is the Cowboys.  The 49ers were good for around 15 years straight, and had a brief run with Harbaugh, but outside of that they were pretty bad.  The Patriots were absolutely terrible for the first 20 years of the super bowl era.  The Cowboys have gone 23 years since winning the super bowl but have been pretty good and I think they have a winning record in the last 23 years.  11/23 years they had a winning record, 4 years at 8-8 and 8 years with a losing record.   The Cowboys have always been in the running to some degree.

green bay packers. most championships in the league 

<end discussion>

for the record, this is a dumb poll with no chance of sparking good discussion. It's not even including the top 3 all time franchises. 

this is equivalent of saying who is better all time: Culpepper or Dilfer
Just 2 of them in the past 53 years.   

Cowboys not close, a lot more to this question than wins and superbowls.

Cowboys have been the face of the league for half a century.

Users who are viewing this thread