What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your walking around anxiety level? (1 Viewer)

What's your day to day - "normal" - anxiety level on a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being the lowest anxie

Votes: 38 15.4%

Votes: 62 25.1%

Votes: 41 16.6%

Votes: 15 6.1%

Votes: 13 5.3%

Votes: 18 7.3%

Votes: 35 14.2%

Votes: 15 6.1%

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
on a day to day basis what's your general anxiety level? 

and if you find yourself in a general state of anxiety of a 6 or higher daily, how can you help me understand how to deal with you better?

Last edited by a moderator:
medicated - 5 or 6

unmedicated - depends, anywhere from a 7 to a 10   :(
:(

what (non-medication) do you find that helps ease your general anxiety? 

do you see a therapist? do you have tricks or tips for calming your mind?

:(

what (non-medication) do you find that helps ease your general anxiety? 

do you see a therapist? do you have tricks or tips for calming your mind?
i have an app on my phone called "breathe", it has a lot of great tools to calm the mind

i also go for afternoon walks around the business park where i work, the fresh air and break from work BS helps

and yeah i go to therapy twice a month, talk therapy helps 

i have an app on my phone called "breathe", it has a lot of great tools to calm the mind

i also go for afternoon walks around the business park where i work, the fresh air and break from work BS helps

and yeah i go to therapy twice a month, talk therapy helps 
do you find your anxiety stems from work stress? personal life? chemical "imbalance"?

has your therapist suggested coping mechanisms? what might those be, if so?

do you find your anxiety stems from work stress? personal life? chemical "imbalance"?

has your therapist suggested coping mechanisms? what might those be, if so?
all three really

therapist suggested breathing exercises, "exercise" in general (going to the gym, etc.), and reaching out to those in your life that you consider "supportive" to talk about things that are going on in my life

anxiety very low & virtually all vested in caring for 2 90+yo parents.

but i gave myself a 2 because i do keep my fingernails long to reduce the temptation to pop folks in public, something i'm almost constantly considering when amongst the throng. it's so bad i dont think i could be forced to rejoin the workaday anymore

all three really

therapist suggested breathing exercises, "exercise" in general (going to the gym, etc.), and reaching out to those in your life that you consider "supportive" to talk about things that are going on in my life
do you find that your anxiety overwhelms your ability to do these things? 

exercise, in particular? 

Mindfulness techniques, ranging from sit-down meditation, to just focusing on breathing work in a pinch. Physical activity is probably the best technique, even if it's a 15 minute walk. 

If it's dealing with your wife- listen to her without trying to solve the problem. Let her vent and get out all of the crap that's banging around in her head that's causing her nervous system to go on full tilt. Be supportive and non-judgmental and reassure her that you love her. Easier said then done, but it works.

Mindfulness techniques, ranging from sit-down meditation, to just focusing on breathing work in a pinch. Physical activity is probably the best technique, even if it's a 15 minute walk. 
do you ever find your anxiety about what else you could be doing instead of meditating, practicing breathing or walking, etc. is so great that you shut down because you can't even do those things?

do you find that your anxiety overwhelms your ability to do these things? 

exercise, in particular? 
i had a bad reaction to another medication i am on (after an increased dosage) and i was basically out of commission for 3-4 days... it was insane.

exercise is good... releases endorphins.  i don't do it enough.

do you ever find your anxiety about what else you could be doing instead of meditating, practicing breathing or walking, etc. is so great that you shut down because you can't even do those things?
Yeah, i do. I think walking around stressed out a lot depletes your neurotransmitters and eventually you go through bouts of severe clinical depression. There's times I'm damn near agoraphobic. My doctor insisted I take an anti depressant when my son got sick. I did it, grudgingly, but I see the benefits now. There's very little another human being can do for me, when I hit that headspace, though, besides give me some space and let me fight my way through it. So, I'm sorry I don't have the best advice.

love, support and encouragement. The hardest part is probably seeing that someone needs professional help, and won't do it. There's still a stigma attached to seeking help with mental health issues, for a lot of people. 

love, support and encouragement. The hardest part is probably seeing that someone needs professional help, and won't do it. There's still a stigma attached to seeking help with mental health issues, for a lot of people. 
i've mentioned this here before but we need to approach mental health much differently than we have in the past... the brain is an organ, just like the lungs, liver or heart.  if you have issues with any of those organs, you of course go to the doctor... for far too long we've ignored the brain.  it might be the most important organ!

there should be no shame/stigma with seeking help for mental health issues.  unfortunately the stigma persists and we've seen a rash of suicides linked to mental health over the past few years... hopefully these tragedies bring mental health to the forefront so people can get the help they so desperately need.

Put 3. 

Its odd because I like my job and generally don’t get too stressed there unless something unexpected comes up. Home life is good, money hasn’t been a problem, etc... it’s all pretty good. 

I think I force myself to carry anxiety though. I used to have panic attacks when I was fat - it was pretty common. After I got fit, those went away.  There’s still that little part of me though that almost forces really minor things to push themselves up and stress me. It’s odd but I think acknowledging it help. 

i've mentioned this here before but we need to approach mental health much differently than we have in the past... the brain is an organ, just like the lungs, liver or heart.  if you have issues with any of those organs, you of course go to the doctor... for far too long we've ignored the brain.  it might be the most important organ!

there should be no shame/stigma with seeking help for mental health issues.  unfortunately the stigma persists and we've seen a rash of suicides linked to mental health over the past few years... hopefully these tragedies bring mental health to the forefront so people can get the help they so desperately need.
i can dispute this, but won't if anyone feels it will deter others from seeking help

ETA: I do indeed, however, agree with & applaud nirad's attempts to demystify the seeking of help for emotional problems

anxiety very low & virtually all vested in caring for 2 90+yo parents.

but i gave myself a 2 because i do keep my fingernails long to reduce the temptation to pop folks in public, something i'm almost constantly considering when amongst the throng. it's so bad i dont think i could be forced to rejoin the workaday anymore
Yeah, I'm very low on the anxiety scale too with the exception of dealing with elderly, stubborn parents (89 & 88). Afternoon rush hour traffic is about the worst thing I have to deal with in life otherwise. Very lucky that way.

i can dispute this, but won't if anyone feels it will deter others from seeking help
OTOH, I'd like to hear your thinking here because I thought nirad's post was very reasonable, modern and compassionate.

When I don't have to deal with other people, it's a 1. 
Now is that because you are by nature an introvert, for whom human interaction is a massive internal energy drain? Or are you just a snot, deeming others to be unworthy of your genius? I don't know enough about you to have an opinion on which you are but the first option is certainly an understandable one. My wife called me a "hermit" just Saturday for turning down a very low-keyed social occasion.

Why Is Life So Hard? - a Freakonomics podcast

"Most of us feel we face more headwinds and obstacles than everyone else — which breeds resentment. We also undervalue the tailwinds that help us — which leaves us ungrateful and unhappy. How can we avoid this trap?"

Right around a 3. 

Only thing I really get anxiety over if I  run out of beer but have had too many to drive to the store to get more.  If I am running late for my Golf League night tee time...or if I have too many players injured on my ROTO BB team.

Why Is Life So Hard? - a Freakonomics podcast

"Most of us feel we face more headwinds and obstacles than everyone else — which breeds resentment. We also undervalue the tailwinds that help us — which leaves us ungrateful and unhappy. How can we avoid this trap?"
I avoid it by feeling excessively guilty instead about the easy life I've had so far. People have always let me slide for some reason. Sometimes it takes them decades to turn on me.

OTOH, I'd like to hear your thinking here because I thought nirad's post was very reasonable, modern and compassionate.
My point is that, unlike with lungs, liver or heart, as nirad cited, organic brain function is a factor in less than 5% of "mental, emotional, behavorial" disorders, the lion's share of those are influenced by hormonal structures, and virtually no cures in that realm are effected by repairing the brain. I wish it were, but our problems are based in the conflict between old and new moral constructs, crossed hierarchies between animal urges and "civilized" behavior, poor health modeling and failure to recognize the stresses of "surviving" lives that are rarely based on survival any longer.

ETA: not to mention a "help" profession based more on creating than curing customers.

My point is that, unlike with lungs, liver or heart, as nirad cited, organic brain function is a factor in less than 5% of "mental, emotional, behavorial" disorders, the lion's share of those are influenced by hormonal structures, and virtually no cures in that realm are effected by repairing the brain. 
brain science is so unfinished that i have a hard time agreeing with this statement as fact

i had a bad reaction to another medication i am on (after an increased dosage) and i was basically out of commission for 3-4 days... it was insane.

exercise is good... releases endorphins.  i don't do it enough.
What was the nature of your bad reaction.  Paxil gave me boner problems.

brain science is so unfinished that i have a hard time agreeing with this statement as fact
the last part is fact and will be for quite some time. and the first part is a pretty good estimation

but i get your point. thing is that the brain is so elastic that it can override almost every challenge to it from a life standpoint. with everything from trauma shock to spectrum imbalances to abusive upbringing, it is the task instructor/monitor capacity that is poorly assembled or broken (which is 100% a factor of life, not physiology), not the instrument which houses it. that, of course, can be changed but presently there isn't even a significant move toward doing so, so i am not hopeful

I take Paxil, it has done wonders for my day to day anxiety with no side effects, not even boner problems  :lmao:
At first it was okay. It just delayed the finish .Then I couldn't finish. Then I couldn't even start. 

Switched my daily to Citalopram and I was back in the game .

Users who are viewing this thread