What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your walking around anxiety level? (1 Viewer)

What's your day to day - "normal" - anxiety level on a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being the lowest anxie

Votes: 38 15.4%

Votes: 62 25.1%

Votes: 41 16.6%

Votes: 15 6.1%

Votes: 13 5.3%

Votes: 18 7.3%

Votes: 35 14.2%

Votes: 15 6.1%

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters
I got a degree in MIS, got what was supposed to be the dream job out of college back then with Dell.  5 months in I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I sure as hell knew that wasn't it.

Buddy was selling wine for Gallo and got me in.  I've been told many times that my superiors or hiring managers "weren't sure why" I was doing well, or why they wanted to hire me, or why they were promoting me.  I don't fit the mold.

I honestly think I do well in sales because over time people realize i'm not your typical "salesman".. I'm kind of quiet and listen well.  I don't light up a room but I earn lasting trust and relationships.  I learn my business and customers, I'm patient.  Sooner or later it works out in my favor.  :shrug:

Don't get me wrong.. I put on a good face.  I'm not a downer.  I smile and laugh and listen.
That's cool. I did similar. Got a degree in Computer Science, took a job working from home and was sitting in front of a computer for 15 hours a day. Hated it like poison, but felt stuck.

when i started to notice the company I was working for death spiralling, i got my stuff together and went back to school to get my RN license. Part of the draw was that I'd be constantly interacting with people, and the other part was doing something I felt was worthwhile every day. That's gone a long way toward managing my stress levels.

Way too high, but it’s been that way all my life.  I learn to cope better with age, but with age has come more stress so I suppose it balances out.

Meditate.  Regardless of what else you do, meditation can be added for marked improvement.

That's cool. I did similar. Got a degree in Computer Science, took a job working from home and was sitting in front of a computer for 15 hours a day. Hated it like poison, but felt stuck.

when i started to notice the company I was working for death spiralling, i got my stuff together and went back to school to get my RN license. Part of the draw was that I'd be constantly interacting with people, and the other part was doing something I felt was worthwhile every day. That's gone a long way toward managing my stress levels.
Bizarre.  I was just researching doing the exact same thing.  I’m in my 40’s though ?.  Although I would have liked to have begun earlier I’m not so sure I would have been cut out for it.  I’ve changed with age.

Contributing to the thread in a meaningful way, I'd say my anxiety level is actually pretty high. 6 or 7, really. I have elderly parents and a host of issues to be dealt with within the next five or so years. It's a bit daunting, actually.  
I hear ya, gb.  I posted a 7, but that's the baseline.

Then again, I might be the only one in this thread that had a high enough stress level, for a long enough period of time (somehow didn't die, though got real close a couple times apparently - the easy part was finding out I had 230/140 BP when I went in for back treatments, the real test was getting a foot of my intestine taken out from diverticulitis and complications.

So the 7, if anything, is a significantly lower baseline than a constant redline, day to day, minute to minute, that I lived prior. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya, gb.  I posted a 7, but that's the baseline.

Then again, I might be the only one in this thread that had a high enough stress level, for a long enough period of time (somehow didn't die, though got real close a couple times apparently - the easy part was finding out I had 230/140 BP when I went in for back treatments, the real tested was getting a foot of my intestine taken out from diverticulitis and complications.

So the 7, if anything, is a significantly lower baseline than a constant redline, day to day, minute to minute, that I lived prior. 
Wow. Good to hear you're still maintaining along after the bout with diverticulitis. I remember that you had written about it. It inspired me to harp on people to go see the doctor when they noticed something wrong because I got strep or staph in my arm while ignoring a bump (they still don't know what it was). Keep on keeping on, GB.  :hifive:

Wow. Good to hear you're still maintaining along after the bout with diverticulitis. I remember that you had written about it. It inspired me to harp on people to go see the doctor when they noticed something wrong because I got strep or staph in my arm while ignoring a bump (they still don't know what it was). Keep on keeping on, GB.  :hifive:
Thanks. The irony is, in large part because of @Tremendous Upside 's passing, I was actually diligent about seeing the Doc because I knew something wasn't right.  And the ####ers totally misdiagnosed the ####, putting me if not on deaths door, like the next door over, at best.

To put into perspective how overly driven / stupid / workaholic I was, I wouldn't go to the doctor for a week or so, because I had a big presentation to give to this regional council - it was a friday late morning, and I had to suck it up all week to get through but was ok.  I literally gave my presentation, went to the office to drop stuff off, and went to the doctor.  Within about a minute, no exaggeration, of the examination, doc hits this spot in my gut and I give a howling yell.  OMG so bad.  He's like, ok, you're going to the hospital.

I'm like, #### that, it's the weekend. I'm going home, gonna smoke some weed, and it will be ok - like it's been every weekend.

Nope. Went to the hospital. That was when they FINALLY diagnosed me, after 5 days in there. Life ain't been the same since, but has the chance to be so much better, now. 

And a 7 is still (sadly) a #### ton less pressure than back then.

Pre-Trump: easy 1

Now: I’ve been tense, anxious, angry, and frankly a bad Christian for the past 18 months. He makes me want to be a bad person and do bad things. 10, day in and day out. I’m miserable and my wife hates me more than usual. (Pre-emptive parenthetical: I’m not a liberal, not a snowflake—isn’t it about time we move on from the schoolyard name-calling, by the way, despite the ongoing endorsement by our great leader? Are we not adults?)

mr. furley said:
forgot about the dentist. easily a 53 on a 1-10 scale.
Well, no kidding. Who wouldn't be anxious about a guy trying to poop on your chest?

No.  I don’t feel like I would be in control like I am with smoking, so I assume this would make my anxiety skyrocket.  
If there is one thing all my years on this board have taught me it's this: You'd absolutely be able to destroy you some edibles.  Anxiety skyrocketing?  Screw that.  We want video of you stuffing 15 dabs into your gob while wearing one of those Bobby Bowden straw hats (Bearcat themed, of course).

on a day to day basis what's your general anxiety level? 

and if you find yourself in a general state of anxiety of a 6 or higher daily, how can you help me understand how to deal with you better?
It was 8-10 most of my life.

About 6 years ago the anxiety changed to contempt.

No.  I don’t feel like I would be in control like I am with smoking, so I assume this would make my anxiety skyrocket.  
Very few things worse than greening out. If consuming too much hits everyone like it hits me, you’re looking at a long, drawn out panic attack. It’s pretty awful. 

Bizarre.  I was just researching doing the exact same thing.  I’m in my 40’s though ?.  Although I would have liked to have begun earlier I’m not so sure I would have been cut out for it.  I’ve changed with age.
It's never too late. If you have any questions in the process, hit me up.

I voted 2 since I could always be more relaxed than my normal day at work or of working around the house. A one would be lounging in the sun poolside with a cold adult beverage.

I was always somewhat reserved growing up ... avoid crowds, people I didn't know. Wouldn't go to a prom. Anxiety was a 7 or 9 in those situations. But I willingly put myself in high stress (anxiety) situations as an adult ...

- raced off-road motorcycles - imagine you're lined up, handle bar to handle bar, with 30 other racers, with another line of 30 in front ... and 5 more rows of 30 behind. 

Silence as the 10 second to start warning is given. Gun fires and 30 bikes start up simultaneously and your entire row takes off towards a trail wide enough for two bikes. Did this for years and still felt like I was gonna wet my pants at every start .. even though I knew I took a wiz 5 mins prior. Wasn't just me. I remember a guy lined up next to me, asked me to hold his bike up while he went to wiz. I guarantee he got it out and the well was dry. Funny how nerves go right to your bladder. That's what I would consider an anxiety level 10.

Race Start

- adult organized team sports (Basketball) - Sounds fairly stress free ... but when you line up against complete strangers who are looking to prove they are better than you .. and lots of spectators looking on, family, friends, other players, ... tends to be stressy.  More so before the game starts. Seems that once you're out there for 5 mins, everything goes back to being about the game ... and arguing with the refs.

I think these events helped numb the anxiety levels that I would have normally had in my regular daily situations and I'm thankful that my competitive nature gave me the courage to do them. 

I have two, still <1

I feel a lot of anxiety is trying to control things out of your control or focusing on things that aren't happening  "now". It's usually stress over future or past issues.

Can you do anything about your issue right now?

Yes...good, do it.

No, ok, stop worrying. It doesn't help. 
Completely agree and well stated.  Worry about the things you can control and not about the rest. Makes stress much lower. 

Interesting bimodal distribution. Most of the time I'm at a 1 or 2, but I've been near 10 a few times when overwhelmed by a crowd. I've experienced a couple panic attacks. Now I avoid stadiums full of people and places like Costco at the wrong time as much as possible. 

Edit: sorry furley, I didn't answer the question. Kind of you to ask. I only recommended being slow to judge. If you haven't been there it's hard to grasp an irrational fear. 

I have PTSD related to combat, diagnosed and confirmed. 

I fear no man but crowds, like big crowds, now bother me. It’s the sounds and sudden movements, football games are the worst. Concerts not good either because it’s so loud, I get distracted. 

Epic Problem said:
Very few things worse than greening out. If consuming too much hits everyone like it hits me, you’re looking at a long, drawn out panic attack. It’s pretty awful. 
Pretty bad episode a few weeks ago.  Uncontrollable full body shivering for hours.  Wife almost called 911. 

Good times. 

I have no issue with having PTSD, don’t care what people think, and never wanted anyone to pity me. I don’t even tell friends I have it, it’s not important. 

I do actively participate in charity functions to assist those people with PTSD, traumatic brain injuries, and other disturbances. We should all empathize when possible, it’s human and stuff. 

Because when somebody puts their country on their ###, it should stop. I know what you're arguing, have heard friends argue it, and still disagree. We do our duty to country at some point, and when we come back affected, we don't expect people should question the ramifications. This isn't cool, dude.  

on a day to day basis what's your general anxiety level? 

and if you find yourself in a general state of anxiety of a 6 or higher daily, how can you help me understand how to deal with you better?
Your day to day anxiety level gets normalized in your mind. I lived for ten years in Sao Paulo where walking on the streets after dark was only something you did after serious contemplation on risks, where muggings and carjackings could occur at any moments, where kidnappings were a regularly occuring thing. I didn't notice my anxiety level was elevated until I moced to Denmark and I could physically feel myself relaxing, I could feel the tension draining away.

An anecdote to illustrate: we bought a house in Copenhagen with a yard that had hedges on all sides so tall no one could look in. There was a small gate (unlocked) out to the street. The first couple of months after we moved in we had many a time where my wife and I couldn't hear the kids playing outside and had to check if they were alright because they could have been kidnapped. That faded over time.

We all should question it.

They should question their own actions.
You should take your own advice here and question your own actions instead of always blaming your actions  on your mommy and daddy.  

I had an brutally sucky alcoholic mom also. She slept with all the neighbors also. I chose to take a different path. You obviously haven't chosen a different path by bragging about how much you drink and do drugs. You'd think a genius would figure out out to choose a better path that would lead to a better life. Instead, you choose EVERYDAY to repeat the same behaviors and make every excuse in the world to not reach out and get serious help.

And now you're all judgmental on DrD.   GTFO with that ####.

You should take your own advice here and question your own actions instead of always blaming your actions  on your mommy and daddy.  

I had an brutally sucky alcoholic mom also. She slept with all the neighbors also. I chose to take a different path. You obviously haven't chosen a different path by bragging about how much you drink and do drugs. You'd think a genius would figure out out to choose a better path that would lead to a better life. Instead, you choose EVERYDAY to repeat the same behaviors and make every excuse in the world to not reach out and get serious help.

Bragged about drinking and drugs? 

I’m pretty sure you are exaggerating and didn’t deal with anything near what I did. You are making this up just to feel better about yourself and get some meaningless support from others.

Nice try. You almost got me

I’m pretty sure you are exaggerating and didn’t deal with anything near what I did. You are making this up just to feel better about yourself and get some meaningless support from others.

Nice try. You almost got me
It did get to you.   You've quoted this post three times now because you know it's all true. 

I've posted about my mom 3-4 times over the years here.  I've moved out when I was 17 1/2. Right after she yanked the telephone off the wall one halloween and dented my dads forehead with it.  Decided right then I would not engage with her for five years after ten years of dealing with that #### so I could get myself through college and give her time to get help because I finally realized I could not help her. Worst and best decision I ever made.

Went to school FT, worked FT. Decided I would never drink the way she did, her mom did, her dad did, her brother did, and her sister did.  Wanted no part of that life.   You refuse to make that choice. You just choose to repeat all the behaviors you never asked for, but were passed down to you by alcoholism. WTF up.

Users who are viewing this thread