What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (4 Viewers)

I think everyone probably agrees that there is a line.  A vacancy that comes up the week before the election should wait to be filled.  18 months would obviously be well outside the line.  Probably most unbiased people agree Garland was far enough away to be outside the line and voted on.  Where the line actually is...   :shrug:
The line is where the US Constitution draws it.  So, from a legal perspective that is exactly where the GOP needs to stop.

I think everyone probably agrees that there is a line.  A vacancy that comes up the week before the election should wait to be filled.  18 months would obviously be well outside the line.  Probably most unbiased people agree Garland was far enough away to be outside the line and voted on.  Where the line actually is...   :shrug:
There is no line. The President has the duty to nominate and the Senate has a duty to hold hearings and advise and consent or reject. 

And you got it.

But that's not actually what you were expecting anyways.
Yes, I am sure that you - the most fervent Trump fan on this board, would have just stood by if the democrats controlled the senate and refused to bring a vote up for a Trump nominee because it was in an election year. And I am sure you would just stand by if in 4 years, a conservative justice died and during an election year and they decided to forget their thoughts on election year replacements and brought someone up for a vote.

Yes, I am sure you wouldn't litter these threads with disdain for the hypocritical lefties

Yes, I am sure that you - the most fervent Trump fan on this board, would have just stood by if the democrats controlled the senate and refused to bring a vote up for a Trump nominee because it was in an election year. And I am sure you would just stand by if in 4 years, a conservative justice died and during an election year and they decided to forget their thoughts on election year replacements and brought someone up for a vote.

Yes, I am sure you wouldn't litter these threads with disdain for the hypocritical lefties
So then why did you ask if you wanted a canned response and already "knew" the answer?  You were disingenuous in the first place - that makes you the dishonest one, not me.

The problem is, you think I'm a rabid Trump supporter - I'm not. I vote for him and hold my nose because I see the bigger picture and what nominating Democrats has done to this country.  I wish we had someone better than him in there to represent the GOP.  But we don't.  I'm more anti-Democrat than I am pro-Trump.

I disagree on the ‘no matter what’. If they confirm an ultra conservative judge some may be less motivated to vote Trump. If they leave that ‘immediate new Supreme Court Justice hanging out in the election, it could very will be the reason why Trump gets another 4 years. Mitch is a lot of things but he knows the political game. My guess is that if he thinks Trump has any chance of winning, he’ll turn the seat into a campaign issue.
Couldn’t disagree more.  The SCOTUS nomination is the prize.  Trump’s re-election is a means to that end.

If Im a Democrat, there is zero percent chance I allow a new justice to be seated before the election. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but the Republicans started this pathetic precedent. 

So then why did you ask if you wanted a canned response and already "knew" the answer?  You were disingenuous in the first place - that makes you the dishonest one, not me.

The problem is, you think I'm a rabid Trump supporter - I'm not. I vote for him and hold my nose because I see the bigger picture and what nominating Democrats has done to this country.  I wish we had someone better than him in there to represent the GOP.  But we don't.  I'm more anti-Democrat than I am pro-Trump.
Preach

If Im a Democrat, there is zero percent chance I allow a new justice to be seated before the election. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but the Republicans started this pathetic precedent. 
No they didn't.

And I don't know how any Democrat can stop a Senate vote unless some GOP Senators defect to their side.

Educate me....and I don’t say that as snark
It's simple - the GOP has a majority in the senate.  To nominate and vote on a senator all they need is 50 votes, with the VP being the tie breaker.

Even if all Democrats disappeared and didn't vote, the GOP could still push one thru.  No single democrat has any power to stop a nomination and a vote UNLESS they can convince 3 or 4 GOP Senators to vote "nay".

It's simple - the GOP has a majority in the senate.  To nominate and vote on a senator all they need is 50 votes, with the VP being the tie breaker.

Even if all Democrats disappeared and didn't vote, the GOP could still push one thru.  No single democrat has any power to stop a nomination and a vote UNLESS they can convince 3 or 4 GOP Senators to vote "nay".
Thanks, but I was referring to the first comment 

Couldn’t disagree more.  The SCOTUS nomination is the prize.  Trump’s re-election is a means to that end.
Sorry maybe my post was poorly written but that was my point.

Rush nominee before election -> less motivation to vote Trump 

Making an election prize -> Trump re-election.

Not to mention that it also will motivate voters to keep the Senate majority. I really doubt Mitch tries push someone through. Which means Trump will try to get him to do it.

Murkowski, Collins, Grassley, and Romney have all publicly stated they will not seat another Supreme Court Justice until after the next inauguration. Obviously that isn’t a binding promise, but it’s been made. 

These people are avaricious opportunists. They won’t risk losing the Senate, the Presidency AND a USSC seat. They’ll do it now.
And they should.   Obamacare  straight dem.   Trump impeachment  on junk charges.   Payback hurts.   But.   U gotta take your medicine, pup.

No chance all follow through.
Romney was post-death.

Murkowski was today, but I think before news broke.

Grassley - that was a long time ago, and I agree he will be weighing the political cost.

Collins - I have no idea.  She may realize she is losing her seat either way, and just says #### it, lets get a new justice.  But I think she will say "no" for now.

These people are avaricious opportunists. They won’t risk losing the Senate, the Presidency AND a USSC seat. They’ll do it now.
No the Republicans need to do this stat to avoid another prolonged Democrat sideshow smear campaign like they did to Kavanuagh. Waiting until after President Trump wins only gives Democrats a chance to run their shtick again. 

Romney likely will, and if Murkowski or Collins don’t, they’ll lose their elections. Probably badly. 
Romney will because he’s still American before GOP.  The rest of them?  Look at how they’ve sat and watched Trump run.  They’ll vote and take their hero status even if it costs them an election.  

this is a multi-generational opportunity for a party-over-country GOP and they will not be denied.

Romney was post-death.

Murkowski was today, but I think before news broke.

Grassley - that was a long time ago, and I agree he will be weighing the political cost.

Collins - I have no idea.  She may realize she is losing her seat either way, and just says #### it, lets get a new justice.  But I think she will say "no" for now.
I think the vote will happen after the election. So the question is if Collins loses (and assuming Trump loses), what does she do?  I think she’d be inclined to do something that is viewed as principled and courageous on the way out. But I don’t know enough about her to make a meaningful prediction. 

The GOP had been pushed around for 50 years in the Supreme Court nomination process steamrolled by Democrat's hypocrisy.   The Supreme Court should have had a 7-2 conservative tilt had the GOP weren't so afraid of the media.  When the GOP finally fought back and got Gorsuch (who btw is going to end up being far more moderate than Garland woukd have been) it was anout time.  100 percrnt proud of what they did to protect a conservative seat.  Democrats would have done the same in a heartbeat to protect a liberal seat as we will soon see, and it is stupid to even argue they wouldn't have.  

Well. Trump is the President, Doesn't the constitution  address this?
The Constitution says that the President has the power to nominate and the Senate has advisement and consent. The problem is that McConnell vomited all over the Constitution, he created a new rule and “conservatives” let him.

I think the vote will happen after the election. So the question is if Collins loses (and assuming Trump loses), what does she do?  I think she’d be inclined to do something that is viewed as principled and courageous on the way out. But I don’t know enough about her to make a meaningful prediction. 
If the election goes the way of the Dems - meaning they get control of the WH and Senate - then I think two things happen.

First, Kelly would replace McSally as early as late November - that is a special election, not a regular election.  That would put the Senate at 52-48, and it would take only 3 rogue Republicans.

Second, the fact that it is RBG being replaced, gives people like Romney a little cover, in the sense that it is not shifting the balance of the SC the way replacing Scalia with a liberal justice would have.  I can see Romney, Murkowski, and perhaps Collins relying on that fact in refusing to push a nominee through If the election went against them.

The Constitution says that the President has the power to nominate and the Senate has advisement and consent. The problem is that McConnell vomited all over the Constitution, he created a new rule and “conservatives” let him.
I think Obama nominated garland.   Shouldn't Trump  nominate who he wants?   The senate can do what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have anything in particular to add to this conversation other than this is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the United States at this particular moment.  Obviously I would love to see the court move more to the right, but it's insane that we allow this sort of thing to come down to when a particular justice happens to pass, and it's even worse that this happens with an election right around the corner.  I worry that this is an election-altering event.

Users who are viewing this thread