Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

******Official SCOTUS Thread******

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The Constitution says that the President has the power to nominate and the Senate has advisement and consent. The problem is that McConnell vomited all over the Constitution, he created a new rule and “conservatives” let him.

I think Obama nominated garland.   Shouldn't Trump  nominate who he wants?   The senate can do what they do.

Edited by quick-hands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have anything in particular to add to this conversation other than this is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the United States at this particular moment.  Obviously I would love to see the court move more to the right, but it's insane that we allow this sort of thing to come down to when a particular justice happens to pass, and it's even worse that this happens with an election right around the corner.  I worry that this is an election-altering event.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

I think Obama nominated garland.   Shouldn't Trump  nominate who he wants?   The senate can do what they do.

Please don’t be insincere. You know McConnell claimed a Justice could not be approved in an election year. And the Constitution gives consent to the whole Senate, not the Senate Majority Leader.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I want to add for the record that I always liked RBG.  Not her judicial philosophy so much, but she seemed to have lived her best life.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

I think Obama nominated garland.   Shouldn't Trump  nominate who he wants?   The senate can do what they do.

Unfortunately he  also nominated the racist Sotomayor.

Hopefully we get someone more centrist as RBG was at the beginning of her term.

Edited by Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Unfortunately he  also nominated the racist Sotomayor.

Hopefully we get someone more centrist as RBG was at the beginning of her term.

Sotomayor was not racist. Her comments were taken out of context and mischaracterized (which was well documented in threads at that time if you wish to research that).

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

Sotomayor was not racist. Her comments were taken out of context and mischaracterized (which was well documented in threads at that time if you wish to research that).

How was this taken out of context?

Court Topples Sotomayor Ruling In Firefighter Case The Supreme Court has ruled that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bert said:

How was this taken out of context?

Court Topples Sotomayor Ruling In Firefighter Case The Supreme Court has ruled that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

The big stink calling her racist was  her comments at some seminar about a "proud Latina" not the above you quoted.

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Please don’t be insincere. You know McConnell claimed a Justice could not be approved in an election year. And the Constitution gives consent to the whole Senate, not the Senate Majority Leader.

How is his comment insincere? Did Obama not nominate Garland?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Sorry maybe my post was poorly written but that was my point.

Rush nominee before election -> less motivation to vote Trump 

Making an election prize -> Trump re-election.

Not to mention that it also will motivate voters to keep the Senate majority. I really doubt Mitch tries push someone through. Which means Trump will try to get him to do it.

My belief is that the biggest WIN of a Trump re-election is a SCOTUS nomination.

They have it today.  They’re stupid and insane to make it a “vote” Trump card.  
 

The only reason many will consider voting for him is to appoint THIS SCOTUS seat.  Not doing so now would be an abject failure. 
 

People will turn on him if he doesn’t make the appointment when he gas e bird in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don't have anything in particular to add to this conversation other than this is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the United States at this particular moment.  Obviously I would love to see the court move more to the right, but it's insane that we allow this sort of thing to come down to when a particular justice happens to pass, and it's even worse that this happens with an election right around the corner.  I worry that this is an election-altering event.

Which scenario makes it most likely that Trump is re-elected, in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, squistion said:

The big stink calling her racist was  her comments at some seminar about a "proud Latina" not the above you quoted.

I don't care about the comment....I care about an actual ruling she made as a judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Which scenario makes it most likely that Trump is re-elected, in your opinion?

I honestly don't know.  I'm deeply biased on this so I don't take my own views too seriously.

My Good-Government Fantasy Land: Trump rams trough a conservative nominee.  Trump loses to Biden.  SCOTUS eventually overturns Roe.  

My Hellscape: This seat stays open for a bit and Trump uses it as a campaign issue.  Trump wins.  Four more years of this.  JFC.

If this seat hangs open and Biden fills it, that's probably a win too, but that's not how this is supposed to work,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bert said:

I don't care about the comment....I care about an actual ruling she made as a judge.

I don't even remember anyone talking about that case. I would want to see the exact details and news about that case before I would agree that would prove she is a racist.

Edited by squistion
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I honestly don't know.  I'm deeply biased on this so I don't take my own views too seriously.

My Good-Government Fantasy Land: Trump rams trough a conservative nominee.  Trump loses to Biden.  SCOTUS eventually overturns Roe.  

My Hellscape: This seat stays open for a bit and Trump uses it as a campaign issue.  Trump wins.  Four more years of this.  JFC.

If this seat hangs open and Biden fills it, that's probably a win too, but that's not how this is supposed to work,

 

 I don't see this as any realistic possibility. Win or lose, Trump is filling this seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

 I don't see this as any realistic possibility. Win or lose, Trump is filling this seat.

The rewards for not voting in 2016 is going to bit the progressive movement for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

There is no line. The President has the duty to nominate and the Senate has a duty to hold hearings and advise and consent or reject. 

It appears that is not true. There was no legal means to force the Senate to do anything.  The GOP paid no price for their political power play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mile High said:

The rewards for not voting in 2016 is going to bit the progressive movement for years. 

@KiddLattimer - Mile High just articulated the point I was trying to make previously.  If someone in your position were to have not voted Hillary for the same reasons you say you don’t want to vote for Biden then they may inadvertently have given Trump the opportunity to replace RBG with someone much farther right.  Your #1 goal gets subverted by your own vote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mile High said:

The rewards for not voting in 2016 is going to bit the progressive movement for years. 

This is the same mistake parties and especially leftist always make.  They win one election and they believe the other side is dead and completely overplay their hand.  And two years later there is a massive shift the other direction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

@KiddLattimer - Mile High just articulated the point I was trying to make previously.  If someone in your position were to have not voted Hillary for the same reasons you say you don’t want to vote for Biden then they may inadvertently have given Trump the opportunity to replace RBG with someone much farther right.  Your #1 goal gets subverted by your own vote.

It's a fair point... as I said in the other thread I would have been far more torn if I lived in a swing state.

I do think far too much blame falls on the progressive non-voters and third party voters and not enough blame on HRC's campaign making poor decisions on which states were sewn up. 

I definitely get what you're saying though.

Edited by KiddLattimer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a housekeeping request, not directed at either political "side"...

Can we keep this thread about SCOTUS cases, arguments, and decisions, and use the nomination thread(s) to talk about nominations, candidates, confirmation votes, etc.?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vladimir Putin would be solidly in favor of expanding the Court under Biden. That would go a long way toward delegitimizing the judiciary and discrediting constitutional democracy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

I have the feeling this will another statement of Graham's along the lines of "that was then and this is now".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

I have the feeling this will another statement of Graham's along the lines of "that was then and this is now".

He’ll explain it away.

Some People will act shocked and appalled.  And then everyone will say how the GOP all sold their souls.  Then we’ll move on.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

So 4 1/2 years with 8 SCOTUS members if this is honored?  I doubt that is going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

While I have the upmost respect for her and her work:

 

SCOTUS appointments are for life.  They aren’t until you’re happy with being replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump 54m

@GOP We were put in this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices. We have this obligation, without delay!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jm192 said:

While I have the upmost respect for her and her work:

 

SCOTUS appointments are for life.  They aren’t until you’re happy with being replaced.

Technically, this isn't true.  Justices can retire at any time and certainly have been known to do so at opportune times in terms of strategic replacement.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

Somebody in another thread was questioning whether this quote is authentic. I understand that it's relayed via a relative, but if it's supposed to be word for word, I share a bit of skepticism. "Installed" is a slightly odd choice there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Technically, this isn't true.  Justices can retire at any time and certainly have been known to do so at opportune times in terms of strategic replacement.

You’re correct and I thought that after I made the post.  I fully believe her hope was to resign after Biden won in November.
 

I guess my bigger point is that you don’t have control or say over the spot after death.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Somebody in another thread was questioning whether this quote is authentic. I understand that it's relayed via a relative, but if it's supposed to be word for word, I share a bit of skepticism. "Installed" is a slightly odd choice there.

She was referring to after Inaugeration day.

I can't prove it but I am certain the quote is authentic. She probably knew she was dying and the statement is one I would have expected from her.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jm192 said:

You’re correct and I thought that after I made the post.  I fully believe her hope was to resign after Biden won in November was sworn in in January.
 

I guess my bigger point is that you don’t have control or say over the spot after death.

One minor correction, but yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rich Conway said:

One minor correction, but yeah.

Haha I’m slacking.  Let me get some coffee and come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:
16 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

Somebody in another thread was questioning whether this quote is authentic. I understand that it's relayed via a relative, but if it's supposed to be word for word, I share a bit of skepticism. "Installed" is a slightly odd choice there.

"new president" is a pretty odd choice too. Did she seriously want the government to wait 4 more years if Trump wins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

"new president" is a pretty odd choice too. Did she seriously want the government to wait 4 more years if Trump wins?

No, of course not. "New" being newly elected or elected for the next term. I think people are getting too hung over semantics here...

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, squistion said:

She was referring to after Inaugeration day.

I can't prove it but I am certain the quote is authentic. She probably knew she was dying and the statement is one I would have expected from her.

Of course you are. 😂

This is how it normally works right, she makes the rules once she passes away? Just how it was for everyone before her? Wow, never surprised anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

@KiddLattimer - Mile High just articulated the point I was trying to make previously.  If someone in your position were to have not voted Hillary for the same reasons you say you don’t want to vote for Biden then they may inadvertently have given Trump the opportunity to replace RBG with someone much farther right.  Your #1 goal gets subverted by your own vote.

Yup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Of course you are. 😂

This is how it normally works right, she makes the rules once she passes away? Just how it was for everyone before her? Wow, never surprised anymore. 

No, this statement was consistent for the views she articulated during her lifetime.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, squistion said:

No, of course not. "New" being newly elected or elected for the next term. I think people are getting too hung over semantics here...

We all know as one of the premier jurists in the country that she would have been precise with her words.  If this is what she said this is what she meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sand said:

We all know as one of the premier jurists in the country that she would have been precise with her words.  If this is what she said this is what she meant.

I think she was being precise.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, squistion said:

I think she was being precise.  :shrug:

In that case if we honor it and Trump wins we wait until 2025 to fill her spot.   That statement, if she said it, was clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I'd prefer AOC but she hasn't been to law school so it's a bit of a stretch.

Not for our politicians.  Both sides are excellent at appointing unqualified people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, squistion said:

She was referring to after Inaugeration day.

I can't prove it but I am certain the quote is authentic. She probably knew she was dying and the statement is one I would have expected from her.

:lmao:

I can't prove it, but I am certain the Trump 2019 economy was the best ever.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1307416737537822721

BREAKING.

Susan Collins: "In fairness to the American people, who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1307416737537822721

BREAKING.

Susan Collins: "In fairness to the American people, who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd."

All that pearl clutching for nothing.  Though, I guess the fear does fill election coffers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hill @thehill 2h

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee are calling on GOP chair Lindsey Graham not to bring a vote on a Supreme Court nominee until next year: "There cannot be one set of rules for a Republican President and one set for a Democratic President"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517233-judiciary-dems-urge-graham-to-delay-supreme-court-nominee-until-next-year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Looks like we are back to flooding the threads with twitter again.  Sigh

Yeah, what the hell is this?  It was so nice around here for a few weeks when a certain poster was on vacation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.