What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wide Open TE Battles (1 Viewer)

ZWK

Footballguy
I count 9 teams where the TE position is pretty up-in-the-air, where it's hard to predict whether a given player will be the team's lead TE or the 3rd stringer (or off the team). Most of these teams probably won't get a ton of fantasy production from the TE spot, but in TE premium and deeper leagues it still seems worth tracking some of these battles and trying to pick who will win them.

NYJ: Jordan Leggett, Chris Herndon, Clive Walford, Eric Tomlinson

MIA: Mike Gesicki, MarQueis Gray, AJ Derby, Durham Smythe

BAL: Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Maxx Williams

HOU: Ryan Griffin, Stephen Anderson, Jordan Akins

DEN: Jeff Heuerman, Jake Butt, Austin Traylor, Troy Fumagalli, Matt LaCosse

LAC: Virgil Green, Braedon Bowman, [FA Antonio Gates]

DAL: Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swaim, Rico Gathers, Dalton Schultz

DET: Luke Willson, Michael Roberts, Sean McGrath, Levine Toilolo

SEA: Ed Dickson, Nick Vannett, Will Dissly

The Cowboys' TE battle already has its own thread (plus a fair amount of discussion in the Gathers thread), but I haven't seen as much on the other 8. Who do you like to win these roles, and who do you like to have decent receiving production if he does manage to win his team's lead TE role? Who has shined this spring? Will Gesicki & Hurst step in as rookies? Will Gates re-sign and spend another year with the Chargers? Will lower-upside next-man-up guys like Ryan Griffin, Virgil Green, Luke Willson, and Ed Dickson hang on to the starting job or will they get pushed by guys with more receiving chops? Which teams will even have TE fantasy value, and which will mostly just have a blocker at TE or go 4-wide a lot like the ASJ-less Jets have often done? What are the chances that a non-Gates FA like Fleener, Brent Celek, or Gary Barnidge joins one of these teams and eats a big chunk of the TE work.

good topic, thanks for starting it.

NYJ: I'll throw in Bucky Hodges to the mix. The winner next year will have a young QB to bond with, for better or worse. Walford in my favorite this year

MIA: Gesicki will get opportunity to play split out, don't expect much

Balt: Hurst has a wide open shot, though i worry about a potential QB change this year. Williams has been a huge disappointment

Hou: I have no idea, but I don't value the TE position with a strong 3 WR set

Den: I like Butt to win. Heard good things in camp.

LAC: this is  where i think a FA signs in camp. Not much there and Rivers likes to utilize the TE. Justin Thomas?

DAL: is a CF but for end of bench fliers, totally worth the risk premium. Dak need someone to throw to

DET: Wilson is my bet, but with strong 3 WRs, including a big target, not  much here

SEA: No idea what the new OC will  bring and a bad OL. I like Vannett, but honestly don't see more than 40 receptions

So I would target Hurst and Butt... the winner in NYJ and maybe the FA in LAC for this year in deeper leagues

Dickson will win the Seattle job and he's a nice sleeper in deep drafts like the FFPC best ball format.

Hurst in Bal even if Lamar takes over he threw to his TEs so it’s not that big of a deal IMHO

Mia its Gesicki’s job to lose.

Tex

Right now I have Ed Dickson and Luke Willson as the favorites for most snaps, followed by Blake Jarwin and Hayden Hurst. That makes them decent options late in deep draft-only best ball leagues. With Dickson & Willson, that's mainly based on the fact that they've been adequate TEs in the past, and were brought in as FAs on teams that didn't have much at TE and didn't add much else this offseason.

I think that Gesicki and Stephen Anderson have the most upside, if they manage to win the starting job, followed by Hurst. Hurst & Gesicki were earlyish draft picks this year, and Gesicki has insane athleticism and was clearly brought in to be a receiver rather than a blocker. Anderson was an athletic WR/TE tweener out of Cal a couple years ago, and he managed to earn a decent-sized role late last year (he didn't do much with it, but he did have Savage throwing the ball).

Other than those 6, I see the most potential for the young mid-round draft picks: Mark Andrews (2018 pick 86), Jordan Akins (2018 pick 98), Chris Herndon (2018 pick 107), Jake Butt (2017 pick 145), Nick Vannett (2016 pick 94), and Jeff Heuerman (2015 pick 92). And also Rico Gathers, whose hype train has lost some steam but still has a couple months to get it together and re-emerge as a receiving threat.

Jake Butt and Stephen Anderson are 2 of my favorite TE fliers this year.  Very under the radar types that are typically undrafted.  

vance mcdonald v. jesse james?
That one is more of a committee situation, where the question is how big a share of the load each guy will get. Similar to LAR, TB, IND, SF, and maybe CHI, NO, ARI, or CLE. If we add in CIN & WAS (where the lead guy has big injury questions), along with TEN & PHI (where the #2 guy might get a significant workload), then we're talking about most of the league. I kept my OP focused on the teams where there's deeper uncertainty about the TE position, although I don't know - maybe it would be better to open it up to include all the TE battles?

What about the Colts? No one sees Ebron doing anything & Jack Doyle as top 10 finish again in PPR?
pretty high price tags for two TEs sharing TE duties...obviously we expect Reich to feature TE but to what degree is a big unknown.   I've been passing on the Indy TEs in best ball formats.

Whoever emerges in LAC is the only guy I'm interested in for redrafts. The other teams don't seem to consistently utilize the TE position.

Dickson will win the Seattle job and he's a nice sleeper in deep drafts like the FFPC best ball format.
I like Vannett and am trying to make room for him in dynasty. Dickson has never appeared to be more than a JAG for me. I just recall a few games last year when I saw Vannett make plays and thinking "#### don't tell me Seattle has found another tight end." I'll take a shot at that potential on a team that was very TE-heavy in the red zone last year.

pretty high price tags for two TEs sharing TE duties...obviously we expect Reich to feature TE but to what degree is a big unknown.   I've been passing on the Indy TEs in best ball formats.
I think Ebron can be used more as a slot WR type and if Luck is healthy that can be valuable. Who do they have at WR after Hilton? Grant, Rogers and later round rookies?

I think Legget is the favorite here but I wouldn't expect much from whoever emerges. Herndon was looking good in rookie camp but is coming off an injury and then got into an accident with a DUI a few weeks later. Walford showed some flashes in Oakland but hasn't put it together.

I don't think Bates features a TE in the passing game and the team has Quincy Enunwa who acts as a pseudo-TE in the passing game and if he is healthy is a better option than any of these guys.

good topic, thanks for starting it.

NYJ: I'll throw in Bucky Hodges to the mix. The winner next year will have a young QB to bond with, for better or worse. Walford in my favorite this year

MIA: Gesicki will get opportunity to play split out, don't expect much

Balt: Hurst has a wide open shot, though i worry about a potential QB change this year. Williams has been a huge disappointment

Hou: I have no idea, but I don't value the TE position with a strong 3 WR set

Den: I like Butt to win. Heard good things in camp.

LAC: this is  where i think a FA signs in camp. Not much there and Rivers likes to utilize the TE. Justin Thomas?

DAL: is a CF but for end of bench fliers, totally worth the risk premium. Dak need someone to throw to

DET: Wilson is my bet, but with strong 3 WRs, including a big target, not  much here

SEA: No idea what the new OC will  bring and a bad OL. I like Vannett, but honestly don't see more than 40 receptions

So I would target Hurst and Butt... the winner in NYJ and maybe the FA in LAC for this year in deeper leagues
Walford got no mention during early practices. Leggett and Herndon got rave reviews for their receiving. Both are essentially rookies as Leggett missed the year with an injury.  Even Neil Sterling stood out a bit.  I'm not sure any one player will get significantly more playing time than the other. We'll see what happens in August.

Not an open battle per se, but it will be worth watching how Philadelphia utilizes Ertz and Goedert, particularly in the red zone.  I think Goedert will have a larger role than just Ertz's backup.

Not an open battle per se, but it will be worth watching how Philadelphia utilizes Ertz and Goedert, particularly in the red zone.  I think Goedert will have a larger role than just Ertz's backup.
Didnt Eagles operate two TEs as their base offense at least 50% last year?

I think Baltimore will run two TEs and whether they are fantasy relevant is another question.

Im not sure a Jets TE is gonna be startable at any point this season, they use Enunwa as a WR/receiving TE in role and i do think Quincy is gonna have a good year.

Want no part of the chargers or texans TEs this year, theyve got too many weapons who arent TEs.

I like Luke Willson and Michael Roberts in Detroit but i think Willson wins the job and is a middling TE.

I think Butt is the TE to own in Denver, Heuerman might be able to turn it around but at this point i doubt it.

I think Jarwin is the definite starter in Dallas, Swaim and Gathers are trash, Schultz doesnt have any positives imo.

I'm interested to see what happens LA and the Chargers.  Whoever emerges there could easily be a low-level TE1.

Speaking of LA, are we thinking that there's no value in whoever the Rams go with full-time?  Both Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett have some chops.  Heck even Tamarack Hemingway has gotten some rave reviews.

I might go to both camps here in a few weeks, too.    :excited:    

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested to see what happens LA and the Chargers.  Whoever emerges there could easily be a low-level TE1.

Speaking of LA, are we thinking that there's no value in whoever the Rams go with full-time?  Both Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett have some chops.  Heck even Tamarack Hemingway has gotten some rave reviews.

I might go to both camps here in a few weeks, too.    :excited:    
Rams ranked 24th in passing offense with Gurley as the face of the offense Cooks lost value being traded there. I’m struggling to see any TE with any value in LA.

As soon as camp starts I will try to move Cooks for a 2019 1st round pick.

Tex

I think the team will re-sign Gates and he will lead the team's TEs in targets and production, but at lower levels than in the past. I don't think any TE on the Chargers will be fantasy worthy unless they have multiple other injuries on offense. In that case, Gates should be the guy, assuming he himself can remain healthy.

This has been true in the past, but I think you have the cause and effect wrong in this statement. Rivers and his coaches like to utilize guys who get open and guys who make plays. For most of Rivers' career, Gates was the best at that among Rivers' targets, and when he faded, they drafted Henry. So Rivers rightfully targeted his TEs a lot, and the coaches rightfully ran plays for their TEs a lot, but that was based on their personnel. This year, with a very strong group of WRs and pass catching RBs, I think TE targets will be way down from the past.

Run It Up said:
Want no part of the chargers ... TEs this year, theyve got too many weapons who arent TEs.
This.

Run It Up said:
I think Baltimore will run two TEs and whether they are fantasy relevant is another question.

Im not sure a Jets TE is gonna be startable at any point this season, they use Enunwa as a WR/receiving TE in role and i do think Quincy is gonna have a good year.

Want no part of the chargers or texans TEs this year, theyve got too many weapons who arent TEs.

I like Luke Willson and Michael Roberts in Detroit but i think Willson wins the job and is a middling TE.

I think Butt is the TE to own in Denver, Heuerman might be able to turn it around but at this point i doubt it.

I think Jarwin is the definite starter in Dallas, Swaim and Gathers are trash, Schultz doesnt have any positives imo.
I think that you're right. None will be startable at this point. Several potential contributors for this year in perhaps limited opportunities. The Jets say that they want to run more this season which probably means that Herndon is the best option. Leggett is strictly a receiving TE at this point. Tomlinson is the best blocker, but perhaps the Jets cut him if Herndon proves to be a decent blocker and one of the other TEs has a great camp.

Btw, Quincy was used in that role because the Jets didn't have an NFL quality roster on the team. Since then, they have drafted 2 TEs (Herndon and Leggett) found a blocking TE in Tomlinson, added a three off the waiver wire (Walford, Sterling, and Hodges). Not to mention that Quincy is coming off a serious injury.

I count 9 teams where the TE position is pretty up-in-the-air, where it's hard to predict whether a given player will be the team's lead TE or the 3rd stringer (or off the team). Most of these teams probably won't get a ton of fantasy production from the TE spot, but in TE premium and deeper leagues it still seems worth tracking some of these battles and trying to pick who will win them.

MIA: Mike Gesicki, MarQueis Gray, AJ Derby, Durham Smythe

BAL: Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Maxx Williams

HOU: Ryan Griffin, Stephen Anderson, Jordan Akins

DEN: Jeff Heuerman, Jake Butt, Austin Traylor, Troy Fumagalli, Matt LaCosse

DAL: Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swaim, Rico Gathers, Dalton Schultz

DET: Luke Willson, Michael Roberts, Sean McGrath, Levine Toilolo

SEA: Ed Dickson, Nick Vannett, Will Dissly

The Cowboys' TE battle already has its own thread (plus a fair amount of discussion in the Gathers thread), but I haven't seen as much on the other 8. Who do you like to win these roles, and who do you like to have decent receiving production if he does manage to win his team's lead TE role? Who has shined this spring? Will Gesicki & Hurst step in as rookies? Will Gates re-sign and spend another year with the Chargers? Will lower-upside next-man-up guys like Ryan Griffin, Virgil Green, Luke Willson, and Ed Dickson hang on to the starting job or will they get pushed by guys with more receiving chops? Which teams will even have TE fantasy value, and which will mostly just have a blocker at TE or go 4-wide a lot like the ASJ-less Jets have often done? What are the chances that a non-Gates FA like Fleener, Brent Celek, or Gary Barnidge joins one of these teams and eats a big chunk of the TE work.
A team I don't see on your list is New Orleans:

NO: Ben Watson, Josh Hill, Michael Hoomanawanui, , Deon Yelder, Garrett Griffin, Nate Wozniak

Ben Watson is what 37 years old, how much does he have left in the tank, then after that Josh Hill?

I'm keeping a close eye on Deon "Thump" Yelder out of Western Kentucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the Colts? No one sees Ebron doing anything & Jack Doyle as top 10 finish again in PPR?
I was coming in here to post this.  Doyle has established himself as a reliable target, but Ebron coming in has the draft pedigree and seemed to have a decent year last year for his first one yet.  I like Doyle to continue to see more targets while Ebron might steal the red zone looks.

I like Vannett and am trying to make room for him in dynasty. Dickson has never appeared to be more than a JAG for me. I just recall a few games last year when I saw Vannett make plays and thinking "#### don't tell me Seattle has found another tight end." I'll take a shot at that potential on a team that was very TE-heavy in the red zone last year.
The reason he’s always been JAG (Dickson that is) is cause he can’t catch. He had a chance in Balt, but he’s got hands of stone. My money is on Vannett turning out to be the better option in Seattle as well. 

Rams ranked 24th in passing offense with Gurley as the face of the offense Cooks lost value being traded there. I’m struggling to see any TE with any value in LA.

As soon as camp starts I will try to move Cooks for a 2019 1st round pick.

Tex
I tend to play in larger dynasty leagues, so squeezing value out of just about anyone is the norm.   :wall:

The reason he’s always been JAG (Dickson that is) is cause he can’t catch. He had a chance in Balt, but he’s got hands of stone.
I'm not sure this is an accurate portrayal.

Dickson's catch rate was 62.5%, as a comparison Gronk's was 65% and Kelce's was 68%.

I'm not sure this is an accurate portrayal.

Dickson's catch rate was 62.5%, as a comparison Gronk's was 65% and Kelce's was 68%.
I watched this guy in Baltimore and he drops a lot of passes. Look at Olsen’s numbers in Carolina then look at Dickson’s when Olsen was out and it’s not like the Carolina wr’ers tore it up. Then you are also comparing catch rates with two guys that had a lot more chances, I am not looking at the numbers but I would guess 50+ more chances for Kielce and Gronk? 

He certainly may have a good year in Seattle, but that’s not a bet I’d take. 

Dickson had 1 drop last year on 30 catches, which is a better than average drop rate. He had 25/374/1 in the 9 games that Olsen missed, on pace for 44/665/1.8. I don't expect him to match those numbers - they would be career highs in yards, YPR, and YPT if he kept them up for a full season - but 400-500 yards seem reachable if he's Seattle's main TE.

MLive's Kyle Meinke writes Luke Willson "looks like" the Lions' starting tight end.

Signed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract in March, Willson was expected to be pushed by sophomore Michael Roberts for the starting job. Roberts has reportedly struggled in camp, however, and Willson got the start in the preseason opener. If he wins the job, Willson will have some sleeper appeal in deeper leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread