What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeAndre Hopkins Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Daniel Simpkins

Footballguy
You guys probably know the deal by now -- after a hiatus, we're bringing the Player Spotlight threads back to the Shark Pool. For those who are new around here, the Player Spotlights are one of the main features on the site during the preseason. They're in-depth looks at key players, including pros and cons, and our staff projections. For years, we also included the best commentary from the Shark Pool. A few years ago, activity in the Pool died down and commentary fell off, but we have confidence in a resurgence.

So here's the deal. Discuss your thoughts about the player in question. We'll pick the best comments from the bunch and use them (and give you credit) in the published articles.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DeAndre Hopkins, WR- HOU

Last year, DeAndre Hopkins posted a record year with 96 receptions, 1,378 recieving yards, and 13 touchdowns. Most agree that this is unsustainable production. Yet Hopkins continues to be drafted in the early-to-mid first round of redraft formats. Is the threat of regression enough to scare you away from Hopkins at current ADP, or do you feel it won't be a significant enough drop to bump him down? If you do believe he will regress, what are the reasons and how significant will that regression be?

Let's discuss!

I'm not sure that last year is unsustainable. He spent half the season with Tom Savage. His targets were the most in the NFL, and they haven't made any additions to change that. Hopkins is arguably the best WR in the NFL at adjusting to poorly thrown balls, and he's in the top-5 at coming up with 50-50 balls. Watson showed he wasn't afraid at all to throw to Hopkins even when covered. 

I think Hopkins is one of the safest picks on board. The only reason I'd pass on him in the late 1st, is that WR feels SO MUCH deeper than RB this year. 

My projection: 90-1,300-10. He's the WR2 in my opinion.

Didn't miss a beat when Deshaun went down which makes you feel better about him not being QB1 contingent.  But QB2 on the Texans won't be Savage.

That said, Hopkins is simply one of the best talents at the WR position in the game and if Watson is (and remains healthy), Hopkins will be in the overall WR1 conversation.

With first half + of Round 1 being RB dominant, Hopkins likely more of a late first rounder.  The question to ask is - is the dropoff between Melvin Gordon/Dalvin Cook to Devonta Freeman/LeSean McCoy greater/less than Hopkins v Davante Adams/Michael Thomas.

No argument from me there! The talent is unquestionable.

Are last year's numbers repeatable? That's an entirely different discussion.
They are repeatable and exceedable. The thing that should be easily recognizable is that Watson is not afraid to get the ball in places where Hopkins can make a play on it - and O'Brien seems smart enough to let him.

Aside from the Jaguars twice, Eagles once, and maybe the Broncos, their schedule looks pretty soft.

He could eclipse 100/1500/15.

DHop appears to be one of those incredibly rare QB proof WR.  I agree with Travdogg that he is one of the safest picks if not the safest pick available.  2016 set his floor.  Playing with arguably the worst QBs in the league he still almost had 1000 yards.  Nobody but AB (or Fitz in his prime) could accomplish 1000 yards for the 2016 Texans. 

Perhaps more importantly, DHop does not have to sustain the 2017 success to merit his current ADP.   His stats could regress more than 10% and he would still justify being the second WR off the board.  312 PPR points in 2017 - 10% still equals 280 PPR points (or the 90-1300-10 line Travdogg predicted)... still 2 points ahead of the #3 WR in 2017 (Keenan Allen).

Daniel Simpkins said:
No argument from me there! The talent is unquestionable.

Are last year's numbers repeatable? That's an entirely different discussion.
The Texans have a terrible offensive line and a mediocre running game. The Texans also have a really bad defense, though in fairness it will likely be better but still - They gave up 27 points per game last year so there were a lot of shootouts. The Texans also get Deshaun Watson back, which is an immediate upgrade from whatever it was they were trotting out there in Weeks 7-16.

Hopkins with Deshaun Watson: Averaged 6/91 with 6 TDs

Hopkins with the Dumpster Fire QBs: Averaged 6/91with 7 TDs

No dropoff in production. At all. 

DeAndre Hopkins is being drafted right where he should be and he is no worse than the WR3 overall this year with WR1 upside. Are the numbers repeatable? Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread