What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

trade for Gurley (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
So we just did this start up back in April. 14 team. The scoring is different, but pretty balanced. The starting requirements are

1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 te 1superflex and 2 regular flexes

Here is my team

Big Ben, Mason Rudolph, Russell Wilson, Sam Bradford

Kamara, Mixon, Chubb, Jeremy Hill, Doug Martin

Juju, Robbie Anderson, Davante Adams, Cobb, Brandon Marshall, Snead, Cain

Hunter Henry, Hayden Hurst, Vance McDonald, Vernon Davis.

I got offered Todd Gurley for my Juju and Mixon and I am not sure what to do.

At first glance I though accept right away however losing Juju puts you in a big hole at WR.  I have a lot of worry for Adams and his concussions from last year.  Losing Juju is a huge hit. 

I think based on your roster I would have to pass.......i can't believe I said that but I think it leaves to big a hole.

Yea, you'd be thin at WR to start this year but there are always waivers for aa breakout unknown WR and you would have a couple of stud RB's in future years. I'd do it.

It would definitely leave a hole at WR, but Gurley AND Kamara....in a 14 team league?

Look at this way, would you rather have Mixon and JuJu or Gurley and a ww gem?  I would take my chances with one of the best players in fantasy and my ability to scour the WW for a breakout WR. 

Take the deal.

It would definitely leave a hole at WR, but Gurley AND Kamara....in a 14 team league?

Look at this way, would you rather have Mixon and JuJu or Gurley and a ww gem?  I would take my chances with one of the best players in fantasy and my ability to scour the WW for a breakout WR. 

Take the deal.
Mixon is a big question for sure but he has the ability and an improved line.  I think he will be pushing the top 12-15 RB's moving forward.  With regards to the WW pickup there is no guarantee you are able to get the gem that fits in.  Also, Gurley is no guarantee himself.  He had a monster year last year but a not so good year the year before.  I am sure much of that had to do with coaching however, the league now has a year of film on McVey and may be able to slow them down.  Don't get me wrong, Gurley is a stud and should be a top 5 guy but if he falls back some and Mixon improves as some expect it's not that huge of a drop off. 

I just think the big whole at WR is a bigger risk than Mixon not improving to the point of making the drop off not as big as the drop between Juju and waiver wire.

I will add this in and thanks for all the replies so far. 

I like Mixon quite a bit. As far as dynasty value I have him around 12th - 15th for rbs. Our rosters are also 30 deep, so right now the waivers are picked clean and if someone does break out it will be a dog fight to get them. 

Mixon is a big question for sure but he has the ability and an improved line.  I think he will be pushing the top 12-15 RB's moving forward.  With regards to the WW pickup there is no guarantee you are able to get the gem that fits in.  Also, Gurley is no guarantee himself.  He had a monster year last year but a not so good year the year before.  I am sure much of that had to do with coaching however, the league now has a year of film on McVey and may be able to slow them down.  Don't get me wrong, Gurley is a stud and should be a top 5 guy but if he falls back some and Mixon improves as some expect it's not that huge of a drop off. 

I just think the big whole at WR is a bigger risk than Mixon not improving to the point of making the drop off not as big as the drop between Juju and waiver wire.
I have a ton of respect for your insight in this forum.  We'll just agree to disagree.  I love JuJu but his upside is capped with Brown still being such a stud.  Mixon should be a RB2, but his has a lot of risk and not a ton of RB1 upside.  Will Gurley have a year like last year?  Probably not, but 1300 yds rushing, 65 receptions and 12-13 TDs is still very reasonable.  Again, I will gamble that I can find a WR that can help out.  In this case it's fairly cheap to acquire Gurley.

I will add this in and thanks for all the replies so far. 

I like Mixon quite a bit. As far as dynasty value I have him around 12th - 15th for rbs. Our rosters are also 30 deep, so right now the waivers are picked clean and if someone does break out it will be a dog fight to get them. 
That might be true, but I will still gamble to get a superelite player like Gurley.

I have a ton of respect for your insight in this forum.  We'll just agree to disagree.  I love JuJu but his upside is capped with Brown still being such a stud.  Mixon should be a RB2, but his has a lot of risk and not a ton of RB1 upside.  Will Gurley have a year like last year?  Probably not, but 1300 yds rushing, 65 receptions and 12-13 TDs is still very reasonable.  Again, I will gamble that I can find a WR that can help out.  In this case it's fairly cheap to acquire Gurley.
100% agree with this statement and my initial thought was accept quickly.  However, after looking at the roster and other aspects I think it hurts the overall roster quite a bit.....too much for me to pull the trigger if I was in that situation.  Part of it might be I am down on Adams and worry about concussions for him moving forward.  That is probably as big a part of my thought process as anything else.  I just don't like the WR group if JuJu isn't there. 

So as you said...agree to disagree.....which is a good thing.  It's why this message board is here.  Different sides to the same situation.  Good discussion.  I like well informed back and forth discussions. 

I still haven't decided, and have told the other owner I am thinking still, but seriously thanks for all the answers you guys are the best.

I would lean towards Gurley because he's the best player in the trade.  Also, since it's a 2 for 1 deal the other owner has to cut someone anyway - see if they will include a WR coming back to you as part of the deal - then you would at least have another option at the position without having to go to the WW.  It stands to reason the player being cut is better than anything on the WW right now.

Thanks for mine. 

I almost immediately said take the trade but it leaves you too thin at WR. I think Gurley is a huge upgrade to a Mixon (I’m not big on Mixon at all) but if any of your WRs get hurt you are in trouble. Hate to say it but need to say no unless you can get a viable WR as well. 

Update. I was going to take the deal, but couldn't because it would put him over the roster limit. So I offered the same trade except he added in John Kelly. So I could own the backfield. I informed the owner that I countered, he said he would look at it and the trade expired with no email or answer. 

Update. I was going to take the deal, but couldn't because it would put him over the roster limit. So I offered the same trade except he added in John Kelly. So I could own the backfield. I informed the owner that I countered, he said he would look at it and the trade expired with no email or answer. 
Should have taken it and ran.  He realized he was giving up Dynasty #1 player for a potential WR3 and RB Bust

Should have taken it and ran.  He realized he was giving up Dynasty #1 player for a potential WR3 and RB Bust
I couldn't, I tried to accept and it wouldn't go through because it would put him over the roster limit. So I picked Kelly as the last guy on his bench, plus it could help me. 

Users who are viewing this thread