What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GB RB Aaron Jones Suspended 2 Games (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23989799/green-bay-packers-running-back-aaron-jones-suspended-two-games-violating-nfl-substance-abuse-policy

Green Bay Packers running back Aaron Jones was suspended by the NFL for the first two games of the 2018 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Jones pleaded no contest to a marijuana-related charge in February, stemming from a traffic stop on Oct. 1 of last year.

He entered a no-contest plea to the citation for driving with a controlled substance in his system in exchange for dismissal of tickets for speeding and operating without a license.

Our Phil Alexander had this:

It at least provides some temporary clarity to one of the most difficult to predict backfields in the league. Williams gets a two week audition to relegate Jones to a back-up role on base downs, but those games game are against Chicago and Minnesota. Neither team was easy to run on last year. Overall, unless Williams sets the world on fire in those two games, which seems unlikely, it probably doesn't move the needle much. 

Ty Montgomery will also pick up more running back snaps. It's not a consensus opinion, but he's been my favorite of those three to draft before this news. He's the only one with a concrete role (passing down back in an elite passing offense) and he comes the cheapest

From our Team Report this morning:

Ty Montgomery and Aaron Jones will both get opportunities behind Jamaal Williams this season, and if last year is any indication, both are capable of handling the starting spot when called upon. Montgomery is the more versatile of the two, doing most of his damage through the air last season. He rushed 71 times for 273 yards (3.85 ypc) with three touchdowns, while also catching 23 passes for 173 yards and a touchdown. Montgomery could find his role changed again for the third straight season though, as the departure of Jordy Nelson has created a hole at wide receiver. Montgomery was switched to running back when the Packers had a real need at the position, but with Williams and Jones providing depth at the position, the more immediate need is at wide receiver. The hybrid running back/wide receiver position is all the rage in the NFL these days, and Montgomery could fill that role perfectly for the Packers. Of the Packers three running backs, Aaron Jones was by far the best runner, and it wasn't close. While Williams (3.6 ypc) and Montgomery (3.8 ypc) both averaged under four yards per carry, Jones averaged 5.5 yards per carry, rushing for 448 yards on 81 carries with four touchdowns. He also chipped in nine catches on 18 targets for 22 yards. Jones also brings an explosiveness to the Packers backfield that Montgomery and Williams lack. He had six runs of 20+ yards last season, tied for 11th in the NFL, and he did so on only 81 carries. Many Packers fans will remember Jones beating the Bucs in overtime when he scored a long touchdown on his first touch of the game. Jones did run into some trouble last season when he was arrested for speeding and admitted to smoking marijuana, so there is still the possibility that he could be suspended by the NFL and/or the Packers. Regardless, he has the talent and skillset to play an important role for the Packers this season.

tough couple games to start the season - Bears and Vikings @ GB..could be worse, but as a team GB rushed for 72 and 91 yards against each @ home last season..

disclaimer - in a dynasty league I own both Jones and JW. I'm somewhat hopeful that one of them rises to the top spot here, but even under the best of circumstances this has a full blown RBBC written all over it..you're probably  relying on an injury to sideline one of the 3 to provide some clarity.

but as of right now, JW is a SELL HIGH candidate - get what you can. this situation has a King Ghidorah feel to it..i.e., the 3 headed monster..

tough couple games to start the season - Bears and Vikings @ GB..could be worse, but as a team GB rushed for 72 and 91 yards against each @ home last season..

disclaimer - in a dynasty league I own both Jones and JW. I'm somewhat hopeful that one of them rises to the top spot here, but even under the best of circumstances this has a full blown RBBC written all over it..you're probably  relying on an injury to sideline one of the 3 to provide some clarity.

but as of right now, JW is a SELL HIGH candidate - get what you can. this situation has a King Ghidorah feel to it..i.e., the 3 headed monster..
I get the thought, but he seems like a better hold than sell to me. I just can’t see getting much for him, even with this news. 

If that is your take than you have love to love this. Williams will shoot up ADP and Jones will sink.
agreed, he may even go undrafted in shallower leagues...sweet pickup in week 2 or 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Just drafted both in a startup, I like Jamaal better as a player, but this could literally go any which way.  Kind of mad the news broke after I took Aaron just because that might have made him slip a little further.  

Just drafted both in a startup, I like Jamaal better as a player, but this could literally go any which way.  Kind of mad the news broke after I took Aaron just because that might have made him slip a little further.  
Jamaal is a better all around back but Jones is the best runner on the team. this is a widely accepted fact. 

Williams doesnt have the dynamic ability Jones has to score from anywhere on the field. 

This suspension is much to do about nothing. two tough opponents. we get to watch JW look like hes running through quicksand for 2 weeks and then Jones can provide the spark this offense needs. Jones was inactive week 1 last year and did just fine. 

I don't know if it's much a to do about nothing. If his actions make him unavailable for two games at this very high level, it could lead the coaching staff to go all in with the guy with a more complete game.

Jamaal is a better all around back but Jones is the best runner on the team. this is a widely accepted fact. 

Williams doesnt have the dynamic ability Jones has to score from anywhere on the field. 

This suspension is much to do about nothing. two tough opponents. we get to watch JW look like hes running through quicksand for 2 weeks and then Jones can provide the spark this offense needs. Jones was inactive week 1 last year and did just fine. 
Didn't realize you were a new Packers coach knowing exactly how the RB position will sort it's way out being so knowledgeable about what they do every single day.  

Jamaal is better but apparently runs through quicksand while Jones isn't as good, yet provides sparks.  Do you see all the contradictions you just made?  

If Jamaal is the better all around back then why are you all aboard Aaron Jones as the guy who will be fine and not JW?    

Color me an optimist but Jamaal Williams said he's working on being more explosive while Aaron Jones is working on bulking up.  I can't remember many, if any, times that "bulking up" has proved to work.  But I can remember a couple times that being more explosive has.  

Dr Dan started the Aaron Jones thread. I'm guessing he's a big fan.
He's been hanging from Jones nuts in all of these conversations. 

It's silly to think this means nothing for Jones. If Williams comes out and does work, AJ just got demoted to permanent COP duty. Opportunity is everything is FB/FFB. You don't have an opportunity when watching the game from the locker room. 

He's been hanging from Jones nuts in all of these conversations. 

It's silly to think this means nothing for Jones. If Williams comes out and does work, AJ just got demoted to permanent COP duty. Opportunity is everything is FB/FFB. You don't have an opportunity when watching the game from the locker room. 
But we know Williams is an inferior runner when compared to Jones based on pretty much every rb metric... jones will have the early down work by mid season.

While ostensibly giving Williams and TyMo more of a chance to cement their own roles, this news doesn't change my mind about trying to avoid this backfield in the draft.

One of these guys is absolutely going to have value, but it is so hard to determine who that would be, I'd rather place more easily hedged bets elsewhere. This suspension doesn't make it any clearer to me that Williams and/or Montgomery will be the guy any more than Jones when he returns from suspension.

Of more interest to me is the NFL-impact of this backfield, and whether/how GB can leverage these three fairly talented-but-not-elite backs together in this offense -- or if the downside of rotation/splitting carries occurs in not allowing any one back to really get a head of steam.   

I hope this news is at the forefront of peoples minds when drafting and that Aaron Jones sees a huge drop in his ADP so that I can pick him up at a more reasonable price.

Jones and Williams have been neck and neck so far this offseason in terms of rankings and ADP with Williams providing the cheaper price. With this news I see that reversing itself and I may end up with Jones on some of my teams now because of it.

Everyone says jones is the better runner, but at the end of the year with both healthy Williams got the work. I don’t see jones having the lions share if this backfield at all unless someone gets injured. He had a decent 4 game stretch last year and was cop or injured the rest. I’ll take Williams then and even more now. Jones lovers are already writing off the first two games, but even if Williams doesn’t have 5+ ypc he can solidify that job if he plays well, takes care of his assignments, etc.  

Just watching both guys play last year, they are different runners. Williams can handle contact, Jones doesn’t and will go down much easier. Williams was also far superior in the passing game, it’s kind f baffling how Rodgers apparently endorses Jones but the dude was not good running routes for him. On the flip side, Jones appears to be far more explosive when he finds and opening, he also is either greased up in baby oil or has tremendous vision when you see the way he slips through some of those holes.

JW also spent most of his games running with Hundley. That means stacked boxes. The one game he played with Rodgers, he looked worse than Jones running and yet, JW played most of the snaps and got handoffs into the 4th when they were in comeback mode. That signals, to me, that he is more trusted as blocker than Jones.

I think Williams gets to use this suspension to practice as the starter all off season (barring a resurgence from Monty) and obviously gets 2 games to cement it. He might be able to get it done. From a talent perspective, I’d rather have Jones starting but he becomes a risky prospect now. Opportunity is king in the NFL and JW has this far been more durable and has the opportunity 

Didn't realize you were a new Packers coach knowing exactly how the RB position will sort it's way out being so knowledgeable about what they do every single day.  

Jamaal is better but apparently runs through quicksand while Jones isn't as good, yet provides sparks.  Do you see all the contradictions you just made?  

If Jamaal is the better all around back then why are you all aboard Aaron Jones as the guy who will be fine and not JW?    

Color me an optimist but Jamaal Williams said he's working on being more explosive while Aaron Jones is working on bulking up.  I can't remember many, if any, times that "bulking up" has proved to work.  But I can remember a couple times that being more explosive has.  
first, I personally know someone within the organization who is there daily with the players. so I know quite a bit. if you dont care to hear it then dont read and respond to what I have to say. but that's besides the point and has no bearing on my post, which is just an opinion. a lot of people in here have opinions, many similar to mine, but you opted to only be hostile toward me and single me out. Interesting

Jamaal, last year, was the better receiver and better pass blocker. 

Jones was by far the best runner. 

I dont know why that's so hard to understand. I even tried to use small words. 

If you dont think jamaal looks like hes running through quick sand then you didn't watch a single packer game 

jamaal William's is working on being more explosive, which is something that cant really be taught aside from adjusting running mechanics, but that's besides the point. Jones is working on bulking up to be a better pass blocker and more durable. both are working on what the other has as a strength 

FWIW Jones' bulk has included some obvious lower extremity according to reports. so his arms aren't just bigger. last I checked, RBs use their legs

first, I personally know someone within the organization who is there daily with the players. so I know quite a bit. if you dont care to hear it then dont read and respond to what I have to say. but that's besides the point and has no bearing on my post, which is just an opinion. a lot of people in here have opinions, many similar to mine, but you opted to only be hostile toward me and single me out. Interesting

I dont know why that's so hard to understand. I even tried to use small words. 
Your condescension is uncalled for and tiresome.

jamaal William's is working on being more explosive, which is something that cant really be taught aside from adjusting running mechanics, but that's besides the point. Jones is working on bulking up to be a better pass blocker and more durable. both are working on what the other has as a strength 

FWIW Jones' bulk has included some obvious lower extremity according to reports. so his arms aren't just bigger. last I checked, RBs use their legs
I deleted everything irrelevant from your initial post so I can keep this about football rather than personal like you want to make it.  

1.  I was never hostile, just questioning why you know so much better than everyone else on this forum.  If you want to take that personally, that's your problem.  

2.  I was genuinely curious as to your "inside info" on the situation, not your personal opinion.  Yet you state your own opinion as fact.  Maybe you're speaking on behalf of your friend in the organization, and if you are, then state that.  But your opinion isn't what I was searching for.  I was just trying to sort out your contradictions galore.

3.  As a coach myself for a different sport you can definitely teach being explosive and improving footwork without adjusting mechanics.  It's a practiced trait if you don't have it naturally. 

From your own words, Jamaal is the better receiver and pass blocker, pretty important in a spread offense along with Aaron Rodgers if you ask me.  I don't think he looked like quicksand last year, definitely a bit slow though.  If he's improving on that then good for him.  I'm glad you realize RB's use their legs, and again your condescension is compelling, but that won't help him break through the line when everyone stands above him, it's his quickness that'll make that applicable, to make sure they don't tackle him head on and more arm tackles.  Sure his bulk up might break a few more tackles, but if he isn't quick to elude, then his "bulk" won't do anything in the run game.  Might improve his pass blocking a bit but I doubt it since he's still 5'9".  

This "bulked up" is kind of ridiculous. As an avid lifter, you can put on 5-8 pounds of muscle in an offseason if you weren't much of a lifter before. You also have to be a great eater to do this. Without gear, he's not bulking up without eating a ton. So bulking up in an offseason requires you to lift 5 or 6 days a week, eat a ton of clean food and be strict. 

If you weren't doing this before you generally lose fat while doing it and you're not bulking up a whole lot. And if you do, you might be 30% stronger but not like Superman or anything.

He'd have to do it for three years before I gave it any substantial difference. If he did it in a year he'll probably be hurt week 5.

This "bulked up" is kind of ridiculous. As an avid lifter, you can put on 5-8 pounds of muscle in an offseason if you weren't much of a lifter before. You also have to be a great eater to do this. Without gear, he's not bulking up without eating a ton. So bulking up in an offseason requires you to lift 5 or 6 days a week, eat a ton of clean food and be strict. 

If you weren't doing this before you generally lose fat while doing it and you're not bulking up a whole lot. And if you do, you might be 30% stronger but not like Superman or anything.

He'd have to do it for three years before I gave it any substantial difference. If he did it in a year he'll probably be hurt week 5.
Yep. The key is being a newbie at lifting which no professional football player is. It's reasonable for a newbie to gain 5-8 pounds of lean muscle in 6 months using proven programming & eating a ton of calories, but as you know, well-trained athletes can only gain a fraction of that.

Hopefully, people will finally quit believing these BS stories now that it's been addressed. I can only imagine the look on Layne Norton's face (or some other knowledgeable person in the exercise science field) when a pro football player says he gained 20 pounds of muscle in an offseason. They would be like, "you did what"? Priceless, LOL.

The real question is how much stronger did Jones get & how much will it help? Even if he did get 30% stronger this offseason, it doesn't mean he's going to be 30% more effective. We're talking percentage points as far as the transferrable value on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread