What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (1 Viewer)

Since seeing ROS on Christmas Eve, I sat down and watched the prequels over the last week.  In sum, they aren't as bad as I remember, but they are still the 3 worst movies of the nine.  Yes, there is cringeworthy dialogue throughout, and Lucas' choice of plot devices leaves a lot to be desired, but I didn't hate them as much as I did when they first came out.

My biggest gripe with them remains though.  One of my favorite scenes of the original trilogy is meeting Kenobi saving Luke from the Sandpeople through him telling him he's going to train him in the ways of the force.  The prequels were made, seemingly pretending this whole scene never existed.  The continuity errors based just off this conversation are mind boggling:

• Doesn't remember "owning a droid" but wouldn't he remember the R2 unit that saved the Republic multiple times, and was the personal R2 unit of his padewan?
  • Claims not to have gone by Obi Wan since before Luke was born
  • Doesn't recognize 3PO even though he was built by his padewan
  • This one is more understandable, but Kenobi says Luke's uncle didn't think Anikin should have "gotten involved" implying the rebellion is what he got involved in.  Kenobi was lying about Anakin anyway, but why tell a specific lie here?  More importantly, the timeline of the prequels doesn't match up to what is being implied here.
  • Said Luke's father wanted him to have his lightsaber.
  • Princess Leia says Obi Wan served her father in the Clone wars.  The prequels made it clear the Jedi Counsel did not take orders from the Senate.
There are other issues with continuity set in the original trilogy, but having them packed into this one scene, and then come up in every prequel movie is distracting.

Not looking to debate these as I have gone done this path before (with Andy D mostly), just throwing out my observations.

Since seeing ROS on Christmas Eve, I sat down and watched the prequels over the last week.  In sum, they aren't as bad as I remember, but they are still the 3 worst movies of the nine.  Yes, there is cringeworthy dialogue throughout, and Lucas' choice of plot devices leaves a lot to be desired, but I didn't hate them as much as I did when they first came out.

My biggest gripe with them remains though.  One of my favorite scenes of the original trilogy is meeting Kenobi saving Luke from the Sandpeople through him telling him he's going to train him in the ways of the force.  The prequels were made, seemingly pretending this whole scene never existed.  The continuity errors based just off this conversation are mind boggling:

• Doesn't remember "owning a droid" but wouldn't he remember the R2 unit that saved the Republic multiple times, and was the personal R2 unit of his padewan?
  • This one is more understandable, but Kenobi says Luke's uncle didn't think Anikin should have "gotten involved" implying the rebellion is what he got involved in.  Kenobi was lying about Anakin anyway, but why tell a specific lie here?  More importantly, the timeline of the prequels doesn't match up to what is being implied here.
  • Princess Leia says Obi Wan served her father in the Clone wars.  The prequels made it clear the Jedi Counsel did not take orders from the Senate.
There are other issues with continuity set in the original trilogy, but having them packed into this one scene, and then come up in every prequel movie is distracting.

Not looking to debate these as I have gone done this path before (with Andy D mostly), just throwing out my observations.
I always wondered why they felt necessary to shoehorn 3PO and R2 into the prequels. Would have made a lot more sense if they were two newly introduced droids. 

I always wondered why they felt necessary to shoehorn 3PO and R2 into the prequels. Would have made a lot more sense if they were two newly introduced droids. 
Right, particularly with the ridiculous story of Anakin making 3PO, and R2 having more abilities than he ever displayed in IV-VI (ie, flying).

•  
Doesn't Obi Wan pretty much take Luke and drop him off on Tatooine and then become a hermit there to keep an eye on him? Couldn't it be argued that at the birth of Luke and Leia, Obi Wan went into hiding and changed his name. I feel like that statement is accurate. 

My issue is when ghost Obi Wan says to Yoda, "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda says, "No, there is another," meaning Leia is also strong with the force. Obi Wan was there for the birth too.

They should;ve had Obi Wan take Luke immediately after he is born and leave, and then Leia born a couple minutes later and have Obi Wan have no knowledge of her. 

Doesn't Obi Wan pretty much take Luke and drop him off on Tatooine and then become a hermit there to keep an eye on him? Couldn't it be argued that at the birth of Luke and Leia, Obi Wan went into hiding and changed his name. I feel like that statement is accurate. 

My issue is when ghost Obi Wan says to Yoda, "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda says, "No, there is another," meaning Leia is also strong with the force. Obi Wan was there for the birth too.

They should;ve had Obi Wan take Luke immediately after he is born and leave, and then Leia born a couple minutes later and have Obi Wan have no knowledge of her. 
For the first point, the way he says it in the movie conveys that the change happened well before Luke's birth: since, oh, before you were born."  Of course one can defend this as not a true continuity error, but given all of the other inconsistencies, I'm sticking with it.

For the second point, agree.  I was just focusing on the issues from the one scene I mentioned.  That's also an issue, like Leia was a surprise to Obi Wan.  There are more definitely.

I took Obiwans meaning as he and Yoda poured all their effort into Luke being the savior that he was their only shot. Yoda saying there is another I feel like if the conversation continued it would ha e been like "You mean Leia? She hasn't even been introduced to the force yet. We don't even know if she has any sensitivity to it." But obviously it was meant to be a mystery for the audience.

I always thought it weird that Lucas had Luke making out with his sister.  

I always thought it weird that Lucas had Luke making out with his sister.  
Clearly he was making stuff up as he went along.  That once scene can be excuses, since the characters didn't know, if he later decided to change some story lines.  However, ignoring big parts of what he laid down in these three movies to go in a different direction for the prequels was just dumb.

Very excited for the final season of Clone Wars that released today.  Much more then the last movie which still haven't even seen. 

And stupid Disney+ is doing the one episode every week thing.  Just release the full damn season. 
I prefer the one episode a week thing. If they release it all at once I feel like I have "homework" hanging over my head to watch it all. I imagine opinions are pretty split on the binge watch vs one per week thing. 

I prefer the one episode a week thing. If they release it all at once I feel like I have "homework" hanging over my head to watch it all. I imagine opinions are pretty split on the binge watch vs one per week thing. 
Eh, with the previous seasons I would watch a full arc at a time (2-4 episodes) to make it kind of a movie experience.  Hour long makes more sense for weekly episodes, but a short 23 minute show like this just makes it annoying.  I'd be happy if they even just released 2 at a time.  To each there own though.  I'll probably just sit and let it build up some episodes now.

Not a chance. Got to milk that subscription long time. 
Ugh, 3 Months worth.  Probably cheaper to buy it on DVD.  Eh not my subscription to control, I'm responsible for Netflix in the family. 

I watched the first clone wars episode despite never having seen the series (I tried, it never stuck for me). Was hoping I could just jump in - didn’t work. I’ll watch the whole season though and hope for some Anakin/Obi-wan stuff and wiki what I don’t know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the 4k discs of the OT, Rogue One, and ROTS - they're fantastic, especially ROTS. I'll likely pick up TPM but I'm not sure about AOTC; I don't know if I ever need to watch the latter again.

This week’s Clone Wars episode may be the best Star Wars content in years!  So great how they weaved this into the start of Revenge of the Sith.  

This arc might end up being the best of them all.
Just caught up with the series in time for the home stretch of episodes.  It certainly had some filler episodes and arcs, but on the whole it (and the Mandalorian) have rekindled my fandom of the franchise.  (Aside from the fact that Maul being alive is maybe the most absurd occurrence in a franchise full of absurdities.)  After Clone Wars finishes, I'm looking forward to checking out Rebels.  If only the new movies had been handled by someone capable of putting together similarly great stories in this IP.

Just caught up with the series in time for the home stretch of episodes.  It certainly had some filler episodes and arcs, but on the whole it (and the Mandalorian) have rekindled my fandom of the franchise.  (Aside from the fact that Maul being alive is maybe the most absurd occurrence in a franchise full of absurdities.)  After Clone Wars finishes, I'm looking forward to checking out Rebels.  If only the new movies had been handled by someone capable of putting together similarly great stories in this IP.
I would argue that “killing him off” in Phantom Menace was the real absurdity, and that bringing him back later, while confusing, was fully redeemed by his presence in some of the best arcs on the show

Got cancelled by Cartoon Network back in the day so they got a chance to finish up on Disney +
I think it was more caught up in the Disney purchase of star wars then cancelled.  I'm pretty sure CN would have loved to have kept it going but Disney stopped all content that was showing on other networks while they consolidated their Star Wars plan.  Disney let them release the unaired completed episodes on disc then moved the team to start on the new cartoon show to air on the Disney networks.  I'm pretty sure the team always wanted to go back and complete the clone wards series, and Dave Filoni (exec producer of all the star wars cartoons) has always mentioned at Cons that he was pushing to get it completed.  I guess D+ finally gave them the chance.

I think it was more caught up in the Disney purchase of star wars then cancelled.  I'm pretty sure CN would have loved to have kept it going but Disney stopped all content that was showing on other networks while they consolidated their Star Wars plan.  Disney let them release the unaired completed episodes on disc then moved the team to start on the new cartoon show to air on the Disney networks.  I'm pretty sure the team always wanted to go back and complete the clone wards series, and Dave Filoni (exec producer of all the star wars cartoons) has always mentioned at Cons that he was pushing to get it completed.  I guess D+ finally gave them the chance.
This

It was a slog to get to The Siege of Mandalore, but holy hell were those last 4 episodes some of the best Star Wars ever.   The arc that ended with The Lawless was fantastic but this might have eclipsed it.  

This hour and a half was better than all the sequel trilogy combined. 

Call me buzzkill but this doesn't excite me at all.  The guy seems to love quipy dialogue.  Ragnarok was basically slapstick comedy, which fit somewhat in the Marvel universe, but is out of place in Star Wars.

Don't get me wrong I love that dialogue in the right place.  That's what made Firefly one of my favorite shows ever (back before it became so commonplace) and it's now become a staple of the Marvel moves.  But there was already too much of that in the new Star Wars films that felt so out of place there.

Call me buzzkill but this doesn't excite me at all.  The guy seems to love quipy dialogue.  Ragnarok was basically slapstick comedy, which fit somewhat in the Marvel universe, but is out of place in Star Wars.

Don't get me wrong I love that dialogue in the right place.  That's what made Firefly one of my favorite shows ever (back before it became so commonplace) and it's now become a staple of the Marvel moves.  But there was already too much of that in the new Star Wars films that felt so out of place there.
Maybe but his Mandalorian episode was fantastic

Great final four to Clone Wars.  Also finally watched Rise the other night and dear God it sucks. Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian are all so much better then the last 6 released movies.  Kinda sad really.  Not sure I'm on board with Rosario as Ahsoka though for season 2.  Guess will have to see how it plays out.     

Great final four to Clone Wars.  Also finally watched Rise the other night and dear God it sucks. Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian are all so much better then the last 6 released movies.  Kinda sad really.  Not sure I'm on board with Rosario as Ahsoka though for season 2.  Guess will have to see how it plays out.     
She'll be much older at this point right? Even than she was in Rebels?

So, rumors are that the 3 latest movies are going to be wiped out due to some mirror zone in The Rebels cartoon. 

They plan to reset the whole thing

Im intrigued. Give Favreu (spelling?)  the keys and let him take it home. 

So, rumors are that the 3 latest movies are going to be wiped out due to some mirror zone in The Rebels cartoon. 

They plan to reset the whole thing

Im intrigued. Give Favreu (spelling?)  the keys and let him take it home. 
The sourcing on that seems...thin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread