What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Royce Freeman Player Spotlight (2 Viewers)

Daniel Simpkins

Footballguy
You guys probably know the deal by now -- after a hiatus, we're bringing the Player Spotlight threads back to the Shark Pool. For those who are new around here, the Player Spotlights are one of the main features on the site during the preseason. They're in-depth looks at key players, including pros and cons, and our staff projections. For years, we also included the best commentary from the Shark Pool. A few years ago, activity in the Pool died down and commentary fell off, but we have confidence in a resurgence.

So here's the deal. Discuss your thoughts about the player in question. We'll pick the best comments from the bunch and use them (and give you credit) in the published articles.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Royce Freeman, RB, Denver

After showing signs of disatisfaction with C.J. Anderson for the past few years, the Broncos finally allowed him to walk in free agency. Many expected that Devontae Booker would be the next man up, but Denver took Royce Freeman early in round three. What will this backfield look like by year's end? Does Freeman have the skills to threaten for the majority of the touches in year one? Is there any chance of Booker rebounding, though he's largely been a dissapointment thus far? If Freeman does win the primary job, will the offense be good enough to create the game scripts he needs to thrive?

Let's discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Freeman, Booker will get the nod early but the job is Freeman’s to take.

Tex

Elway has struck out on every single RB he's brought in, I'm not sure I find it likely to change now. That being said I like Freeman to overtake Booker in the backfield. It's just a matter of how effective either will be. Will Freeman be the better of two bads, or will he outperform Booker significantly to be a true bell cow? There's a lot I don't like about Freeman but a lot I do. He's a strong powerful back that has good pad level. He tends to go down with arm tackles it seems though. If memory serves me right that was one of the drawbacks of Booker- he went down easily behind the line of scrimmage when he got his shot. 

I’ve been pumping freeman even pre draft. He’s big, fast enough, absorbs contact well and keeps churning. The only real knock on him is he had a lot of use in college and racked up a bunch of stats. He has good vision, and paces his runs well to keep blockers in position. I don’t expect Leveon bell numbers, but he displays a similar patience. Not sure he’s as quick to accelerate. 

He may not make much on his own in terms of elusiveness, but I think he makes tacklers glance and manages an extra 1-2 yds on runs, which will help keep him on the field. Oline will have to block. I have no idea about his ball security but never see it mentioned as an issue. I like him for dynasty, but patience may be needed in redraft. He may share the load, but if they keep talking about booker starting and they flip draft spots I’m all over it. 

The Broncos have a league-high 314 handoffs up for grabs after parting ways with C.J. Anderson and Jamaal Charles. New quarterback Case Keenum and tackle Jared Veldheer upgrade the offense, while Freeman’s main competition for carries is Devontae Booker and his career 3.6 yards per carry.

Booker is just a small dump in the road.

Tex

Word on the street is that you'd be lucky to receive Alex Collins for him straight up in dynasty.

----------------------------

On a serious note, I like Freeman. However, I find it odd he's going ahead of Kerryon in dynasty. I suppose it is solely due to Freeman's clearer path to fantasy relevance in year 1, but Kerryon seems like the better receiver and was drafted almost an entire round ahead of Freeman (2.11 vs 3.07). But for redraft, Freeman is a nice choice. The Broncos are talking up Booker, but I don't expect him to make it out of preseason with the job. I think Freeman will be taking at least half the carries in week 1. It'll be interesting to see if 2017 Keenum was a mirage. If he turns back into the Keenum that the QB-desperate Texans let walk then it could be tough sledding for Freeman or whoever finds themselves in the backfield. 

Mike Clay ✔ @MikeClayNFL

Early indications: "[Royce] Freeman has already shown he can catch the ball and pass block"@Jeff_Legwold just now on @NextLevelFF - very optimistic about Freeman's rookie year prospects #broncos

10:28 PM - Jul 6, 2018

27 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

I worry about Freeman's ability to be effective in a different scheme.  

Oregon's wide open offense in the soft Pac12 conference doesn't necessarily prepare him for running between the tackles on first and second down in the NFL.  

He has some tools, but I'm less confident than I am with the SEC rookie RBs like Guice, Michel and Chubb.  

My options at 1.3 will be two of Freeman, Michel or Jones. I’m hoping Freeman will be there.

Tex

I worry about Freeman's ability to be effective in a different scheme.  

Oregon's wide open offense in the soft Pac12 conference doesn't necessarily prepare him for running between the tackles on first and second down.  

He has some tools, but I'm less confident than I am with the SEC rookie RBs like Guice, Michel and Chubb.  
What do you mean different scheme?

I had some concerns a few years ago about the way Oregon ran their offense and producing college players who could adapt to the NFL but the more I watch Oregon’s games last year all those doubts went away. I’m not concerned one bit about Freeman running between the tackles.

Tex

What do you mean different scheme?

I had some concerns a few years ago about the way Oregon ran their offense and producing college players who could adapt to the NFL but the more I watch Oregon’s games last year all those doubts went away. I’m not concerned one bit about Freeman running between the tackles.

Tex
Running between the tackles in the Pac12 in a different offense will be very different than running for the Broncos.  Players like Guice, Chubb and Michel consistently proved that they can handle the NFL as a result of running against SEC defenses in pro style formations.  Freeman didn't have that opportunity.  That's not to say that he can't and obviously the Broncos believe he can, but I'm just not as sold.  

Running between the tackles in the Pac12 in a different offense will be very different than running for the Broncos.  Players like Guice, Chubb and Michel consistently proved that they can handle the NFL as a result of running against SEC defenses in pro style formations.  Freeman didn't have that opportunity.  That's not to say that he can't and obviously the Broncos believe he can, but I'm just not as sold.  
I gotcha, was just curious. I absolutely understand were that concern would potentially come from. Like I said I used to have the same doubts. Those doubts no longer exists for two reasons IMHO.

1. Freeman’s balance and vision is very underrated. For a player his size his speed is not appreciated either.

2. I no longer buy into the theory that running backs have to “run between the tackles” to be successful. I believe that entire premise is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy overblown. There’s maybe one NFL scheme out of six or seven that “MIGHT” require a running back to “running between the tackles.” That’s the “POWER” play but even it’s not always “between the tackles.” I would argue that vision is more important in today’s NFL than having the ability to run between the tackles. Just my opinion though.

Tex

I gotcha, was just curious. I absolutely understand were that concern would potentially come from. Like I said I used to have the same doubts. Those doubts no longer exists for two reasons IMHO.

1. Freeman’s balance and vision is very underrated. For a player his size his speed is not appreciated either.

2. I no longer buy into the theory that running backs have to “run between the tackles” to be successful. I believe that entire premise is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy overblown. There’s maybe one NFL scheme out of six or seven that “MIGHT” require a running back to “running between the tackles.” That’s the “POWER” play but even it’s not always “between the tackles.” I would argue that vision is more important in today’s NFL than having the ability to run between the tackles. Just my opinion though.

Tex
I love Freeman's game in space and outside of the tackles for a back his size.  Also, I love that Freeman has little competition for carries...Booker has proven to be ineffective.

I think Freeman is less talented than CJ Anderson, who is one of the most underrated RB's in football. I think what Anderson did last season is Freeman's absolute ceiling. Booker has years with the team, and is a good 3rd down RB. He won't just go away. DeAndre Henderson will likely also be involved, certainly more than Charles was last year. 

I like Freeman to be the most productive of Denver's RB's(though I prefer Booker in PPR), but this is an offense that will be somewhere between bad and mediocre, so I'm just not seeing any real upside.

I'll say 150-650-4 rushing, and 20-150-1 receiving. I'd view him as an RB4.

I’m worried that Booker won’t go away to the point that Freeman will crack a FF starting lineup (assuming you’re not completely RB depleted) until mid season. I think my biggest and most realistic hope would be that he could be serviceable for the 2nd half of the season. I was initially excited about him but will probably look elsewhere at his current ADP. If he falls 2 rounds I would be happy to grab him. 

I’m worried that Booker won’t go away to the point that Freeman will crack a FF starting lineup (assuming you’re not completely RB depleted) until mid season. I think my biggest and most realistic hope would be that he could be serviceable for the 2nd half of the season. I was initially excited about him but will probably look elsewhere at his current ADP. If he falls 2 rounds I would be happy to grab him. 
I actually see it as Booker being the weakest among all the competition facing all the rookie RBs (excluding Barkley) for three down duty. 

But you may have a point - unless Freeman comes out of the gates on fire, Booker may start the season at the top of the depth chart as the incumbent.

The good: Opportunity is wide open on a team that despite tanking in 2017 still finished 8th in rushing attempts.  Coupled with the departure of CJ Anderson, and better QB play...someone will eat in this backfield.

The bad:  Most of the highlights I watched of Freeman saw him taking the handoff in shotgun formation traveling East/West.  His transition to the pro game may not be seamless.

Ultimately, we’re going to need to see how TC shakes out.  However, the Broncos released Anderson a couple of weeks prior to the draft meaning that to some degree, they were comfortable with Booker as ‘the guy’.  They may have full well known they’d be drafting RB, but they didn’t know who (think the Cardinals in 2015 wanting Ameer Abdullah).  Booker has struggled to stay healthy and started 2017 late after a broken wrist.

Freeman will definitely have a role, but he’s being drafted as RB26 while Booker is sitting at RB49.  I like Booker better at those prices at the moment.  But to my earlier point, pay attention during TC for shifts/news.

I think Henderson and Freeman are the RBs to be looking at in DEN.  We’ve seen what Booker has, given the chance - or more accurately what he clearly doesn’t have.

All 3 guys got reps with the first unit in OTAs.  I would advise drafting Freeman instead of Booker despite the irrational behavior in the way Booker seems to be in good favor, and then make Henderson the last pick of your FF draft and wait to see what shakes out.

Users who are viewing this thread