What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***EPL 2018-19 Fantasy League*** Draft Done - Waivers run on Wednesday (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein said:
Since you guys bumped this - there is a rule change for next year I think we should consider:  Manually running waivers before mid-week weeks.

I think the PL is moving to a winter break, and that might be as soon as next season.  But it sucks with the Wednesday waivers only, when you get into mid-week games.
Agree

:banned:  

So this is out first year in this league.  My son and I have had a blast. He's been wayyyyy into futbol for about 10 years. I'm just getting into it the last few years, but our team was a great way for me to learn and watch much more.   And for us to connect better. He's 21.  So thank you.

Why is the scoring so heavily weighted to CS?      Why does the 0.10 for TK and INT exist? There are not enough to ever really win/lose a game off them . 

Goalies, our goalie won 2-1 this week, and scored 1.0 less points than opponent goalie that lost 0-3.  Just doesn't seem right. Yes, he got 6 more saves all for being on the ####tier team.  Why are there no points if the goalie wins?

Why are there no points for any player that gets a shot on goal?  

0.20 or 0.15, 1pt for a win?  0.25 or 0.5 for a sog?  If these were added, it would make CS not the main focus....  More points = more fun also.   50-60% of all points are based off of GS.

I also can't believe how many games and CS we have lost in the last minute of extra time. It's been insane.

So this is out first year in this league.  My son and I have had a blast. He's been wayyyyy into futbol for about 10 years. I'm just getting into it the last few years, but our team was a great way for me to learn and watch much more.   And for us to connect better. He's 21.  So thank you.

Why is the scoring so heavily weighted to CS?      Why does the 0.10 for TK and INT exist? There are not enough to ever really win/lose a game off them . 

Goalies, our goalie won 2-1 this week, and scored 1.0 less points than opponent goalie that lost 0-3.  Just doesn't seem right. Yes, he got 6 more saves all for being on the ####tier team.  Why are there no points if the goalie wins?

Why are there no points for any player that gets a shot on goal?  

0.20 or 0.15, 1pt for a win?  0.25 or 0.5 for a sog?  If these were added, it would make CS not the main focus....  More points = more fun also.   50-60% of all points are based off of GS.

I also can't believe how many games and CS we have lost in the last minute of extra time. It's been insane.
Keep in mind that the scoring has evolved a little over the last few years.  It used to be more heavily weighted for offensive players.  Goals against scoring also used to be higher so that defensive players often ended up with 0.5 or 1 point frequently.  The TK/INT was added to help boost that and the goals against was lowered.  The only way defenders used to score well was with clean sheets. 

I do agree that the saves is probably a bit inflated.  The top tier goalkeepers are at 4+ ppg.  Most others are between 3 and 4 with the lowest being 3.  The lower end is probably a bit too high.  If we changed saved shots to 0.2 instead of 0.33, I think that would certainly help.  But, it's only 1 position and it's a relatively minor change.  More than that and I think things start to get skewed.

Points for shot on goal is interesting.  I think that would be a reasonable addition (something in the 0.1 to 0.2 range), but I'm not sure it overall changes much other than adds another layer of scoring to what is otherwise relatively simple and that's part of the beauty of it.  I think 0.5 pts for a SOG is too much, though. 

Giving a point for a win seems like it would heavily skew the top end more than it is. 

In the end, though, I think the current scoring system is way better than it ever was in the past and there's something nice in the simplicity of it.  Once we start adding so many more variations on that, then it starts to get away from just enjoying the soccer portion of the league. 

Keep in mind that the scoring has evolved a little over the last few years.  It used to be more heavily weighted for offensive players.  Goals against scoring also used to be higher so that defensive players often ended up with 0.5 or 1 point frequently.  The TK/INT was added to help boost that and the goals against was lowered.  The only way defenders used to score well was with clean sheets. 

I do agree that the saves is probably a bit inflated.  The top tier goalkeepers are at 4+ ppg.  Most others are between 3 and 4 with the lowest being 3.  The lower end is probably a bit too high.  If we changed saved shots to 0.2 instead of 0.33, I think that would certainly help.  But, it's only 1 position and it's a relatively minor change.  More than that and I think things start to get skewed.

Points for shot on goal is interesting.  I think that would be a reasonable addition (something in the 0.1 to 0.2 range), but I'm not sure it overall changes much other than adds another layer of scoring to what is otherwise relatively simple and that's part of the beauty of it.  I think 0.5 pts for a SOG is too much, though. 

Giving a point for a win seems like it would heavily skew the top end more than it is. 

In the end, though, I think the current scoring system is way better than it ever was in the past and there's something nice in the simplicity of it.  Once we start adding so many more variations on that, then it starts to get away from just enjoying the soccer portion of the league. 
If goalies are all between 3 and 4, why do they even matter?   seems like a range of 2-5 would be more ideal.   Are the best goalies the ones on crappy teams see the most shots or the ones on winning teams seeing less shots?

Maybe 0.25 for a shot on goal.  

Can we not run waivers tonight?  Or at least wait until all the new toys are official and in the database before running waivers again?

Just an FYI - the Man City v. Everton match has been rescheduled for Wednesday (It had been scheduled for the weekend - but moved for the League Cup Final)

If you need/want to drop an Everton (or Man City) player before the match - let me know and I will do it manually.  You can't pick up anybody before the match - but since the match is played before waivers run, those players will be locked on your roster if you do not drop them before the match starts).

ETA - League Cup is weekend of February 24 - so Chelsea and Man City players will not be playing that week.

And - Man City and Everton will be playing twice in this game week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - expect some schedule reshuffling around the FA Cup ties in the 6th Round - still a few PL teams left - that will be weekend of March 17.

Slow your roll, chachi. Technically, even @Bonzai and I can still catch you.
I posted way too early.  Lost my next two with the teams behind me all winning. But after this week's games, I'm back to being confident.

I have to go 0-3 with one of the teams tied for 2nd, and with more points than me going 3-0, in order for me not to win it.

With that said........DYNASTY 🏆

Still have a ways to go, but have to say I really nailed my first 6 picks this year.

1st -- Aguero 5.15 PPG

2nd -- D. Silva 4.34 PPG

3rd -- A. Robertson 5.39 PPG

4th -- Trent Alexander-Arnold 5.03 PPG

5th -- Bernardo Silva 4.42 PPG

6th -- Callum Wilson 4.56 PPG
4/6 made the PFA Team of the Year. 

And Callum has now joined the other 3 that are scoring 5+ ppg. 

Still won't win the league :kicksrock:

Yea, great game. De Gea’s mistake cost me a title clinching win.

Need a W in one of these last two games.....

17 and 15 GS
It was 19 and 18 - but to be fair, we both were setting up the rosters via free agents to maximize points with the double weeks.

Fine margins though... if De Gea does not spill the ball, or even if Llorente starts the 2nd match of the week - or if either of us started WH players v. Tottenham it all could have turned out differently.  As it was, after Shaw picked up the assist today, I knew it was going to be close - and even then, Young pickup up the late yellow made the difference a little bigger.

I think the top-3 top-4 are effectively locked into their positions at this point:

1. @JMon348
  2. @gianmarco
  3. @Sinn Fein
  4. @TLEF316

4th (subject to changes in the last two games this week):

@TLEF316- plays Sinn Fein - win or Christo loss gets 4th place

@Poke_4_Life - plays @ThreeThousand - needs a win and Tlef loss, and outscore Tlef by 38 points, and Christo loss. (probably not going to happen)

@Christo - plays @Moe.  - needs to win, and Tlef lose. (currently holds an 18 point lead on Tlef - each with 2 players yet to play this week)

ETA - scrap the race for 4th - I was looking at points against, not points for.  Tlef will finish 4th - neither Christo nor Poke can catch Tlef, and Tlef cannot catch me or Gianmarco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the top-3 top-4 are effectively locked into their positions at this point:

1. @JMon348
  2. @gianmarco
  3. @Sinn Fein
  4. @TLEF316

4th (subject to changes in the last two games this week):

@TLEF316- plays Sinn Fein - win or Christo loss gets 4th place

@Poke_4_Life - plays @ThreeThousand - needs a win and Tlef loss, and outscore Tlef by 38 points, and Christo loss. (probably not going to happen)

@Christo - plays @Moe.  - needs to win, and Tlef lose. (currently holds an 18 point lead on Tlef - each with 2 players yet to play this week)

ETA - scrap the race for 4th - I was looking at points against, not points for.  Tlef will finish 4th - neither Christo nor Poke can catch Tlef, and Tlef cannot catch me or Gianmarco.
I still have to win this week against Tlef. And then next week I still need to win or you need to lose. Still TBD.

I still have to win this week against Tlef. And then next week I still need to win or you need to lose. Still TBD.
I've done the math - you seem unlikely to lose this week - assuming the Silvas both start.  Its not a given - obviously, but you have a 2 point lead, and 1 extra player.  Assuming Man City keep a clean sheet - then it would be a net of 2 points for Tlef.  It seems unlikely that Sterling scores and Aguero and/or the Silvas are not also on the scoresheet.

Although you dodged a big bullet this week...with Willian not playing, and Son playing.

Next week you face Gator - who has not changed his line-up in 40 weeks...

I've done the math - you seem unlikely to lose this week - assuming the Silvas both start.  Its not a given - obviously, but you have a 2 point lead, and 1 extra player.  Assuming Man City keep a clean sheet - then it would be a net of 2 points for Tlef.  It seems unlikely that Sterling scores and Aguero and/or the Silvas are not also on the scoresheet.

Although you dodged a big bullet this week...with Willian not playing, and Son playing.

Ha...forgot about Gator.  So yeah, that's true.

But going up against Sterling, possible for him to drop 15 pts.  Nothing is a given with that team and those players.  I would certainly take my side, but I've seen far stranger things.  I did get a little lucky, though.

If only I had beaten Wengerbus in our last matchup.  That's mostly what it came down to.  And I think I had 5+ losses by 2-3 pts or less. 

Speaking of math, I think I need 23 points more to have highest points total in a season since I've been in (6 yrs?).

Final matchup of the year between CityPool and Wengerbus in week 29.

Wengerbus

CityPool

That loss by 0.67 points is why I'm in 2nd and he's in 1st.  If Burnley doesn't score in the 90th minute in their matchup against Crystal, that would have been enough.  :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread