What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

At least you’re not this guy... (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
Barry Cofield - DL -  Free Agent

Former Giants and Redskins NT Barry Cofield was arrested and charged with DUI, fleeing police, aggravated assault on an officer, resisting arrest, and possession of heroin in Lake Mary, Fla. on Tuesday.

Cofield last played in the NFL in 2015 with the Giants and spent six years in New York and four with the Redskins. He allegedly was passed out behind the wheel of his Cadillac Escalade and blocking traffic on an off-ramp. When awakened, Cofield hit the gas and fled the scene before he was stopped and found drunk and in possession of heroin. Cofield turned 34 this year.

Damnation, it’s just baffling how self destructive so many players are, given the talent and opportunity that they have been blessed with.

Damnation, it’s just baffling how self destructive so many players people are, given the talent and opportunity that they have been blessed with.

Players are people just like everyone else.  We all read about or know people who ruin their lives through addiction and abuse when they seem to have everything going for them. Maybe not on the scale of a multi-million-dollar-earning NFL player, but that doesn’t change the underlying fact that people are people. And we only/mostly hear and read screw ups, while the vast majority of NFL players are good guys doing well for themselves and their families. The NFL is just a slice of "normal" society when it comes to all the kinds of vices and mistakes that people make. 

Not sure why I decided to stand on this soap box but I did... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Players are people just like everyone else.  We all read about or know people who ruin their lives through addiction and abuse when they seem to have everything going for them. Maybe not on the scale of a multi-million-dollar-earning NFL player, but that doesn’t change the underlying fact that people are people. And we only/mostly hear and read screw ups, while the vast majority of NFL players are good guys doing well for themselves and their families. The NFL is just a slice of "normal" society when it comes to all the kinds of vices and mistakes that people make. 

Not sure why I decided to stand on this soap box but I did... :)

I’m pretty sure the overwhelming majority of those posting here (or just going through their own lives) don’t fit what is described below:

Sports Illustrated recently estimated that 80% of retired NFL players go broke in their first three years out of the League. How is this possible in a sport rolling in revenue with an average salary of almost $2 million a year? With few exceptions, the star players I have represented since salaries exploded are set financially for life. These are the players at the tip of the compensation pyramid, but what about the rest? The median income in the NFL is roughly $750,000 and the average career span is less than four years. Most college graduates don’t attain these levels of revenue in their first years out of college

I’m pretty sure the overwhelming majority of those posting here (or just going through their own lives) don’t fit what is described below:
Fair enough. I'm just saying that some people do drugs or are alcoholics, and some don't. Whether they're in the NFL or not. Not sure why we think that somehow having loads of money in the bank would change an addicts point of view or way of life.

Fair enough. I'm just saying that some people do drugs or are alcoholics, and some don't. Whether they're in the NFL or not. Not sure why we think that somehow having loads of money in the bank would change an addicts point of view or way of life.

Understood.  I’m not looking for an argument.  It’s just that such a high percentage of these guys see their lives go so badly sideways so quickly after retiring, when they seemingly have a leg up on the greater portion of the populace so early in their lives.  It’s just such a shame.

Understood.  I’m not looking for an argument.  It’s just that such a high percentage of these guys see their lives go so badly sideways so quickly after retiring, when they seemingly have a leg up on the greater portion of the populace so early in their lives.  It’s just such a shame.
Yeah, I wasn't looking for anargument either. Like I said, not sure why I decided to stand on that soap box this morning when normally I wouldn't. :)

I don't have numbers, but I imagine a similar story can be said for Lottery winners (a large percentage blow all their money in a few years).

Just to jump in, though we're getting close to FFA territory, I would tend to think that all else being equal, having loads of money (at least being set for life) would lead to a lower chance of addition.  Many turn to drugs and alcohol and other things because they've reached a low point in life, but as the above snippet said, these guys are at the tip of the compensation pyramid.  So why do we see such a higher percentage of addition (and bankruptcy) in former NFL players than we do in the general population?

It's completely unsurprising to me that so many of these players crash and burn financially (if not worse) after they stop collecting the big pay checks. Most players are pushed through the education system without actually being educated (unless they really want it for themselves) and have little concept of financial management (or life management for many).

many of them just aren't smart enough to make a million dollars last. they spend foolishly, and when out of the league they continue those spending ways. 

a large percent of lottery ticket winners end up broke or dead. 

I'm not the least bit surprised. 

this is the #1 reason I decided to not go pro. I didn't want to be broke. 

I hope the pain killers didn't hook him on that stuff. If they did I hope he gets better.

If he just decided to do them then oh well.

They also have BIGGER TARGETS on their backs at a very young age. If someone doesn’t put their arm around them and take them under their wings then surely it’s possible.

Tex

They don't have a leg up, they have more money. Better stated they receive the vast majority of their life time earnings within a very short time span.

They generally receive substandard education due to the time constraints of their football schedule. Add to that the fact they take dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of blows to the head and it doesn't seem too difficult to believe many of them don't always make great fiscal, or life, choices.

They don't have a leg up, they have more money. Better stated they receive the vast majority of their life time earnings within a very short time span.

They generally receive substandard education due to the time constraints of their football schedule. Add to that the fact they take dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of blows to the head and it doesn't seem too difficult to believe many of them don't always make great fiscal, or life, choices.
:goodposting:

No question about it, I wouldn't trade my life with 99% of NFL players.

Also careers can be very short.  To get to the NFL, most, (not all) are singularly focused on football and not thinking about what they're going to do when they're done.

And it is usually when they between the ages of 21-26. That’s not necessarily a time in life when people are always the wisest about money and making sound financial decisions. Lord knows how much money I would have squandered if someone gave me $750k at age 21.

Also I would assume there is a correlation between the type of person that is likely to play football at that level and them being the type of person that is prone to take risks. Football is a dangerous sport and a lot of conservative cautious people would simply never be willing to take the risks with their body that college and pro football require. Football will naturally attract people who are more willing to take a big risk or be wreckless.

Lots of factors at play, but I believe the main problem is these guys aren’t nearly prepared enough when their NFL careers end (or they get cut).

The money stops & boom, they’re in deep doo-doo. Many never finished their degree & don’t have a good fall-back plan.

It’s not an excuse, but things can spiral out of control quickly when the “easy” money ends.

Users who are viewing this thread