What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ICE (2 Viewers)

The minute you bring those groups up you’re destroying your argument IMO. 
I am reminded here of a RHONJ episode. 

Siggy was all like I dont have any problems with Kim D because she has never done anything bad to me. Margaret was like siggy how can you ignore what she has done to other people? I mean Hitler probably would have been extra to me (Margaret is blonde and blue eyed) so should i just ignore what he did to other people? Siggy then is like whoa whoa whoa I am a "super jew" you cant say Hitler around me. Youre anti semitic!!! Margaret is then like anti semitic??? I am married to a jew. My kids are jewish. I was using Hitler as an example of how ridiculous it is to only use how somebody treats you as the basis for judging them. Siggy then is like if you bring up Hitler, you have already lost the argument.

If we really wanted to reduce illegal immigration we'd pass laws that would penalize the owners of businesses that employ the illegal immigrants. By penalize I mean send the owners of the business to jail for 30 days. If it's a corporation send the officers of the company to jail. You can be sure they'd do a better job of making sure they only hired people eligible to work in the country.

Of course, since the group that would be punished by my suggested laws is commonly called "the donor class" the chance of anything remotely like this ever becoming law approaches 0.
Does that seem just to you? I mean sure the guy that knows damn well that his employees are illegal, pays them in cash, and keeps no records on file deserves to go to jail. But does the guy that employs somebody that has a fake social security card and ID deserve jail time because he didn't hire PI's to do serious research on prospective employees and isn't even the hiring manager? That seems like passing the buck on enforcement responsibilities to me and would mean nationwide businesses would have to spend large sums of money to make sure they dont end up in jail. 

parasaurolophus said:
Does that seem just to you? I mean sure the guy that knows damn well that his employees are illegal, pays them in cash, and keeps no records on file deserves to go to jail. But does the guy that employs somebody that has a fake social security card and ID deserve jail time because he didn't hire PI's to do serious research on prospective employees and isn't even the hiring manager? That seems like passing the buck on enforcement responsibilities to me and would mean nationwide businesses would have to spend large sums of money to make sure they dont end up in jail. 
I'm talking mostly about the first type but I believe that if systems that can automate checking the validity of IDs don't already exist it would not be too difficult to implement them. If the business owners made a serious good faith effort to verify eligibility then they shouldn't do jail time. Even so there's never going to be any serious effort to pass or enforce immigration laws that penalizes business owners for hiring undocumented workers.

TobiasFunke said:
Holding out examples of ICE arresting and deporting criminals or other success stories is a silly straw man. 
The case of this guy going to the hospital was splashed all over the news with plenty of media disgust thrown in on top.  The straw man was laid out there by the press.

The case of this guy going to the hospital was splashed all over the news with plenty of media disgust thrown in on top.  The straw man was laid out there by the press.
I was referring to the Nazi thing.  And also the idea that ICE is good because they maybe deported a murderer.  The idea that ICE is good because of those things is silly and a straw man since nobody has ever claimed that 100% of what they do is bad.  Has nothing to do with poor tweeting/reporting on a possible murderer. 

It is disgusting to see so many politicians, media, and low info partisan hacks attack ICE and defend murderers and rapists. 

They made a hero out of the guy who murdered Kate Steinle. 

This guy that raped and murdered Mollie Tibbets will probably be a guest speaker at the DNC convention in 2020.

where are all the liberals celebrating the freedom of Cristhian Bahena Rivera today?

come on out here, support your illegally here man and tell us all again why our sons and daughters is so much less important that the process of legal immigration ?

seriously, please ask yourself if this was your daughter how you'd feel about the people that fight hard to keep guys like freely in the US ?

I hate it - furiously

It is quite sad. 

How many women have to be raped and murdered before they set aside their petty politics?

Remember when they mocked those 2 black families at the SOTU address who lost daughters to MS13?

Unfortunately, until it happens to someone they know they will likely keep cheering for sanctuary cities and open borders. 

where are all the liberals celebrating the freedom of Cristhian Bahena Rivera today?

come on out here, support your illegally here man and tell us all again why our sons and daughters is so much less important that the process of legal immigration ?

seriously, please ask yourself if this was your daughter how you'd feel about the people that fight hard to keep guys like freely in the US ?

I hate it - furiously
Won't see them in this thread for a while.

I’m here. 

And I challenge NFL2DF’s statements as a bunch of lies. Show me the Democrat who treated Kate Steinle’s killer as a “hero”. Show me ANYONE who regards any undocumented killer or rapist as a hero. 

What we don’t like is when you paint ALL undocumented immigrants with the same broad brush. 99% of them aren’t rapists or murderers and the ones that aren’t deserve to stay here IMO. And that’s why I support Sanctuary Cities. The ones that are rapists and murderers can die, like all rapists and murderers. 

It is quite sad. 

How many women have to be raped and murdered before they set aside their petty politics?

Remember when they mocked those 2 black families at the SOTU address who lost daughters to MS13?

Unfortunately, until it happens to someone they know they will likely keep cheering for sanctuary cities and open borders. 
You wouldn't hear about this if it hadn't been national news the past week

probably not or they'll say is such a small % of bad illegals it doesn't matter .... which is easy to say since it wasn't their kid, their community etc and what happened to the liberal "if we can save one life" ???

Search for the name mollie tibbetts on msnbc website yielded a story that her body might have been found with no information about the suspect, over at CNN is is headline and reports suspect is an undocumented immigrant, over at foxnews the suspect is described as an illegal alien.  This is close to home, so any way it was reported confirmed horrible news.  Just found it glaring that those three websites have very different editorial positions on the same story.

What we don’t like is when you paint ALL undocumented immigrants with the same broad brush. 99% of them aren’t rapists or murderers and the ones that aren’t deserve to stay here IMO. And that’s why I support Sanctuary Cities. The ones that are rapists and murderers can die, like all rapists and murderers
kinds like 99% of gun owners aren't murderers ?? but you'd ban gun quickly enough wouldn't you ?

your side would have fought tooth and nail to keep this guy living where he was - and your side says the NRA has blood on its hand ?

Just found it glaring that those three websites have very different editorial positions on the same story.
oh absolutely and they've been doing it for years and years - how a story is told can dramatically impact how its viewed by people - the media can literally sway public opinion

I’m here. 

And I challenge NFL2DF’s statements as a bunch of lies. Show me the Democrat who treated Kate Steinle’s killer as a “hero”. Show me ANYONE who regards any undocumented killer or rapist as a hero. 

What we don’t like is when you paint ALL undocumented immigrants with the same broad brush. 99% of them aren’t rapists or murderers and the ones that aren’t deserve to stay here IMO. And that’s why I support Sanctuary Cities. The ones that are rapists and murderers can die, like all rapists and murderers. 
Hello mr straw man

give timschochet credit - he's in the thread

today is possibly the worst case scenario for the left and their defense of illegally here people ..... its exactly what Trump and the right has shouted for 2 years - we HAVE to secure that border and we HAVE to have as close to 0 illegally here people as possible

American lives are in danger, people are being murdered by these illegally here people and those same people are being aided and abetted by liberals - literally

Its times to stop it, these lives like Mollie Tibbett matters

American Lives Matter

TobiasFunke said:
Holding out examples of ICE arresting and deporting criminals or other success stories is a silly straw man. Nobody is arguing that they don't do this. The argument is that, on balance, they are abusive and unjust and do more harm than good. I'm sure the SS and the Khmer Rouge and Hussein's Republican Guard got rid of some terrible people too. Getting rid of some terrible people doesn't singlehandedly justify a group's existence/tactics.
Success story?  That has zero to do with my point.  The media ran with this story and spun a narrative way before they had all the facts like they do with so many stories.  

give timschochet credit - he's in the thread

today is possibly the worst case scenario for the left and their defense of illegally here people ..... its exactly what Trump and the right has shouted for 2 years - we HAVE to secure that border and we HAVE to have as close to 0 illegally here people as possible

American lives are in danger, people are being murdered by these illegally here people and those same people are being aided and abetted by liberals - literally

Its times to stop it, these lives like Mollie Tibbett matters

American Lives Matter
Trump’s been POTUS for over a year and a half.  This happened on his watch.

Trump’s been POTUS for over a year and a half.  This happened on his watch.
yes it did and Trump has to take that blame

Trump should use Executive Powers now to save American Lives - there is a clear danger that has to be addressed. Trying to negotiate with Democrats have failed and US citizens are dying.

honest question - do you think Democrats now will stop supporting sheltering these illegally here people knowing American lives are in danger? or do you think they'll continue to thwart ICE and deportations and border security ?

we both know the answer, I just want you to admit it

Barack Obama‏Verified account @BarackObama

President Obama: "If there’s even one thing we can do, if there’s just one life we can save—we've got an obligation to try.” #NowIsTheTime

11:54 AM - 4 Feb 2013

Trump needs to do this now, use American citizens security at risk and Executive Order border security and mass deportation - too many US Citizens have died

There is no way to tell the bad illegally here people from the non-bad ones .... you have to vet each one through the legal immigration process.

I hate it - furiously
FYI, as horrible and tragic as this story is, it turns out that Cristhian Bahena Rivera was in this country legally:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/investigations/2018/08/22/mollie-tibbetts-alleged-killer-iowa-legally-lawyer-missing-student-body-found-brooklyn-trump/1064567002/

Mollie Tibbetts’ accused killer is in Iowa legally, his lawyer says, calling Trump 'sad and sorry' for weighing in

A court document filed Wednesday morning states that the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts was working legally in Iowa.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera was charged Tuesday in the July 18 disappearance of Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student whose abduction has captured national headlines.

Law enforcement officials on Tuesday said he was an undocumented immigrant, which immediately fueled political debate, including a statement from Gov. Kim Reynolds:"We are angry that a broken immigration system allowed a predator like this to live in our community, and we will do all we can (to) bring justice to Mollie’s killer.”

A document filed just before 9:30 a.m. Wednesday by Rivera’s attorney calls into question Rivera's immigration status.

The government is incorrectly promoting the idea that Rivera is not in Iowa legally, attorney Allen Richards of Tama said in a court document asking for a gag order in the case.

"Sad and sorry Trump has weighed in on this matter in national media which will poison the entire possible pool of jury members," Richards wrote, referencing a statement from the president citing Tibbetts' death as an example why "immigration laws are such a disgrace."

Rivera has lived in Iowa for four to seven years, working at Yarrabee Farms, a Brooklyn-area farm owned by Eric Lang, the brother of Craig Lang, a prominent Republican.

Craig Lang has verified that Rivera is in Iowa legally, according to Richards’ motion.

"Craig Lang supports Cristhian’s right to be in this jurisdiction and for the government to support any other idea of status publicly flies in the face of such statement," Richard wrote.

"Cristhian deserves the court’s protection as to his characterization before a jury pool."

interesting

first he was illegally here and a firestorm sparked

now, magically .... he's here legally ?

that would serve the left very well ... I'm curious to see how this one spins out

also -

In applying for the job, Rivera provided a state ID and Social Security card that was verified through the Social Security Administration's verification system, according to Lang. But those forms of ID were not of Rivera, he said.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesperson Michael Bars told CNN that Rivera did not make any requests for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, that might have provided him legal status in the US.

"We have found no record in our systems indicating he has any immigration status," Bars said.

So his lawyer and the brother that hired the illegal say he was here legally.  Yup I am convinced nothing more to see here.  Good to see that squis pop back in here

FYI, as horrible and tragic as this story is, it turns out that Cristhian Bahena Rivera was in this country legally:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/investigations/2018/08/22/mollie-tibbetts-alleged-killer-iowa-legally-lawyer-missing-student-body-found-brooklyn-trump/1064567002/

Mollie Tibbetts’ accused killer is in Iowa legally, his lawyer says, calling Trump 'sad and sorry' for weighing in

A court document filed Wednesday morning states that the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts was working legally in Iowa.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera was charged Tuesday in the July 18 disappearance of Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student whose abduction has captured national headlines.

Law enforcement officials on Tuesday said he was an undocumented immigrant, which immediately fueled political debate, including a statement from Gov. Kim Reynolds:"We are angry that a broken immigration system allowed a predator like this to live in our community, and we will do all we can (to) bring justice to Mollie’s killer.”

A document filed just before 9:30 a.m. Wednesday by Rivera’s attorney calls into question Rivera's immigration status.

The government is incorrectly promoting the idea that Rivera is not in Iowa legally, attorney Allen Richards of Tama said in a court document asking for a gag order in the case.

"Sad and sorry Trump has weighed in on this matter in national media which will poison the entire possible pool of jury members," Richards wrote, referencing a statement from the president citing Tibbetts' death as an example why "immigration laws are such a disgrace."

Rivera has lived in Iowa for four to seven years, working at Yarrabee Farms, a Brooklyn-area farm owned by Eric Lang, the brother of Craig Lang, a prominent Republican.

Craig Lang has verified that Rivera is in Iowa legally, according to Richards’ motion.

"Craig Lang supports Cristhian’s right to be in this jurisdiction and for the government to support any other idea of status publicly flies in the face of such statement," Richard wrote.

"Cristhian deserves the court’s protection as to his characterization before a jury pool."
The person whose identity he stole may have been here legally, but he was not.

The person whose identity he stole may have been here legally, but he was not.
Squiston is the messageboard version of a drive by shooter.   He never addresses when he is completely wrong, just comes in and posts some dumb and crazy stuff (dont get me started on the tweets) and when proved horribly wrong he just ignores he even did it.  Truly worst poster on this board

Squiston is the messageboard version of a drive by shooter.   He never addresses when he is completely wrong, just comes in and posts some dumb and crazy stuff (dont get me started on the tweets) and when proved horribly wrong he just ignores he even did it.  Truly worst poster on this board
while clashing on ideas, he does engage and discuss instead of name calling and adding to ignore list like so many left/liberals do

he'll come back to this I'd bet on it and admit he was a victim of fake news

this guy was illegally here, the very same people Democrats fight hard to protect ... American Lives Matter, Mollie Tibbetts had a dream, separating families at the border needs addressed,  permanently removing families like this is another and needs addressed too

c'mon back  now ..... the above is fake news, isn't it ?

c'mon back  now ..... the above is fake news, isn't it ?
No, it is not fake news as I don't think that even you believe that The Des Moines Register intentionally misreported this. There was a court document backed by an account of his long time employer. The Des Moines Register is a respected publication, so there was no reason not to quote them and think that the information reported was correct under the circumstances.  :shrug:

It does appear that report was incorrect and he provided false documentation and if so, was here illegally.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does appear that report was incorrect and he provided false documentation and if so, was here illegally.
If ?

The news that he was legally here was wrong, it wan't real .... it was fake and it was released and you read it and believed it and many more people did too. It's an example of how media can lead people into thinking things that aren't true - how many people read that he was here legally and still believe it ?

No, it is not fake news as I don't think that even you believe that The Des Moines Register intentionally misreported this.
Yet it is telling that when these misreportings happen they all tend to be on one side.  Gives a glimmer into the predisposition of reporters that, while human, tend to make mistakes that show their leanings.

If ?

The news that he was legally here was wrong, it wan't real .... it was fake and it was released and you read it and believed it and many more people did too. It's an example of how media can lead people into thinking things that aren't true - how many people read that he was here legally and still believe it ?
Something that was published in good faith and turns out to be wrong is not fake news

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news

Fake news is a type of yellow journalism or propaganda that consists of deliberate misinformation or hoaxes spread via traditional print and broadcast news media or online social media.
There is no indication that The Des Moines Register deliberately printed a false story with the intent to mislead people. I haven't followed up with their site, but I imagine this was either later corrected or a subsequent story was run with the accurate information re his immigration status.

Yet it is telling that when these misreportings happen they all tend to be on one side.  Gives a glimmer into the predisposition of reporters that, while human, tend to make mistakes that show their leanings.
That isn't true. If someone were to make a count I imagine there is just as much inaccurate reporting from news organizations on both the right and left.

Fox News has a well documented history of false reporting (Seth Rich being the best known) or misleading stories. Plus Breitbart and Daily Caller have frequently run with "news" that is inaccurate or incorrect (those mistakes are not publicized much from their critics since these sites are not considered credible sources to begin with).

You got that right. We shoot each other dead right and left all the time.
"we" don't, criminals do

If we can save just 1 American life from being taken by an illegally here person, isn't it worth it ? If it is, shouldn't we all band together to stop illegals from being here? It its not worth it, just say so.

The left protects illegally here people - protects them from deportation and side steps legal immigration. Democrats WANT people like Cristhian Bahena Rivera here, they fight very, very hard.

How many illegally here people are criminals, deviants ... deplorable? Hard to know but that's exactly why there is a legal immigration system !

"we" don't, criminals do

If we can save just 1 American life from being taken by an illegally here person, isn't it worth it ? If it is, shouldn't we all band together to stop illegals from being here? It its not worth it, just say so.

The left protects illegally here people - protects them from deportation and side steps legal immigration. Democrats WANT people like Cristhian Bahena Rivera here, they fight very, very hard.

How many illegally here people are criminals, deviants ... deplorable? Hard to know but that's exactly why there is a legal immigration system !
 And a lot were not criminals until after they killed someone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion  you got suckered into believing something that wasn't true - that's what it was, you can dance all around it all you want to. You wanted to believe that, because supporting illegally here people who murder US Citizens looks really bad. I get it.

The Des Moines Register probably reported in error , I agree ............... but you never know, I'm always cross checking news to see if I can find what's true and not, hey, I get suckered sometimes too

And a lot were not criminals until after they killed someone. 
we simply don't know what the backgrounds are because they're here illegally, they're by-passed our legal immigration system aided and abetted by Democrats and liberal left

we should ALL be working towards zero illegally here people - everyone, for the safety of US citizens

are you not sick of the damages done by illegal here people?

"we" don't, criminals do

By this logic shouldn't we also stop legal immigration?  That would save lives.

And if your concern here is only with using behavior that violates existing laws as a way to prevent murders, why not criminalize speeding and make that punishable by life in prison?  That would also save lives!

No, it is not fake news as I don't think that even you believe that The Des Moines Register intentionally misreported this. There was a court document backed by an account of his long time employer. The Des Moines Register is a respected publication, so there was no reason not to quote them and think that the information reported was correct under the circumstances.  :shrug:

lollers

Users who are viewing this thread