What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Phillip Lindsay, IND (2 Viewers)

YPC is a pretty weak indicator anyway. If you’ve got a bigger back who is getting the first down, short yardage & GL carries averaging under 4 YPC & then the CoP guy comes in for misdirection rushing plays or running draws on passing downs, and the latter averages over 5-6 YPC, it’s not a very nuanced view to say “sheesh these coaches are dumb.” 
This doesn't apply to Lindsay AT ALL. He plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. And Lindsay has also been given the GL carries. So I guess his 7.6 YPC should be even higher if not for the goal line TDs right? 

YPC is a pretty weak indicator anyway. If you’ve got a bigger back who is getting the first down, short yardage & GL carries averaging under 4 YPC & then the CoP guy comes in for misdirection rushing plays or running draws on passing downs, and the latter averages over 5-6 YPC, it’s not a very nuanced view to say “sheesh these coaches are dumb.” 
This is far from the case for Lindsey.  He gets the ball in all situations but he isn't used all the time.  It is clear from just watching him play that he is a quality back that has quickness & power (he delivers blows and breaks tackles) and is superior to Freeman.  His YPC is not a fluke based on situational use but I am sure it would take a hit if he goes from 14-15 carries a game to 22-25 carries a game.  In the case for Denver, the YPC is a telling stat when comparing Lindsey and Freeman.  They are used in similar situations but Lindsey is in a different gear. 

This is far from the case for Lindsey.  He gets the ball in all situations but he isn't used all the time.  It is clear from just watching him play that he is a quality back that has quickness & power (he delivers blows and breaks tackles) and is superior to Freeman.  His YPC is not a fluke based on situational use but I am sure it would take a hit if he goes from 14-15 carries a game to 22-25 carries a game.  In the case for Denver, the YPC is a telling stat when comparing Lindsey and Freeman.  They are used in similar situations but Lindsey is in a different gear. 
Absolutely, and good points on the DEN RB situation. My comments were more general in nature and not necessarily referring to this situation. The point remains but more applicable to say Gordon/Ekeler or Howard/Cohen type situations.

Lindsay has outplayed Royce Freeman from the get go and throughout the season he has been a solid RB2.

This doesn't apply to Lindsay AT ALL. He plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. And Lindsay has also been given the GL carries. So I guess his 7.6 YPC should be even higher if not for the goal line TDs right? 
Fair enough. I am not upset the Broncos distribute the work load, though - Lindsay doesn't strike me as a back who optimally should be getting 25-30 touches a game.

In Detroit, all year long people have been saying Blount is done, he shouldn't be getting any touches, etc. Yet when Kerryon was out on Thanksgiving Day and Blount was being used in something other than inside runs in other than obvious running situations, he was quite effective. Turns out he's not done by any means. And my point is applicable to tons of situations in the NFL right now, but FFers are all about managing by box score without looking at situational usage.

Lindsay doesn't strike me as a back who optimally should be getting 25-30 touches a game.
He did it just fine in college. What indication has Lindsay himself ever given that he can't handle the load? Can you point to anything other than stereotypes and small sample sizes of small running backs who aren't Lindsay?

If we look at everything Lindsay has done in college and the pros, I don't see any real reason they should be limiting his touches. Ride him like a stud and win some games. Yeah they won the last two but I'm pretty sure they could have grabbed at least one other win this year if they would just embrace their best back with more work. But Vance is gonna Vance.

He did it just fine in college. What indication has Lindsay himself ever given that he can't handle the load? Can you point to anything other than stereotypes and small sample sizes of small running backs who aren't Lindsay?

If we look at everything Lindsay has done in college and the pros, I don't see any real reason they should be limiting his touches. Ride him like a stud and win some games. Yeah they won the last two but I'm pretty sure they could have grabbed at least one other win this year if they would just embrace their best back with more work. But Vance is gonna Vance.
Lindsay is 15th in the NFL amongst RBs for touches; Freeman is 49th. If you're making a case he's being criminally underused I think I'm not buying it. But I also have only seen replays and highlights. Probably a higher level of frustration watching the games real time.

Freeman is averaging 4.2 ypc. On 84 carries.

Phillip Lindsay is averaging 5.8 ypc. On 135 carries.

Both should be getting more work, but Lindsay especially. As a team they rank 23 in total attempts. 

Keenum has a qbr that puts him at the same levels of Carr, Eli, Bortles. The Broncos are 5-6. Feed the strength of your squad if you want the playoffs. 

hilts nailed it. Keenum is NOT the strength of that team. He's a fine game manager but they are going to win on that defense and run game. So again, I'd feed the heck out of the guy netting 7.6 YPC over the last 2 weeks. He just has IT when you watch him run, cut, and even between plays, he just looks so jacked up and excited to do what he's doing. I love the guy. 

I am such a huge fan of Phillip Lindsay. His whole life has has had to work harder than most whether in the classroom or the football field. For those who may not know, Lindsay has a learning difference (I don't call it is learning disability as most people do). People with learning differences, in order to survive and to rise above the odds, often have tremendous perseverance and courage.  I can see the same resolve to rise above the challenges he faced in school also displayed on the football field. What an inspiration Lindsay is indeed! His heart and devotion to his team is contagious! I am fortunate to have Lindsay on my fantasy football team and wish him nothing but the best in his future as a professional football player. Go Lindsay Go!

I am such a huge fan of Phillip Lindsay. His whole life has has had to work harder than most whether in the classroom or the football field. For those who may not know, Lindsay has a learning difference (I don't call it is learning disability as most people do). People with learning differences, in order to survive and to rise above the odds, often have tremendous perseverance and courage.  I can see the same resolve to rise above the challenges he faced in school also displayed on the football field. What an inspiration Lindsay is indeed! His heart and devotion to his team is contagious! I am fortunate to have Lindsay on my fantasy football team and wish him nothing but the best in his future as a professional football player. Go Lindsay Go!
Not that it matters, but do you know what his differences are? I was aware of it during the draft when it was mentioned, but never saw anything specific -- sounded from the way he self-described it as akin to ADHD, but never saw him or any other article/piece categorize it, and wondering if Lindsay was ever specific about it.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Not that it matters, but do you know what his differences are? I was aware of it during the draft when it was mentioned, but never saw anything specific -- sounded from the way he self-described it as akin to ADHD, but never saw him or any other article/piece categorize it, and wondering if Lindsay was ever specific about it.

Hello Stompin,

I am not certain if Lindsay's difference was purely ADHD. It sounds, possibly, more like dyslexia (language based difference) although I have not heard of a specific type(s) of difference mentioned.  Here is one article I found:

https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/5/9/buffs-lindsay-took-dedication-work-ethic-to-classroom-as-well-as-football-field.aspx

Go Lindsay!

In one league, he's pretty much locked in as my flex ROS (behind Zeke and Chubb and ahead of Breida). In another where we can only start 2 RBs, it's going to be a weekly decision between him and Michel. Probably going Lindsay this week because of the better matchup.

Which isn't the case here, right?

BobbyLayne said:
I’ll presume you read the subsequent posts & don’t need me to answer that again
No thanks, I don't need anymore generic references to ffers reading boxscores.

He still lives at home with his parents to save money. 

He's talked about wanting to become a cop and be a part of law enforcement once his football career comes to a close. 

Lindsay, against CIN in the 2nd quarter wk 13, trusted with the ball to pound it out inside the 10, shows extraordinary vision and burst to make a hesitation cut against the grain and runs it with speed and power into the paint.

On an earlier play in the quarter on a 3rd and short, Lindsay gets his number called and gets met right in th hole by a charging Burfict in a big collision - that Lindsay wins, churning his legs with power to pick up the first.

I saw it from the start in preseason, but at this point if there are any doubters left, those who say Lindsay is too small to handle 3 down back work, that his size makes him just a scat back, that he can’t handle all the roles of a 3 down back, or the power game, or play physically against guys twice his weight...

...it really is time to simply admit you are wrong. Otherwise, it’s an admission that you can’t gauge RB talent.

Lindsay has had one hell of a season as the Broncos primary back, in all phases of the game. Such a great luxury to have Freeman on this team, and the Broncos should use him to develop and in tandem to keep both guys fresh.

But he is a luxury at this point as Lindsay simply can do it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillip Lindsay rushed 19 times for 157 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos' Week 13 win over the Bengals.

The Broncos always had a good shot to follow in the footsteps of other opposing offenses and paste the Bengals' defense for numerous points, but Lindsay made it look easy throughout the day. Not only did he outrun Cincinnati's entire secondary to put the Broncos on the board with a 65-yard touchdown sprint, he later showed patience in waiting for his blocking from six yards out and running up the middle for his second score of the day. Lindsay's now out-touched teammate Royce Freeman 34-18 in the last two games, efficiently rushing for a total of 267 yards (8.09 YPC) and three scores in that stint. Clearly the team's leading back for the rest of the season, he'll again be an RB1 in San Francisco next week.

Dec 2 - 4:22 PM

Lindsay, what can you say? He is an amazing athlete with keen vision and breathtaking speed!  Those two TDs  against Cincinnati were splendid!

Absolute stud.  I’m always amazed to see kids like him go unstaffed.  Where was the breakdown in analysis?  How was Ronald Jones so highly touted and this kid an afterthought?  He runs circles around rojo. 

Spent $70 of my $100 FAAB week 1 for Lindsay in my keeper league. 

Between the Fournette and Kupp injuries, Lindsay has been an integral part to my success this season. 

Loved his post game press conference today. You can tell he's loosening up and coming into his own. Getting more comfortable and it's showing on the field. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup he’s been huge this year and was able to add him in multiple leagues just off of waivers. One team he’s filling in solidly for Bell and should pair nicely with Bell and Mixon next year. Another I traded him for DJ Moore, have rb depth and not much at WR and Moore looks to be solid so think it was a win-win for both teams. 

Most importantly looks to have helped win my league for FBG players championship (barring something real crazy from ertz) especially with Matt Ryan and tyreek having a bad week. 

Another great player that I was able to get because of the great posters on this site.

Most importantly looks to have helped win my league for FBG players championship (barring something real crazy from ertz) especially with Matt Ryan and tyreek having a bad week. 
My FBG team this year is hands down the WORST fantasy team I've ever drafted. Not even Lindsay could save me from drafting L. Bell and D. Freeman. 

I was highly skeptical because of his size, especially the 180 lb deal.  I was wrong, big time.  Own him in 0 leagues.  [slump]

So what happens with Freeman when the off season comes around? I have no investment in either back, just genuinely curious how people see this shaking out. 

Went from undrafted free agent to putting up consistently elite numbers.

Without question SOtD. I honestly cannot think of another contender who even comes close. Out of nowhere to become Top 10 RB in PPR? No one else IMO is even close for SOtD.

Happy for this kid, great story, and love seeing players break the mold and succeed.

Went from undrafted free agent to putting up consistently elite numbers.

Without question SOtD. I honestly cannot think of another contender who even comes close. Out of nowhere to become Top 10 RB in PPR? No one else IMO is even close for SOtD.

Happy for this kid, great story, and love seeing players break the mold and succeed.
Can you be the “steal of the draft” if you aren’t actually, you know, drafted in 90% of leagues?

Phillip Lindsay rushed 14 times for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 14 loss to the 49ers, adding four receptions for 21 additional yards.

It was by far Lindsay's worst performance of the season, though he saved a little face in fantasy by scoring his sixth touchdown in the past four weeks. Lindsay was stuffed on a pair of critical second half fourth downs, but he also converted one. The Broncos could not get any push on the ground, and the 49ers' defense was free to bear down after building a 20-0 lead. Lindsay should bounce back as a high-end RB2 in Week 15 against the Browns.

Dec 9 - 8:00 PM

Looking for a solid rebound to greatness against CLE, who have been fairly generous to opposing RBs, but are coming off a game where they limited CMC and Cam on the ground.

Needed him too.

Unfortunately Taz and the DEN run offense is having a pretty big goose egg kind of a game. 10 yards, negative reception yards, barely 2 points.

Ugh.

Denver is a dumpster fire.  He def should be in the running for rookie of the year considering he wasn't drafted.  Saquon will win it, but it's debatable.

Users who are viewing this thread