What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Second Home/Vacation Home Thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Even though we still have a pretty hefty mortgage on our first home, we think we could carry a second home mortgage under the usual guidelines you see on the web.  We’ve always wanted a beach home out in the hamptons—we’re beach people, and always loved the idea of a home on or a block from the beach, and the location would be an easy 45min drive from our house—and we’re thinking in the next year or two we’ll be in a position to have the down payment to pull it off.  

Curious to hear from folks who have or are looking at second homes.  Do you carry two mortgages?  Concern you?  Do you rent out part of or the entire year?  If so, what are the pros/cons?  Is it a major time sink/pain in the rear to care for it and deal with renters?  Do you use a management company if it’s far from your primary home?

Ideally at least in early years we would probably rent out through VRBO, weekly rentals, for most of peak beach season on Long Island (Memorial Day through Labor Day).  That would pay off a nice chunk of the annual mortgage (maybe a quarter after paying taxes on that income, just ballpark). We’d reserve a couple of weeks in August for ourselves, and then would probably go out a bunch in the Spring and Fall.  Over the years as the mortgages are paid down, we might eventually rent less of the summer, perhaps eventually not rent at all.  Might even consider retiring out there once the kids are out of high school and we no longer need to pay the exorbitant school taxes in our town.

Terrible idea?  Bad investment?  Huge PIA? Thoughts welcomed.  Curious to hear from others who have done this.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is far from the Hamptons, I have a two bedroom, two bath beach condo in ocean city maryland. We are here right now and my wife and I were just talking about how great it is to have it. We are lucky that we dont feel the sting of the second mortgage. 

We do not rent it out, however, 3-4 weeks do wind up getting rented by people we know who are looking for a place. We have chosen to not list it with a rental agency or site. We dont need the money and people dont really take care of the place. 

I have even had someone from fbgs stay here for a weekend. 

Couldn't be happier that we went for it. 

While it is far from the Hamptons, I have a two bedroom, two bath beach condo in ocean city maryland. We are here right now and my wife and I were just talking about how great it is to have it. We are lucky that we dont feel the sting of the second mortgage. 

We do not rent it out, however, 3-4 weeks do wind up getting rented by people we know who are looking for a place. We have chosen to not list it with a rental agency or site. We dont need the money and people dont really take care of the place. 

I have even had someone from fbgs stay here for a weekend. 

Couldn't be happier that we went for it. 
Sweet.  Seems an easy call especially if you don’t need to take out a mortgage.  

2nd place in Deleware on the bay we bought last summer, get there in about 2 hours and we live close to the bay bridge so we can avoid the big jams.  Went with something we could rent out (great location/view/size for about 8 comfortably) but didn’t have to $ wise. This was key bc after about two visits and moving extra furniture in/replacing some stuff (bought it furnished), Mrs. BD decided she didn’t want strangers sleeping in the new bed. So now we head down as much as we can and send family there whenever they want. Maybe will rent when the kids activities pummel our weekends more. 

Users who are viewing this thread