Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

Your Local Area - Republican, Democratic, Middle?

As we head toward the mid term elections, for your local area of where you live and or work, what's the general feel for leaning Republican, Democratic or in the middle?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

As we head toward the mid term elections, for your local area of where you live and or work, what's the general feel for leaning Republican, Democratic or in the middle?

Not necessarily for or against Trump. But which party they seem to be leaning towards as we head towards November. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in a conservative, republican area in an otherwise solid democratic but not really liberal county/state.  As of a few months ago I moved to an area which seems very conservative in a conservative county and a conservative but seemingly shifting blue state.

When you talk about talking and being friendly with those with opposite view points that has been my default for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in FL so Big Sugar is running unopposed IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vermont is losing its political identity to insidious waves of immigration. No Hondurans, Somalis, Filipinos. Not even that many Canucks, who don't appear to have the taste for rust-eaten frontyard decommissioned motor vehicles that we do. Leafpeeps, Gaymarriers, Microbrewers - those are our scourges. My younger cousins all got rich anticipating the farm-flipping market and chuckle down most every country road at the flatlanders losing their shirts making "artisan" guanciale, Emmental or mead.

Though I'm about as conservative as a Key West parade, I'm beginning to miss and respect the North Country MYOB ethic. It was never harsh, murderous even, like that of the frontier states. It was actually a mindset of trust and care. You don't ask my business and i wont ask u'rn and that way we'll know that when you're in trouble, you're really in trouble and we'll hay your field, bring provisions, sugar your batch. There's a lot of arguing about what conservatism is these days and i don't know a single FBG who actually is one cuz THAT is what conservatism is to me, one a good deal more Christian than those who label themselves so, even if a farmer dont have time for church.

What troubles true Vermonters most these days is what troubles me most - the rest of the country's appetite for letting everybody in on their business. We simply don't need to know and that you can count on.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conservative State...But Nashville means a bit more left.

Hopefully the state stays away from Diane Black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Conservative State...But Nashville means a bit more left.

Hopefully the state stays away from Diane Black.

Is Marshburn really going to win and do so handily? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just north of Seattle. It's pretty much like an episode of Portlandia up here but with more kale and compostable straws.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in perhaps the most red area in the country.  Easily in top 10.  It's shocking if you're a conservative who doesn't like Trump.  Liberals and progressives are mostly closeted.  Finding someone in the area with a similar view is a big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how you'd define my area based on your poll.  I live in the suburbs of Philly.  In the 2016 elections the area went for Hillary but the HofR seat went to a Republican (Ryan Costello).  He has announced he isn't running for re-election.  Depending on who you listen to, it could be because he was going to lose to a new Dem (was supposed to be Chrissy Houlahan), or because he was a RINO and was going to get primaried, or because he couldn't stand with the current face of the Repub party (Trump).  Then they did the redistricting and the person he was going to run against wouldn't be his opponent anymore but he is still out and the new Democratic nominee from the primary is considered the favorite..  Which of your poll options fits that best - the middle or Dem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Lake county Florida a lot of old folks and country folks.  Solidly Republican.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Is Marshburn really going to win and do so handily? 

Another one I can’t stand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Florida a lot of old folks and country folks.  Solidly Republican.

Very Republican in my part of FL as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orange County California. The birthplace of Richard Nixon. John Wayne country. Solid red. 

Though we don’t decide state politics anymore, we still heavily influence the GOP through donations. There is not a single National Republican figure you can name who doesn’t fundraise here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adonis said:

I live in perhaps the most red area in the country.  Easily in top 10.  It's shocking if you're a conservative who doesn't like Trump.  Liberals and progressives are mostly closeted.  Finding someone in the area with a similar view is a big deal.

Interesting. Where is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my area of East Tennessee, it seems more Republican than ever. Which is why I asked the question.

I was surprised to see three separate campaign advertisements all linking themselves solidly to President Trump. They felt the area was such that a message or "I'm going to help President Trump complete his agenda" was their primary selling point. 

I have seen that on television ads visiting Houston Texas as well. Seems interesting to me. 

It's also a good example of how non representative this board is of the country as a whole. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

In my area of East Tennessee, it seems more Republican than ever. Which is why I asked the question.

I was surprised to see three separate campaign advertisements all linking themselves solidly to President Trump. They felt the area was such that a message or "I'm going to help President Trump complete his agenda" was their primary selling point. 

I have seen that on television ads visiting Houston Texas as well. Seems interesting to me. 

It's also a good example of how non representative this board is of the country as a whole. 

My guess here is that the ads were for candidates for statewide office or for suburban or exurban districts, not for candidates from Houston.  We get ads from politicians linking themselves to Trump even in DC and that's obviously not a winning strategy in the city itself.

Anyway, I think one main difference between this board and the country (other than the demographic ones) is that many of the people who post in the politics thread have been observing politics intensely for many years.  I don't know anyone like that who is even lukewarm towards Trump, and that includes many lifelong Republicans. I hesitate to use this analogy, but I think of Trumpism as cult-like in a lot of ways, and you don't see a lot of people who study theology ending up in cults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I live in Kansas. We're going to elect Kris Kobach Governor in November. Wheeeeeeeee! 

I live in Kansas as well, and although you are correct, there is a chance a couple House seats may flip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TobiasFunke said:

My guess here is that the ads were for candidates for statewide office or for suburban or exurban districts, not for candidates from Houston.  We get ads from politicians linking themselves to Trump even in DC and that's obviously not a winning strategy in the city itself.

Anyway, I think one main difference between this board and the country (other than the demographic ones) is that many of the people who post in the politics thread have been observing politics intensely for many years.  I don't know anyone like that who is even lukewarm towards Trump, and that includes many lifelong Republicans. I hesitate to use this analogy, but I think of Trumpism as cult-like in a lot of ways, and you don't see a lot of people who study theology ending up in cults.

Thanks. The ads I'm seeing in Tennessee I recall was one for US House and one for State House. I can't remember the one I saw in Texas.

I have a different experience than you on the long time political people. I know quite a few who are long time intense observers that are pro Trump. I don't really understand it. But they're there.

And I think that's been one of the things I've seen in what feels like the Democrats get wrong. It appears they feel like anyone pro Trump is a hood wearing Nazi. When the reality is I know a ton of non crazy regular people who voted for Trump. They're all the people that voted for Bush and McCain. I don't get it. But I know they're far from what most people would call radicals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think an interesting follow up question would be if someone moved from their state/county/etc. MOSTLY due to the political party/leaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would probably take me (at least) all day to find one person in my Brooklyn neighborhood willing to admit they support Trump. I might be able to find a few who'd admit to being registered Republicans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. The ads I'm seeing in Tennessee I recall was one for US House and one for State House. I can't remember the one I saw in Texas.

I have a different experience than you on the long time political people. I know quite a few who are long time intense observers that are pro Trump. I don't really understand it. But they're there.

And I think that's been one of the things I've seen in what feels like the Democrats get wrong. It appears they feel like anyone pro Trump is a hood wearing Nazi. When the reality is I know a ton of non crazy regular people who voted for Trump. They're all the people that voted for Bush and McCain. I don't get it. But I know they're far from what most people would call radicals. 

I should have clarified that the sort of "intense observers" I was talking about didn't include intense partisan types who watch a lot of Fox News or MSNBC, but I couldn't really come up with a good way to do it.  And if I had tried it definitely would have sounded super pretentious ;)

I think most people know that there are a ton of "establishment" Republicans who voted for him and support him that do so despite his racism, misogyny and xenophobia rather than because of those things. They do a reasonable cost/benefit and the benefits win. That's why I always say Trump supporters have condoned those things, or that they don't place as much value on them as I think they should, rather than saying they support them or are racist/xenophobes themselves. I don't think the latter is fair or accurate.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you get the idea Dems are getting something "wrong" here. In fact I think their message may be getting obscured and colored by where you live and the people you know. Take for example the famous Clinton "deplorables" bit, which is easily the most famous example of the Dems "feeling like anyone pro Trump is a hood wearing Nazi."  Here's what she said about Trump supporters right after it:

Quote

Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America. But the other basket — and I know this because I see friends from all over America here — I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroine, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

She did exactly why people say she/the Dems failed to do and what you seem to be saying they fail to acknowledge. But that message didn't get through, because people heard what they wanted to hear.  Same is true of lots of other Dem messaging.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While most of Queens, and obviously most of NYC, generally vote Democrat, I live in a one of the few neighborhoods that lean right and went Trump in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I think an interesting follow up question would be if someone moved from their state/county/etc. MOSTLY due to the political party/leaders.

For me no way. They can whore my State out but they can't take my family, home, friends etc. (YET)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

I should have clarified that the sort of "intense observers" I was talking about didn't include intense partisan types who watch a lot of Fox News or MSNBC, but I couldn't really come up with a good way to do it.  And if I had tried it definitely would have sounded super pretentious ;)

I think most people know that there are a ton of "establishment" Republicans who voted for him and support him that do so despite his racism, misogyny and xenophobia rather than because of those things. They do a reasonable cost/benefit and the benefits win. That's why I always say Trump supporters have condoned those things, or that they don't place as much value on them as I think they should, rather than saying they support them or are racist/xenophobes themselves. I don't think the latter is fair or accurate.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you get the idea Dems are getting something "wrong" here. In fact I think their message may be getting obscured and colored by where you live and the people you know. Take for example the famous Clinton "deplorables" bit, which is easily the most famous example of the Dems "feeling like anyone pro Trump is a hood wearing Nazi."  Here's what she said about Trump supporters right after it:

She did exactly why people say she/the Dems failed to do and what you seem to be saying they fail to acknowledge. But that message didn't get through, because people heard what they wanted to hear.  Same is true of lots of other Dem messaging.

I get a lot of the "Democrats think Trump Supporters Are Fringe People" just talking to every day folks. And also from here. But I'm also hyper conscious this forum is not a normal representation of the population. 

It's also quite possible I'm just getting anecdotal evidence from a super small sample. But it seems to me Trump Supporters are a lot more mainstream than it feels many Democrats think.

Interestingly, I saw something similar on the issue of kneeling for the National Anthem. I had a lot of friends who it seemed felt anyone not in favor of the players kneeling was a fringe outlier radical. When in reality, I knew a ton of people personally who are regular mainstream people who had a problem with the kneeling. And I had a lot of friends who had a problem with the kneeling that wanted to paint the pro kneeling side as fringe or crazy. When the reality is I knew a ton of folks in favor of the kneeling that were regular mainstream people. 

Just an observation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To follow up on how I've been surprised at the Pro Trump political advertising, I saw a television ad tonight from one of Tennessee Governor Candidate's Randy Boyd's opponents. It was a completely negative ad bringing up the bad things Boyd would do. The first thing mentioned was pulling up a quote with a newspaper headline that "Boyd Disavows Trump". The next point was Boyd raised taxes.

So for this person running the ad, not supporting Trump was in the same ballpark as raising taxes. Wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I live in Kansas. We're going to elect Kris Kobach Governor in November. Wheeeeeeeee! 

Kansas: well, at least our next governor won’t be as bad as Brownback...

Kansas: hold my beer..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

To follow up on how I've been surprised at the Pro Trump political advertising, I saw a television ad tonight from one of Tennessee Governor Candidate's Randy Boyd's opponents. It was a completely negative ad bringing up the bad things Boyd would do. The first thing mentioned was pulling up a quote with a newspaper headline that "Boyd Disavows Trump". The next point was Boyd raised taxes.

So for this person running the ad, not supporting Trump was in the same ballpark as raising taxes. Wow. 

Not sure what choice they have at this point but to run further to the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joffer said:

Not sure what choice they have at this point but to run further to the right.

I suppose that's their thinking. But it seems like an odd choice to me. But then lots of things seem odd to me now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tuffnutt said:

I live in Kansas as well, and although you are correct, there is a chance a couple House seats may flip.

I live in Kansas 03, a purple district that once turned down Kobach for Congress.  The wealth in the area is offset by the diversity - there are a lot of first- and second-generation immigrants here, drawn to the area to work for companies like Sprint, Garmin, and Cerner.  There’s also a small tech corridor propping up (the “Silicon Prairie”), startups leveraging the low cost of living to underbid firms in San Jose or New York but netting larger profits because overhead is so low here.  

There isn’t a lot of love for Trump here (he only got like 15% in the primary caucuses; Cruz won the state easily) and Trump’s immigration policies and trade wars aren’t playing well here.  

I think there’s enough enthusiasm to flip the House seat from blue to red - the incumbent is an unremarkable slice of white bread who took a lot of money from the NRA and payday loan industry.  But November is a long way away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest surprise I’ve seen with friends that are Trump supporters is not that i now think they are racist, but that they are willing to overlook so much about his behavior (which includes racism) if they think it will benefit them financially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in a mixed bag.  Lexington itself is pretty liberal - college town.  We have had a popular two-term openly gay mayor.  But, the congressional district I am in also includes large rural areas that are decidedly conservative.  I have been here for 12 years now, and we have had both a democratic representative (2006-2012) and a GOP representative (2012-present).   And Kentucky as a whole, is reliably conservative - though it was not until recently that the GOP controlled the state house.

 

I have not seen any polling on the congressional race - but there was an upset on the democratic side - Amy McGrath, former marine fighter pilot, beat the aforementioned popular mayor in the primary.  I'd say she has a pretty good chance of riding a blue wave in the fall, and unseating Andy Barr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am in a mixed bag.  Lexington itself is pretty liberal - college town.  We have had a popular two-term openly gay mayor.  But, the congressional district I am in also includes large rural areas that are decidedly conservative.  I have been here for 12 years now, and we have had both a democratic representative (2006-2012) and a GOP representative (2012-present).   And Kentucky as a whole, is reliably conservative - though it was not until recently that the GOP controlled the state house.

 

I have not seen any polling on the congressional race - but there was an upset on the democratic side - Amy McGrath, former marine fighter pilot, beat the aforementioned popular mayor in the primary.  I'd say she has a pretty good chance of riding a blue wave in the fall, and unseating Andy Barr.

Sorry for the sidetrack - Didn't know you lived in Lexington. My Aunt's lived there for years. I like Lexington a lot - it reminds me some of Knoxville. Medium sized town with a University. Do you have good brewery or craft beer spots? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in PA suburbs of Philadelphia so very liberal state but my county or at least township is slightly more republican. My work seems more Conservative then Liberal or at least those who voice their opinions for the most part. I work in Retail so it seems to be more conservative with the older "veteran" workers where the younger they seem to be the more liberal. My Store Director voted Trump. However I think my Township is more towards the middle however the most vocal are the Conservatives and some of them are some of the most hateful people I ever seen or heard. I have people I'm no longer friends with and mostly thats more of them not wanting to be friends with me then me them. I'm perfectly fine with that though. I've had a few classmates join the military who were Liberal in HS but after joining the military became pretty conservative and brainwashed into the Alex Jones type mold. 

District wise our District rep is Democrat. Our Governor is Liberal Tom Wolf and is making State worker minimum wage $12 now with $15 in the coming yrs and also wants to legalize cannibas medically and overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

To follow up on how I've been surprised at the Pro Trump political advertising, I saw a television ad tonight from one of Tennessee Governor Candidate's Randy Boyd's opponents. It was a completely negative ad bringing up the bad things Boyd would do. The first thing mentioned was pulling up a quote with a newspaper headline that "Boyd Disavows Trump". The next point was Boyd raised taxes.

So for this person running the ad, not supporting Trump was in the same ballpark as raising taxes. Wow. 

And Black is wrapping herself up in all things Trump as is Lee claiming he is an outsider like Trump.

Hoping Dean gains momentum as I felt he did a good job as mayor here and Black is a vile woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Sorry for the sidetrack - Didn't know you lived in Lexington. My Aunt's lived there for years. I like Lexington a lot - it reminds me some of Knoxville. Medium sized town with a University. Do you have good brewery or craft beer spots? 

West 6th Street is probably the best of the bunch - we live on the south side of town, but have friends within walking distance of West 6th St - so we have been there a few times.  There are a handful of others, but I haven't been to say if they are worth the trip.  Otherwise, we have an Old Chicagos pizza place that always has a great selection of craft beers.  Best deal is a flight for $10, where you can get four 4-oz samples of whatever they have on tap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live in Wildwood MO, about 40 min west of STL.......I assume it leans right....only have been living here for less than a year.

It will be very interesting to see if the MO GOP screws it up again and McCaskill lucks again into 6 more years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

West 6th Street is probably the best of the bunch - we live on the south side of town, but have friends within walking distance of West 6th St - so we have been there a few times.  There are a handful of others, but I haven't been to say if they are worth the trip.  Otherwise, we have an Old Chicagos pizza place that always has a great selection of craft beers.  Best deal is a flight for $10, where you can get four 4-oz samples of whatever they have on tap.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue state (best state ever!). City with Red Mayors. Live on the divide between the urban sprawl and the rural hills and farmland. My area elects both Dems and Repubs as state and national representatives.

I live in the wealthiest area and around a ton of rich conservative types (almost exclusively) who are long on mantras and talking points and short on information. They are all very informed about their own taxes, however. Most all of my good friends in this area are conservative, and they repeatedly tell me that I'm "not really liberal" :mellow:, even though I profess it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Blue state (best state ever!). City with Red Mayors. Live on the divide between the urban sprawl and the rural hills and farmland. My area elects both Dems and Repubs as state and national representatives.

I live in the wealthiest area and around a ton of rich conservative types (almost exclusively) who are long on mantras and talking points and short on information. They are all very informed about their own taxes, however. Most all of my good friends in this area are conservative, and they repeatedly tell me that I'm "not really liberal" :mellow:, even though I profess it.

Thanks. California?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live in rural Minnesota and one of the redest counties in the state. While only 9 counties of the states 87 total went to Clinton these most populous counties were enough to give the state to Clinton. Oddly the US Representative from our very rural area is a longtime Democrat in Colin Peterson but only because he is Prolife and gets a good grade from the NRA. Over 1/2 of the states entire population live in the 7 county metro area

Edited by lazyike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in a welfare state.....lead by Democrats for 88 of the past 92 years yet most of the Democrats live in only three places within our borders.  It's all red except for the blue line that runs right down the middle.

Thank god for Mississippi or we'd be ranked #50 in every poll in which no state wants to be ranked #50.

Edited by Opie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Live in rural Minnesota and one of the redest counties in the state. While only 9 counties of the states 87 total went to Clinton these most populous counties were enough to give the state to Clinton. Oddly the US Representative from our very rural area is a longtime Democrat in Colin Peterson but only because he is Prolife and gets a good grade from the NRA. Over 1/2 of the states entire population live in the 7 county metro area

Minnesota is like a mini California this way.  Lots of red rural area but the Twin Cities metro and some of the other cities are pretty liberal, which carries the state in national elections.

I live in SE MN (Rochester, home of the Mayo clinic, my employer) and all the rural and small towns are decidedly red, while Rochester is pretty left leaning.  Lots of educated, diversified people here due to Mayo.  Mayor is independent but pretty liberal politically and my US and state reps are Democrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 10000000000% behind Republican Larry Hogan for Maryland governor, 

If I could sum up my political lean Hogan is my man. He’s anti-trump, pro infrastructure, he eliminated puppy mills in Maryland, and he’s passed pro-Veteran legislation. 

He’s essentially a left-leaning Republican, in a dark blue state, and he’s my cup of tea. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.