Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Bryant

Your Local Area - Republican, Democratic, Middle?

As we head toward the mid term elections, for your local area of where you live and or work, what's the general feel for leaning Republican, Democratic or in the middle?   85 members have voted

1. 1. As we head toward the mid term elections, for your local area of where you live and or work, what's the general feel for leaning Republican, Democratic or in the middle?

• Solidly Republican
    • Slightly Republican
    • Evenly split
    • Slightly Democratic
    • Solidly Democratic

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

70 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

West 6th Street is probably the best of the bunch - we live on the south side of town, but have friends within walking distance of West 6th St - so we have been there a few times.  There are a handful of others, but I haven't been to say if they are worth the trip.  Otherwise, we have an Old Chicagos pizza place that always has a great selection of craft beers.  Best deal is a flight for $10, where you can get four 4-oz samples of whatever they have on tap.

Thanks.

Blue state (best state ever!). City with Red Mayors. Live on the divide between the urban sprawl and the rural hills and farmland. My area elects both Dems and Repubs as state and national representatives.

I live in the wealthiest area and around a ton of rich conservative types (almost exclusively) who are long on mantras and talking points and short on information. They are all very informed about their own taxes, however. Most all of my good friends in this area are conservative, and they repeatedly tell me that I'm "not really liberal" :mellow:, even though I profess it.

11 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Blue state (best state ever!). City with Red Mayors. Live on the divide between the urban sprawl and the rural hills and farmland. My area elects both Dems and Repubs as state and national representatives.

I live in the wealthiest area and around a ton of rich conservative types (almost exclusively) who are long on mantras and talking points and short on information. They are all very informed about their own taxes, however. Most all of my good friends in this area are conservative, and they repeatedly tell me that I'm "not really liberal" :mellow:, even though I profess it.

Thanks. California?

Live in rural Minnesota and one of the redest counties in the state. While only 9 counties of the states 87 total went to Clinton these most populous counties were enough to give the state to Clinton. Oddly the US Representative from our very rural area is a longtime Democrat in Colin Peterson but only because he is Prolife and gets a good grade from the NRA. Over 1/2 of the states entire population live in the 7 county metro area

Edited by lazyike

I live in a welfare state.....lead by Democrats for 88 of the past 92 years yet most of the Democrats live in only three places within our borders.  It's all red except for the blue line that runs right down the middle.

Thank god for Mississippi or we'd be ranked #50 in every poll in which no state wants to be ranked #50.

Edited by Opie

52 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Live in rural Minnesota and one of the redest counties in the state. While only 9 counties of the states 87 total went to Clinton these most populous counties were enough to give the state to Clinton. Oddly the US Representative from our very rural area is a longtime Democrat in Colin Peterson but only because he is Prolife and gets a good grade from the NRA. Over 1/2 of the states entire population live in the 7 county metro area

Minnesota is like a mini California this way.  Lots of red rural area but the Twin Cities metro and some of the other cities are pretty liberal, which carries the state in national elections.

I live in SE MN (Rochester, home of the Mayo clinic, my employer) and all the rural and small towns are decidedly red, while Rochester is pretty left leaning.  Lots of educated, diversified people here due to Mayo.  Mayor is independent but pretty liberal politically and my US and state reps are Democrats.

I’m 10000000000% behind Republican Larry Hogan for Maryland governor, 

If I could sum up my political lean Hogan is my man. He’s anti-trump, pro infrastructure, he eliminated puppy mills in Maryland, and he’s passed pro-Veteran legislation. 

He’s essentially a left-leaning Republican, in a dark blue state, and he’s my cup of tea. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, T-shirt Ninja said:

1 family + 1 family = 19 kids?

Close. Our neighbors have 9 kids. But we are not doing Our part with only 2.

19 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

My office is in the district that elected David Duke. 

If Duke was the GOP candidate for President in my county he would get more votes than the Democrat.

Nebraska is overwhelmingly conservative, however of the few large metropolitan areas they are split and in some cases liberal.  The town I live in is becoming more liberal leaning due in part to shifting demographics - lower average income, higher incidence of free/reduced lunch (which is indicative of the lower average income), falling real estate values and a majority of commercial property under TIF.  This place would be foolish to vote Republican in the current state of affairs.

4 hours ago, Opie said:

I live in a welfare state.....lead by Democrats for 88 of the past 92 years yet most of the Democrats live in only three places within our borders.  It's all red except for the blue line that runs right down the middle.

Thank god for Mississippi or we'd be ranked #50 in every poll in which no state wants to be ranked #50.

New Mexico?

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Orange County California. The birthplace of Richard Nixon. John Wayne country. Solid red. 

Though we don’t decide state politics anymore, we still heavily influence the GOP through donations. There is not a single National Republican figure you can name who doesn’t fundraise here. 

I also live here (as you know) and it may be wishful thinking but I think Orange County is turning purple. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know but Orange County voted for Hillary and now has more registered Democrats than Republicans (for the first time since 1936). CA 39, 45, 48 and 49 were all once considered solidly red but are now home to some of the most highly contested races in the country. You are absolutely correct about the amount of wealth here, though. 

15 hours ago, eoMMan said:

I think an interesting follow up question would be if someone moved from their state/county/etc. MOSTLY due to the political party/leaders.

I went opposite direction, having moved from Boston to Charleston (area), South Carolina several years ago.  I’m generally a Jack Kemp fiscal conservative with an otherwise “liberal” streak.  What I absolutely can’t stand are ignorant people and racists.  So, although I absolutely love the area and lifestyle here, politically, It’s been a very difficult transition.  My particular town of Mount Pleasant is more purple than it is red.  But, people down here say the damndest things about gay and black folks.  It’s truly mind-blowing.

Edited by cobalt_27
1 person likes this

Rust Belt city with typical Blue/Red urban/rural divide. The major employer is the local university/hospital. Not a particularly religious area. Diversity probably slightly less than that of country as a whole.

In the suburbs, the town and state level elections tend (rather heavily) towards Republican candidates while the county as a whole went heavily for Obama/Clinton and our Dem Senators in 2012/2016.

8 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

He’s essentially a left-leaning Republican, in a dark blue state, and he’s my cup of tea. 

I keep thinking it'll be a left leaning Republican or a right leaning Democrat that rises to the top but it seems that's not a popular take. :shrug:

1 hour ago, cobalt_27 said:

I went opposite direction, having moved from Boston to Charleston (area), South Carolina several years ago.  I’m generally a Jack Kemp fiscal conservative with an otherwise “liberal” streak.  What I absolutely can’t stand are ignorant people and racists.  So, although I absolutely love the area and lifestyle here, politically, It’s been a very difficult transition.  My particular town of Mount Pleasant is more purple than it is red.  But, people down here say the damndest things about gay and black folks.  It’s truly mind-blowing.

Yeah, in my part of FL, it's not uncommon to see pick-up trucks with confederate flags on them along with decals of different gun makers.

Southwestern PA - I said leans "slightly republican".  I live in Allegheny county which is heavily democrat but all of the neighboring counties are heavily republican.    

I live in in the suburbs south of St Paul. Historically a Republican area, but the freshman Republican congressman (Jason Lewis) won last time by just a few thousand votes - including mine. 

This November I am voting for his Democratic opponent Angie Craig. And I am stealthily suppressing my wife’s vote this year as well as she leans Republican and I’m pretty sure she would vote for Lewis. I will downplay the importance of the election, and plan on a “hey let’s go out tonight” on election night. So that’s essentially 2 votes against Lewis in November. 

56 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Southwestern PA - I said leans "slightly republican".  I live in Allegheny county which is heavily democrat but all of the neighboring counties are heavily republican.    

Thanks. In my limited understanding, Ive always thought of Pennsylvania as Democrat. Maybe it's Joe Biden or Unions. Not sure. How does the state break down for demographics and Republicans and Democrats?

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. I've always thought of Pennsylvania as Democrat. Maybe it's Joe Biden or Unions. Not sure. How does the state break down for demographics and Republicans and Democrats?

PA has been historically a blue state but the blue comes mainly from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.   

There is an old saying in PA that the state is "Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west and Alabama in between".

Edited by Godsbrother

1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

Yeah, in my part of FL, it's not uncommon to see pick-up trucks with confederate flags on them along with decals of different gun makers.

Same in Lake county.  Believe it or not some of those folks are not racist.  Maybe a little socially inept though.

22 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Same in Lake county.  Believe it or not some of those folks are not racist.  Maybe a little socially inept though.

Same in suburban Tampa.  

On 7/11/2018 at 8:58 AM, Jobber said:

I live in in the suburbs south of St Paul. Historically a Republican area, but the freshman Republican congressman (Jason Lewis) won last time by just a few thousand votes - including mine. 

This November I am voting for his Democratic opponent Angie Craig. And I am stealthily suppressing my wife’s vote this year as well as she leans Republican and I’m pretty sure she would vote for Lewis. I will downplay the importance of the election, and plan on a “hey let’s go out tonight” on election night. So that’s essentially 2 votes against Lewis in November. 

Jason Lewis as in local political radio talk show host Jason Lewis?

On 7/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, D_House said:

Rust Belt city with typical Blue/Red urban/rural divide. 

In the suburbs, the town and state level elections tend (rather heavily) towards Republican candidates while the county as a whole went heavily for Obama/Clinton and our Dem Senators in 2012/2016.

This could pretty much describe where I live as well, though the county as a whole did not heavily favor Clinton in 2016.  Clinton won 50%-45% in the county, compared to Obama's 57%-40% over Romney and 58%-40% over McCain.

My House district, which includes effectively the entire city itself, is Dem +11 (per Cook PVI).  The surrounding suburbs and rural areas have a Rep +11 (per Cook PVI) district which basically encircles the city.

1 hour ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Jason Lewis as in local political radio talk show host Jason Lewis?

Yep, that Jason Lewis. The one I loved to listen to for years who is now a GOP rubber-stamper.

1 person likes this

The town that I life in leans to the left because of the university. But the surrounding area is pretty conservative.