Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timschochet

NATO

259 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

What are we negotiating?

Trump's ability to act like a combative Richard apparently.

54 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Lately that’s true. 

But I was cheered up this morning when the Senate repudiated Trump on this issue by a vote of 97-2. 

Maybe its in your best interest to step away from this stuff awhile, you take it way too seriously

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

You responded to my citation needed when I asked about Trump negotiating for Russian interest. You know this right?

Maybe I’m missing your logic. Are you arguing that someone who thinks the KGB, FSB and Putin are fine, fresh off criticizing NATO, will be negotiating for American interests? How so? His ideology is antithetical to American interests.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

What are we negotiating?

Life, man.

Just now, pantherclub said:

Maybe its in your best interest to step away from this stuff awhile, you take it way too seriously

I take NATO pretty seriously. I take our national security and position as leader of the free world pretty seriously, particularly as friends and family members have given their lives for this. 

But thank you for your concern. 

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Maybe I’m missing your logic. Are you arguing that someone who thinks the KGB, FSB and Putin are fine, fresh off criticizing NATO, will be negotiating in American interests? How do? His ideology is antithetical to American interests.

You sure are stretching here to make a connection. 

Just now, Weebs210 said:

You sure are stretching here to make a connection. 

No, I think I asked you to make the connection. You can’t think the KGB & FSB are five and believe in American principles, it’s logically impossible.

1 person likes this

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

No, I think I asked you to make the connection. You can’t think the KGB & FSB are five and believe in American principles, it’s logically impossible.

I'm not seeing the connection. Maybe you could enlighten me.

16 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

The agreement put forth was that everyone needs to get there by 2024.

As mentioned yday 13 NATO countries sees that as a guideline. An aim. And this NATO meeting was about tryin go acknowledge that stance while nudging the spend higher. 

Do you want to venture a guess on whether Trump assisted in acheiving that goal for this meeting? 

Trump's comments at the breakfast this morning were cringeworthy and an embarrassment for the United States.   

3 people like this

1 minute ago, zoonation said:

Trump's comments at the breakfast this morning were cringeworthy and an embarrassment for the United States.   

so Wednesday?

3 people like this

of course they were, but LOOK AT ALL THE LIBS GOING CRAZY!!!  Hilarious!   MAGA!!!!!!

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, msommer said:

As mentioned yday 13 NATO countries sees that as a guideline. An aim. And this NATO meeting was about tryin go acknowledge that stance while nudging the spend higher. 

Do you want to venture a guess on whether Trump assisted in acheiving that goal for this meeting? 

Without US support Russia could walk right into any neighboring country without much problem.  I’m not a fan of Trump’s tactics, but being left to Russia’s military whims would make me rethink self preservation.  Domestic investment doesn’t mean much if you lose your country.

3 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Without US support Russia could walk right into any neighboring country without much problem.  I’m not a fan of Trump’s tactics, but being left to Russia’s military whims would make me rethink self preservation.  Domestic investment doesn’t mean much if you lose your country.

So, who's actually threatened to cut off US support?

And do comment on my post up thread re practical standpoint of a NATO member government

Just now, msommer said:

So, who's actually threatened to cut off US support?

And do comment on my post up thread re practical standpoint of a NATO member government

Trump has certainly alluded to it.

Trump has certainly alluded to it.

So, again he creates the problem, stirs up a lot of bruhaha and the only winner is Putin.

Good job negotiating!

1 person likes this

If Trump thinks that his bullying approach will work on European leaders he is sorely mistaken.  The electorate in those countries won't stand for capitulation to a bully's demands.  That kind of crap only plays in flyover America.

2 people like this

Just now, msommer said:

So, again he creates the problem, stirs up a lot of bruhaha and the only winner is Putin.

Good job negotiating!

He’s a terrible negotiator from what I can tell.  Way too short-sighted and simplistic in his views.

If his primary goal it to get these nations to ramp up defense spending though his tactics make sense.  Without US support the Baltic and Scandinavian countries are sitting ducks.

2 minutes ago, jonessed said:

He’s a terrible negotiator from what I can tell.  Way too short-sighted and simplistic in his views.

If his primary goal it to get these nations to ramp up defense spending though his tactics make sense.  Without US support the Baltic and Scandinavian countries are sitting ducks.

The only thing he said right today was that Nordstream 2 was a bad idea

It is all smoke, though.  The West (and the US) would not let Russia invade the Baltic states regardless of whether NATO member states were meeting their targets for defence spending.  And, everyone knows it.

18 minutes ago, jonessed said:

That’s BS...Russia spends 66 billion a year.  Germany spend 44, the UK 47, France 58, etc.  To think Europe would be left to Russia’s whims is the height of US-centric Trump think.

It is all smoke, though.  The West (and the US) would not let Russia invade the Baltic states regardless of whether NATO member states were meeting their targets for defence spending.  And, everyone knows it.

With a sane US president that is how it would work.

2 people like this

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

What good is NATO if Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars for gas and energy? Why are their only 5 out of 29 countries that have met their commitment? The U.S. is paying for Europe’s protection, then loses billions on Trade. Must pay 2% of GDP IMMEDIATELY, not by 2025.

---

Once again, he misstates both the US's costs for their own military and what happens in trade.

3 people like this

So...we're going to exit NATO aren't we?

16 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Really? Do we know that? Do we really think Donald Trump would stop Russia from invading the Baltics?

3 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

So...we're going to exit NATO aren't we?

Can the President unilaterally exit NATO?

Just now, whoknew said:

Nah, Congress would have to approve and we all know how principled those guys are!

4 people like this

1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

What are we negotiating?

Huevos?

4 minutes ago, msommer said:

Nah, Congress would have to approve and we all know how principled those guys are!

Can Trump do what they're doing with the ACA and force it to fall apart without Congress?

7 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I’m sure he thinks he can, whether it’s true or not. Punch the allies and spoon the foes seems to be his motto. 

Just now, Bucky86 said:

Can Trump do what they're doing with the ACA and force it to fall apart without Congress?

He's the technically the commander in Chief so I suppose he could order all the troops and missiles and what have you home. Not sure what the Joint Chiefs would say to that, though

Just now, msommer said:

He's the technically the commander in Chief so I suppose he could order all the troops and missiles and what have you home. Not sure what the Joint Chiefs would say to that, though

:mellow: 

When are the next war games scheduled for? I could see him doing what he did in N. Korea and canceling them...

Putin would love that.

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

Let the guy negotiate 

Negotiate what?

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

:mellow: 

When are the next war games scheduled for? I could see him doing what he did in N. Korea and canceling them...

Putin would love that.

Bunch of them

1 person likes this

Who would have thought that after almost 70 years of being in NATO that Donald Trump would be the one to figure it all out.

Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, the Bushes....?  All rubes.  Just a bunch of mamby-pamby cucks.  

31 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

What good is NATO if Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars for gas and energy? Why are their only 5 out of 29 countries that have met their commitment? The U.S. is paying for Europe’s protection, then loses billions on Trade. Must pay 2% of GDP IMMEDIATELY, not by 2025.

---

Once again, he misstates both the US's costs for their own military and what happens in trade.

he is a moron.  this tweet reads like it was written by a borderline illiterate.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Weebs210 said:

I'm not seeing the connection. Maybe you could enlighten me.

The KGB was an instrument of domestic terror, it engaged in domestic spying, jailing political opponents, running of gulags, citizen intimidation, murder, and purges dating to its creation. The FSB was the inheritor to that organization. The KGB also engaged in the same practices in nations that the USSR occupied and Putin was an officer for it, specifically in East Germany. And Putin was director of FSB. The KGB and FSB were also key controllers of black/grey market goods and integrally involved in corruption, which continues to this day. I take it your are ignorant of these things, but I think you will agree they are antithetical to American values of democracy, individual rights and defense of western values and security. To agree that the KGB and FSB and Putin are fine is to stand against American values.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, zoonation said:

he is a moron.  this tweet reads like it was written by a borderline illiterate.

He's creating an impossible condition against the agreements of the nations of Nato and he is doing it purposefully.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

That’s BS...Russia spends 66 billion a year.  Germany spend 44, the UK 47, France 58, etc.  To think Europe would be left to Russia’s whims is the height of US-centric Trump think.

I didn’t say Europe.  I said the Baltics and Scandinavia.  Germany, UK, and French forces are not integrated.  The US provides the command and control structure.  They aren’t going to mobilize to drive Russia out of, say, Finland.