Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

NATO

10 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

I did a quick google and found that the NATO countries have a total populatio of about 880 million people, The United States population is about is about 325 million. What % should we pay?

I guess if we are going by population then we should pay about 37% of NATOs budget.  Should we?

Just now, rustycolts said:

I guess if we are going by population then we should pay about 37% of NATOs budget.  Should we?

Overall I'd rather pay less than what we do but we should spend what's needed to maintain the alliance.. The bigger consideration is what value are we getting out of this. 

At the end of WWII the US became the preeminent world power and has maintained that for 70 years with NATO playing a large part by containing the USSR and keeping the peace in Western Europe. It's very important part of the US long term strategy of remaining the leading power. It's certainly possible that China becomes the dominant power in the future no matter what we do but the longer that's delayed the better. 

• Like 3

On 7/11/2018 at 8:40 PM, boots11234 said:

Have these other countries agreed to the 2% goal?  If so they should pay 2%. 

NO ONE IS PAYING.  This is what they are supposed to spend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Teyana said:

I don’t understand the title of this opinion piece relative to the contents within?  The title seems to suggest Trump got something Obama merely asked for but never received.  The article itself mentions no new pledges that I can see, just a joint reaffirmation (originally secured by Obama 4 years ago) of the pledged increase in military spending by the NATO countries.  The rest of the article was not much of a high-five to Trump, either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Teyana said:

Mr. Obama persuaded NATO leaders to increase their military spending at a meeting in Wales in 2014, after a newly aggressive Russia invaded Ukraine.

:shrug:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Facts and logic...

Water on a goose

Many people say it's 90%.*

*Just don't ask Trump to name his sources.