Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tecumseh

Fundraiser to fight childhood cancer

35 posts in this topic

Hey all- As a few of you may know, after being inspired by @bigbottom's son's battle with cancer, I became a pediatric hematology and oncology nurse. This year I'm taking part in a 5k swim to raise money for the research efforts on the unit that I work on. The Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorder Center at CHOA is one of the leading pediatric cancer centers in the country, and was again just listed in the top 10 in US News and World Report rankings. All proceeds from my swim will go to support research against childhood leukemia. I'd really appreciate the support of the FFA.

Thanks,

Tec

http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/goto/tecumseh

 

 

12 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count us in!!!

And as I’ve told you privately before, we are so amazed and inspired by the calling you have pursued. Pediatric oncology nurses are just about the best people in the world as far as I am concerned, and they are now better that you are among them. 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, trident said:

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

What do you mean “fight cancer in general”?  Treatment protocols for cancer vary widely depending on the type of cancer (and there are many types).  Treatment protocols also differ widely between adults and children. New treatments (i.e. cures) being researched are likely to be targeted to the specific type of cancer at issue and the age of the patient (child vs. adult), as the concept of a single “moon shot” treatment that cures all cancer is extremely remote.  Most advancements are iterative. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, trident said:

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

 

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

What do you mean “fight cancer in general”?  Treatment protocols for cancer vary widely depending on the type of cancer (and there are many types).  Treatment protocols also differ widely between adults and children. New treatments (i.e. cures) being researched are likely to be targeted to the specific type of cancer at issue and the age of the patient (child vs. adult), as the concept of a single “moon shot” treatment that cures all cancer is extremely remote.  Most advancements are iterative. 

Not to mention that pediatric cancer donations and research grants pale in comparison to many other types of cancer, mostly because parents don't want to even think about the idea of (their) kids being affected so they in effect prefer to ignore it. I'm speaking broadly of course but look at the numbers and try to figure out a better reason. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

 

Not to mention that pediatric cancer donations and research grants pale in comparison to many other types of cancer, mostly because parents don't want to even think about the idea of (their) kids being affected so they in effect prefer to ignore it. I'm speaking broadly of course but look at the numbers and try to figure out a better reason. 

Excellent point. Moreover, only 4% of federal cancer research funding is dedicated to pediatric cancer research. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done.  Good luck!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, trident said:

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

I suppose it would, but there really isn't any such thing as generalized cancer research. There are so many different types of cancer, that there will never be one panacea cure-all. There are solid tumors, liquid tumors, leukemias, lymphomas, cancers of the muscle, bone, fascia, organs, skin, etc. On top of that, cancer in children is treated very differently from cancer in adults, and on top of it all, receives a small fraction of the funding that adult cancers receive. I appreciate you asking the question. Most people don't understand the complexity of the problem.

ETA: Typed this before seeing the answers above. Thanks guys.

Edited by Tecumseh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

Done.  Good luck!

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck and be careful.

Alligators have been spotted there...

:shark:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eoMMan said:

Good luck and be careful.

Alligators have been spotted there...

:shark:

Really?? I'm more creeped out by the bodies that haven't been found. :scared:

On the plus side, maybe I'll find Julio Jones' earring.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Count us in!!!

And as I’ve told you privately before, we are so amazed and inspired by the calling you have pursued. Pediatric oncology nurses are just about the best people in the world as far as I am concerned, and they are now better that you are among them. 

Wow, thank you so much!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done. Good luck and have fun!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Done. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, trident said:

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

All cancers matter! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

Hey all- As a few of you may know, after being inspired by @bigbottom's son's battle with cancer, I became a pediatric hematology and oncology nurse. This year I'm taking part in a 5k swim to raise money for the research efforts on the unit that I work on. The Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorder Center at CHOA is one of the leading pediatric cancer centers in the country, and was again just listed in the top 10 in US News and World Report rankings. All proceeds from my swim will go to support research against childhood leukemia. I'd really appreciate the support of the FFA.

Thanks,

Tec

http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/goto/tecumseh

 

 

I haven't really shared a lot of details here, but I lost my son in 2016 after he battled osteosarcoma and leukemia. My handle here is his old XboxLive handle. The care that we got during all of his treatment was so amazing, it was life-altering.

I hope that noone else on this board ever has to experience it firsthand, but what you do for a living has an immense impact on the world. I just wanted to express my admiration and gratitutde that people like you are willing and capable of doing such amazing work.

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done.  Great cause.  Thank you for what you do.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Done.  Great cause.  Thank you for what you do.

Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I haven't really shared a lot of details here, but I lost my son in 2016 after he battled osteosarcoma and leukemia. My handle here is his old XboxLive handle. The care that we got during all of his treatment was so amazing, it was life-altering.

I hope that noone else on this board ever has to experience it firsthand, but what you do for a living has an immense impact on the world. I just wanted to express my admiration and gratitutde that people like you are willing and capable of doing such amazing work.

I'm very sorry about your son. Osteo and leukemia by themselves are so difficult,but combining the two?? So hard, and so unfair...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

I'm very sorry about your son. Osteo and leukemia by themselves are so difficult,but combining the two?? So hard, and so unfair...  

Thanks for the kind words. He fought hard. First osteo, then leukemia secondary r/t the chemo from osteo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Thanks for the kind words. He fought hard. First osteo, then leukemia secondary r/t the chemo from osteo. 

I’m so sorry to hear this. How old was he when he passed if you don’t mind me asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done and very sorry to hear ProstheticRGK.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, baymen said:

Done and very sorry to hear ProstheticRGK.

Thank you so much for your donation. You guys are absolutely crushing it in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 11:17 AM, trident said:

Wouldn't it be better just to fight cancer in general?

I think we found RnR new alias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. How old was he when he passed if you don’t mind me asking?

He was just shy of his 16th birthday. Original diagnosis came when he was 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

He was just shy of his 16th birthday. Original diagnosis came when he was 11.

Damn dude it's like a gut punch when I read things like this.  I could not even comprehend what you must have went through.  My deepest sympathies.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

done. thank you for doing this, and i hope it's a great success. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Damn dude it's like a gut punch when I read things like this.  I could not even comprehend what you must have went through.  My deepest sympathies.

 

Appreciate it, brother. And, again, I can't say it enough- people like Tecumseh are my heroes. They help dozens of kids and their families every day. They get attached and go through the ups and downs of treatment and manage to provide comfort and care. I swear, working that job must be like a refining furnace, because I have yet to meet a pediatric oncology RN who was not a genuinely good human being.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Quint said:

done. thank you for doing this, and i hope it's a great success. 

Thank you very much, and thanks for the kind note!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Appreciate it, brother. And, again, I can't say it enough- people like Tecumseh are my heroes. They help dozens of kids and their families every day. They get attached and go through the ups and downs of treatment and manage to provide comfort and care. I swear, working that job must be like a refining furnace, because I have yet to meet a pediatric oncology RN who was not a genuinely good human being.

I appreciate the kind words, but it's the kids who are the heroes. Seeing them fight through what are some just incredibly horrible circumstances amazes me everyday. It's inspiring and heart breaking and miraculous and infuriating and energizing and exhausting, all at the same time. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

He was just shy of his 16th birthday. Original diagnosis came when he was 11.

I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you and your son’s mom are surviving what must be crushing grief. 2016 must feel like yesterday. I can imagine all of the ups and downs you must have experienced during that 4+ year battle. I hope and pray that there were good times as well. Please reach out if you ever need anything.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also sorry for your loss, ProstheticRGK. That's awful. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all- this post is a little long, but please hang in there... we are about 3 weeks away from Swim Across America, an open water swim at Lake Lanier. All proceeds will benefit research at the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at CHOA.

First, to those who have already donated- THANK YOU!!! 
For those who may have not had the time or inclination, I'd just ask to please take a moment to consider that only 4% of Federal funding in cancer research goes to pediatric cancers.

As added incentive, I have joined team Amazing Grace. Her wish was to be the top individual fundraiser for 2018. What follows are her own words:

"Last September, I was honored to swim at Lake Lanier to raise money for my treating clinic/hospital (Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta) and for the people who have helped me for the past almost 4 years. They all carry fancy titles like oncologist, nurse practitioner, nurse, surgeon, physical therapist and prosthetist. But they have found a special place in my heart, and as a result, they all carry a much more valuable and special title now. I simply call them my friends. They care about me, they love me, and they wish they could do something more to save my life. But they can't. They are smart and talented and dedicated and committed and creative, but despite being all of those things, they can't do anything now to save my life. My cancer called osteosarcoma just does not want to cooperate with their treatments and medications. No, it has other plans. Primarily, it plans to take my life. And excepting divine intervention, it will. We just don't know when. But if our collective 'umbrella prayers' remain unanswered, it will happen well before the next Atlanta Swim Across America Open Water event that will take place on September 22, 2018.

Last September, despite the fact that my cancer had returned to my spine and lungs, I was able to complete the 1 mile Open Water Atlanta Swim and was the top individual fundraiser for AFLAC. And guess what? I plan to do that again. Be the top individual fundraiser that is. But just like everything that is important in life, I can't do that alone. No, I will definitely need your help.

Please consider joining our team or joining another team or making a donation to Aflac on behalf of myself and our team!

And rest assured, I will definitely be at Lake Lanier come September 22nd. You just might not be able to see me. But if you are swimming in the water or cheering along the shore or riding in a kayak or handing out tattoos or water or gatorade, I hope you will be able to feel my presence and Spirit as we all continue to make waves to cure cancer. Because I am hopeful that by working together, we can change the future of other young (and old) people like myself who are diagnosed with cancer. Although all of the Open Water Atlanta SAA events in September will have a finish line, guess what doesn't? Hope. Hope has no finish line. I hope you will consider helping me reach my goal."

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness month. I hope you'll consider supporting my effort to fight back against pediatric cancer.

Donation Page

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simultaneously inspirational and heartbreaking. 

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Please consider doing something to help promote awareness of this dreadful disease that takes too many of our young ones. Share something on Facebook. Start a conversation with a friend. Read up on some of the latest statistics. Or consider supporting our good friend Tecumseh in his quest to honor the memory of Grace, even if it’s just a few dollars. Ripples make a wave.  And in Grace’s insightful words, hope has no finish line. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much to the person that donated last night. I really appreciate it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.