Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bostonfred

Conservatives, what do you actually want?

Recommended Posts

I posted most of my thoughts in the liberal side of this question.  I don't think anyone thinks of me as a conservative too often, but the one place I think I may line up with conservatives better than liberals is the purpose of taxation.  Now as a liberal I am for taxing at higher levels than conservatives so this isn't about fighting over that.  In the liberal thread I already mentioned flatting out taxes (after doing a bunch of liberal stuff which would counter the regressive nature first) and possibly going to a consumption tax.  I believe that these are more conservative ideas, but not what I am really going for.

When it comes to taxation I think that taxes should be for the sole purpose of paying for the government spending we create.  Deficits matter as borrowing also taxes the economy.   I don't think we should use taxes to pursue other agenda items.  We shouldn't hide spending as tax breaks.   We shouldn't pretend tax cuts lead to spending cuts (usually the opposite happens).   We should not use tax breaks to promote morality.  Maybe we target "sin taxes" to pay for whatever extra government spending happens as a result of usage of alcohol or whatever, but not as a means to promote good behavior.   Sometimes I waiver a bit on such things and am not as consistent of this as a true conservative might be.  And I am kind of calling "tax expenditures" spending.  So maybe my liberal side slips out a bit from time to time, but I still think this is more "conservative" than "liberal".  If not, forgive me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do I want different than what we have now?

1.A knowledgeable President on the issues that studies and listens to his advisers.

2. A President with character and integrity who not only talks about Christian values but acts like he has Christian values and actually has compassion for his fellow man on both sides of the border.

3. A President who actually would be concerned about balancing the budget and not just on the backs of entitlements. That may mean not cutting taxes as much as you like and not  going crazy on excessive defense spending.

4. Stop attacking the FBI and Justice department. I have had enough of discrediting Mueller. If you have done nothing wrong you will be fine. And with the Republicans controlled House and Senate you don't have much to worry about if you did some minor illegal stuff ....they got your back.

5 Stop treating dictators and thug leaders better than our allies. Canada is our friend. So is Germany, England etc 

6. And  renegotiate new trade deals when they expire and NO TARIFFS!!! PLEASE

Edited by lazyike
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Opie said:

because you (and the left) are looking for answers that begin with..."the Government should....."

The real answers begin with ......"the Government should not...."

I agree with you.

Let's start with:

1. The government should not impose tariffs.

2. The government should not waste time and money chasing after undocumented immigrants.

3. The government should not interfere with a woman's right to her own body.

Hows that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Abolish the IRS.  Flat tax or Consumption tax instead.

2. Stop policing the world and nation building

3. Reduce national debt

4. Reform our drug laws

5. Limited government in all aspects of our lives

6. Free market keep the government and all it's regulations out of business.

7. Equal rights of all people matter all the time

8. Protection of 1st and 2nd amendment rights.

Edited by rustycolts
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Politicians who place their constituents before their parties.

Congressmen with spines, who serve their intended purpose rather than treat the President like their boss simply because he belongs to their party.

Honesty

Common sense

Less government.  Do we need a secretary of education, when decisions on education aren't even made as high as the state level most places? 

Where it has to exist, more effective government.  If we have to have an EPA, OK. Maybe I can buy the greater good there.  But let's not half-### it and make it a joke for the sake of having an agency that's going to simply pretend to protect something.

Having value placed on accountability

Which includes valuing the independent role media should play.  Neither the State Media that supplies the President his talking points every morning nor the hit pieces from the other side are helping.  That also doesn't mean media is evil.  They're incredibly important. 

To stop conflating free market and pro-privatization with giving large corporations and the people who run them everything they want and leaving them completely unchecked.  Competition is valuable. Promoting small business is valuable.

Intellectual honesty when it comes to arguments specific to topics like the second amendment, spending, and Christian values. 

For the government to stop taking out $1,000 loans in my name, giving me $170 of it, and expecting me to be grateful for what I received today.

Recognition that Comprehensive Immigration Reform should be neither an obscene phrase nor a political tool.  Building a wall to prevent 1/3 of illegal immigration is asinine. Moreso when we could take the starting price for that wall and distribute it among the homeless population to the tune of about $60k per person.  Likewise, we should be proactively seeking to remove those who are not interested in making positive contributions to society, and part of that includes border enforcement and funneling people into a system that benefits us and them. 

Quit giving a damn what and who people do on their own time, when it doesn't impact you and your life.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure there's a lot more, but now my brain hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Pretty sure there's a lot more, but now my brain hurts.

I think we are more Libertarian than conservative.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, yeah, health care that's not broken for damn near everyone.  At this point, I'm not even sure I care anymore if the answer is single payer.  There's not a reason in the world my premiums should have increased at the rate they have while still having so many people who don't have adequate coverage.  What the hell kind of sense does that make?  It's the worst of all worlds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

I think we are more Libertarian than conservative.

I was going to comment your list looks like a nice Libertarian agenda.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, lazyike said:

What do I want different than what we have now?

1.A knowledgeable President on the issues that studies and listens to his advisers.

2. A President with character and integrity who not only talks about Christian values but acts like he has Christian values and actually has compassion for his fellow man on both sides of the border.

3. A President who actually would be concerned about balancing the budget and not just on the backs of entitlements. That may mean not cutting taxes as much as you like and not  going crazy on excessive defense spending.

4. Stop attacking the FBI and Justice department. I have had enough of discrediting Mueller. If you have done nothing wrong you will be fine. And with the Republicans controlled House and Senate you don't have much to worry about if you did some minor illegal stuff ....they got your back.

5 Stop treating dictators and thug leaders better than our allies. Canada is our friend. So is Germany, England etc 

6. And  renegotiate new trade deals when they expire and NO TARIFFS!!! PLEASE

Oh yeah! Stop attacking the MSM for what you think is fake news because it doesn't suit you. Stop tweeting and spewing your own made up garbage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Opie said:

From what I can see in these two topics is that liberals want guaranteed outcomes while conservatives want only guaranteed opportunity.

The Declaration of Independence talks about "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness".  There is nothing guaranteeing that happiness will be found.

The harder you try....the better your chances are

Seems liberals want equal opportunity which leads to the outcomes.  And you seemingly like to put words in the mouths of liberals that they aren’t actually saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Oh, yeah, health care that's not broken for damn near everyone.  At this point, I'm not even sure I care anymore if the answer is single payer.  There's not a reason in the world my premiums should have increased at the rate they have while still having so many people who don't have adequate coverage.  What the hell kind of sense does that make?  It's the worst of all worlds.

I don't know if single payer is the way to go or not.  Something has to be done though.  After cobra runs out for me next August I will be going without insurance for 3 years until Medicare kicks in because it is just so expensive.  I think total free market may be the way to go with no restrictions between states.  Maybe nationwide co-opts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rustycolts said:

I think we are more Libertarian than conservative.

Maybe. I've always described myself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal, which I know people like bigbottom would tell you are incompatible at a basic level. It's great to think everyone should have the same opportunities in life, but it's also Utopian imo. I recognize the need for some regulation and safety nets. And there are some things the central government simply has to provide, while there are other things that would be socially incompatible with allowing to be for-profit.

I spent most of my life casting most of my votes for the Republican party, because I could hold my nose on the social stances I hated in favor of fiscal policies I preferred.  But this version of that party is so far from representing my POV I'm ashamed to admit I've ever cast a vote for them.  They're an abomination.  And that's the point where I think you have to question a lot of the things you thought you believed.  So I'm much less confident in my positions these days.  Which is unsettling.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bob Sacamano You and me both brother.  I became  so disgusted with the Republican party in 2003 that I changed from Republican to No Party Affiliation.  The problem is the Democratic party is no better.  We really don't have much of a choice anymore.  I have been saying for awhile now that we should just put plumbers, electricians, teachers you know regular folks in office.  Get rid of the clowns we have in office now.  The way our political system is set up that will never happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I agree with you.

Let's start with:

1. The government should not impose tariffs.

2. The government should not waste time and money chasing after undocumented immigrants.

3. The government should not interfere with a woman's right to her own body.

Hows that?

...then we agree.

1.  I have made it clear that I don't like tariffs.

2.  Instead of a misdemeanor, illegal immigration should be a felony which would impede legal immigration at a later date.  The obvious thing to do is to make punishments that deter illegal behavior...not just an "oh well....better luck next time."

3.  I don't care what a woman does with her body....just don't make me pay for it.

Edited by Opie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Oh yeah! Stop attacking the MSM for what you think is fake news because it doesn't suit you. Stop tweeting and spewing your own made up garbage!

I don't think you understood the question very well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forced migration within the US and trips outside the country for at least 1 week every 15 years of life for citizens.  

Both would help with some of the ignorance.  Which might not be as concentrated as it seems with people whose world view is limited to "that underpass on the other side of the city" and "the time we went to Branson to see what Broadway plays are like", but damn if Facebook doesn't make it seem that way.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Wine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I don't think you understood the question very well.

So you are saying I can't say how I want my conservative President  or Representative to conduct themselves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly want governing out of things and am generally in favor of smaller functioning units. However this is a very general tendency of preference, not a moral guideline.

I am not concerned with wealth inequality, in and of itself. Certainly it is a strong indicator of afoot treachery, but I find the measure unimportant without context. I do have empathy for many in this world, but my thoughts tend to be centered toward a fixed baseline of some sort, rather than weighted in respect to the means of those in their proximity.

I am strongly in favor of personal freedoms, and want people to be unilaterally free to enjoy hedonistic pleasures to their hearts' content (sex, drugs and rock n roll, baby) but am not oblivious to the notion of aggressively enforced constraints possibly being a necessity in some form.

In most cases, I don't have much of an opinion on matters. That lends itself to the laissez-faire philosophy to which I subscribe, as I generally put the burden of convincement on those that wish to actively enforce something or other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rustycolts said:

1. Abolish the IRS.  Flat tax or Consumption tax instead.

2. Stop policing the world and nation building

3. Reduce national debt

4. Reform our drug laws

5. Limited government in all aspects of our lives

6. Free market keep the government and all it's regulations out of business.

7. Equal rights of all people matter all the time

8. Protection of 1st and 2nd amendment rights.

I like most of this in theory expect #6. That's how rivers get set on fire and low income citizens and their kids get to live miserably and die early.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kwille said:

I like most of this in theory expect #6. That's how rivers get set on fire and low income citizens and their kids get to live miserably and die early.

States could decide by vote what they would allow.  For instance ban fracking like Florida doesn't allow off shore drilling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

1)  I support lower taxes and smaller government.  Money is best spent by the people who earn it, not the government.

2) Support legal immigration only.  Oppose amnesty for those who enter the country illegally.  Secure the borders.

3) Healthcare- support competitive, free market health care system.  Health care should remain privatized.  Socialized medicine results in higher costs and everyone receives the same poor quality health care

4) support free market capitalism, creates more economic growth and jobs and not burdened by excessive government regulation.  Recent socialist movement by the left scares me to death as it would ruin our country.

5) climate change - change in global temperature is natural over long periods of time

6) Welfare - I support helping those that truly need it but helping them become self-reliant, rather than allowing them to remain dependent on the government.

7)  Homeland Security - Support necessary defense spending to destroy our biggest threat - ISIS.

8)  Hate discrimination programs like affirmative action, people should be admitted to schools and hired based on their ability.  Loved Trump ending Obama's stupid policy limiting Asians for scholarships.

9) Ban abortions - life begins at conception

10) Social Security - privatize immediately, I don't trust the governement and can do it better myself.

Yes to the above. One thing this country needs is comphrehensive workforce training. A lot of the educational community in my state balks at this because they think everyone can be a doctor or lawyer. But we need skilled labor. Conservatives in my state are pushing hard for this, liberals not so much. We have two large auto manufacturers and a shipbuilder who can't fill good paying goods because there aren't qualified welders etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Politicians who place their constituents before their parties.

Congressmen with spines, who serve their intended purpose rather than treat the President like their boss simply because he belongs to their party.

Honesty

Common sense

Less government.  Do we need a secretary of education, when decisions on education aren't even made as high as the state level most places? 

Where it has to exist, more effective government.  If we have to have an EPA, OK. Maybe I can buy the greater good there.  But let's not half-### it and make it a joke for the sake of having an agency that's going to simply pretend to protect something.

Having value placed on accountability

Which includes valuing the independent role media should play.  Neither the State Media that supplies the President his talking points every morning nor the hit pieces from the other side are helping.  That also doesn't mean media is evil.  They're incredibly important. 

To stop conflating free market and pro-privatization with giving large corporations and the people who run them everything they want and leaving them completely unchecked.  Competition is valuable. Promoting small business is valuable.

Intellectual honesty when it comes to arguments specific to topics like the second amendment, spending, and Christian values. 

For the government to stop taking out $1,000 loans in my name, giving me $170 of it, and expecting me to be grateful for what I received today.

Recognition that Comprehensive Immigration Reform should be neither an obscene phrase nor a political tool.  Building a wall to prevent 1/3 of illegal immigration is asinine. Moreso when we could take the starting price for that wall and distribute it among the homeless population to the tune of about $60k per person.  Likewise, we should be proactively seeking to remove those who are not interested in making positive contributions to society, and part of that includes border enforcement and funneling people into a system that benefits us and them. 

Quit giving a damn what and who people do on their own time, when it doesn't impact you and your life.

A-####ing-men.  Preach brother!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cripster said:

Yes to the above. One thing this country needs is comphrehensive workforce training. A lot of the educational community in my state balks at this because they think everyone can be a doctor or lawyer. But we need skilled labor. Conservatives in my state are pushing hard for this, liberals not so much. We have two large auto manufacturers and a shipbuilder who can't fill good paying goods because there aren't qualified welders etc. 

Can you elaborate?  Liberals aren't for extending education and conservatives are? Is that what you are saying?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Can you elaborate?  Liberals aren't for extending education and conservatives are? Is that what you are saying?  

Absolutely not what I am saying. Workforce training is teaching kids in high school skills that are in high demand in the area. In our case, auto manufacturing and ship building. These businesses help fund  these projects as does the state in high schools and community colleges. The teacher union, which block votes democrat generally opposes this as they feel it discourages a 4 year college education and sells kids short. They don't want it in the schools at all. Many of these kids can't be doctors and lawyers. But they can be welders and earn 40k after two years of community college with benefits. But the majority of individuals supporting this is the business community and conservative legislators. Our educational system ranks in the mid 40s. Workforce training can help a lot of kids from lower income families. I can't imagine why some democrats won't  get behind this. They just want to pour more tax dollars into traditional , sub par education. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

3) Healthcare- support competitive, free market health care system.  Health care should remain privatized.  Socialized medicine results in higher costs and everyone receives the same poor quality health care

Then why is our healthcare system the most expensive in the world without the results to match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

States could decide by vote what they would allow.  For instance ban fracking like Florida doesn't allow off shore drilling.

I respect that but we've been down that road from the 50s through the late 70s and it was generally a disaster. Left to their own devices,,unchecked markets will take every advantage possible and pollution in the ground, surface, and air doesn't respect administrative boundaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Please listen to @bostonfred  He's trying to generate legit discussion.

I admit...I started off really snarky and I apologize....but have settled down since after reading some very legit responses..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Teyana said:

My biggest issue is I don't want babies being murdered anymore. Hopefully Trump can elect a few more judges and this will change.

Is abortion truly your biggest issue? Of course that's fine if it is. Just trying to make sure I understand you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Is abortion truly your biggest issue? 

 I would rank it #1 abortion #2 secure borders #3 fair trade

I understand why people don't want abortions illegal, and they would be valid reasons if I didn't think of it as terminating human life. I know many will make the argument it isn't life at such an early stage but I believe it is.

Edited by Teyana
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting question.  I wonder if it would have been better phrased to ask, first, to name three influential conservatives that help to shape your worldview, and then the worldview/what do you want from government.  I think that would end up ultimately helping to understand and define the answers that come after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Teyana said:

 I would rank it #1 abortion #2 secure borders #3 fair trade

I understand why people don't want abortions illegal, and they would be valid reasons if I didn't think of it as terminating human life. I know many will make the argument it isn't life at such an early stage but I believe it is.

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Teyana said:

 I would rank it #1 abortion #2 secure borders #3 fair trade

I understand why people don't want abortions illegal, and they would be valid reasons if I didn't think of it as terminating human life. I know many will make the argument it isn't life at such an early stage but I believe it is.

Taking an outcome oriented approach to this - Would it be accurate to say that your desired outcome is zero - or in a realistic world, as close to zero - abortions as possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cripster said:

Absolutely not what I am saying. Workforce training is teaching kids in high school skills that are in high demand in the area. In our case, auto manufacturing and ship building. These businesses help fund  these projects as does the state in high schools and community colleges. The teacher union, which block votes democrat generally opposes this as they feel it discourages a 4 year college education and sells kids short. They don't want it in the schools at all. Many of these kids can't be doctors and lawyers. But they can be welders and earn 40k after two years of community college with benefits. But the majority of individuals supporting this is the business community and conservative legislators. Our educational system ranks in the mid 40s. Workforce training can help a lot of kids from lower income families. I can't imagine why some democrats won't  get behind this. They just want to pour more tax dollars into traditional , sub par education. 

Thanks for the clarification. I see what you're saying. Seems odd as it was the complete opposite in my area but we didn't have unions involved. My high school still offers those sorts of things even today. They are electives but are options. 

Is it argued that offering these classes take away from the core competencies teaching time?  That's something to consider and a reflection of the issues we have with our government's vision or lack thereof for educating students so they can be competitive on the world stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand BOTH sides of the abortion issue so I'm am really glad that I don't have to make the decision for the country.

I understand the Left's side.  They don't see the fetus as a viable human being and therefore, it can be removed at the wishes of the mother.  How can a woman be forced to carry a fetus to full term if they don't want the child or the responsibility?  I have two daughters and that decision would be theirs...not mine.

I understand the Right's side.  To them, abortion stops a beating heart and to them, that constitutes murder.....and what would any "god fearing person" do if they knew of murders occurring?  They would try to stop it.

I get it...but the bottom line is that, banning abortions will not end abortions.

I see both sides of the argument and I wouldn't want to rule on it....BUT....don't make me pay for it.  In my opinion....abortions have nothing to do with the role of our government so my tax dollars should not be part of it...one way or the other.

Anyway...IF they were somehow banned...it would fall to the States.

 

Edited by Opie
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Opie said:

I understand BOTH sides of the abortion issue so I'm am really glad that I don't have to make the decision for the country.

I understand the Left's side.  They don't see the fetus as a viable human being and can therefore, it can be removed at the wishes of the mother.  Who should a woman be forced to carry a fetus to full term if they don't want the child or the responsibility.  I have two daughters and that decision would be theirs...not mine.

I understand the Right's side.  To them, abortion stops a beating heart and to them, that constitutes murder.....and what would any "god fearing person" do if they knew of murders occurring?  They would try to stop it.

I get it...but the bottom line is that, banning abortions will not end abortions.

I see both sides of the argument and I wouldn't want to rule on it....BUT....don't make me pay for it.  In my opinion....abortions have nothing to do with the role of our government so my tax dollars should not be part of it...one way or the other.

 

I....uh...agree with you...

Do taxpayer dollars even pay for abortions now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

I....uh...agree with you...

Do taxpayer dollars even pay for abortions now?

I am pretty sure that tax payers' money helps fund Planned Parenthood and the last I heard, Planned Parenthood plays a role in abortions (among other things).

I could be wrong....it happened....once.

Edited by Opie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Opie said:

I understand BOTH sides of the abortion issue so I'm am really glad that I don't have to make the decision for the country.

I understand the Left's side.  They don't see the fetus as a viable human being and can therefore, it can be removed at the wishes of the mother.  Who should a woman be forced to carry a fetus to full term if they don't want the child or the responsibility.  I have two daughters and that decision would be theirs...not mine.

I understand the Right's side.  To them, abortion stops a beating heart and to them, that constitutes murder.....and what would any "god fearing person" do if they knew of murders occurring?  They would try to stop it.

I get it...but the bottom line is that, banning abortions will not end abortions.

I see both sides of the argument and I wouldn't want to rule on it....BUT....don't make me pay for it.  In my opinion....abortions have nothing to do with the role of our government so my tax dollars should not be part of it...one way or the other.

 

I hate abortion.  Hate that it happens.  Hate that some are very necessary and hate that there are reasons for them.

But I realize the choices that are sometimes made.  I realize the dangers of an all out ban.

im for choice with realistic restrictions (later term and so on)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I hate abortion.  Hate that it happens.  Hate that some are very necessary and hate that there are reasons for them.

But I realize the choices that are sometimes made.  I realize the dangers of an all out ban.

im for choice with realistic restrictions (later term and so on)

 

:goodposting:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

1)  I support lower taxes and smaller government.  Money is best spent by the people who earn it, not the government.

2) Support legal immigration only.  Oppose amnesty for those who enter the country illegally.  Secure the borders.

3) Healthcare- support competitive, free market health care system.  Health care should remain privatized.  Socialized medicine results in higher costs and everyone receives the same poor quality health care

4) support free market capitalism, creates more economic growth and jobs and not burdened by excessive government regulation.  Recent socialist movement by the left scares me to death as it would ruin our country.

5) climate change - change in global temperature is natural over long periods of time

6) Welfare - I support helping those that truly need it but helping them become self-reliant, rather than allowing them to remain dependent on the government.

7)  Homeland Security - Support necessary defense spending to destroy our biggest threat - ISIS.

8)  Hate discrimination programs like affirmative action, people should be admitted to schools and hired based on their ability.  Loved Trump ending Obama's stupid policy limiting Asians for scholarships.

9) Ban abortions - life begins at conception

10) Social Security - privatize immediately, I don't trust the governement and can do it better myself.

This is easily your best post in this forum.  Well articulated.  

Edited by zoonation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Opie said:

I am pretty sure that tax payers' money helps fund Planned Parenthood and the last I heard, Planned Parenthood plays a role in abortions (among other things).

I could be wrong....it happened....once.

The money from the fed gov't that goes to Planned Parenthood is from Medicaid for non-abortion health care services for poor women. Because of the Hyde Amendment, the Medicaid money specifically can't be used to pay for an abortion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Opie said:

I am pretty sure that tax payers' money helps fund Planned Parenthood and the last I heard, Planned Parenthood plays a role in abortions (among other things).

I could be wrong....it happened....once.

Yeah, I dunno. I always thought tax pay money couldn't pay for abortions.

I don't think anyone likes abortions, but I'm also a guy who will never have to make that decision under any circumstance.

I'd prefer they weren't necessary and everyone just had access to free birth control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

The money from the fed gov't that goes to Planned Parenthood is from Medicaid for non-abortion health care services for poor women. Because of the Hyde Amendment, the Medicaid money specifically can't be used to pay for an abortion.

Then, I stand corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Opie said:

Then, I stand corrected.

Abortion is so tough.  I believe a woman hS a right to determine what she does with her own body but I hate the idea of abortion.  

It is so tough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Teyana said:

I understand why people don't want abortions illegal, and they would be valid reasons if I didn't think of it as terminating human life. I know many will make the argument it isn't life at such an early stage but I believe it is.

What is more important

  • making abortion illegal
  • reducing the number of abortions

?

Sure these don't need to be contradictory goals and I'm sure your answer is "both", but these tend to be conflicting "in practice" which is why I believe this is a legitimate question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rustycolts said:

I don't know if single payer is the way to go or not.  Something has to be done though.  After cobra runs out for me next August I will be going without insurance for 3 years until Medicare kicks in because it is just so expensive.  I think total free market may be the way to go with no restrictions between states.  Maybe nationwide co-opts.

Talk with me, if you'd like, about what options you may or may not have.  Happy to help, if I can.

As for "so expensive", the US spent $3.4T in healthcare in 2016, and that number is projected to grow by 5.6% annually for roughly the next decade according to CMS.  So that means it was roughly $3.6T last year - for ~325M people.  That's roughly $11k for every man, woman, and child on a per person basis.  It doesn't matter if insurance companies, the government, or citizens are paying that cost in the end (or some mix thereof) - it's far too high.  No matter what happens, that cost HAS to be lowered.  In the end, only two things will or even could make a sizeable impact on it - rationing and improving overall health and thus eliminating the cost before it ever happens (studies have shown that roughly half of health care expenses are from "lifestyle choices").  Or we get doctors to start charging ~20% less for their services.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Talk with me, if you'd like, about what options you may or may not have.  Happy to help, if I can.

As for "so expensive", the US spent $3.4T in healthcare in 2016, and that number is projected to grow by 5.6% annually for roughly the next decade according to CMS.  So that means it was roughly $3.6T last year - for ~325M people.  That's roughly $11k for every man, woman, and child on a per person basis.  It doesn't matter if insurance companies, the government, or citizens are paying that cost in the end (or some mix thereof) - it's far too high.  No matter what happens, that cost HAS to be lowered.  In the end, only two things will or even could make a sizeable impact on it - rationing and improving overall health and thus eliminating the cost before it ever happens (studies have shown that roughly half of health care expenses are from "lifestyle choices").  Or we get doctors to start charging ~20% less for their services.

Thank you I sure will.  I had always thought I would have VA to fall back on,but the rules have changed and it seems I have to many assets to qualify for VA.  Guess the rules were changed back during George Ws admin.  If I had signed up in 76 when I got out then I would have been grandfathered in but I didn't do that.  Shame really because when I joined that was one of the benefits I was promised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.