Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bostonfred

Liberals, what do you actually want?

141 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Is replacing the ifederal income tax with the Fair Tax revenue neutral?

Revenue neutral means it collects the same as today's various taxes (income, payroll, tariffs (which from some perspectives the FairTax would be), etc.).  That is problematic when we are scheduled to be running almost a trillion dollar annual deficit. 

3 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

Revenue neutral means it collects the same as today's various taxes (income, payroll, tariffs (which from some perspectives the FairTax would be), etc.).  That is problematic when we are scheduled to be running almost a trillion dollar annual deficit. 

That wouldn’t work too well. 

4 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

Agreed, thus the question. But I’m willing to listen when single payer and  guaranteed health insurance coverage for all kids under 17 are being put on the table. 

2 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Agreed, thus the question. But I’m willing to listen when single payer and  guaranteed health insurance coverage for all kids under 17 are being put on the table. 

I'm willing to listen when those aren't on the table.   But when we shift 1.6 trillion from private spending on healthcare (plus whatever the states pay, plus whatever should be paid by those that skip it minus the efficiencies that are gained) to the federal government I'd want to pay for it rather than putting the burden on future generations.  So I don't care that the national sales tax is 50% or so to make this work, but it is also a tough sell for the masses who won't understand that this is still "revenue neutral" at the macro level.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:20 PM, Bruce Dickinson said:

Then I’d remove laws intended to make votes count as little as possible.  So that’s banning partisan gerrymandering, elimination of the Electoral College, expand the House of Representatives to equalize district sizes as much as possible.

Do you support the Congressional Apportionment Amendment to the Constitution, which has been approved by Congress and is now in the process of obtaining ratification by 3/4 of the state legislatures? (It’s been ratified by 11 states already, so it seems like it’s on track.)

I personally think it would be kind of fun to have ~6,500 members of the House of Representatives.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Do you support the Congressional Apportionment Amendment to the Constitution, which has been approved by Congress and is now in the process of obtaining ratification by 3/4 of the state legislatures? (It’s been ratified by 11 states already, so it seems like it’s on track.)

I personally think it would be kind of fun to have ~6,500 members of the House of Representatives.

I feel like the House is often already scraping the bottom of the barrel of humanity.  Do we really want 15x as many openings? At some point isn’t it like QB play if the NFL had 500 teams?

47 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I feel like the House is often already scraping the bottom of the barrel of humanity.  Do we really want 15x as many openings? At some point isn’t it like QB play if the NFL had 500 teams?

Not seeing the metaphor.  If the best talent that comes out of the combine is Louie Gohmert, you might have a point.

5 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Yes!  Been saying it for years.  Though not nearly as long as it's been pending.

8 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

I'm willing to listen when those aren't on the table.   But when we shift 1.6 trillion from private spending on healthcare (plus whatever the states pay, plus whatever should be paid by those that skip it minus the efficiencies that are gained) to the federal government I'd want to pay for it rather than putting the burden on future generations.  So I don't care that the national sales tax is 50% or so to make this work, but it is also a tough sell for the masses who won't understand that this is still "revenue neutral" at the macro level.

I'm fine with whatever the NST is in the new FairTax structure because yes we can't run trillion dollar deficits.

I don't know if I can throw a complete B.I.G. into the deal without something more back.  But its understood, right, that if there is a BIG that the social welfare net has been almost completely abolished, right?

15 hours ago, BAT1man said:
On 11/7/2018 at 8:10 PM, bostonfred said:

I agree with that, and appreciate the positive contribution, but again, I think that belongs in the conservative thread. 

Why is investment in infrastructure a conservative ideal?  This can and should be here in this thread.

Also - if both liberals and conservative want the same thing, that would potentially mean that it could happen

21 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I'm fine with whatever the NST is in the new FairTax structure because yes we can't run trillion dollar deficits.

I don't know if I can throw a complete B.I.G. into the deal without something more back.  But its understood, right, that if there is a BIG that the social welfare net has been almost completely abolished, right?

Yes, good bye to social welfare on the  spending side.  And while there would be debates as to what is social welfare I'd hope a rather expansive list would prevail.  However, with the FairTax we already replaced close to a trillion with the elimination of tax expenditures (home mortgage deduction, ESI deduction, etc.)..  

At some point I'll try to write up a comprehensive list of things I would want to be implemented, but I do have to say that I'm surprised Fair Tax is getting as much talk in here as it is. I've always viewed that as a very Libertarian idea for some reason (was Ron Paul promoting it at some point?) and personally I'm very against it, especially as a full on replacement of taxes on income. As others have stated, I feel that it makes the problem of wealth inequality worse rather than better, due to putting the burden of taxation more heavily on the poor and middle class houses that spend nearly all of their income. 

13 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Maybe, if the number of constituents was 200,000 instead of 30,000. I would prefer multi-member districts instead with proportional voting. Say about five reps per million-person district. Gives us about 1,600 in Congress.

7 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

That was a nice post you made in the other thread but we need single payer health care for all and what's the deal with the insistence on the giant military? I saw that you wanted their mission to change somewhat but the biggest military in the world by a huge margin still represents a threat to everybody else, no matter how you slice it.

4 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

At some point I'll try to write up a comprehensive list of things I would want to be implemented, but I do have to say that I'm surprised Fair Tax is getting as much talk in here as it is. I've always viewed that as a very Libertarian idea for some reason (was Ron Paul promoting it at some point?) and personally I'm very against it, especially as a full on replacement of taxes on income. As others have stated, I feel that it makes the problem of wealth inequality worse rather than better, due to putting the burden of taxation more heavily on the poor and middle class houses that spend nearly all of their income. 

FairTax as usually presented is rather conservative, rather regressive, and promoted with a bunch of :bs: such as we will be collecting taxes on the underground economies  [that we aren't collecting now].  But ultimately an income tax is just a consumption tax anyway in the sense that the income tax you pay is past on to our employers in the price they pay for our labor.  That is eventually passed on in the price of the final good or service is consumed.  What the income tax does is make the consumption tax higher on [US] labor intensive items as opposed to items that utilize less labor.   That is a big part of the "Fair" in its name (with being a fat tax the other part - the part you and I find unfair at least in a vacuum).  So in one way a consumption tax acts the same way as a tariff for foreign made goods assuming it removes income tax advantages. And on the flip side there are no taxes on stuff made here and then sold abroad. 

While free trade concerns are there, the main concern for us liberals is the regressive nature of a sales tax, of a flat tax.  This is replacing more than just the progressive income tax.  It also replaces the payroll tax which is rather regressive itself.   The FairTax people approach this in a similar way that the Forbe's Flat Tax addressed it.   Make the first $X of consumption tax free.  To accomplish this they create a monthly check to each family (I'd prefer individual) which pays the equivalent of the tax for poverty level purchases.   The fair tax people go nuts when you suggest it, but they fix in their minds the regressive nature with a tiny basic income guarantee.  BIG is a conservative idea also, at least until recently.  I don't think the FairTax BIG is big enough, but that is what some of the back and forth has been about.

Late to the party, but here are a few of mine:

For all politicians to put country before party. Treason and treason enablers should face firing squads.

Adhere to the Constitution. Stop attacking the press, don't pass laws based on Christian beliefs, and put the well-regulated in the 2A.

Don't take children from their parents when they seek asylum at our borders. Especially don't lose them when you do.

Don't enrich yourself off taxpayers. The swamp was supposed to be drained, not stocked.

Thous shall not attack the very institutions that are in place to protect us.

That's just a start

On 7/13/2018 at 3:23 PM, JamieMurphy said:

Late to the party, but here are a few of mine:

For all politicians to put country before party. Treason and treason enablers should face firing squads.

Adhere to the Constitution. Stop attacking the press, don't pass laws based on Christian beliefs, and put the well-regulated in the 2A.

Don't take children from their parents when they seek asylum at our borders. Especially don't lose them when you do.

Don't enrich yourself off taxpayers. The swamp was supposed to be drained, not stocked.

Thous shall not attack the very institutions that are in place to protect us.

That's just a start

I appreciate the effort and I understand that those things are upsetting, but I don't want a thread about "why are you upset with Trump".  I want to talk about the platform that liberals/democrats want as we approach the next election cycles. Plenty of other threads to discuss Trump (or Obama, or Hillary, or Bush).

Let's say we get Trump out of office.  What would you want the next president to do?  Or a Democrat controlled Congress? 

Posted (edited)

Not sure i'm a typical liberal, more likely I'm left of center but not too much.  But here goes:

I want first and foremost someone who makes decisions based on the best data and science out there.  This includes decisions on economics, as well as evidence around climate change, and more.

I want more funding for scientific research, investing in our future.

I want net neutrality, better consumer protections.

I want the leader to understand the shifting technological landscape and how that impacts the labor force.  Convene leaders from the industries and work to plan for a future where less jobs will be needed to produce everything we need.

Would love to have someone address the risks of artificial intelligence at a national level.

Single payer healthcare.

Progressive but not liberal SC justice nominations, along with other important judicial appointments.

Undo the tax cuts Trump put in place, and move toward a more reasonable tax structure that taxes the rich at a higher rate and lets the middle class off.

Want to tackle immigration reform.  We need immigrants, but we also need a better system that protects our borders and moves faster than it currently does.

We need to modernize our election process and secure our voting machines.  Need a nationwide push to improve security on almost all cyber-related activities.

With technology where it is, we need some type of program researching digital teaching using either mixed reality or VR.  If anyone has listened to the Great Courses, there is incredible benefit to having the best teachers in the world recorded, teaching subjects of interest to people.  Why not merge this into various programs for students across america?  Folks in struggling school districts could have access to the best teachers in the world.  Not sure exactly how this would work but it's overdue that we start looking at making it happen.

Need to strengthen our alliances with friendly nations, and do what we can to push back against totalitarians and dictators across the world, while trying to help folks in need as much as we can.

Increase our push to go to renewable or green energy.

Probably missing some really important ones, but these are things that just come to mind.

Edited by adonis
3 people like this

Clean energy initiatives.  Not gutting it like we have been in favor of fossil fuels.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:37 PM, bostonfred said:

I appreciate the effort and I understand that those things are upsetting, but I don't want a thread about "why are you upset with Trump".  I want to talk about the platform that liberals/democrats want as we approach the next election cycles. Plenty of other threads to discuss Trump (or Obama, or Hillary, or Bush).

Let's say we get Trump out of office.  What would you want the next president to do?  Or a Democrat controlled Congress? 

I'd like a serious effort at getting everyone health care that is affordable and is easily accessible. In a country as rich and prosperous as ours, no one should have to decide between paying rent or having medicine. No one should go bankrupt due to medical bills.

There are some things that simply should not be for-profit: health care. including medicine, education, and insurance. By insurance, I mean if you pay a policy for your home to be covered and a hurricane wipes it out, the insurance industry shouldn't screw you after sending all their profits to the Cayman Islands.

The one thing that should NEVER be for-profit is prisons. That is a travesty. End all for-profit prison contracts.

I'm still all about following the Constitution and not a warped and perverted version that fits one group's ideology.

Let's get some real immigration laws passed that are fair and realistic.

Legalize marijuana already. At the federal level. Release all the non-violent victims of the War on Drugs.

Let women make their own reproductive decisions and let the gays share the same rights as the hetero population. What someone does to their own body or in their bedroom should not be the government's business.

Not really a full blown liberal but I would like to see us spend close to the same amount we spend on prisoners on our K-12 students.