What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Door holding etiquette (1 Viewer)

Arizona Ron

Footballguy
Please stop standing in the doorway to hold it open for me.  EXAMPLE Just get out of the way, I don't want to go belly to belly with another man to get through a door.  

Why do so many people do this?   I'm at the point where I just ask people to move out of the way, some get annoyed with a "what's your problem" look. 

This is more annoying than someone holding the door when I'm several steps away.  I personally don't hold the door if I have to break stride unless someone clearly needs help with it (ADA, carrying boxes, etc.)

Am I alone here?

ETA: EXAMPLE

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona Ron said:
Please stop standing in the doorway to hold it open for me.  Just get out of the way, I don't want to go belly to belly with another man to get through a door.  

Why do so many people do this?   I'm at the point where I just ask people to move out of the way, some get annoyed with a "what's your problem" look. 

This is more annoying than someone holding the door when I'm several steps away.  I personally don't hold the door if I have to break stride unless someone clearly needs help with it (ADA, carrying boxes, etc.)

Am I alone here?
If you are going to hold the door, agreed, get out of the doorway.  I hold doors all the time, but not while standing in the doorway.

I also hate the people who hold the door while I'm a mile away and I have to decide if I should keep my current pace or speed up to get the door. I usually just keep my pace. 
Take your time. Also hold a phone to your ear like in you're in a conversation and never make eye contact with or acknowledge the person holding the door.

Arizona Ron said:
Please stop standing in the doorway to hold it open for me.  Just get out of the way, I don't want to go belly to belly with another man to get through a door.  

Why do so many people do this?   
You must be a "petite" man.  This never happens to me.

Arizona Ron said:

Am I alone here?
It is because you are a light skinned black that dresses well. Whitey figures they can show everyone they are not racist by holding the door for you and you will not shiv them on your way by.

You must be a "petite" man.  This never happens to me.
Neah, 6' , 209lbs as of this morning.  I think people are groomed to GTFO out of the way in NY especially in the city (side note, I had to explain to a new guy today that when someone living in NYC says "the city", they're referring to Manhattan.  He didn't get why one of his clients living in Staten Island kept referring to Manhattan like it wasn't the same city.  Kids these day).  

Maybe it's the amount of transplants moving in to the DC area that don't know city life. 

I always get a kick out of walking to lunch or a meeting or whatever with the guys in my office. There are 4 of us, we go through 4 doors on the way out of the building. Every time is a game of leapfrog.

You should never stand in the actual doorway unless it's a double door and someone's holding the other.  Like a church or something.  

If I hold, I am sure to be throw the door, besides my hand.  I make it in 1st, they don't have to touch a dirty handle.  Good deal.  If someone is carrying something, or an elderly person, it is acceptable to be completely out holding it open.

I have never seen anybody stand in the doorway while holding the door.  THAT might be my new schtick. 
Definitely seen it before. Imagine they are holding the door, but not necessarily letting you go in first. I think thats what they intend, but Ron cant pass up a belly to belly opportunity. 

I had an "I'm too far" moment with somebody about a year ago and decided to just forego the holding of doors. 

I was the holder.  :bag:

I dunno, I get out of the way and usually wind up with a procession of people coming through the door. Perhaps that's why they're in the doorway. To avoid that.  

Im gonna try holding the door open while they're too far away and , when they get there, continue to stand in the way and say, "you take it." When they grab the door, it's, "Thanks!" and I'll walk in.  

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone hold the door while still in doorway.  If I do encounter it, I’m not taking that awkward hot-tub invitation, they’ll just get a polite “you first, thanks”

I'm an admitted door holder if the person/people I'm holding the door open for are maybe 5 or less paces behind me.  I still don't understand what is meant about standing in the doorway as you hold it open though. If it's a pull door--you are holding it open standing way off to the side on the inner half of the door.  If it's a push door--I'm generally holding it open completely outside/behind the way that the door swings.   You can hold open a door without obstructing the path through it. 

I always get a kick out of walking to lunch or a meeting or whatever with the guys in my office. There are 4 of us, we go through 4 doors on the way out of the building. Every time is a game of leapfrog.
You should start holding the door while standing in the doorway... project your crotchal region slightly forward while doing so.  Once everyone is through, run to the next door and do it again.  Report back.

I'm an admitted door holder if the person/people I'm holding the door open for are maybe 5 or less paces behind me.  I still don't understand what is meant about standing in the doorway as you hold it open though. If it's a pull door--you are holding it open standing way off to the side on the inner half of the door.  If it's a push door--I'm generally holding it open completely outside/behind the way that the door swings.   You can hold open a door without obstructing the path through it. 
I think he's talking about a push door where the person pushes it open but doesn't pass through, then tells you to go while holding it.  At least, that's what I read into it.  There's a guy in my office that does this all the time.

I think he's talking about a push door where the person pushes it open but doesn't pass through, then tells you to go while holding it.  At least, that's what I read into it.  There's a guy in my office that does this all the time.
You are probably right. That makes sense although I really haven’t seen that happen. If I hold a push door open- I pass through and hold it open from the outside (away from the path of traffic through the door).  I could see how it’d be annoying if the door holder isn’t passing through before holding it open.

I might try to reenact this door scene, but rather than letting the other person walk past me in the doorway,  I’m going to quick close it on them and laugh maniacally.  

I also hate the people who hold the door while I'm a mile away and I have to decide if I should keep my current pace or speed up to get the door. I usually just keep my pace. 
If you're near a Wawa, stop in. People will hold the door for you from the gas pump. Some even stand there and hold it for multiple families like it's their job. Place is legendary for door holding. 

Users who are viewing this thread