Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigmarc27

Apple CarPlay/ adding to existing car

5 posts in this topic

We just bought a new 4Runner. The car is great, Toyota’s ETune system is meh. How difficult / expensive is it to switch to Apple CarPlay?  It’s got the touch screen and everything already installed. 

 

Im assuming it’s more than just a software change, but no clue how involved it actually would be.  Anyone done this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

We just bought a new 4Runner. The car is great, Toyota’s ETune system is meh. How difficult / expensive is it to switch to Apple CarPlay?  It’s got the touch screen and everything already installed. 

 

Im assuming it’s more than just a software change, but no clue how involved it actually would be.  Anyone done this?

I think the best (easiest) way to do that is to get a new receiver for the dash. If the sound is ok, then the speakers are probably good enough, you just need to install the receiver and be done with it. Most cars now have the Double Din box for the receiver, so taking the old one out and pop the new one in (Crutchfield says yours has the Double Din, so you should be set).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

I think the best (easiest) way to do that is to get a new receiver for the dash. If the sound is ok, then the speakers are probably good enough, you just need to install the receiver and be done with it. Most cars now have the Double Din box for the receiver, so taking the old one out and pop the new one in (Crutchfield says yours has the Double Din, so you should be set).

 

+1

Either DIY through Crutchfield or a local shop is your easiest option. Probably a $300-$500 depending on the head unit you decide upon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fishboy said:
54 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

I think the best (easiest) way to do that is to get a new receiver for the dash. If the sound is ok, then the speakers are probably good enough, you just need to install the receiver and be done with it. Most cars now have the Double Din box for the receiver, so taking the old one out and pop the new one in (Crutchfield says yours has the Double Din, so you should be set).

 

+1

Either DIY through Crutchfield or a local shop is your easiest option. Probably a $300-$500 depending on the head unit you decide upon. 

:goodposting:Crutchfield is great. You tell them make, model and year, and they will give you everything you need. (Or at least they used to!! ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:blackdot:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.