What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Daniel Simpkins

Footballguy
You guys probably know the deal by now -- after a hiatus, we're bringing the Player Spotlight threads back to the Shark Pool. For those who are new around here, the Player Spotlights are one of the main features on the site during the preseason. They're in-depth looks at key players, including pros and cons, and our staff projections. For years, we also included the best commentary from the Shark Pool. A few years ago, activity in the Pool died down and commentary fell off, but we have confidence in a resurgence.

So here's the deal. Discuss your thoughts about the player in question. We'll pick the best comments from the bunch and use them (and give you credit) in the published articles.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina

The Panthers made the playoffs in a tough division last year, but made a quick exit against the New Orleans Saints. Frustration directed at Cam Newton, particularly in regard to his accuracy began to surface in newspaper article and on social media sites. The Panthers have made some changes, including adding Norv Turner to replace Mike Shula. How do you see this year shaking out for Newton with a new offensive coordinator? Can Christian McCaffrey and C.J. Anderson finally get a consistent ground attack going? Can Funchess continue to take steps forward to reach his potential? this Will the addition of D.J. Moore make a sizeable impact in year one? 

Let's discuss!

You guys probably know the deal by now -- after a hiatus, we're bringing the Player Spotlight threads back to the Shark Pool. For those who are new around here, the Player Spotlights are one of the main features on the site during the preseason. They're in-depth looks at key players, including pros and cons, and our staff projections. For years, we also included the best commentary from the Shark Pool. A few years ago, activity in the Pool died down and commentary fell off, but we have confidence in a resurgence.

So here's the deal. Discuss your thoughts about the player in question. We'll pick the best comments from the bunch and use them (and give you credit) in the published articles.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina

The Panthers made the playoffs in a tough division last year, but made a quick exit against the New Orleans Saints. Frustration directed at Cam Newton, particularly in regard to his accuracy began to surface in newspaper article and on social media sites. The Panthers have made some changes, including adding Norv Turner to replace Mike Shula. How do you see this year shaking out for Newton with a new offensive coordinator? Can Christian McCaffrey and C.J. Anderson finally get a consistent ground attack going? Can Funchess continue to take steps forward to reach his potential? this Will the addition of D.J. Moore make a sizeable impact in year one? 

Let's discuss!
Tough year for him but yeah he still made the playoffs.  He had no receiving help and his oline was probably as bad as its ever been.  I guess they upgraded a bit but still not sure if its enough to give him time in the pocket.  Fantasy wise he probably isnt a top tier QB IMO.  That could easily change if the new wr's mesh with him, the oline gets healthy and finds their mojo and Norv's offense caters to his strength.  A lot of "ifs" so I probably would put him in a holding pattern come draft time

I think there is an opportunity here with Cam at his current ADP to realize some real value.  FFC has Newton (QB7) being drafted only 9 slots ahead of Kirk Cousins (QB8).

Consider that Newton outrushed Derrick Henry (yards &TD’s) - 754/6 to 744/5 while really holding back during the first 5 games of the season coming off shoulder surgery (29/90/2).

His 2015 MVP season does feel like the exception in his career stat line.  But his floor week-to-week is so consistently high still.  This year, he gets a healthy Olsen, a 1st round toy in Moore and a more experienced CMC.  A lot to like here.

TheDirtyWord said:
I think there is an opportunity here with Cam at his current ADP to realize some real value.  FFC has Newton (QB7) being drafted only 9 slots ahead of Kirk Cousins (QB8).

Consider that Newton outrushed Derrick Henry (yards &TD’s) - 754/6 to 744/5 while really holding back during the first 5 games of the season coming off shoulder surgery (29/90/2).

His 2015 MVP season does feel like the exception in his career stat line.  But his floor week-to-week is so consistently high still.  This year, he gets a healthy Olsen, a 1st round toy in Moore and a more experienced CMC.  A lot to like here.
I agree with this. Newton is perpetually underrated, other than going into 2016. He's my QB3, and I could easily see him being QB1. My dislike of the Norv hire, is the only real flaw I see.

I expect a year similar to last year, where he finished as QB2 in my leagues, with the potential for better passing numbers due to Olsen's return, and more big plays, as Newton was arguably more conservative as a passer than he's ever been before. 

I want to buy into Cam this year really bad but the O-line has me scared. Was already a bottom tier unit and now will be without their best linemen (RT Williams) for at least the 1st half of the season and maybe all of it.

I do think the busted pocket can result in some nice rushing attempts but not a good sign overall for the productivity of the offense.

Users who are viewing this thread