Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The General

Sacha Baron Cohen’s new show

On 7/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, Sheriff Bart said:

Just like when you get tricked when the girl you brought home from the bar has more down below than you bargained for, you just roll with it. 

I thought we agreed we wouldn’t talk about it!

On 7/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, TobiasFunke said:

He also plays to cheap stereotypes.  He's far from perfect, and honestly sometimes not that funny.

But so long as he targets politicians, especially those that have been supportive of or benefited from the work of James O'Keefe and Project Veritas? God bless.

I like Cohen and find his stuff to normally be pretty funny but since you brought up O'Keefe isn't Cohen employing the same tactics everyone derides O'Keefe for? Elaborate set ups and selective editing?

13 minutes ago, JuniorGong said:

I like Cohen and find his stuff to normally be pretty funny but since you brought up O'Keefe isn't Cohen employing the same tactics everyone derides O'Keefe for? Elaborate set ups and selective editing?

Yes and no. Some of the principles are the same, which is why I said I particularly like it when he goes after people who like or support or benefit from O'Keefe's work because they're in no position to complain. Roy Moore obviously comes to mind

But the people Cohen is speaking with know that they're on camera and on the record. That's a huge difference. I think many people's problem with O'Keefe is that his targets often don't know they're being recorded. When someone has activated the "on camera, on the record" filter that all normal people should have and they still say something racist or controversial or idiotic, it's a lot harder to feel sorry for the target or angry at the person who snookered them.

Also Cohen's stuff, or at least the portion of his stuff that I enjoy and that gets attention, punches up. When Cohen doesn't punch up it's often unfunny and cringe-worthy IMO.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 2

First episode was pretty good, and there have been one or two good bits per episode, but it’s reminding me of everything else he does: one or two great belly laughs and a whole lot of cringing.   Not generally how I enjoy spending my time. 

I can't believe the #### he does with a straight face, never mind in character.  The guy is unbelievable.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

If I was handed a transcript, I wouldn't believe it.

If I was told about this, I wouldn't believe it.

Since I saw it, I can't believe it.

Is the word "transcript" appropriate anymore?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

If I was handed a transcript, I wouldn't believe it.

If I was told about this, I wouldn't believe it.

Since I saw it, I can't believe it.

Is the word "transcript" appropriate anymore?

Cohen must do a series of legit unboxing videos in character.  I showed the intro to my 8 yo before Arpaio appears and he bent over laughing. 

4 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

My ranking of the episodes so far: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4.

I liked 2 better than 1, and while 3 mostly fell flat and was mostly cringe-worthy it probably had the best single moment of all the episodes thus far (when the cops showed up at the quinceanera).

44 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I liked 2 better than 1, and while 3 mostly fell flat and was mostly cringe-worthy it probably had the best single moment of all the episodes thus far (when the cops showed up at the quinceanera).

and the rap at the end.  

45 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Agree with you on 2 being the best episode. Especially the Jason Spencer and Kingman bits. 

Finally gave this a watch last night.  The Bernie Sanders one was not funny at all and fell flat.  Then I watched the next one where he was dining with some conservative couple.  Just rehashed material from his older shows, IMO.  I turned it off.  I liked his old show on HBO 10 years or so ago and think he's a genius, but I didn't find anything funny about this current iteration.  Will not bother to revisit. 

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Finally gave this a watch last night.  The Bernie Sanders one was not funny at all and fell flat.  Then I watched the next one where he was dining with some conservative couple.  Just rehashed material from his older shows, IMO.  I turned it off.  I liked his old show on HBO 10 years or so ago and think he's a genius, but I didn't find anything funny about this current iteration.  Will not bother to revisit. 

I agree with your assessment of the 1st episode, but you really should check out the 2nd episode before disregarding as it's far superior.

Edited by mr fancypants

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

There are a lot of really stupid bits but each episode has at least one legit laugh out loud segment. You didn’t get far enough in the episode

Cohen would be better off just doing 1-2 specials a year. At times he seems to do too much of the same routine and just gets stale for a regular show.