What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you tell someone bad news while they are on vacation? (1 Viewer)

Do you feel like you have to deliver bad news face to face?

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 84.7%

• Total voters

Max Power

Footballguy
A person I care about is on vacation until Sunday and I have some news that will most likely bother her during her trip. No one died, and this is more of an 8-9 out a ten on the scale of bad.

Some decisions are going to have to be made when she gets back and I'm conflicted if I should tell her and potentially ruin her good time or wait until she gets back and have to make a decision on short notice. 

I'm looking for some opinions here.

A person I care about is on vacation until Sunday and I have some news that will most likely bother her during her trip. No one died, and this is more of an 8-9 out a ten on the scale of bad.

Some decisions are going to have to be made when she gets back and I'm conflicted if I should tell her and potentially ruin her good time or wait until she gets back and have to make a decision on short notice. 

If it is not life or death or if she is going to lose employment if not notified then it can wait a week.

How many days until she gets home?

< 5 I'd wait.

Eta: didn't see "Sunday" until a second look. Definitely wait. Something that would be considered short notice on Sunday is damn near the same today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a "depends" option is in order for both questions, as it depends what the bad news is.  

If it was something that needed my attention during the vacation or I could have helped/prevented something and I would be pissed if I wasn't contacted.   We are talking death, somebody or pet dying, maybe somebody in big legal trouble?   Everything else I would probably have appreciated being able to enjoy my vacation and being told when I got back.  

I really want to avoid details here and I know that makes this so gray that it's hard to place an answer. 

It's a family member who has revieled suicide aspirations. 

That's all I want to say about it. 

I really want to avoid details here and I know that makes this so gray that it's hard to place an answer. 

It's a family member who has revieled suicide aspirations. 

That's all I want to say about it. 
If it's a new thing, say something.

If this person has had suicidal thoughts in the past, wait till they get back.  

If her spouse is cheating on her then I think it best you tell her while she's away ...

so she can hook up and get some payback.

Adding to my above answer: if this is a close family member that is having suicide thoughts, this is a cry for help. And if the family member on vacation is someone who can help answer that cry for help, you call her.

If you reject that person's cry for help, it just reinforces to them their suicide thoughts and could lead to something bad. 

Pretty difficult to give an answer here. Say the person on vacation is your Sister and the person expressing suicidal thoughts is their child (your niece or nephew). Then I would say you have to tell your Sister now. In other scenarios I might suggest waiting until she returns from vacation.

It is difficult to give a definitive answer with the details provided. I can understand you not wanting to reveal more details, so maybe you should consult family and close friends rather than a message board.

Pretty difficult to give an answer here. Say the person on vacation is your Sister and the person expressing suicidal thoughts is their child (your niece or nephew). Then I would say you have to tell your Sister now. In other scenarios I might suggest waiting until she returns from vacation.

It is difficult to give a definitive answer with the details provided. I can understand you not wanting to reveal more details, so maybe you should consult family and close friends rather than a message board.
Sometimes the third party is the most enlightened 

To me, anything related to a suicide is a full alarm 10. 
Couldn't disagree more.  Completely depends on the situation (their history) and who it is.  In many of these cases giving any attention makes the problem worse.  

But again, without any actual information, impossible to know what the OP is dealing with here.  

I'd make it easy for you and don't answer my phone while on vacation so you wouldn't be able to get a hold of me anyway.  Nothing I can do about it anyways 5000 miles away.

Translation: Wait.  If it isn't something that they would cancel the rest of their vacation for and come home it isn't worth telling them.

Any particular reason you can't be more detailed?  Otherwise, really, this is mostly pointless.  People actually WANT to try and help here.

Cant ya just her her a new cat that looks just like the dead one before she gets home?
:hot:  the last bad news we got on vacation was that our dog died. 

The 13yo watching her told her mom and dad (of course) and her mom called my wife. We didn't tell the kids until we were on the way home. 

In this case I think I'd wait unless it's her child. 

Wait.

I was at Disney with my kids and my work didn't tell me I was getting laid off till I got back. Of course I saw it on the news the day I got back before they called me. 

But the vacation was nice.

For anything suicide related you have to tell close friends and family right away. They will need to make their own decisions about how to react to the news, but you can't withhold information for any amount of time. They need to be given an opportunity to know and take any action they feel necessary

First, I'd like to apologize for this suicide news. I'm sorry to hear this. Suicide is no joke. My apologies to you and your family. Hope the person can receive help. Hope your family is doing alright during this tough time. Really sorry to hear this news man.

If you were in this person's shoes (the person on vacation), would you want to be told now or wait until the vacation is over? 

Is the situation stable? Somewhat stable? Completely in flux? 

We're all different. You know the person and you'll have to infer your decision based on that info.

Me, I'd be fine either way if I were the person on vacation. If they told me, I'd understand the situation is more important than having fun on a vacation. If a family member is considering suicide, I don't care if I'm on the greatest vacation on Earth. My vacation isn't nearly as important on the priority list as a family member considering suicide. That comes first. 

If they didn't tell me, I wouldn't hold it against them. I wouldn't be mad at them. They didn't decide to not tell me for some malicious reason. Perhaps they may say "I didn't want to ruin your vacation," and I'd understand where they're coming from. I wouldn't hold any negative feelings at all towards them 

Overall, I'd put myself in their shoes and try to understand why they decided what they did. And even if I would've handled it differently, I wouldn't hold anything against them. For me, the most important thing would be getting the person considering suicide help immediately. Not getting upset that my vacation is ruined or mad at the family member for not telling me sooner. Neither are helping the situation. Neither are working towards the ultimate goal of getting help for the person considering suicide. The person considering suicide comes first. Not me. 

Some things are better to tell someone in person. Lots of "it depends" with this one. 

I have 2 guesses (and my guesses could be wrong):

A. The situation isn't stable. Considering Sunday is less than 72 hours away, the fact that this is a question in your head tells me the situation is very serious and extremely immediate and you're wondering whether it can really wait 72 hours or not. It must be seriously immediate enough to the point that you're questioning whether it can wait. Sunday isn't far away and it's a debate in your head whether to tell them now or in less than 72 hours.

B. You're unsure of how the person is going to respond. If you had a solid idea of how the person would respond, this likely wouldn't be a question. 

Bottom line, you know the situation best. You know the parties involved best. Whatever decision you make, explain to the person why you made it. Apologize to them ("I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner"/"I'm sorry I'm ruining your vacation"), explain the situation you're in ("I didn't know what to do and didn't want to ruin your vacation but also didn't want you to be mad at me for waiting"), and explain why you made the decision that you made ("If i were in your shoes, I'd want the person to tell me/not tell me. That's what I based my decision on, but if I decided wrong, I apologize. I simply didn't know a better way to decide how to do this"). If the person is upset with your decision, don't get defensive. Explain, but don't be defensive. Don't escalate it if the person gets angry with your decision. Remain calm. Take ownership.  And understand that you don't control her response and can't possibly read her mind to know her response in advance, so don't beat yourself up.

Good luck mate. I hope the family member considering suicide gets the necessary help. Sorry to hear this again man. Tough situation. 

Max Power said:

If it's not life or death or something that needs immediate handling then you wait till she comes back. Text or call her and say we need to meet in person I need to tell you something after she's back. Maybe wait a few hrs let her unpack and everything before breaking the bad news. I feel telling people bad news in person is way better if it's something pretty bad unless there is no way you can meet in person. 

Reading more and what you said about the situation though this is gonna depend on a few factors 

1) History of this person with these thought? 

If this is something new then I contact her if it's close family. If this is something that is "Normal" I wait. My Uncle is Bi-Polar and has done some stupid stuff including suicidal tendancies but never acing on them. Most of the time he does stuff just so the attention is solely on him

2) Does this person have other issues like stated above my Uncle Is Bi Polar

If so depends on the other issues

3) How old and how close of a family member?

Is it a child or brother or sister or father or mother? If not I think it could wait

4) Is said person in a safe place now receiving medication and help needed to prevent this?

If no maybe a heads up is something to do

5) Will this person be able to help in a big way?

If Yes and the impact can be immediate I tell her

If this person has issues and does things like this for attention on them all the time I wouldn't say anything till she got back honestly. Some people have issues but also know how to use those issues to try to get attention on them. My uncle will sometimes do stuff at parties like go off by himself, act like he's not having fun and other things just so he can get attention on him. My aunt and him just had their first child (Already had issues with how to name her) and my families fear is he's gonna get upset with the family paying attention to my new cousin then him. My cousin is our first female cousin. Technically she's not as my Uncle Godfather had a baby out of wedlock and put her up for adoption. She's older then my cousin who's 33 and me who's now 30 but we've never met or heard or seen pictures of her and kind of had been a family secrete not known to the 7 cousins for yrs until maybe 2-3 yrs before my pop-pop died. For now though my Grandma has her first granddaughter she can see and that could cause some attention issues with my Uncle/My cousins father. 

Insein said:
Wait.

I was at Disney with my kids and my work didn't tell me I was getting laid off till I got back. Of course I saw it on the news the day I got back before they called me. 

But the vacation was nice.
Kind of stinks when your company is that big you know on the news. Felt the same way with A&P. Our Store Directors and everyone tried hiding it from employees about the bankruptcy both times. The 2nd one though everyone found out because it broke on the news and people already got a hold of it. As usual though there was already rumblings it was gonna happen so when the news broke we weren't surprised. 

northern exposure said:
You getting laid off made the TV news? 
My company laid off 600 people... So yea. And they aren't a very popular pharm company.

Suicide is a very serious topic, but unfortunately it is also something some people throw out there to get attention, and ruining someone's vacation would cater to that...

Depends on the vacation too.  If this is a wealthy person who vacations a week every month, then tell them.  If it is a regular person who gets 1 week a year, then I probably wouldn't ruin it.

sports_fan said:
For anything suicide related you have to tell close friends and family right away. They will need to make their own decisions about how to react to the news, but you can't withhold information for any amount of time. They need to be given an opportunity to know and take any action they feel necessary
There are no absolutes or blanket statements you can make like this when it comes to suicide. It is a very complex issue and each situation varies greatly due to a variety of factors. 

Users who are viewing this thread