What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why can't scarlett johannson play a transgendered man? (1 Viewer)

Btw.   Did you mind robert downey jr playing a black man in tropic thunder.    When i saw the movie i didnt know it was him.    I wasnt paying attention,   my daughter was watching it and i missed the banter between the actual black actor and him.   At the end i was impressed.   

Btw.   Did you mind robert downey jr playing a black man in tropic thunder.    When i saw the movie i didnt know it was him.    I wasnt paying attention,   my daughter was watching it and i missed the banter between the actual black actor and him.   At the end i was impressed.   
He wasn't playing a black man in tropic thunder

I had this exact conversation last week with a group youngsters and I was told no she can't play a transgendered person. I don't get it either. What's next? The actor playing the Elephant Man has to have elephantiasis? I was told that role needs to go to somebody who is transgendered. Apparently the plight of the transgendered actor is high on the list for young people.

I had this exact conversation last week with a group youngsters and I was told no she can't play a transgendered person. I don't get it either. What's next? The actor playing the Elephant Man has to have elephantiasis? I was told that role needs to go to somebody who is transgendered. Apparently the plight of the transgendered actor is high on the list for young people.
The green light was probably given because she was in it.   Movie probably doesnt get made now.

I mean ScarJo can play a transgendered man but it seems fair to let a transgendered actress play it. I agree though that the viability movie often depends on the stars. 

The movie would never get made though. Or if it was made the budget would be next to nothing. And who would go see it?
I agreed with that. People are still allowed to criticize it and when the target audience is transgendered people and those that might sympathize with it, it’s a good idea to make a movie that community will support. That’s not always easy and a lot of it falls on us the audience.

That the hue and cry about the movie is the starring of Scarlett Johansson, she of the ballpoint pen tattoos on her skin, instead of an authentic she-male in a major motion picture about a transgender male in a movie being called Rub and Tug is all you need to know about the direction of Minerva and her bleats in our society. 

Good luck, folks.  We're dead.  

Its crap like this why im glad to be out of touch with twitter/etc.  There are a lot worse things  people should be upset about 
People can be upset about more than one thing at a time. Also, if making a movie about a transgendered person, it’s probably a good idea to do so in such a way that the community will support it. The issue has less to do imo with this one particular role and more to do with the overall discrimination and lack of representation that trans people feel. I don’t want to debate whether they deserve it or whatever but it’s a fact that they don’t get roles. The only way that’s going to change is through them exercising their voice. I know people say that a big star is needed to fund a projextvnext like this, while that’s somewhat true, there are other roles in the film to cast bigger names. 

Also this isn’t the first ScarJo and this director have taken heat for their casting.

I can’t believe they let Tom Hanks get away with playing a gay man in Philadelphia.
That’s different because gay people have always been allowed to play straight people in movies. That’s been going on as long as there have been movies. Are they casting trans people in cis roles? I don’t think so- they just aren’t casting them at all which is the realm issue here.

This world has gone completely bonkers.  

That’s different because gay people have always been allowed to play straight people in movies. That’s been going on as long as there have been movies. Are they casting trans people in cis roles? I don’t think so- they just aren’t casting them at all which is the realm issue here.
Hollywood is a business, I’m not aware of any well known trans actors. Boys Don’t Cry and Dallas Buyers Club were both movies that I believe most agree helped to advance awareness and acceptance of trans folks. Are we saying it was wrong those movies were made because they would have never seen wide release without the stars that were in them.

Woah

Why does it seem fair?
We typically don’t let transgendered people play non-transgendered people so for those actors/actresses to have any shot of breaking through, it needs to be a transgendered role.

Maybe fair isn’t the most precise word.

We typically don’t let transgendered people play non-transgendered people so for those actors/actresses to have any shot of breaking through, it needs to be a transgendered role.

Maybe fair isn’t the most precise word.
How do you know this and how many trans actor(s) are out there?   Just seems like some upside down logic you are using.

Hollywood is a business, I’m not aware of any well known trans actors. Boys Don’t Cry and Dallas Buyers Club were both movies that I believe most agree helped to advance awareness and acceptance of trans folks. Are we saying it was wrong those movies were made because they would have never seen wide release without the stars that were in them.
It’s not wrong but at some point we have to keep moving forward. In the 50s/60s we basically had 2 black actors that received leading level roles. Most often they were cast in films where moshav everyone else was right. That was a good step forward from just ignoring black people in films but we had to keep moving forward. Making movies with mostly black casts, black writers, etc.

Why was it ok for Jeffrey Tambor and Felicity Huffman to play transgender people in critically acclaimed roles and not Scarlett Johansson?

Why was it ok for Jeffrey Tambor and Felicity Huffman to play transgender people in critically acclaimed roles and not Scarlett Johansson?
The trans community wasn’t happy about that either. They wished trans actors/actresses were cast in those roles.

It’s not wrong but at some point we have to keep moving forward. In the 50s/60s we basically had 2 black actors that received leading level roles. Most often they were cast in films where moshav everyone else was right. That was a good step forward from just ignoring black people in films but we had to keep moving forward. Making movies with mostly black casts, black writers, etc.
Why would you compare black people to trans? 

Read up on it, it’s an issue with plenty of articles already written.
I am good.  I really dont care to learn more.  This is such a stupid issue to start with on about 17 different levels.  By only giving this role to a trans you just set yourself up for the proverbial onslaught that will start. 

And yes Hollywood is a business. They cast a role and a large part of their potential audience didn’t like the casting so it’s chsnging. That’s how business works-responding to the consumers.

I am good.  I really dont care to learn more.  This is such a stupid issue to start with on about 17 different levels.  By only giving this role to a trans you just set yourself up for the proverbial onslaught that will start. 
Then why all the posts in here?

And yes Hollywood is a business. They cast a role and a large part of their potential audience didn’t like the casting so it’s chsnging. That’s how business works-responding to the consumers.
Scarlett dropped out, no? It is my understanding this wasn’t a studio decision. I doubt the movie gets made now with anywhere near the same budget.

Then why all the posts in here?
I saw Scarlett in the title and wanted to see what the story was.  In short it was pretty much as I expected and its taken about a total of 1 minute of my time posting with you.  Not a big deal.  There is just too much "outrage" from everyone these days.  Its getting pretty insane when an actress cannot well you know act.  Like I said the world has gone bonkers

Users who are viewing this thread