What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bortles/Miller/McCoy (1 Viewer)

BigJonE300

Footballguy
I'm in an extremely deep 18-team PPR dynasty league.  We keep 5 with no more than 2 at any position.  We start 1-QB, 1-RB, 1-WR, 1-TE and 3-flex.  I've got my WRs locked in with OBJ and Theilen and my QB is Watson.  The questions come about when looking to tab my last two keepers given the latest controversy around Shady.  I've got McCoy, Lamar Miller, Ertz and Bortles as options.  I was planning on rolling with McCoy and Ertz while drafting a young RB or two before the news broke.  Now, I'm really undecided.  Bortles was QB12 last year and QB10 in 2016 with our scoring system.  In a league with 18-teams not everyone is going to have a backup that actually starts for his NFL team so he's got some value here.  I am not sure I want to deal with the uncertainty that could be hanging over Shady's head this season.  Ertz is a stud so he's almost certainly going to take up one of the last two spots.  So do I keep a second QB who I've won the league in the past, or roll the dice with Miller or McCoy?  It's worth noting that WRs can carry a team in this league. There are going to be nothing but rookies or change-of-pace type of backs to draft from and I'm picking 15th (had a solid season LY, won the previous).

Take Ertz of your “maybe” list. In an 18 team league you have a significant advantage at TE with him. He’s a for sure keeper. So, 1 left for the other 3. 

McCoy, easy drop. 30 years old, bad OL, no passing game. His FF outlook is due to fall off regardless of the current off field issue. The off field stuff makes it easy. Maybe you’ll get lucky and someone else will draft him in the first and push down a better player.

Bortles, I understand why you would want to keep him but I think you need to be all in on Watson. If Watson stays healthy then you only get 1 week out of Bortles (on the bye). QBs may be tough to come by but I’m guessing RBs are as well. Miller at least fills the positional requirement. Plus, if Watson is playing well Miller is probably doing alright too. I’d gamble with Miller. 

Keep Ertz for sure. If you like your team this year keep Miller. Bortles does have a sweet end of season schedule but I'm betting you can pick him up in your draft cheap. McCoy simply has too much risk at this point in time.

Ertz is an easy answer, after that I would look to make a move (if you can trade right now). Do you  have a 3rd receiver that most teams would keep, but you can't? Deal him to a team with 3 running backs that can't keep them all. Do you have a 2nd tight end you could keep instead? Could you trade OBJ to team that has a receiver and running back they can't keep and have to throw back?

Ertz is an easy answer, after that I would look to make a move (if you can trade right now). Do you  have a 3rd receiver that most teams would keep, but you can't? Deal him to a team with 3 running backs that can't keep them all. Do you have a 2nd tight end you could keep instead? Could you trade OBJ to team that has a receiver and running back they can't keep and have to throw back?
We have to declare our keepers and cut the rest before we can trade.  It keeps some parity in the league, while at the same time being a bit punishing to the owners with foresight to pick up talent.  Trading would have made that very easy.  I cut Hogan and Woods, and there are teams that would have kept them.

I agree with Ertz, he's no longer a maybe.  I love my defensive keepers (IDP) and I'm one of the few who takes advantage of their value.

At this point I feel McCoy is out, so it's down to Miller or Bortles.  I forgot that I traded my first round pick as part of my deal to get Theilen.  Given that, I'm strongly leaning Miller now because of position scarcity.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

I would keep a back, but when do you have to declare your keepers by? Do you have time to wait out the McCoy situation and see what happens? If you have to declare like now then keep Miller.

I would keep a back, but when do you have to declare your keepers by? Do you have time to wait out the McCoy situation and see what happens? If you have to declare like now then keep Miller.
I've got to declare before the first Veterans report to training camp.  Baltimore reports on the 18th this year so I've only got a couple of days.  I wish I had a bit more time.

I've got to declare before the first Veterans report to training camp.  Baltimore reports on the 18th this year so I've only got a couple of days.  I wish I had a bit more time.
Bummer, I would hold out until the 18th, but the odds of finding something out about the McCoy before the 18th are almost 0 percent.

It sounds like this McCoy thing has legs. He could be the next Ray Rice. Also, Buff is looking for another RB. I don't think that would be happening if there weren't legit fears about McCoy's future

For this year, I keep Ertz and McCoy and look at replacing McCoy next year. Likely with a RB you draft this year. It's a solid class with lots of guys who should see fantasy relevance almost out of the gate.

I decided to roll the dice and keep McCoy.  So I have Watson, McCoy, OBJ, Theilen and Ertz coming back.  Still unsure about it, but some of the information that came out leading up to our cut deadline seems to have cast some doubt.  I wish I didn't have to make that decision.

Users who are viewing this thread