What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are romantic relationships with a Co worker good or bad? Unprofessional? (1 Viewer)

Is Dating a person higher up Professional or Unprofessional

• Yes Highly unprofessional

Votes: 39 29.8%
  • No it's profession

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • It depends on who and what your Jobs are

Votes: 83 63.4%

• Total voters

DJackson10

Footballguy
Are romantic relationships with a Co worker good or bad? Unprofessional? And is dating a higher up Unprofessional or Professional?

I ask for a few reasons I work in Retail at a ACME so We've had a few people in relationships at work. My Floral manager and her husband worked together for yrs in operate departments. He's now at another store as a Produce Manager. My Deli Manager's husband is a Store director at another store at the Same store as my Floral Managers husband. My New Assistant Manager (Who I went to school with and friends with) had a relationship with one of our Cashiers for a few yrs but broke it off. All of these relationships seemed ok for me. 

However We had an intern last year who is now an Assistant Store director. She technically works at another store but filling in at my store. until my Assistant manager who is working to learn a new system for the company comes back. She's about 6 yrs younger then me btw  We weren't sure if it'd be ok if we started possible dating or making attempts to see if more then just being really good co worker friends or not would work. I think she already knows I like her but I feel she only thinks its just like some sort of HS crush and is just flattered by it. People already kind of tease me about liking her. She is probably at my store for another 2 or so months before going back to our store. I work beer and wine btw but occasionally do other jobs in the store and she kind of already goes to me for important jobs needing done already. I also know some of the higher ups pretty well from my District Manager and my co Vice President who's wife invited me to their 4th of July party a message she said was being asked by her husband for me to join them. I'm also good friends with our Regions President who reward me $100 and I have his business card. So I don't think it'd look like I was being a suck up to get a higher advantage at work. People always from other stores come to help our store and we send people to their stores for help ad everyone I work with from other stores wants me at their store as well do to my work ethic.  

Are romantic relationships with a Co worker good or bad? Unprofessional? And is dating a higher up Unprofessional or Professional?

I ask for a few reasons I work in Retail at a ACME so We've had a few people in relationships at work. My Floral manager and her husband worked together for yrs in operate departments. He's now at another store as a Produce Manager. My Deli Manager's husband is a Store director at another store at the Same store as my Floral Managers husband. My New Assistant Manager (Who I went to school with and friends with) had a relationship with one of our Cashiers for a few yrs but broke it off. All of these relationships seemed ok for me. 

However We had an intern last year who is now an Assistant Store director. She technically works at another store but filling in at my store. until my Assistant manager who is working to learn a new system for the company comes back. She's about 6 yrs younger then me btw  We weren't sure if it'd be ok if we started possible dating or making attempts to see if more then just being really good co worker friends or not would work. I think she already knows I like her but I feel she only thinks its just like some sort of HS crush and is just flattered by it. People already kind of tease me about liking her. She is probably at my store for another 2 or so months before going back to our store. I work beer and wine btw but occasionally do other jobs in the store and she kind of already goes to me for important jobs needing done already. I also know some of the higher ups pretty well from my District Manager and my co Vice President who's wife invited me to their 4th of July party a message she said was being asked by her husband for me to join them. I'm also good friends with our Regions President who reward me $100 and I have his business card. So I don't think it'd look like I was being a suck up to get a higher advantage at work. People always from other stores come to help our store and we send people to their stores for help ad everyone I work with from other stores wants me at their store as well do to my work ethic.  
I think you should forget about the young Assistant Store Director and pursue the bolded relationship further.  Report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should forget about the young Assistant Store Director and pursue the bolded relationship further.  Report back.
LOL Dude I would if I knew it was just her but I have a great relationship with my VP. I even asked their son who works with us and he said that came from his dad. However she is a good looking women

It's fun but usually not worth it. 
My co worker now at the other store who's married to the Floral manager doesn't wear the pants anymore in the relationship for the most part. She's a real bi*** but if you get on her good sign it's generally worth it. My Store Director has no balls when it comes to her that the running joke is she runs the store not him. With her husband it's always Hunny do this and hunny do that and can you pick up our daughter? The one day he just got done catching a shoplifter and he's really good friends with the store director at their store so they went to Picas (Popular Pizza place Tina Fey Brought pizza from there to the show for Fallon when she was on) and his wife texted him about doing something. He basically BS'd her with honey I'm tied up at work I had two call outs and we got the DM coming in. I might be late coming home. He hung up and the SD was like you might want to either turn off your phone or your location finder so she doesn't know you just lied to her. Seriously she'd look it up. 

Overall I've gotten mixed reviews. Also my Back up manager in my department is dating my Front End manager now so it's a lot of different relationships being juggled. Not to mention my co worker with the drug attic who use to work there. I probably shouldn't care if I date the young AM though because it's not like we don't already hang out to begin with either. 

It depends. What's harder to find - a hookup or a new job? 
Id be fine getting a job. My deli managers Husband who is a SD wants me there. Job wise I may not get as good but I could go work part time at the Game Stop I use to work and with my RAMP Training my One manager's wife owns an Irish pub in the area she'd happily let me work in. And for me it's mostly the hook up. 

My wife of 34 years and I became first involved as co-workers so I'll vote for good idea. When it works out its a good idea. I think you can learn a lot about another person first observing them in office situations regarding things like how they treat other people, handle stress and responsibility etc.

Working in the same office also allowed me to intervene when I learned she was being sexually harassed by her supervisor.

When it doesn't work out you can have ongoing friction if either party doesn't want to let go of the relationship.

I think they're great.  I met my wife of 25 years while we were co-workers.

Of course it was McDonald's and we were 16, but we did meet while both waiting for fries to come up for impatient customers. 

It can work out, but I've seen / investigated so many of these over the years that turned badly that I'd avoid them. Especially if there's a power dynamic at play.  Our employer has specific rules about fraternizing. 

Co workers in completely different offices could be fine. 

DJackson10 said:
LOL Dude I would if I knew it was just her but I have a great relationship with my VP. I even asked their son who works with us and he said that came from his dad. However she is a good looking women
I typically stay away from ladies with split personalities.  

Moonlight said:
My wife of 34 years and I became first involved as co-workers so I'll vote for good idea. When it works out its a good idea. I think you can learn a lot about another person first observing them in office situations regarding things like how they treat other people, handle stress and responsibility etc.

Working in the same office also allowed me to intervene when I learned she was being sexually harassed by her supervisor.

When it doesn't work out you can have ongoing friction if either party doesn't want to let go of the relationship.
Absolutely I loved how she handled being the store director this past week since my SD was on Vacation. Before she left each day she apparently went up to the person in charge of the cashiers and went to the cashiers and basically gave them each a job to do it they weren't busy. My SD never does that and half the time once everyone leaves (I'm sometimes working till 7-8 so I see things some of my managers don't especially from those running things at night not doing their job) the cashiers are like huddled together having a private party conversation or whatever. Some other person could have a line and no one says hey I''ll take a few of them. The one guy who they let run the store from time to time do to past manager experience is a joke. I had an incident of two guys fighting in my department and he was utterly useless from stoping them till the cops came and after. 

The AM treats people very well and kind of defended me last summer to my old department manager who is a bit of a smartass. Some of the employees don't like her but I think it's more she makes them actually do work. My department manager prior to the one there now she was kind of the same way as the guy before her let everyone get away with Murder. I liked her because she pretty much kept everything straight. My AM this past week and I cleaned the whole entire office too. She seems to handle a lot of stuff well. Last year she personally told me that she'd rather have me help her do things or do things our SD wanted because she could trust me and she liked me enough. 

That's awful but good for you. Yeah my Floral Manager's niece works there and some ghetto girl who didn't do a thing sexually harassed another employ but picked on her niece. My Floral Manager's husband had said something to management about this girl before especially picking on his niece (SHe's more so related to his wife's side but she's almost like a daughter to him) and he flipped. I was going into the office to ask my manager about something I heard my coworker screaming and even heard my name. Walked outside and saw two co workers asked what happened and they said the ghetto girl had sent sexually explicit text to another girl who was underage. The girl happened be someone I trained and am really good friends with but I protected her like she was my sister. I ran into the office and my co worker and I basically blasted my SD and FE for not doing their job. Luckily the girl got fired but it would've never have happened if this girl was let go to begin with. Glad you helped your wife out as no telling what would've happened if you weren't there or in a relationship with her. 

I'm always careful about who I go out with especially if it's work related. I wouldn't have a hard time with this one if it was another co worker in my position or similar position but given it's kind of upper management there always seems like many different opinions on it. 

-OZ- said:
It can work out, but I've seen / investigated so many of these over the years that turned badly that I'd avoid them. Especially if there's a power dynamic at play.  Our employer has specific rules about fraternizing. 

Co workers in completely different offices could be fine. 
Yeah I usually stay away from invoking myself with crazy people. The Co worker going out with the guy arrested is a crazy loon. She has attachment issues as well and quite frankly I don't need my significant other bother me at work when they aren't working and just looking for attention. I had one older co worker who did self scan married with a kid who I think was trying to hit on me when I was 16-17-18. I stayed away as she was bats** crazy and found out she actually cheated on her husband with another co worker who was 1 month away from marrying a friend of mine in HS. The Wedding got called off. Power dynamic is a bit tricky but I think given my status with the higher ups it would kind of work out. Even though I'm technically in name and $$$ not one of them they kind of make me feel part of the group. 

I have a new favorite poster.  Not sure how I have missed him in the past.  

Dating a coworker can end badly but you should go for it.    You seem like you could get a new job easily if thing get ugly.  Good luck. 

i'd be in tough these days. the rock&roll road ruined me for dates - so stoopit & fake - so "wanna do sum'n" with a nurse with whom one has pulled the cojones of others out of fires and killed countless dead shifts was all i was up for. god bless nurses. breaking in new cocktail waitresses in the poker rooms was fun cuz my stack above the table was usually more impressive than the one below, but that's probably workplace now too.

Basically it depends if it's an adult job or not. If you're working at a mall or fast food  or restaurant or any job you're just doing for now, go ahead and have your fun. If you're working your career, it's usually not worth the risk. I had this talk with my younger brother, who is in his career and his 30s, that he shouldn't get involved with this woman he helped move into his department who had seemingly been showing interest in him. It's too easy these days to meet someone online to risk workplace relationships in a career.

shadyridr said:
Depends. I met my wife at place of employment and we started dating and worked together for a few years. 

Moonlight said:

James Daulton said:
I think they're great.  I met my wife of 25 years while we were co-workers.
Me 4...

I have a new favorite poster.  Not sure how I have missed him in the past.  

Dating a coworker can end badly but you should go for it.    You seem like you could get a new job easily if thing get ugly.  Good luck. 
Not worried about finding a new job because I doubt it cost me my job. Might cost me some co workers who I consider friends and I'm already on uneven ground with a few coworkers I consider my friends while trying to defend my AD and person I have a romantic interest in. And that's more so I'm trying to stay friends with them and defend her. It's more I consider these people my friends but it's not like she hasn't gone after them for stuff just to be a b**ch. She's doing it because they are doing stuff they shouldn't do. My store is filled with former A7P/SuperFresh people and she's an ACME person and it seems the A&P/SF people don't get a long with the main ACME crew because the ACME people play by a different set of rules. For the most part many rules I agree with and even like. some of these A&P/SF people have gotten away with half *** and laziness for yrs as well as other things so its nice when the ACME people come in and set people straight. To be fair my SD sucks at times but he's a fairly good person and I could do way worse. However they shouldn't have kept the A&P/SF managers at their stores that switched over to ACME and transferred them to other stores and had an ACME SD come in to help run things the way they do. My store still doesn't do somethings ACMEs do.

Also I think my AD's #####iness also attracts me to her as well for some reason especially when it's towards co workers I hate. 

Basically it depends if it's an adult job or not. If you're working at a mall or fast food  or restaurant or any job you're just doing for now, go ahead and have your fun. If you're working your career, it's usually not worth the risk. I had this talk with my younger brother, who is in his career and his 30s, that he shouldn't get involved with this woman he helped move into his department who had seemingly been showing interest in him. It's too easy these days to meet someone online to risk workplace relationships in a career.
Tried online and hated it. I don't have car and frankly given everything I need and do I don't need one at the moment and nor do I have a DL. The Online thing is a good idea but it's not for everyone. I've met girls just by going out and other things like friends introducing to me to someone they know or work with. One buddy introduced me to a co worker of his who was having a rough go of the dating thing herself. She had similar interests as me too so he figured he'd give us a shot. Don't get me wrong we had a great time together but in the end we wanted different things out of the relationship. She was more so at the time looking for a rebound and nothing serious and I was looking for more serious. We're still good friends. 

His wrestling posts are fine. :shrug:
She doesn't like the fact I vehemently disagree on a lot of stuff with her in the Basketball threat. I'll put it this way and this is not insulting her but to put in wrestling terms she's like the Roman Reigns fan girls of the NBA. 

you like someone or like like?
I mean it's more then a crush so yes I'd like to say I want to have a romantic relationship with her. Not just I like you can we hang out and be friends. I should also mention I'm 8 yrs older then her if this makes any difference. 

Based on his nba posts I thought he was over 40. Now it seems Djax is actually 16 years old. I am confused now.

Nathan R. Jessep said:
I see nothing wrong with it. Nothing sexier than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote them all I say! :coffee:  
LOL yeah and I love how she's a ##### to certain people too and then nice too me. She even gets made at my one boss for for acting like a smartass with me which is cool. I just wish we could keep him get my Buddy as the SD and I got a perfect management duo. 

Weebs210 said:
Based on his nba posts I thought he was over 40. Now it seems Djax is actually 16 years old. I am confused now.
Uh I just turned 30. I've worked with my company since I was 16. 

I just returned from lunch with a co-worker who is quite a bit younger than me and she gave me a hand job and doesn't plan to tell her husband about it so I'm gonna go with it is a good gig if you can get it?

I just returned from lunch with a co-worker who is quite a bit younger than me and she gave me a hand job and doesn't plan to tell her husband about it so I'm gonna go with it is a good gig if you can get it?
Somebody's daughter.  Not why we're here.  Enjoy a great season. glll peas.

Users who are viewing this thread