What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keenan Allen Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Keenan Allen finally had the season we all thought him capable of last year, but I'm left wondering if he has an even better season ahead. Ken Whisenhunt has been a masterful combination with Philip Rivers, and the season-ending loss of Hunter Henry leaves Allen with a monstrous target share all but guaranteed. His injury history always looms, but absent missing games, Allen is on a short list of receivers who could dethrone Antonio Brown in PPR formats. Do you agree or not? And why? 

It was a good year last year, but he really struggled early in the season. For those investing a 2nd round pick on him, hopefully he can be more consistent. 

Wish i could remember where i read it but there is a great write up on his route running ability floating around the ether stream recently

It was a good year last year, but he really struggled early in the season. For those investing a 2nd round pick on him, hopefully he can be more consistent. 
The entire offense struggled in the first 4 games, largely because new HC Lynn was stubbornly trying to establish the running game to the detriment of the passing game in the first half of each of those games, then trying to rely on passing to come from behind in the second half of those games. He finally changed tactics in game 5, and the entire offense thrived the rest of the season.

I haven't looked to see how this specifically correlates with Allen's performance, just a point of information.

In 2015, Allen in 8 games prior to suffering a season-ending injury put up 67/725/4.

Then he missed all but one half of action in 2016 (but caught 6 passes for 60 yards).

In 2017, while LAC meandered offensively through the first stretch of the season, Allen was mediocre, but in the last 8 games of the season - put up 62/845/5.

His situation is static - he has a great QB who loves him.  He's in an offense where Henry/Gates who combined for  TD's are no longer on the team...I'm surprised his ADP is behind Michael Thomas, ODB and Julio. 

You can definitely make a case Allen is the #3 WR.  He's just not as sexy ad ODB and Julio.  
For sure but it is a tough sell for people. Most fantasy players need to see it first. Allen's best season is 1400 and 6. OBJ has had 3 seasons better than that, Julio has 3. Those guys are going to get drafted higher. But that is fine with me, I love Allen this year. 

The entire offense struggled in the first 4 games, largely because new HC Lynn was stubbornly trying to establish the running game to the detriment of the passing game in the first half of each of those games, then trying to rely on passing to come from behind in the second half of those games. He finally changed tactics in game 5, and the entire offense thrived the rest of the season.

I haven't looked to see how this specifically correlates with Allen's performance, just a point of information.
Weeks 5-10 were really rough for Allen as well. He didn't top 67 yards or score a TD during that span. 

In 2015, Allen in 8 games prior to suffering a season-ending injury put up 67/725/4.

Then he missed all but one half of action in 2016 (but caught 6 passes for 60 yards).

In 2017, while LAC meandered offensively through the first stretch of the season, Allen was mediocre, but in the last 8 games of the season - put up 62/845/5.

His situation is static - he has a great QB who loves him.  He's in an offense where Henry/Gates who combined for  TD's are no longer on the team...I'm surprised his ADP is behind Michael Thomas, ODB and Julio. 
His 16 game pace from 2015-2017 is 112/1396/6 on 163 targets. That is 18 ppg in PPR, which would have ranked #4 last year, #7 in 2016, and #10 in 2015.

So IMO he is clearly a top 10 WR. But is he definitely a top 5 WR in 2018? Not necessarily.

Allen got 159 targets last season. While he seems likely to be a target hog again, it's hard to say any player is a lock for that many targets. Here are some possible impacts to his targets in 2018:

• Last season, Allen had more targets (159) than all of the other Chargers WRs combined (158). But Mike Williams wasn't healthy and only got 23 targets last season. If he is healthy and there are no major injuries to Tyrell Williams or Benjamin, Allen's share of the WR targets seems likely to be reduced at least by a small amount.
  • RB Ekeler only got 35 targets last season, but was very efficient with them. Gordon was also effective on his 83 targets. This is a reason I think vacated TE targets from Henry and Gates won't help the WRs too much. Most will still go to TEs, and the balance will likely mostly go to the RBs. (Plus, Gates could still return.)
  • The defense was #3 in points allowed and #6 in turnovers forced last season, and should be better this year. Combine that with the fact that the Chargers play a reasonably easy schedule this season, and game scripts could result in fewer pass attempts = fewer overall targets for the offense.

The team lost only 1 defensive starter, FS Boston, who was upgraded by #17 overall pick Derwin James.
  • Former Pro Bowl CB Jason Verrett back could be healthy and add to what is arguably already the best secondary in the league without him.
  • The team spent its first 4 draft picks on defense to add speed, athleticism, and positional versatility.

[*]Another point on game script. The Chargers had the worst PK performance in the league last season. They should have fixed that problem by signing PK Sturgis. A better kicking game will also contribute to conservative game scripts.

The other issue is that Allen does not score a lot of TDs. He had 8 TDs as a rookie in 2013. Since then, he has just 14 TDs in 39 games, despite playing with a good to great QB and averaging 9.6 targets per game throughout that period. I anticipate some will argue this shows he has good growth potential in this area, particularly with Henry and Gates out in 2018. The problem is, Mike Williams was drafted in part because he is supposedly a strong red zone threat; if he plays up to his draft position this season, that could cap Allen's red zone opportunities.

I think Allen is a lock for top 10, barring major injury to him or impactful teammates (e.g., Rivers). But I think he is a long shot for top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
His 16 game pace from 2015-2017 is 112/1396/6 on 163 targets. That is 18 ppg in PPR, which would have ranked #4 last year, #7 in 2016, and #10 in 2015.

So IMO he is clearly a top 10 WR. But is he definitely a top 5 WR in 2018? Not necessarily.

Allen got 159 targets last season. While he seems likely to be a target hog again, it's hard to say any player is a lock for that many targets. Here are some possible impacts to his targets in 2018:

• Last season, Allen had more targets (159) than all of the other Chargers WRs combined (158). But Mike Williams wasn't healthy and only got 23 targets last season. If he is healthy and there are no major injuries to Tyrell Williams or Benjamin, Allen's share of the WR targets seems likely to be reduced at least by a small amount.
  • RB Ekeler only got 35 targets last season, but was very efficient with them. Gordon was also effective on his 83 targets. This is a reason I think vacated TE targets from Henry and Gates won't help the WRs too much. Most will still go to TEs, and the balance will likely mostly go to the RBs. (Plus, Gates could still return.)
  • The defense was #3 in points allowed and #6 in turnovers forced last season, and should be better this year. Combine that with the fact that the Chargers play a reasonably easy schedule this season, and game scripts could result in fewer pass attempts = fewer overall targets for the offense.

The team lost only 1 defensive starter, FS Boston, who was upgraded by #17 overall pick Derwin James.
  • Former Pro Bowl CB Jason Verrett back could be healthy and add to what is arguably already the best secondary in the league without him.
  • The team spent its first 4 draft picks on defense to add speed, athleticism, and positional versatility.

[*]Another point on game script. The Chargers had the worst PK performance in the league last season. They should have fixed that problem by signing PK Sturgis. A better kicking game will also contribute to conservative game scripts.

The other issue is that Allen does not score a lot of TDs. He had 8 TDs as a rookie in 2013. Since then, he has just 14 TDs in 39 games, despite playing with a good to great QB and averaging 9.6 targets per game throughout that period. I anticipate some will argue this shows he has good growth potential in this area, particularly with Henry and Gates out in 2018. The problem is, Mike Williams was drafted in part because he is supposedly a strong red zone threat; if he plays up to his draft position this season, that could cap Allen's red zone opportunities.

I think Allen is a lock for top 10, barring major injury to him or impactful teammates (e.g., Rivers). But I think he is a long shot for top 5.
Good points. 

To be fair, Allen’s 2014 season (his 2nd season) was bad all-around.  4 TD’s in 15 games.

When you include that season in his TD numbers, they look quite a bit worse.  But without Hunter Henry, that should impact Allen’s RZ looks just a bit.

You talk about his 9.6 targets/game which would put him at 154 over 16 games.  Predicting targets is tough, but I feel better about that number for Allen than I would for ODB.

As for Thomas, his two year average is 1191/7.  Sure he’s only entering his 3rd year, but Allen is only 26 too.

As for Julio, ATL shares TD’s across the board.  And no guarantee Ryan throws for a lot of them.  Aside from 2016, he’s not been a prolific thrower of them.

To be fair, Allen’s 2014 season (his 2nd season) was bad all-around.  4 TD’s in 15 games.
True, but none of his TD samples are impressive:

• 2013-2017: 22 TDs in 54 career games
  • 2014-2017: 14 TDs in 39 games
  • 2015-2017: 10 TDs in 25 games
  • 2017: 6 TDs in 16 games 
It just hasn't been a strength in his game. I would love to see him breakout and change that this season, I just don't see any reason to expect that.

But without Hunter Henry, that should impact Allen’s RZ looks just a bit.
Maybe, but I will be surprised if Allen's red zone targets go up by a non-trivial amount - as it was, he had 24 red zone targets last season. Henry had 12, but Mike Williams only had 4. :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread