What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marquise Goodwin Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Jimmy Garoppolo is already a legend in spite of starting just seven games in his career. He's 7-0 with a 67% completion rate, 4.4% touchdown rate, a measly 1.8% interception rate, and a phenomenal 8.3 AY/Att. Armed with a hefty contract, he enters his first preseason as a starter and fantasy owners have projected a breakout season for the entire 49ers offense. Yet, Marquise Goodwin's fantasy prospects remain relatively subdued. It seems most are ready to hand the No. 1 role to Pierre Garcon. I'm not. Garcon has always been a compiler, and last year we saw what Goodwin can do with Garoppolo in a feature role. Everyone seems ready to prorate Garoppolo's 5-game stint to make him a top-10 fantasy quarterback. Or to project Jerick McKinnon into an RB1. So why wouldn't we pro-rate Goodwin's 5-game stretch catching passes from Jimmy G? 93 receptions and 1,229 yards would make Goodwin one of the best values on draft day. Even 80% of that returns solid value. Are you dismissive of Goodwin's role? Are you staying quiet so you can snipe him late in drafts? Somewhere in the middle? 

I'm handing the #1 role to Garcon. Goodwin produced all of that 5 game stretch without Garcon, and without the RB being heavily involved in the passing game, those will both change. They also drafted Pettis, and are expecting Kittle to take another step forward. I also think the prorating of Garoppolo's numbers is a mistake. He's not someone I'd want as a fantasy starter at all.

I think Goodwin has a lot of real world value, as defenses always have to account for his ability to get deep. But they have better options elsewhere and ones Garoppolo will likely be encouraged to hit. In redraft, I think Goodwin is pretty similar to D-Jax in Tampa. He'll have the occasional big game where he catches a long score, but good luck guessing what game it'll happen in. Goodwin is a WR4 in my opinion, and not a very appealing one. 

Too early for me to think about where I would draft Goodwin but he is a value target for me.  I am not buying all the hype on the 49ers as a whole but the end of last season has to be considered.  Jimmy G played real well.  Goodwin could thrive as the #2 target even if Garcon is the #1.  .  

The guy looked like a completely different player last season. 49ers were using him all over the field, I don't think the D-Jax comparison applies anymore. I don' expect him to be the WR12 like he was last year during the Jimmy G run but he has value as a WR3 with upside and can be had really late.

Users who are viewing this thread