What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christian McCaffrey Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
My first fantasy football championship came thanks, in part, to Ed McCaffrey. Now his son is poised to win me titles because too many are worried he's permanently relegated to 3rd down work. That's silly. Christian McCaffrey is not Theo Riddick. He's got the vision, balance, strength, and college experience to dominate in any down and distance. It just so happens McCaffrey is an elite receiver and the Panthers had a veteran running back to help balance things out. With Jonathan Stewart out to pasture (in New York), things looked great for McCaffrey until the team signed C.J. Anderson in free agency. Is Anderson's signing an omen we're looking at 2017 redux? Or are you like me and expecting Anderson to play a role but for McCaffrey to see his touches increase and become the feature back? 

I'm high on CMC this year...perhaps overly so.  He put up 591/5 line on 99 touches during the last half of the season.

I think with CMC, the Panthers ultimately want to wind up having him carry the ball 10x/game and catch 5 passes/game.  240 touches (particularly with a third of them coming via reception) seems palatable for his size/build.  2nd half of the season saw him at 5.97 YPT.  If he maintains, that's 1400+ YFS.

With Anderson, I think CMC's GL opps tail off, but 3 of his 5 TD's in the second half were by reception.  Could see a 4/4 or 5/5 type TD split emerging.

CAR invested a top 10 pick in the guy.  His versatility and ability to line-up almost anywhere on the field means his snap counts are high.  You get this type of production from late 2nd/early 3rd round area, you're ahead of the game.

This should get interesting ....

I'm biased as a ppr dynasty owner, but I'm very happy with CMC so far. It might not have always looked pretty, but the kid is a stat accumulator plain and simple. I think he's the best ppr RB2 you could get as he is consistent and has a very high floor. If you can pair him with a stud RB1 you're sitting pretty. Even though he will likely produce low-end RB1 numbers, I just don't think he has the weekly multi-TD upside of a true fantasy RB1

Can't speak to redraft value, but in dynasty, at only 22, owners should be very happy with the prospects for their 2017 top 3 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm high on CMC this year...perhaps overly so.  He put up 591/5 line on 99 touches during the last half of the season.

I think with CMC, the Panthers ultimately want to wind up having him carry the ball 10x/game and catch 5 passes/game.  240 touches (particularly with a third of them coming via reception) seems palatable for his size/build.  2nd half of the season saw him at 5.97 YPT.  If he maintains, that's 1400+ YFS.

With Anderson, I think CMC's GL opps tail off, but 3 of his 5 TD's in the second half were by reception.  Could see a 4/4 or 5/5 type TD split emerging.

CAR invested a top 10 pick in the guy.  His versatility and ability to line-up almost anywhere on the field means his snap counts are high.  You get this type of production from late 2nd/early 3rd round area, you're ahead of the game.
As much as I like to contribute to these threads, you've said everything I'd have said and more. McCaffrey is a low end RB1 in my opinion. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread