What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Questions for Trump supporters (1 Viewer)

Thanks @bostonfred You know I like the idea. 

I am not a Trump supporter. I voted for Clinton and have opposed a lot of what he'd done and how he operates.

But I'm not sure you're going to get much engagement here. The reality is 1), The Trump supporters here are a tiny minority of the forum and 2) No offense but the vast majority of the guys good at posting and making strong written arguments are on the other side of Trump supporters. That's just how it is. 

To get a sense for what my understanding of people supporting Trump would be it's going to more like what someone like a Ben Shapiro would write. Googling "Ben Shapiro good things about Trump" returned this. I have no idea how true any of it is. It's seven months old but my guess is this is going to be a pretty good assessment of what most Trump Supporters would say:  Apologies for the length, please don't quote and make it even longer. 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24854/year-one-complete-good-trumpbad-trump-list-ben-shapiro

YEAR ONE: The Complete Good Trump/Bad Trump List

ByBEN SHAPIRO

@BENSHAPIRO

December 19, 2017

As we reach the end of President Trump’s first year in office, it’s time to take stock: how well has he done? The emerging popular view among people on the Right is that Trump has had a wildly successful first year, but that his successes have been ignored by a recalcitrant Leftist media seeking his destruction. There’s certainly some truth to that. But it’s also true that Trump has undercut himself repeatedly, and that his policy legacy may well be reversed by a Democratic swell at least partially of his own making.

So, here are the pros and cons of Trump’s first year — the first year Good Trump/Bad Trump.

Good Trump:

1. Justice Gorsuch. Despite recent reports that Trump nearly pulled Neil Gorsuch’s nomination thanks to Gorsuch’s comments on Trump’s behavior as president, he didn’t — so who cares what he said behind closed doors? Gorsuch is a major victory for the president, and was for the first ten months of his administration, the only major win the president could point to.

2. The Defeat Of ISIS. Trump hasn’t gotten the credit he deserves for this, but ISIS’ territorial holdings are now non-existent. As Ross Douthat, no Trump acolyte, wrote at The New York Times, “If you had told me in late 2016 that almost a year into the Trump era the caliphate would be all-but-beaten without something far worse happening in the Middle East, I would have been surprised and gratified.” ISIS has carried out terrorist attacks abroad, but their star is obviously on the wane, and Trump’s strengthening of the Obama strategy is largely to credit.

3. The Soaring Stock Market. The stock market has been breaking records all year. It’s difficult to credit Trump with that, unless you also want to credit President Obama for a stock market that increased 250% over his term, but there’s little doubt that a positive business climate has been unleashed under President Trump and a Republican Congress, and that shows in the market.

4. The Excellent Growth And Unemployment Statistics. Similarly, unemployment and growth statistics have been terrific since Trump’s presidency began — we’re at nearly full employment, and last quarter, the GDP grew at nearly 4%. That has a lot to do with Trump’s decision-making with regard to cutting regulations and pursuing policies that would put more money into business’ pockets to spend and invest.

5. Cutting Regulations. Trump brags that he’s cut 22 regulations for each new one created. That is indeed a massive achievement. The only problem here is that regulatory cuts can be undone if Trump were to lose in 2020 — so Trump is doing the right thing, but executive policy is also the easiest policy to reverse.

6. Curbing The Iran Deal. Trump hasn’t ended the Iran deal, but he has decertified it. This is a first step toward reinstalling sanctions, though why Trump hasn’t pursued new sanctions remains a mystery. In the meantime, Trump has ardently pursued the creation of a new anti-Iranian alliance, led by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and Israel. Obama’s Iran-led Middle East has, ironically, created serious compatibility between Israel and many of her former adversaries.

7. Announcing Jerusalem As Israel’s Capital. Trump sees that Jerusalem is Israel’s capital, both morally and historically. He fulfilled a campaign promise made by every president since Clinton. He also recognized, correctly, that most of the Arab world doesn’t care that much about Israel — they’re more concerned about the rise of Iran, and Israel is part of the alliance necessary to combat Iran’s rise. Trump’s administration has been stalwart on this issue despite media and international pressure, and Nikki Haley’s performance at the anti-Semitic U.N. has been heroic.

8. Opening Public Lands. Under President Trump, the government is moving to open up public lands, particularly in the West — which makes a good deal of sense considering that the federal government controls a vast majority of all land in states like Utah and Nevada. Trump has also finally opened the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, which makes economic and practical sense — talk of environmental catastrophe in that area has been wildly overstated for nearly two decades.

9. Passing New North Korean Sanctions. Trump doesn’t have a lot of options on North Korea, but he has leveraged American power to achieve new, unprecedented sanctions at the United Nations.

10. Repeal Of The Individual Mandate. The new tax reform package contains the repeal of the individual mandate. That’s a big win for Trump politically, since he’ll be able to say he presided over the death of the most unpopular aspect of Obamacare, but it’s likely to bear mixed results in terms of policy: individual policies will become more expensive as young people aren’t forced to buy them to subsidize older people, and Republicans will have to fill the gap with government funding.

11. Tax Reform. The much-maligned tax bill will lower corporate taxes dramatically, which is necessary. It doesn’t do much on the individual side, but it wasn’t meant to — and while the media lie about the bill incessantly, Americans will feel it in their pocketbook, and businesses will feel it in their bottom line. This is Trump’s only major legislative accomplishment this year.

12. Record Number Of Appellate Court Appointments. Trump has nominated 12 appellate court judges, more than any other president historically. That’s a big win for the administration, which pledged to remake the judiciary along Constitutionalist lines.

13. Pullout From The Paris Accords. Trump pulled out of the Paris Accords, which doesn’t mean much practically, but obviously set a new course for the government internationally — we’ll no longer be signing onto pie-in-the-sky initiatives designed to eventually boil down to restrictions on American growth.

14. Travel Ban. The originally-botched travel ban didn’t help Trump in his opening days, but it eventually passed Constitutional muster, and will now be implemented in full. The ban is overbroad and underbroad, but it is better than nothing, and it’s useful for the president’s power to be restated by the judiciary in this area.

15. Unshackling The Military And Supporting Police. Trump has changed the rules of engagement for the military, changed their strategic timeline in Afghanistan, and made clear that he wants the military fully funded. That’s a major shift from Obama, and a positive one. Unlike President Obama, Trump doesn’t respond with antipathy to police departments the country over.

Bad Trump:

1. Charlottesville. Trump’s response to Charlottesville was inexcusable, both morally and politically. It helped cripple his administration practically by allowing Democrats the opportunity to shift away from him at the first available opportunity. Plus, dude, come on.

2. Trans-Pacific Partnership Pullout. While some on the Right love the TPP withdrawal, Trump should have simply renegotiated it. Pulling out of TPP opened the door to China, which has rushed through — TPP was originally conceived as an anti-Chinese trade alliance, and sinking it has made nations in the South China Sea more subject to Chinese power.

3. Obamacare Repeal Failure. While the individual mandate will be gone, federal regulations on insurance companies will not be. That means a spiral in the individual insurance market barring federal subsidies. Obamacare needed to be destroyed wholesale; instead, it still stands, and in some ways, has actually been strengthened by government subsidies rather than mandates.

4. Picking Mike Flynn And Steve Bannon. Trump never should have chosen Mike Flynn for his national security advisor, and that decision has echoed down throughout the administration, thanks to Flynn lying to the FBI. He never should have chosen Steve Bannon as part of his team — Bannon is toxic, useless, and polarizing, a self-aggrandizing leech on Trump.

5. Firing James Comey. Trump shouldn’t have fired Comey — or if he should have, he should have done it immediately. Firing Comey in the dumbest possible way, then announcing to the Russians that it had to do with Russia, then announcing it had to do with Russia on national television — all of it turned out to be rather stupid.

6. Overall Russian Investigation Botchery. Overall, Trump should shut up about the Russia investigation — and he seems to have figured that out now, too late. If he’d just let the thing progress, let the media investigate the investigation, and let his allies point out discrepancies, he’d be in good shape. As it is, Americans have largely polarized along political lines about the usefulness of the investigation.

7. No Border Wall. Ann Coulter’s fighting mad over this one, and she has a right to be. This is nowhere in sight.

8. Push For New DACA. Trump struck down Obama’s unconstitutional executive order on DACA, but pledged to replace it through Congress, or reinstate it later. This isn’t exactly the tough-on-immigration policy Republicans voted for. With that said, Trump has seen a marked decline in illegal immigration thanks to increased deportations.

9. Constant Barrage Of Nonsense. From shouting “fake news” at real news to jabbering about crowd size to asking why there was a civil war to telling myths about General Pershing to a weeks-long crusade against the NFL to a fight with Lavar Ball, President Trump can’t seem to stop himself from following every rabbit down every hole. It eats up energy, it allows the press to misdirect from his accomplishments, and it tires the American people. If somebody unplugged the president’s phone, his approval ratings would jump 10% within two weeks.

10. Kissing Up To Putin. Trump is still making nice with Putin on a personal level, although his new national security strategy admits that Putin is a strategic enemy. Trump’s decision to downplay Russian election meddling may be self-serving, but it also may be a sop to Putin, who is in fact a rogue dictator.

11. Treating Duterte With Kid Gloves. Similarly, Trump has been rather overkind to Rodrigo Duterte, the mad leader of the Philippines, who has engaged in massive human rights abuses in his war on drugs.

12. Roy Moore Endorsement. Trump should have stayed out of this race. Instead, he jumped in just long enough to be linked with a credibly accused child molester with other serious political baggage. And Trump won’t just be linked with Moore’s loss — he’ll be linked with losses in Virginia and across the country.

13. Attacking His Own Staffers. Trump has attacked a huge number of his own employees: Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, among others. This isn’t smart. It gives the impression of an administration in chaos, even as things get done.

14. Not Staffing The Federal Government. Trump has done well nominating judges, but he’s done terribly at filling career posts at various agencies. That’s left a lot of Obama appointees in place, which puts Trump in bad position.

As you’ll notice, Trump’s accomplishments aren’t minimal — and a huge number of his setbacks are self-made and rhetorical. All of which demonstrates why Trump is beloved by his base but carries an approval rating of 35%, the lowest approval rating of any president at this point in modern American history (every other president since Kennedy was above 50%, except for Reagan in 1981, who clocked in at 49%). If Trump could just curb his own appetite for the spotlight and stop feeling the need to sound off like a commenter on Breitbart on every issue, he’d be in much more solid position to keep winning on the issues Americans care about. If he can't, he'll continue to polarize Americans, drive young voters away from him, and help lead to losses in the Congress that will prevent him from winning — and may prevent his re-election, too. Rhetoric matters when you're the president, contrary to popular conservative opinion, and Trump should remember that. In fact, he should know that better than anyone else: he's a salesman first, and he's not selling himself or his accomplishments. That's a mistake he should work to rectify, if it's not too late.

What if the market tanks between now and reelection?  Would that impact your vote?
Note there can be a big difference between the market and the economy.  They don't move in lockstep.

On the questions KD pretty much nailed it.

I mean economically.   Its why i don't name a single great deregulation.   I think the US economy is doing better because some of the chains are off,  its been the  slow death of a 1000 cuts.    But like you said,   lets watch and see.
Do you care about the "US economy" or your bottom line more?  They aren't close to the same and it seemed like you were more concerned about the dollars in your pocket based on previous comments.  If you are concerned more about the US economy as a whole, do you perceive a 7-8% return of real dollars to every company in the country as "removing some of the chains"?

I am not a Trump supporter. I voted for Clinton and have opposed a lot of what he'd done and how he operates.

But I'm not sure you're going to get much engagement here. The reality is 1), The Trump supporters here are a tiny minority of the forum and 2) No offense but the vast majority of the guys good at posting and making strong written arguments are on the other side of Trump supporters. That's just how it is. 

To get a sense for what my understanding of people supporting Trump would be it's going to more like what someone like a Ben Shapiro would write. Googling "Ben Shapiro good things about Trump" returned this. I have no idea how true any of it is. It's seven months old but my guess is this is going to be a pretty good assessment of what most Trump Supporters would say:  Apologies for the length, please don't quote and make it even longer. 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24854/year-one-complete-good-trumpbad-trump-list-ben-shapiro
I wish there was a dislike button for posts like this.

Do you care about the "US economy" or your bottom line more?  They aren't close to the same and it seemed like you were more concerned about the dollars in your pocket based on previous comments.  If you are concerned more about the US economy as a whole, do you perceive a 7-8% return of real dollars to every company in the country as "removing some of the chains"?
well, that's a fair question.  I care more about mine.   Obviously, because my primary responsibility it for 3 other people.  I exist within the US economy and world economy.   The only way to take care of the poor is to help them take care of themselves (with obvious exceptions).    Yes i perceive a 7-8% return of real dollars to every company in the country as good. 

well, that's a fair question.  I care more about mine.   Obviously, because my primary responsibility it for 3 other people.  I exist within the US economy and world economy.   The only way to take care of the poor is to help them take care of themselves (with obvious exceptions).    Yes i perceive a 7-8% return of real dollars to every company in the country as good. 
What about $5K per year directly back in your pocket as cold hard cash?

Last edited by a moderator:
I exist within the US economy and world economy
Sorry for all the questions, but you are a bit of a unicorn in these forums, so I take advantage when I get the opportunity.  Do you believe the government should have a role in helping our companies be competitive in this world economy?  Do you believe the government should have a role in helping individuals be competitive in this world economy?

obamacare  cost me and extra 7K .   Basically i have and extremely expensive catastrophic plan.   I pretty much pay medical out of my pocket.  So im not looking for anymore government help.    Ive been helped quite enough.

Im well above that.
Ok...you'll have to do the math.  Take whatever your yearly premiums are  + your deductibles and compare them to what your AGI * 2.2%.  If you're over $200K in salary there's another calculation to account for increased tax rate.

obamacare  cost me and extra 7K .   Basically i have and extremely expensive catastrophic plan.   I pretty much pay medical out of my pocket.  So im not looking for anymore government help.    Ive been helped quite enough.
So individual market...yeah you got butt humped pretty good.  That was terrible and the current administration seems to be hellbent on making it worse.  It sucks for most of you guys in the individual market.  Knowing what we know now, they should have just thrown the money at increasing medicaid, not touched the individual market at all and been done with it.

Not sure if this is quite accurate.  There are more than a couple folks who are eloquent on the subject.  There tends to be, however, instant backlash toward anyone with conservative views here.  The usual suspects of vapid, snarky posters - Tobias, squiz, Mister CIA, etc.  And as we saw in Tim's last screed the racist and bigot labels were broken out pretty quick.  That dries up conversation pretty quick.  It certainly gives me an opportunity to pass as I don't particularly like to be labeled something I'm not.

The other issue (and this may be just me) is that many things DJT does, and I've written on this previously, are personally objectionable.  This was enough to keep me from voting for him (which, again, is lampooned and ridiculed if mentioned in discussion - it's not productive).  It's very hard to separate the policy (say travel ban) from the rhetoric (DJT comments).  While the policy may be sound the voice behind it makes reasoned arguments on that policy very difficult if not impossible. So there is that, too.

If I'm being honest, I don't see how anyone on the individual market isn't praying for single payer at this point.
Id like insurance to go back to being insurance.   

If you think the govt is gonna do it correctly.   Well frankly.   Thats nuts.   It will just be another ponzi scheme.

Id like insurance to go back to being insurance.   

If you think the govt is gonna do it correctly.   Well frankly.   Thats nuts.   It will just be another ponzi scheme.
Let's not confuse a single payer concept with government run healthcare.  I am with you on this....I want insurance to go back to being insurance.  For that to happen costs have to be driven WAY down.  Who's going to do that if not the government?  We are basically funding all the perceived "losses" big pharma is losing in other countries and our government is letting it happen.  There's a reason big pharma companies dumped over $3 billion in lobbying money into our politicians over the last 20 years.  I don't see a way out from under that if prices aren't negotiated by the government and limits set on what these companies can charge.  So far, they've passed the buck off to insurance companies to handle that negotiation.  I think that's completely unacceptable.

However, I do give credit where it's due.  By all accounts most people love medicare once they're on it.  As a compromise, I'd be fine with letting the federal government compete in the private sector to prove themselves.  No harm, no foul.  If they are good at it, their plan will gain more and more paricipants.  If they aren't, they won't.  Let the market decide :shrug:  

I keep hearing and seeing this, yet my 401k is down for the year. So where is it "exceptionally good"?
Cut and paste from above - "Note there can be a big difference between the market and the economy.  They don't move in lockstep."

Right now, make no mistake about it, the economy is absolutely roaring.

And as we saw in Tim's last screed the racist and bigot labels were broken out pretty quick. 
I recognize that and I am trying to change. My apologies if you were offended.

I am enjoying this thread, and I think most of the responses have been honest, thoughtful, and illuminating. 

I’m still waiting to hear Exactly how the Russians interfeared in our elections.

Did they illegally cast votes? Change the count? Destroy ballots? Send in unredistered uneledgable voters? What exactly did the effect?

The DNC did all of the above and that apparently is fine

There Is no proof of hacking at all, although we are supposed to believe there was for some reason. But let’s pretend there was hacking, how did that change anything.

I guess I’m just a bit dense, because I don’t get the accusation at all.

i love the idea of term limits myself take that to the bank brodroppo
My state has 8 year term limits.  It tends to throw the baby out with the bath water. The only constant are the lobbyists.  That being said, no way should we have senators and representatives greater than 20 years.  

I’m still waiting to hear Exactly how the Russians interfeared in our elections.

Did they illegally cast votes? Change the count? Destroy ballots? Send in unredistered uneledgable voters? What exactly did the effect?

There Is no proof of hacking at all, although we are supposed to believe there was for some reason. But let’s pretend there was hacking, how did that change anything.

Try reading the recent indictments. Lots of good info there.

ETA: For the record, that's not meant to be snarky. I seriously mean that would be an excellent starting point for someone who doesn't know what the allegations are, what the evidence is, etc.

Try reading the recent indictments. Lots of good info there.
And the Russia Interference thread...that's a good place to get info too :thumbup:  

Let's not confuse a single payer concept with government run healthcare.  I am with you on this....I want insurance to go back to being insurance.  For that to happen costs have to be driven WAY down.  Who's going to do that if not the government?  We are basically funding all the perceived "losses" big pharma is losing in other countries and our government is letting it happen.  There's a reason big pharma companies dumped over $3 billion in lobbying money into our politicians over the last 20 years.  I don't see a way out from under that if prices aren't negotiated by the government and limits set on what these companies can charge.  So far, they've passed the buck off to insurance companies to handle that negotiation.  I think that's completely unacceptable.

However, I do give credit where it's due.  By all accounts most people love medicare once they're on it.  As a compromise, I'd be fine with letting the federal government compete in the private sector to prove themselves.  No harm, no foul.  If they are good at it, their plan will gain more and more paricipants.  If they aren't, they won't.  Let the market decide :shrug:  
They love it cuz its cheap a senior can get full coverage for no more that $300 bucks a month.   Plus its going broke.

If NATO dissolves
NATO isn't dissolving.  There is a recalibration of expectations occurring - one that is long overdue.

the rest of the world’s democracies turns their backs on the USA, and the country enters a new era of aligning with dictators like Putin and KJU, is that trade worth a couple of Supreme Court seats?
Eh - stinky grenade here.  Not in the interest of civil discourse.

what do you say about the argument that the Supreme Court is actually an accomplishment of Mitch McConnell and not Trump, given how McConnell manipulated and changed Senate procedures to get Gorsuch confirmed?  
The same way we can say that the last budget surplus was due to Newt Gingrich and not Bill Clinton.  These things always get attributed, rightly or wrongly, to the POTUS at the time.  Just the way it works.

The same way we can say that the last budget surplus was due to Newt Gingrich and not Bill Clinton.  These things always get attributed, rightly or wrongly, to the POTUS at the time.  Just the way it works.
agree.  but that does not make it an objectively valid accomplishment.

And the Republican Party, is a cluster**** too as they have moved too far right.

We need a middle-ground party. 

I still say most of the Trump vote came from people thinking this was the way to stop politics as usual, all it did is reinforce standing your party lines and make things worse.

He's done some good things, but the way he handles himself is despicable.
I agree with that just about completely. 

For those putting “Supreme Court” at the top of Trump’s accomplishments... what do you say about the argument that the Supreme Court is actually an accomplishment of Mitch McConnell and not Trump, given how McConnell manipulated and changed Senate procedures to get Gorsuch confirmed?  

And are the people who say Trump doesn’t know enough about judges and the judicial system to deserve credit making a credible argument?
Of course McConell deserves credit for the supreme court. Even if the way he did it was appalling and will likely one day bite the republican party square in the ###.

They love it cuz its cheap a senior can get full coverage for no more that $300 bucks a month.   Plus its going broke.
That's the point...for it to be cheap.  That's what happens when the gov't can negotiate the prices.  And shockingly, it's pretty darn good coverage.  Between it and my parents' supplemental cancer coverage they are both completely covered.  I'd urge you to read a bit closer about the financial status of the program.  Sure, it is facing some challenged, but we aren't talking about things so significant that we use terms like "bankruptcy" or "insolvency".  Well, as long as the GOP keeps their hands off it as a way to supplement the deficit spending caused by Trump's tax cuts.  If they get their hands on it, look out.  All bets are off.

That's the point...for it to be cheap.  That's what happens when the gov't can negotiate the prices.  And shockingly, it's pretty darn good coverage.  Between it and my parents' supplemental cancer coverage they are both completely covered.  I'd urge you to read a bit closer about the financial status of the program.  Sure, it is facing some challenged, but we aren't talking about things so significant that we use terms like "bankruptcy" or "insolvency".  Well, as long as the GOP keeps their hands off it as a way to supplement the deficit spending caused by Trump's tax cuts.  If they get their hands on it, look out.  All bets are off.
Well the real issue with medicare isnt cost or bankruptcy. Its reimbursement rates.  Especially for specialists.    Puting more pressure on a broken system wont fix it.

Want market prices let free market work.   Subsidize the transition.   But you cant fake it.

Well the real issue with medicare isnt cost or bankruptcy. Its reimbursement rates.  Especially for specialists.    Puting more pressure on a broken system wont fix it.

Want market prices let free market work.   Subsidize the transition.   But you cant fake it.
Well, the problem with this is that this is a global market, so all those other countries would need to be on board and that's simply not going to happen.  Free trade is an ideal at best and a myth in practice.  It's a nice tag line, but it isn't really practical in today's reality.  

seems to be going pretty well so far, fortunately.

So, here are the pros and cons of Trump’s first year — the first year Good Trump/Bad Trump.

Good Trump:

1. Justice Gorsuch. Despite recent reports that Trump nearly pulled Neil Gorsuch’s nomination thanks to Gorsuch’s comments on Trump’s behavior as president, he didn’t — so who cares what he said behind closed doors? Gorsuch is a major victory for the president, and was for the first ten months of his administration, the only major win the president could point to.

2. The Defeat Of ISIS. Trump hasn’t gotten the credit he deserves for this, but ISIS’ territorial holdings are now non-existent. As Ross Douthat, no Trump acolyte, wrote at The New York Times, “If you had told me in late 2016 that almost a year into the Trump era the caliphate would be all-but-beaten without something far worse happening in the Middle East, I would have been surprised and gratified.” ISIS has carried out terrorist attacks abroad, but their star is obviously on the wane, and Trump’s strengthening of the Obama strategy is largely to credit.

3. The Soaring Stock Market. The stock market has been breaking records all year. It’s difficult to credit Trump with that, unless you also want to credit President Obama for a stock market that increased 250% over his term, but there’s little doubt that a positive business climate has been unleashed under President Trump and a Republican Congress, and that shows in the market.

4. The Excellent Growth And Unemployment Statistics. Similarly, unemployment and growth statistics have been terrific since Trump’s presidency began — we’re at nearly full employment, and last quarter, the GDP grew at nearly 4%. That has a lot to do with Trump’s decision-making with regard to cutting regulations and pursuing policies that would put more money into business’ pockets to spend and invest.

5. Cutting Regulations. Trump brags that he’s cut 22 regulations for each new one created. That is indeed a massive achievement. The only problem here is that regulatory cuts can be undone if Trump were to lose in 2020 — so Trump is doing the right thing, but executive policy is also the easiest policy to reverse.

6. Curbing The Iran Deal. Trump hasn’t ended the Iran deal, but he has decertified it. This is a first step toward reinstalling sanctions, though why Trump hasn’t pursued new sanctions remains a mystery. In the meantime, Trump has ardently pursued the creation of a new anti-Iranian alliance, led by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and Israel. Obama’s Iran-led Middle East has, ironically, created serious compatibility between Israel and many of her former adversaries.

7. Announcing Jerusalem As Israel’s Capital. Trump sees that Jerusalem is Israel’s capital, both morally and historically. He fulfilled a campaign promise made by every president since Clinton. He also recognized, correctly, that most of the Arab world doesn’t care that much about Israel — they’re more concerned about the rise of Iran, and Israel is part of the alliance necessary to combat Iran’s rise. Trump’s administration has been stalwart on this issue despite media and international pressure, and Nikki Haley’s performance at the anti-Semitic U.N. has been heroic.

8. Opening Public Lands. Under President Trump, the government is moving to open up public lands, particularly in the West — which makes a good deal of sense considering that the federal government controls a vast majority of all land in states like Utah and Nevada. Trump has also finally opened the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, which makes economic and practical sense — talk of environmental catastrophe in that area has been wildly overstated for nearly two decades.

9. Passing New North Korean Sanctions. Trump doesn’t have a lot of options on North Korea, but he has leveraged American power to achieve new, unprecedented sanctions at the United Nations.

10. Repeal Of The Individual Mandate. The new tax reform package contains the repeal of the individual mandate. That’s a big win for Trump politically, since he’ll be able to say he presided over the death of the most unpopular aspect of Obamacare, but it’s likely to bear mixed results in terms of policy: individual policies will become more expensive as young people aren’t forced to buy them to subsidize older people, and Republicans will have to fill the gap with government funding.

11. Tax Reform. The much-maligned tax bill will lower corporate taxes dramatically, which is necessary. It doesn’t do much on the individual side, but it wasn’t meant to — and while the media lie about the bill incessantly, Americans will feel it in their pocketbook, and businesses will feel it in their bottom line. This is Trump’s only major legislative accomplishment this year.

12. Record Number Of Appellate Court Appointments. Trump has nominated 12 appellate court judges, more than any other president historically. That’s a big win for the administration, which pledged to remake the judiciary along Constitutionalist lines.

13. Pullout From The Paris Accords. Trump pulled out of the Paris Accords, which doesn’t mean much practically, but obviously set a new course for the government internationally — we’ll no longer be signing onto pie-in-the-sky initiatives designed to eventually boil down to restrictions on American growth.

14. Travel Ban. The originally-botched travel ban didn’t help Trump in his opening days, but it eventually passed Constitutional muster, and will now be implemented in full. The ban is overbroad and underbroad, but it is better than nothing, and it’s useful for the president’s power to be restated by the judiciary in this area.

15. Unshackling The Military And Supporting Police. Trump has changed the rules of engagement for the military, changed their strategic timeline in Afghanistan, and made clear that he wants the military fully funded. That’s a major shift from Obama, and a positive one. Unlike President Obama, Trump doesn’t respond with antipathy to police departments the country over.
I just think this is one of the best lists I've seen, For whatever reason I bolded the stuff I thought Trump could at least legitimately make a claim for, italics for stuff he could get partial credit for (IMO), and struck through stuff I thought wasn't really an accomplishment. I don't want to debate it, I just thought it was a good list deserving attention and I'm just throwing in my 2 bits.

Credit again to BostonFred.

Declaring cart blanche that cutting regulations is a positive is, in my view, drive by analysis.   Trump has gutted regulations that protect the environment and that would be complete non-starters in the rest of the western liberal democracy world.  I would need someone to articulate how specific cuts are a net positive before I gave that argument any purchase. 

Declaring cart blanche that cutting regulations is a positive is, in my view, drive by analysis.   Trump has gutted regulations that protect the environment and that would be complete non-starters in the rest of the western liberal democracy world.  I would need someone to articulate how specific cuts are a net positive before I gave that argument any purchase. 
Well...ill take your skeptism under advisement.

Besides according to joe the trump supporters are to dumb to do that.   So sorry.

Surprised to see you answer a question directed at Trump supporters given how hard you’ve gone out of your way to mention you didn’t even vote for him.  But whatever.  IMO you’re speaking with way too much certainty about NATO’s future - Trump is set on pulling out of every international agreement the USA has with other democracies.  

I’ll rephrase the question: is control of the Supreme Court so important it is worth any political price?  Is there a point where the trade offs wouldn’t be worth it?  
I like many of the policies, not the guy himself.  There are a lot of us in that group.

On the second question - of course there is a limit.  

Honest question - does he really get credit for Supreme Court nominations?  He didn't do anything most other republicans would not have done.  I give him zero credit as an accomplishment.
:goodposting:

The guy is working off a list that other people put together.

Users who are viewing this thread