What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Succession on HBO (1 Viewer)

Finished Season 1. Great ending. It's a good show and I'll keep watching but I wouldn't say it's great. 

Hoping for better in season 2.

L to the OG! lmao

Finishing up with the finale tonight probably. Second half of season 2 has been great. 

Tom and Greg are hilarious. Roman has some of the best lines. 

Roman picturing his father having sex with Rhea: Like a rhino ####### a hummingbird. :lmao:  

I've been staying out of this thread until I was all caught up. Finally finished the S2 finale last night.

I was on this board a long time ago and I seem to remember there was a way to post spoilers, but since I don't see that capability any more, I'll just say this: 

IT'S SO ON!!!!!!

The thing about that accident that sticks with me is that the waiter grabbed the steering wheel and pulled the car off the bridge.  Other than the obvious problems with driving in an impaired condition, the accident was more the kid's fault than the driver.  Obviously, there are no witnesses other than Kendall, so he can say anything and it comes down to his credibility.  It would be a PR nightmare, and he may have some criminal liability for leaving the scene or something minor like that, but with good lawyers I don't think he would face jail time in the real world.  There's no way they could prove his drunken/drugged state at the time of the accident.  Of course this show can do anything it wants, but in the real world I'm not even sure how Logan would play that card if he wanted to.  He'd have to contact the local police where the accident took place and present the evidence he's been hiding, tell his story - probably through his cover-up guy.  In the end, he's probably got as big a problem with this thing as Kendall.
I also think that the moment it happened was when Logan had the most leverage over Ken. The hostile takeover was about to happen, and he could totally take him out of commission at a crucial moment. I think it would be much harder to do now, especially given that Logan is complicit in the coverup (and especially because "being complicit in covering up deaths" is one of the things Ken is accusing Logan of). They even made this connection explicit when Logan told Ken that the waiter was an "NRPI".

I also think that the moment it happened was when Logan had the most leverage over Ken. The hostile takeover was about to happen, and he could totally take him out of commission at a crucial moment. I think it would be much harder to do now, especially given that Logan is complicit in the coverup (and especially because "being complicit in covering up deaths" is one of the things Ken is accusing Logan of). They even made this connection explicit when Logan told Ken that the waiter was an "NRPI".
Thinking about this some more ...

The other reason Kendall might not be as vulnerable to blackmail now is that, the first two times he went after his dad, taking out Logan was just a hurdle on his way to achieving what he really wanted: the CEO chair. This time, it feels much more personal, and much more like a kamikaze mission. His main goal seems to be taking down the old man. As a result, he might be more DGAF in terms of his own future.

That said, the callback to the incident in the finale definitely felt like a "Chekhov's gun" moment. I could definitely see Logan trying to use it against Ken in their upcoming battle, even if I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Oh, and speaking of Chekhov, anyone else wondering when the d##k-pic Ken sent to Naomi is going to re-emerge at an inauspicious time? 

Last edited by a moderator:

The other reason Kendall might not be as vulnerable to blackmail now is that, the first two times he went after his dad, taking out Logan was just a hurdle on his way to achieving what he really wanted: the CEO chair. This time, it feels much more personal, and much more like a kamikaze mission. His main goal seems to be taking down the old man. As a result, he might be more DGAF in terms of his own future.

That said, the callback to the incident in the finale definitely felt like a "Chekhov's gun" moment. I could definitely see Logan trying to use it against Ken in their upcoming battle, even if I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Oh, and speaking of Chekhov, anyone else wondering when the d##k-pic Ken sent to Naomi is going to re-emerge at an inauspicious time? 
Its been a long time but forgot about that. Good catch. OTOH, I imagine theres tons of those out there given that Kendall is a "recovering" dope head. 

just finished season 1...I know, late to the game. 

Show is really good but lots of slow dips that could easily see asking yourself "is this worth it?" Def picked up at the end few episodes. Whole wedding was a great piece of tension.  

Saw someone earlier in the thread say they didn't like a single character....but I think thats the point. You are not supposed to like these people. They are exactly what we think of billionaire families living off what their father built and living so lavishly their whole lives that they are out of touch with reality.

Kendall: wants to be his father but seriously lacks the ability. Very few people actually run an enterprise of that size. 
Shiv: Whats to desperately be her own person. IMO She's the smartest of them all and doesn't want to be given her success because of who she is. 
Roman is the typical spoiled rich kid who never grew up. He is trying to take his role in the company seriously bc he knows he would never make it without being handed it. But he also cant stop being 12. (Culkin plays him perfectly BTW, and is one main reason I stuck it out) 
Tom is the bumbling executive who we have all had and wonder "How the F did he ever het this job?"
Connor is the one who wants nothing to do with the dirty business end of wealth, but is so caught up in the privilege that he is cant fully divorce himself from the family even though he contributes absolutely nothing. .  
Greg is Greg, awesome character. 

Overall, my favorite character is Logan. I feel the respect for building this empire, but at that level of wealth, the fortune, power and control is more powerful than his family. He obviously loves his family, but he is a man divided over blood and his empire. I love how he is constantly 3 steps ahead of everyone as they all try and rip him out of power. 

I don't like the casting of the wife Marcia. I know its just me, but I can barely understand a lot of her dialog. With her accent and low mumbling its tough to make out what she said 1/2 the time. Which sucks because IMO I think she will have a major part in the  power struggle between Logan and his kids. She wants the empire and Logan protected at all costs b/c that is her gravy train. 

oh and the lawyer Karolina can look in my briefs anyday.  

Last edited by a moderator:
just finished season 1...I know, late to the game. 

Show is really good but lots of slow dips that could easily see asking yourself "is this worth it?" Def picked up at the end few episodes. Whole wedding was a great piece of tension.  

I felt the same way about season 1, but the 2nd season certainly stepped up even more. Enjoy it!

100% the dead waiter will come up. My guess is that’s how Logan eventually gets him off his back.

100% the dead waiter will come up. My guess is that’s how Logan eventually gets him off his back.
The writers can do whatever they want with this show obviously and they may use this, but it’s unrealistic to me. What proof does he have? One of Logan’s henchmen coming forward with some evidence he’s held for months or longer tieing Ken to the scene? Can’t prove who was driving or alcohol/drug use. Logan paid the family something, right?  I think Kenneth brushes this off. That said, Logan will win this somehow in the end. 

CletiusMaximus said:
The writers can do whatever they want with this show obviously and they may use this, but it’s unrealistic to me. What proof does he have? One of Logan’s henchmen coming forward with some evidence he’s held for months or longer tieing Ken to the scene? Can’t prove who was driving or alcohol/drug use. Logan paid the family something, right?  I think Kenneth brushes this off. That said, Logan will win this somehow in the end. 
I remember thinking as I was watching that scene that, the moment he helped cover it up, Logan became complicit and would have a hard time using it against Kendall without implicating himself

Tom is the bumbling executive who we have all had and wonder "How the F did he ever het this job?"

If you isolate each character out of the overall narrative, the only one with progressive consistent growth is Tom. He's the one that the writing so far is indicating will eventually take over the company.

The show is trying to paint Kendall as the traitor, but the real traitor will be Shiv.

Roman will be murdered at some point. For all his flaws, he's actually the most loyal out of all the children.

Connor will be the main reason for the downfall of the family.

Logan will lose the company protecting Kendall. Kendall will likely kill himself and Logan will die trying to stop him.

This show makes much more sense if you look at it like Arrested Development, but with realism, cynicism and full of sociopaths. I'm almost sure that was the original pitch for this show, let's make it in the same vein of satire as Arrested Development, but much harder, more grim and all the characters now have real motive.

Michael Bluth - Kendall ( Always finds a way to fail with a savior/victim complex)

Gob Bluth - Roman ( Arrogant/Craves external validation to cover self loathing)

Buster Bluth - Connor ( Ignorant but lucky and ignored as non threatening)

George Bluth - Logan ( Rationalizes his core pathology)

Lindsay Bluth - Shiv ( Not as smart as she thinks about herself as being)

Tobias Funke aka Never Nude - Tom ( Failure is more about self sabotage than anything else)

George Michael Bluth - Greg ( Has no personal agency)

Sepinwall is all in on Season 3.  ‘Succession’ Season 3 Is a F**king Killer

He's been lukewarm on this show through the first two seasons.
Whenever I start watching a new show I always go to see what he's written about it. We have similar tastes (I actually went to college with him; I wouldn't say I knew him, but I knew of him). So I was really disappointed to see how down he was on it. Glad to hear he's come around.

Watched the first season.  It's great but I'm thinking it's another show where people make progresively more horrible decisions and then epic saves to get out of them.  Rinse repeat.  

Yes/no?

Watched the first season.  It's great but I'm thinking it's another show where people make progresively more horrible decisions and then epic saves to get out of them.  Rinse repeat.  

Yes/no?
Epic saves?  No I wouldn’t say that lol 

Yes/no?

No. I think it is common to regard the second season as stronger than the first. The family comes more into focus and it doesn't feel more farcical as many series do IMO

i finished season 2 yesterday, man there are so many ties to my own family (at a much smaller number financially) that i completely relate. I’d be more of a greg the egg even though i’m a grandkid and not a nephew but first born males get so many chances to ruin a dynasty that it’s believable. my uncle got away with millions and my grandpa still didn’t want to cut him out of the will 

Is it being said it's a modern set Richard the 2nd?   Trying to avoid some degree of spoilers.  
I think King Lear is the more obvious comparison, but yeah, Richard, Hamlet, McBeth and probably even some Merchant of Venice. Not that the writing is all that, but they make no bones about borrowing some classic Shakespeare family power struggle tropes. 

HBO got 1.4 million viewers for the season opener. That seems pretty good. 

Connor cracks me up with the random stuff he says. 

"I can't do this. I'm a national figure"
My wife and I BOTH repeated it and lol'd as soon as he said it.  Reminded me of how hard we laughed when Shiv called him "the first pancake" last season.

Some thoughts after last night ...

Jeremy Strong should have an emmy. He has dominated Season 2, and I'm not talking about L to the OG.

Shiv's dress ...

Is it possible Logan has been setting up Rhea from the start?

The Rhea stuff and all the backstabbing, plotting, the past couple weeks has taken the show well into a fantasy realm, but its still good.

A little disappointed that, with 2 episodes left, the show is almost entirely focused on setting up season 3.

If Gregory ends up running the company, I really think the entire multi-year investment will be down the drain.  It seems possible right now.

Marcia is the real OG - complete badass.

Roman is still a great character, but his primary role in the show seems to be limited to delivering one-liners.

I'm about here, and this is pretty spot on.  This is another HBO storyboard-free series that started as a one season and they decided to take it further.  Nothing really truly has happened since S1E1 at this point.  But it is for sure still worth it for the one liners alone.    

I'm about here, and this is pretty spot on.  This is another HBO storyboard-free series that started as a one season and they decided to take it further.  Nothing really truly has happened since S1E1 at this point.  But it is for sure still worth it for the one liners alone.    
It is pretty remarkable how little any of the characters have really changed over the course of the show. Kendall had an arc for a while, but started off S3 the exact way he was in S1

That was my take.  Kendall couldn't even log on to his laptop.  I don't know how he would have been able to set that up.  And Dad was pressing her to throw mud at him.  She just needed a little nudge.

Not sure why he would have needed to log on to the waystar network. He had his guy go out and buy those giant speakers and physically planted them all over the atrium. Could have just as easily been streaming the song to them from his personal phone.

Not sure why he would have needed to log on to the waystar network. He had his guy go out and buy those giant speakers and physically planted them all over the atrium. Could have just as easily been streaming the song to them from his personal phone.
I wasn't aware of this.  Maybe I read to much into it.

Tom isn’t taking over anything. I’m shocked he hasn’t been kicked to the curb yet. 

He was willing to take the hit for the entire family.

MacFayden is the best overall acting talent on the show. He can sell a transition from weak Tom to newly reborn strong Tom.

Even Cox is a bit one dimensional ( He's been playing Uncle Argyle from Braveheart his entire career)

Shiv's mistake is trying to game her own father. When you deal with someone like Logan, you have to come at him straight. She's too ruthless for her own good. Kendall is the only one being upfront about his intentions. He's a mix of brave and stupid at the same time. I believe there's a part of Logan that hates him for being a failure but a part that loves him for being fearless, even if it comes from a place of ignorance.

Out of all the children, Logan despises Connor the most. He won't even try. Roman's flaw isn't that he's too childish, but that he's too loyal because it's just easier. Loyalty is good, but not when it's a cover for fear.

I'm certainly not a billionaire, but I've done well for myself and have been around others who have done well for themselves. Considering my own experiences and observations, when you exist in a constant situation where people are always asking you for something, what matters is authenticity. I thought Green Book was overrated in many ways, but the core dynamic between Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali was very good. Tony Lip was crude and had poor manners and wasn't very book smart, but he was real. You knew where you stood with him. That's what appealed to Don Shirley. In a world where there was a fake acceptance of his talent, he met someone who could care less about his talent and would speak plainly even if it cost him his job.

Kendall is very real but for all the wrong reasons . Connor, Roman and Shiv are all fake in the standard way people are fake to get something from someone powerful.

Tom is actually very real. He just struggles to find his words. Telling Shiv he doesn't know if he'd be more miserable without her than the misery he feels with her is something most people wouldn't say to their supposed meal ticket.

Logan Roy isn't looking for someone who deserves to follow him, he's looking to eliminate everyone who doesn't deserve it. In that light, it's easy to see why his own children don't actually stand a chance. They want something he doesn't even want himself, not deep down.

He was willing to take the hit for the entire family.

MacFayden is the best overall acting talent on the show. He can sell a transition from weak Tom to newly reborn strong Tom.

My immediate reaction was this was him testing Shiv and Logan, not a serious offer. They both had the same reaction, clearly indicating to him they'd both be happy to take him up on it, before adding as an afterthought - "but that won't be necessary."  I think he's preparing to jump ship - something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread