What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your commute like? (1 Viewer)

What is your commute in the evening?

• 0-5 minutes

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • 5-10 minutes

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • 10-30 minutes

Votes: 65 30.2%
  • 30-60 minutes

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • 6o minutes plus?

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters
I work onsite at one of our plants pretty often.  It’s 6 miles 10-15 min each way

HQ is like 11 miles, probably 20 min to get there, 30-45 to get home, go there a few times a month to show my face

Just under 9 miles door to door, takes me about 20-25 minutes in the morning.  Probably about the same on the way home.  Maybe 30-35 minutes if I leave after 5.  I've been leaving by 4:30 most days, which saves some time.  The last main street I have to travel starts backing up if I leave any later.  With that in mind......... adios!

Last edited by a moderator:
22 miles round trip, on a two lane divided highway for about 50% of it (the rest is normal, city traffic w/ stoplights & stop signs). normally takes 20 -25 each way depending on day and time. 

40 miles, if I leave early enough I can get there in about 50 minutes.   Home takes 1:15.

Company car and gas card tho.

I almost always have to round at the hospital in the a.m. which is an 8 mile/20min drive and then another 11 mile/20min drive back to the office.

So 19 miles/40min most mornings but only 4 miles/8min coming home at night.

20 miles, takes me 25-30 minutes both ways if I avoid rush hour traffic.  Some back roads but mainly I-65 to downtown Indy.  If it's rush hour then probably 40 minutes.  

For the next month it's 35-45 minutes if I'm lucky since they shut down 7 miles of the interstate for bridge work.   :censored:

19 miles each way

Assuming no accidents on the highway, it's about 25 minutes in the morning (leave the house at 6:15) and 35 minutes in the evening if I leave between 5:00 - 6:30. It's a little faster if I leave before 5:00  :lmao:  or after 7:00  :kicksrock:

Current job 20 miles, about 12 of which interstate, and it's 35 to 40 minutes each way. Generally commuting the opposite way most of traffic is going.

Previous job was 8.5 miles  commuting in terrible traffic and that would take me anywhere from 30 to 60+ soul crushing minutes.

40 minutes door to door with a 5 minute walk, two subways and a 5 minute walk. Unless there are subway delays then all bets are off. 

1 mile to my university.  I can drive if I want flexibility, walk if the weather's nice, or be lazy and catch a regular shuttle from a satellite campus that's almost across the street.  

Less than 5 minutes to take a dump, brush my teeth and walk down 2 flights of stairs to my home office. 

Prior to that was 27 miles and about 45-60 minutes each way. 

1:15-1:30 each way. And it can be brutal. 

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 

I am a Mr. Mom, so 0 commute. I answered the survey for my wife. For those familiar with the area, we live in Leesburg, VA and she works in Tyson’s. It’s about 25 miles each way (she goes route 7 to avoid obscene tolls) and it takes her about an hour each way. She is able to work from home 2 day each week, which helps a ton. 

To keep her sanity on that long drive she has been listening to audiobooks; she says it really helps.

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at penn station. So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 
I admire your courage

Otis you just described my old life.  I did a very similar commute to the city for 15 years.  Summer is hell on earth, and winter is f’n miserable.  There are a couple days in between when you can take a moment to enjoy the city and everything that makes it what it is, but those days are far a few between.  I was making good living  but was commuting like some kind of hostel.  Each day it ate away at me, finally left the city for job in the burbs and haven’t looked back.  Going on 8 year and no regrets. Yes I miss the “feel” of working in the city but not enough to live like an animal.  At least it felt that way at the time. Gl

I cycle to work. 30 minutes each way. 
I take the kids to school or summer camps via subway (NYC) about 20mins and then bike to work- about 15. It's about 15 home from work on bike. 

I don't ride when it rains... Take the subway instead. Sucks. Love being on the bike instead of jammed into a tin can with all the mopes.

About 40 feet.. Work from home :bowtie:
For the last 9 years, that’s been my commute as well. 

For a couple of years my commute was 55 miles each way in Bay Area traffic - 1:30+ in the mornings and 2 hours home. Brutal. 

Then I spent 6 years commuting via the ferry - 7-8 minute drive, park, walk to the boat and wait a few minutes for boarding. Thirty minutes across the bay, reading the paper or books (when those were still things) while drinking coffee.  Then a 5 minute walk to the office. The trip home was the same except substitute cocktails for coffee.  Door to door was almost an hour, but it was such a nice way to do it that it didn’t feel like commuting. I actually look forward to having a meeting in SF on occasion so I can hop on the boat. 

20 miles each way about 30 to 35 minute drive. Half 4 lane divided highway then down to a two lane county road. Best thing is on the way home I get awesome views of the Rockies with 14,000 foot Longs Peak dominating that view.

Used to do a 26 mile commute for years to downtown Phoenix. Depending on traffic anywhere from 50 min to an hour 20.

Position was eliminated and found the same work (title, pay, etc) at one of our field locations a couple months later. Been there a year now and really enjoy my 4.4 mile 15 minute commute.

49 miles 58 minutes door to door every day.   It's long but easy

25 miles 30 minutes. Most days 100-110 for a few miles. Haven't seen a cop in the morning (14 mile bypass at 55mph) in 5 years. 80 is the people determined normal limit.

40 miles

65 mins in

50 mins home (leave early when I go in)

Thankfully I've been working from home 3-4 days a week lately. Honestly I do more work when I work from home. Driving wastes 2+ hours where I get nothing done.

22 miles each way, mostly freeway. They are in the 3rd year of a 5 year construction project to add more lanes. The morning flows pretty well 25-30 minutes. The afternoon-evening is a nightmare60-90 minutes. Sometimes waze has me just go the back way.

43 miles each way in New Jersey.  About 30 highway, 13 secondary roads.  I can make it in 50 minutes in average traffic.  Evenings can be rough if you leave at peak times, and can take 1 hour.  With a variety of routes to avoid traffic, it's rarely over 1 hour.  No traffic and I can make it in 45 minutes taking a route that is mostly highway.  

Compared to typical Jersey traffic, mine isn't bad.  I also drive pretty fast all things considered.  

Working for the same company, I used to go 1:20 when I lived in Princeton.  That was rough.  We've also moved offices 3x, and it's gotten slightly further each time.

My one way commute is 25 miles.  Today it took me 1hr 40 minutes.
Ugh. That's a major reason I've avoided big cities. 

12 miles, I take three different routes just depending on my feeling that day.

Morning is usually 20 minutes, I'm one of the first in the parking lot and avoid most traffic. We occasionally get backed up at the gate to the installation, that can add 10-15 minutes if I'm coming in later than usual.

The way home is more congested, can take 30 minutes or more. There are a few choke points (mostly due to the gate) but no good way to avoid them. 

My work is 30 miles away.  "luckily" I leave for work at 5:25AM, so there isn't any traffic to deal with.  Takes me about 35 minutes.

On the way home, I can leave as early as 3, but most days its later.  The later I leave, the longer it takes, up to 90 minutes.  If I wait it out and leave after 7, I usually don't have too much traffic, but that just sucks.

2.5 miles as the crow flies.

About a 5 min walk to the bus, 15 min ride into the city, then a 12 or so minute walk to the office. Add in a few mins here or there for waiting/getting in and out of Port Authority and it's between 35-40 mins. 

I accidentally voted 10-30 (need more coffee).  So my commute is 22 miles, it's mostly freeway and it really depends.  I would say the least amount time is going to be 30 minutes but it's generally about 40 minutes give or take on how many accidents there are on the way in.  Today there were only two so I was only delayed 15 minutes.  Some days, if there's a bad one, it could be a lot longer like 60+ minutes.  I've been at the same job for 21 years, driving the same route, so I've gotten a good feel for the traffic volume and pattern.

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

They make seats big enough for two of you on those trains? 

You missed a great opportunity to talk up the potato diet when the fat guy sits next to you on the train 

They must have big seats on the train

Brownsfan said:
22 miles each way, mostly freeway. They are in the 3rd year of a 5 year construction project to add more lanes. The morning flows pretty well 25-30 minutes. The afternoon-evening is a nightmare60-90 minutes. Sometimes waze has me just go the back way.
If you're talking about 271, boy do I not miss those days. We are considering moving out there again, but not until this project is over. 

Users who are viewing this thread