Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squistion

Michael Avenatti Thread

163 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Eliana Johnson‏ @elianayjohnson 2h2 hours ago

Per @jonathanvswan, Trump admin officials who gathered at Trump hotel over wknd virtually toasted Michael Avenatti: “At one point in the evening, a sr person at one of the outside grps joked that Avenatti might have been on GOP payroll. "You guys put Avenatti up to it, right?"

God this is like high school antics.

It's unbelievable that we've gone from an inclusive, thoughtful, respectable president like Obama, to a petty, bullying, small-minded and sophomoric president like Trump.  

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, adonis said:

It's unbelievable that we've gone from an inclusive, thoughtful, respectable president like Obama, to a petty, bullying, small-minded and sophomoric president like Trump.  

He may be those things but some of his officials toasting Avenatti seems like a normal thing to do.  I know it gets likes to just say OMG TRUMP IS SUCH A MORON, but this literally wasn’t even something Trump did.  And Avenatti earned it because he’s a major hack.

Just now, shader said:

He may be those things but some of his officials toasting Avenatti seems like a normal thing to do.  I know it gets likes to just say OMG TRUMP IS SUCH A MORON, but this literally wasn’t even something Trump did.  And Avenatti earned it because he’s a major hack.

I doubt Cohen toasts him.  

5 minutes ago, shader said:

I didn't do it for likes, I did it out of disgust.  It's disgusting to me what he's done to worsen the national discourse.  Where folks care more about pissing off liberals, and smearing folks interested in the truth, than they do in the truth itself.

It has become a game, and the games are being run by people with behavior that a high schooler should be ashamed of.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

Not really.  Avenatti turned a compelling development into another one of his usual sideshows, cheapening everything about it and making it about himself.  

1 person likes this

Democrats, the left, and various other anti-Kavanaugh persons can thank attorney Michael Avenatti for this outcome, at least in part.

The spotlight-stealing lawyer, who also represented Stormy Daniels, is responsible for drawing the media's attention to Julie Swetnick, an alleged victim of Kavanaugh who told an inconsistent and unpersuasive story. Swetnick's wild accusation provided cover for fence-sitting senators to overlook the more plausible allegation leveled by psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford, and to declare that Kavanaugh was being subjected to false smears.

Indeed, in her speech announcing her decision to vote for Kavanaugh, Collins explicitly made note of Swetnick's allegation, which she described as "outlandish."

"That such an allegation can find its way into the Supreme Court confirmation process is a stark reminder about why the presumption of innocence is so ingrained in our American consciousness," Collins said.

Sen. John Kennedy (R–La.) echoed Collins, telling MSNBC's Chuck Todd, "I think this process changed dramatically when Mr. Avenatti entered the picture. I think a lot of people, including many of my Democratic colleagues, felt like we had gotten into the foothills of preposterous."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/05/brett-kavanaugh-michael-avenatti-collins

1 person likes this

48 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Not really.  Avenatti turned a compelling development into another one of his usual sideshows, cheapening everything about it and making it about himself.  

Which, again, is why he is a perfect opponent for Trump and absolutely no one else. 

2 people like this

Can both sides, r and d, come together on this one and agree that the dude seems like a D bag.  Surely we can all agree on this.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, boots11234 said:

Can both sides, r and d, come together on this one and agree that the dude seems like a D bag.  Surely we can all agree on this.

No we can't

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, toshiba said:

No we can't

Amazing. 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, boots11234 said:
1 hour ago, toshiba said:

No we can't

Amazing. 

I feel the same about people who can't admit the same about Trump.

1 person likes this

On 10/7/2018 at 10:55 PM, ren hoek said:

Democrats, the left, and various other anti-Kavanaugh persons can thank attorney Michael Avenatti for this outcome, at least in part.

The spotlight-stealing lawyer, who also represented Stormy Daniels, is responsible for drawing the media's attention to Julie Swetnick, an alleged victim of Kavanaugh who told an inconsistent and unpersuasive story. Swetnick's wild accusation provided cover for fence-sitting senators to overlook the more plausible allegation leveled by psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford, and to declare that Kavanaugh was being subjected to false smears.

Indeed, in her speech announcing her decision to vote for Kavanaugh, Collins explicitly made note of Swetnick's allegation, which she described as "outlandish."

"That such an allegation can find its way into the Supreme Court confirmation process is a stark reminder about why the presumption of innocence is so ingrained in our American consciousness," Collins said.

Sen. John Kennedy (R–La.) echoed Collins, telling MSNBC's Chuck Todd, "I think this process changed dramatically when Mr. Avenatti entered the picture. I think a lot of people, including many of my Democratic colleagues, felt like we had gotten into the foothills of preposterous."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/05/brett-kavanaugh-michael-avenatti-collins

I am not a fan of Avenatti's behavior in the Kavanaugh case, or more broadly. And perhaps he did change the outcome in part. But he shouldn't have changed the outcome, no matter what you think of the Swetnick allegations. If he did, it's because the GOP acted in bad faith, wrongly discarding credible accusations of sexual assault just because there are also less credible accusations. 

It shouldn't be incumbent on us to tiptoe around in order to avoid giving bad people material to excuse their misdeeds. It should be incumbent on us to not let the bad people get away with doing bad things.

2 people like this

Matt Pearce  🦅‏Verified account @mattdpearce

Avenatti's whole thing is like if MAGA hats came in blue.

:lol:

2 hours ago, toshiba said:

I feel the same about people who can't admit the same about Trump.

I voted for him.  I don't particularly care for how he behaves but I do like the direction he is taking us.  Plus I don't put much weight into his behaviors as I personally know someone on his cabinet who told me he's the nicest guy, nothing like the media portrays him.   No Avenatti comes across as a crass D bag.   

1 minute ago, boots11234 said:

I voted for him.  I don't particularly care for how he behaves but I do like the direction he is taking us.  Plus I don't put much weight into his behaviors as I personally know someone on his cabinet who told me he's the nicest guy, nothing like the media portrays him.   No Avenatti comes across as a crass D bag.   

:coffee:

These first personal anecdotal stories about "I have a friend who..." always carry soooo much weight, particularly compared with documented stories of numerous vendors who were short paid or were stiffed entirely after doing work for Trump at his hotels.

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

I don't understand why people think this is persuasive. What you do in private matters, but what you do in public life matters a lot more. Most people are super nice in person, especially in professional settings. I've met lots of people whose politics make my skin crawl, and almost without exception they were gracious and decent. Doesn't matter one bit. Ripping small children out of their parents' arms and throwing them in detention centers without bothering to consider how or whether they will be reunited doesn't magically become OK if your friends think you're a good guy.

31 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

I'm not sure I understand your position.  Which is it?

1 - Trump is not a crass D bag.

2 - Trump is a crass D bag, but I don't care because I like the direction he is taking us.  

1 hour ago, boots11234 said:

Amazing

4 people like this

On 10/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, ren hoek said:

Swetnick's wild accusation provided cover for fence-sitting senators to overlook the more plausible allegation leveled by psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford, and to declare that Kavanaugh was being subjected to false smears.

I think there’s more to Swetnick’s accusations than people may know. I’m not saying I believe her as to Kavanaugh but apparently there were allegations very similar to this that shook the DC Catholic schools a few years ago.

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

I don't understand why people think this is persuasive. What you do in private matters, but what you do in public life matters a lot more. Most people are super nice in person, especially in professional settings. I've met lots of people whose politics make my skin crawl, and almost without exception they were gracious and decent. Doesn't matter one bit. Ripping small children out of their parents' arms and throwing them in detention centers without bothering to consider how or whether they will be reunited doesn't magically become OK if your friends think you're a good guy.

"Trump is a crass D-bag in public, but a really nice guy in a private setting.  Avenatti is a crass D-bag in public"

2 hours ago, squistion said:

:coffee:

These first personal anecdotal stories about "I have a friend who..." always carry soooo much weight, particularly compared with documented stories of numerous vendors who were short paid or were stiffed entirely after doing work for Trump at his hotels.

How about when compared with people's tweets, who's opinion noone really cares about or sometimes never heard of?

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I think there’s more to Swetnick’s accusations than people may know. I’m not saying I believe her as to Kavanaugh but apparently there were allegations very similar to this that shook the DC Catholic schools a few years ago.

Maybe thats where she got the details from. 

23 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

How about when compared with people's tweets, who's opinion noone really cares about or sometimes never heard of?

How about when compared to people's postings on a message board, whose opinion no one really cares about or sometimes never heard of? It's almost the same damn thing.

I may be the only one but I have zero issue with tweets being posted. They are typically at least interesting and often times make good points. Hell of a lot better than having to scroll through endless drivel from Trumpies here or non stop whining from a few particular posters (ok, one).

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

How about when compared to people's postings on a message board, whose opinion no one really cares about or sometimes never heard of? It's almost the same damn thing.

I may be the only one but I have zero issue with tweets being posted. They are typically at least interesting and often times make good points. Hell of a lot better than having to scroll through endless drivel from Trumpies here or non stop whining from a few particular posters (ok, one).

I think cowboys was mostly calling out squis for complaining about anecdotal evidence when he frequently posts tweets from random people telling anecdotal stories and adds a yes nodding smiley.

So not so much complaining about the tweets themselves, rather the hypocrisy. 

Was my first thought when i read his post. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

I am not a fan of Avenatti's behavior in the Kavanaugh case, or more broadly. And perhaps he did change the outcome in part. But he shouldn't have changed the outcome, no matter what you think of the Swetnick allegations. If he did, it's because the GOP acted in bad faith, wrongly discarding credible accusations of sexual assault just because there are also less credible accusations. 

It shouldn't be incumbent on us to tiptoe around in order to avoid giving bad people material to excuse their misdeeds. It should be incumbent on us to not let the bad people get away with doing bad things.

I definitely agree there.  But you could really extend the same principle to the Obama administration's failure to prosecute the Bush administration for war crimes, torture, mass surveillance, etc.  It really normalized the bipartisan lawlessness we see now, when it was supposed to be the corrective.  It's likely Kavanaugh himself had a hand in crafting those policies.  They should have been imprisoned, discredited, or run out of town at the very least 10 years ago.  

Now a torturer under Bush runs the CIA.  A neoconservative turbohawk under Bush is the national security adviser.  And a partisan GOP strategist who helped draft the legal justification for the Bush era crime spree sits on the Supreme Court.  Bush himself personally called Susan Collins three times to persuade her to vote for Kavanaugh.  

Yes, we should obviously blame Trump for those things, too.  But the political landscape would simply look nothing like it does now without the formal decision being made to let those criminals skate. 

23 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think cowboys was mostly calling out squis for complaining about anecdotal evidence when he frequently posts tweets from random people telling anecdotal stories and adds a yes nodding smiley.

So not so much complaining about the tweets themselves, rather the hypocrisy. 

Was my first thought when i read his post. 

I don't do that. Please post the last tweet I did from someone random with an anecdotal story.

2 hours ago, squistion said:

I don't do that. Please post the last tweet I did from someone random with an anecdotal story.

#1 for a guy that says he has me on ignore you sure read a lot of my posts.

#2 W. Earl Sparrow jr.

#3 how about @elitefaeva

You posted their tweets. They dont have a ton of followers. Only thing they have in common was replying to a joy reid tweet regarding the starbucks incident. You have no idea who they are. 

There are others in that thread that replied to shaun king or joy reid and you posted their tweets, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt because they had at least a few thousand followers so its at least possible you know who they are and might actually work in media. 

That's only one thread. 

Cant wait to hear your made up stories of how you know these guys.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, boots11234 said:

I’m related by marriage to a person who worked on a certain television show and your friend the cabinet member is either not telling you the truth or has had a very, very different experience than the person I’m related to did while working on said show. 

11 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

#1 for a guy that says he has me on ignore you sure read a lot of my posts.

#2 W. Earl Sparrow jr.

You had to go back to April to find an example? Sheesh. And Earl Sparrow was not a random tweet with a personal anecdotal story (which is what you accused me of doing here). It related to the discussion in the thread at the time - people were talking about the Starbucks manager's 911 call and he jokingly facetiously speculated how the call actually went down (he didn't claim he was reporting what an anonymous friend told him).

I'd rather have Avenatti work with my business finances or watch my children than Trump.  And that #### isn't close.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:40 PM, boots11234 said:

The guys is pretty much acts like Trump. Figured Trump fans would  secretly love the guy - he tells it like it is, a fighter, etc.

:lol: it’s convenient you don’t put much weight in Trump’s behaviors. We’ll just skip over the constant lies, crying, hypocrisy, and general awfulness of his act that we get on a weekly basis.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, The General said:

:lol: it’s convenient you don’t put much weight in Trump’s behaviors. We’ll just skip over the constant lies, crying, hypocrisy, and general awfulness of his act that we get on a weekly basis.

It's so freaking hypocritical to cherry pick specific actions by Dem supporters as proving the awfulness of the party but, when presented with daily evidence of the leader of the GOP outright lying, being disrespectful to Americans and others across the globe, numerous evidence of corruption and tax fraud and just generally behaving like a 6-year old would and it's brushed off like none of it matters. It only matters when the other side does it. And, if they acknowledge their own crappy behaviour they excuse it in the next breathe with a "whataboutism." It was horribly bad when a Den did something but when a Repub does it to a worse degree later it's okay cause "whatabouts." And the dolts lap it up.

2 people like this

I am not sure Avenatti's message of fighting fire with fire and engaging in the same tactics as Republicans will resonate with Democratic voters. We will see...

Michael Avenatti @MichaelAvenatti 8m8 minutes ago

“Establishment” kinder gentler Dems like @PattiSolisDoyle are the problem. They are why we continue to get beat and why we are presently in a fight for the survival of this republic. Their weak approaches are why we lost 2000, lost 2016, never got Garland a vote, etc. etc. #Basta

We must realize that the other side has no interest in playing nice. They laugh at approaches like those of @PattiSolisDoyle because they ensure that Rs will continue to prevail and destroy what makes this country America. We can no longer afford to turn the other cheek.

Mike acted like a normal person while appearing on the adam carrolla & mark geragos podcast this week.