What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is John Lithgow's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature role

• Roberta Muldoon - The World according to Garp

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • John Valentine - The twilight Zone Movie

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Sam Burns - Terms of Endearment

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Rev. Moore - Footloose

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Lord John Whorfin - Buckaroo Banzai

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • George Henderson - Harry and the Hendersons

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Qualen - Cliffhanger

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Dr. Duck Solomon - 3rd rock from the sun

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Lord Farquaad - Shrek

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Arthur Mitchell - Dexter

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
I'm going with the 3rd Rock character because it's tough to overcome the impact of a long running series.

Lithgow was creepily evil as the villain in Brian De Palma's "Blow Out".

My first thought was Dexter but I knew that would only be shared by anyone who's seen that season. 

My second guess was whoever he played in 3rd Rock, and I didn't know the name of his character since I'd never seen it...proving it to be the correct answer.

Nick Vermeil said:
Voted Garp. Love him in that. Love him in general. We could use more Lithgow in life. 
constantly stretching and reinventing himself as an actor. huge fan.

but I voted Whorfin.

That fourth season of Dexter was some of the best tv ever and in large part because of how great Lithgow was in that role. Dude won the Emmy that year and deservedly so.

Since all the later seasons after that were so bad and the show petered out I think it has caused people to forget or diminish their memories of how amazing those early seasons were.

Lithgow was the bad guy in a 90s De Palma movie called Raising Cain where he had multiple personalities. I'm sure it wouldn't hold up today, but I remember that movie and Lithgow being creepy as #### and crazy as hell back then which might have been why the Dexter folks thought he would make a good Trinity.

His role as the estranged father in "This is Forty". He and Albert Brooks have a great scene where they talk about how much Surgeons make.

Cjw_55106 said:
Never watched a second of 3rd Rock, but that's what I voted for.

Loved him in Dexter. 
Agreed.  I never watched it either, but If you counted the minutes, I've seen Lithgow in more 3rd Rock promos in my life than in everything else I've seen him in combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
he's a fun actor. able to ham it up, chew scenery and everything else with the best of them. however, he's able to dial it down for roles too. i think of him like this in films like "Love Is Strange" with Alfred Molina. He's really kind of reliable in that you never ever think he's the problem with whatever bad movie or tv show you're watching.

His role as the estranged father in "This is Forty". He and Albert Brooks have a great scene where they talk about how much Surgeons make.
Lithgow was a small part of that movie but I thought he was great. Particularly loved the part where he has kind of a breakdown and admits that his other family is a total mess.

Users who are viewing this thread