What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Religion is a cult (1 Viewer)

This is how I know it's a cult, I feel guilt anytime I question my beliefs I was raised on.  It takes real strength to look at things objective.

Was raised Catholic. It never meant anything to me. 

Just a bunch of memorized prayers I recited without question until later in life. 

I’m cool with people believing in God. Why wouldn’t I be? But organized religion is just awful. 
Same. Catholic school for 12 years. I never cared for going to Chuch, fought my parents really hard about getting confirmed but my parents ended up making a strong argument:

- If you don't get confirmed, you might not be able to attend the high school with all your friends. 

- If you think this religion this is a bunch of nonsense than being confirmed means nothing so what difference does it make? 

Definitions

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Cult: a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object

Seems like a distinction without a difference.  :shrug:

Just a straight google search using the first definition to appear at the top. No hidden agenda (hit the link yourself to see what comes up first)

After college I lived with my parents for a bit which meant I was back to going to church on Sunday mornings.  I remember sitting in a "young adult" Sunday school class where the lesson was on cults.  The teacher obviously didn't consider Christianity a cult, but it was mentioned that Buddhism is a cult.  I just shook my head at the complete lack of self-awareness and small-minded worldview that some of these people live with.  

I very much look forward to the day when these Bronze-aged religions are viewed by society as being no different than Ancient Egyptians worshiping the sun.  Unfortunately, despite the fact that we live in the information age, I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.    

Son of a hysterical immigrant Irish Catholic and a Vermont farmboy who's never been in a church but for weddings, funerals & his kids' youthful sacraments.

I've always admired the individual search for God(s) and tried to respect the peace & purpose modest belief can give. Nonetheless, i am virtually certain that humankind has no chance to advance past adolescence until the old agrarian myths and the power plays behind them completely lose sway in the human heart.

I very much look forward to the day when these Bronze-aged religions are viewed by society as being no different than Ancient Egyptians worshiping the sun.  Unfortunately, despite the fact that we live in the information age, I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.    
Any theories on why it hasn't happened yet? Why have humans ditched some gods but not others?

You should look up the definition of both before you erroneously declare them to be the same.

Words have meaning, and it appears you don’t know the meaning of either word.  
Are either of you going to elaborate, or do you believe you've sufficiently made a point here?

Curious what you would say the difference is, other than some arbitrary cutoff at size of group.  A few hundred worshipers: cult; a few billion: religion?  

Any theories on why it hasn't happened yet? Why have humans ditched some gods but not others?
While society is moving in the right direction, I think it's a slow evolution.  Many people are still being brought up under the same religious doctrines that their parents were and don't bother to deeply question what they were taught when they're younger.  Also, I don't think there's been a pronounced secular alternative to fill the gap of hope and community that religion provides for many.  We'll get there eventually, but it's going to take time for concepts like atheism and secular humanism to lose their negative stigmas.    

Money has become the modern day god for many people.  Many people have no problem setting aside morals in order to increase their net worth and to satisfy their insatiable desire to acquire material things.  Many churches and cults (I'm certainly not implying that all of them) are basically institutions with this same dynamic being the foundation for their existence.   

Add to that the newer, even weirder ones like Scientology that pop up too.  I doubt we ever get to the point that you are hoping for (even though I would love to see it happen as well). 

Politics has become a worse cult...
It will happen eventually.  The time needed is inversely correlated with the amount of power the GOP has.

(BTW, I grew up religious and Republican.  I've wised up and left both. :thumbup:

Same. Catholic school for 12 years. I never cared for going to Chuch, fought my parents really hard about getting confirmed but my parents ended up making a strong argument:

- If you don't get confirmed, you might not be able to attend the high school with all your friends. 

- If you think this religion this is a bunch of nonsense than being confirmed means nothing so what difference does it make? 
Raised Catholic, went to catholic grade school through 8th grade and attended church twice per week (mid week during school and every Sunday with parents). 

I pray at night, live a good life and am good to others so the upbringing helped get me to that. But, the idea that if you don't go to church for 1 hr a week than you aren't a good Christian is just ridiculous to me.   The lightbulb moment for me was when I was around 13 yrs old and I remember distinctly having the thought.....if God knows everything, than he also knows that I'm hating sitting in this church right now and would rather be at home getting ready to watch football.   From that point forward I looked at attending church with a different lens and it really changed my perception of it. 

Now when I do go to church it just weirds me out....big groups of people knowingly chanting on queue, the up down up down kneeling when a person extends a hand, single file lines with your head down to receive a sliver of bread.    

I live life everyday in a way that represents goodness which is what really matters.  Chanting in church for an hour a week or not eating meat on a Friday doesn't change any of that 

While society is moving in the right direction, I think it's a slow evolution.
Do you expect this evolution to speed up over time? Will gods be rejected at a faster rate?

Many people are still being brought up under the same religious doctrines that their parents were and don't bother to deeply question what they were taught when they're younger.
Why do you think people don't deeply question what they were taught? Does deeply questioning necessarily lead to a change in belief or do you think you can deeply question and still believe?

Also, I don't think there's been a pronounced secular alternative to fill the gap of hope and community that religion provides for many. 
Do you think a secular alternative would remain secular or would it just turn into another religion?

We'll get there eventually, but it's going to take time for concepts like atheism and secular humanism to lose their negative stigmas.    
Even as a Christian, I'd love to see atheism and other competing beliefs lose their stigma. I'm a fan of people being able to share what they believe without fear. Continuing stigmas is a sign that one side doesn't really want to learn about the other side and think they have it all figured out.

Now when I do go to church it just weirds me out....big groups of people knowingly chanting on queue, the up down up down kneeling when a person extends a hand, single file lines with your head down to receive a sliver of bread. 
A lot of churches aren't like that. Of course, they may do other things you find weird.

The human instrument is designed for triumph - over hard ground, capricious elements, rapacious foes. God was invented (even if he already existed) to put reasons behind effort and make "thrive" the step past "survive".

Industrialization rescued a great portion of humanity from elemental struggle and proved there to be scientific reasons behind most miracles. Good news for the human body but not the soul. So we invented far more wars than we needed and, once the cost of that was known, made abstractions of triumph in other ways. Sports teams, state pride, party politics and then electronic media made further extrapolations upon those inclinations til life became largely a game. Victory, victory is our cry!

For some, "let's play" doesnt work, however. These people do not value power for how many we can include but how many they can exclude. "One God" and "Gates of Heaven" religions put the power of godly judgement, even damnation, behind the individual and it is no mistake that the two most judgemental religions (not to mention the ones who offer eternal reward to losers as long as they believe) have become the world's most abiding ones. Our next step won't come until that is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raised Catholic, went to catholic grade school through 8th grade and attended church twice per week (mid week during school and every Sunday with parents). 

I pray at night, live a good life and am good to others so the upbringing helped get me to that. But, the idea that if you don't go to church for 1 hr a week than you aren't a good Christian is just ridiculous to me.   The lightbulb moment for me was when I was around 13 yrs old and I remember distinctly having the thought.....if God knows everything, than he also knows that I'm hating sitting in this church right now and would rather be at home getting ready to watch football.   From that point forward I looked at attending church with a different lens and it really changed my perception of it. 

I live life everyday in a way that represents goodness which is what really matters.  Chanting in church for an hour a week or not eating meat on a Friday doesn't change any of that 
I agree that the moral lessons stuck with me. Jesus was a great guy, but all the pomp and ritual has never been for me.

Was raised Catholic. It never meant anything to me. 

Just a bunch of memorized prayers I recited without question until later in life. 

I’m cool with people believing in God. Why wouldn’t I be? But organized religion is just awful. 
I was raised Catholic as well.  Even have my son in the same Catholic school I went to but I'm not a fan of organized religion all that much.

Because they promise an afterlife and put men in power while teaching women to be submissive.  For a lot of people that appears solve their biggest life challenges.  

This kind of thing happens now and then (there was a church outside Chicago with a similar phenomenon and several claims of healing miracles a while back). I take it from your response that you’re either skeptical or more likely just flat out believe that it’s a hoax perpetrated by a churchgoer or a member of the clergy. If we’re going to rely on rationalism, which I’m all for, I’d love to see these kinds of claims truly scientifically tested. In other words, who is filming it and analyzing the tape? Can the liquid be analyzed and traced? Etc. I want a scientist to apply the scientific method to refute these kinds of claims if they are indeed hoaxes rather than just assuming they are bunk or not.

This kind of thing happens now and then (there was a church outside Chicago with a similar phenomenon and several claims of healing miracles a while back). I take it from your response that you’re either skeptical or more likely just flat out believe that it’s a hoax perpetrated by a churchgoer or a member of the clergy. If we’re going to rely on rationalism, which I’m all for, I’d love to see these kinds of claims truly scientifically tested. In other words, who is filming it and analyzing the tape? Can the liquid be analyzed and traced? Etc. I want a scientist to apply the scientific method to refute these kinds of claims if they are indeed hoaxes rather than just assuming they are bunk or not.
They do (when permitted).  Do a google search and you can find several samples.  But those with deep belief in such "miracles" are not going to be swayed by actual evidence.  

I don't need the scientific method.  I don't need tapes. 

Statues don't cry olive oil.  I don't find it particularly interesting how they pumped olive oil through the upper eyelid of a statue, or why olive oil (water dries before anyone notices?).

I care far more that people are dumb enough to buy it.

Was raised a Catholic, but I've come to feel pretty good about things that I know to be true and believe:

1. I know BBQ ribs are effing awesome. If God sent them, so be it. But for now, ribs are on the list.

2. I believe in a great set of boobs. Not fake over the top or fatty boobs. Just the perfect ones that fit a woman's body the way they should.

3. I know wrestling is fake. But that's cool. And the people that follow it are my friends too.

5. I believe that beer is possibly the closest thing to perfection ever created by God, some tribe in China, or the dang Germans. Maybe the Belgians. Who cares. It's beer.

6. I know that men don't give me boners. Chicks do. Not sure what that means in the spirit of spirituality, but just wanted to put out there I know chicks are hotter than men. For me.

7. I believe that fishing is better than sitting on your couch playing video games. I love the outdoors man. The outdoors makes me feel better than watching a screen. If God is outdoors, we are buds.

8. Music was clearly sent by something greater than me, you, or Ringo Starr. Music brings out the best in people. When groups of people listen to music, they are happy. But sometimes music reminds you of something bad. And that's cool. Music makes us human.

9. I know that love conquers hate. I know this. You all know this. Makes you wonder why there isn't more love around the world.

10. I believe that politicians were sent here by some evil entity in the universe, the world, maybe New Jersey, whatever. Either way, I know politicians care more about themselves than me. You know, that guy who you are representing? Yeah - they suck.

11. I believe that people are good. I believe that if people talked to each other and actually listened to what their neighbor says life would be much cooler. I also know that the people I talk to aren't nearly the lunatics you see hiding behind a screen.

12. I believe in the stars. Looking up and thinking about what's out there. Thinking maybe I'm not such hot sheeeeit in the grand scheme of things.

13. I know that you have to figure out who your family is. Could be blood, could be neighbors, could be co-workers - whatever. It's hard to be alone. And if you are, find one guy. Or girl. Heck, I'll be that guy for you. It starts somewhere, and I'm happy to be the dude that calls you a friend.

14. I believe in the human spirit. Believe what you want. Worship what you want. Be a good human. It's not that hard.

matuski said:
I don't need the scientific method.  I don't need tapes. 

Statues don't cry olive oil.  I don't find it particularly interesting how they pumped olive oil through the upper eyelid of a statue, or why olive oil (water dries before anyone notices?).

I care far more that people are dumb enough to buy it.
Given your stance, it would be utterly impossible for anyone to demonstrate a miracle (should one ever occur). So it would be impossible for you to be challenged on your implicit claim that miracles never happen. Airtight.

Given your stance, it would be utterly impossible for anyone to demonstrate a miracle (should one ever occur). So it would be impossible for you to be challenged on your implicit claim that miracles never happen. Airtight.
You won't need a scientific experiment to prove a true miracle.  If a "miracle" ever occurs it would be self evident.

This is a statue spewing olive oil out its eyeballs (actually if you look closely they screwed up and made the hole above the eyeballs).  Oops? 

Yes, my stance on this one is airtight. :yes:

Is this more of a meditation or do you believe you are having a conversation with God?  Not nitpicking I just found this part interesting given that the rest of your post suggested you had more or less left religion behind.
I wouldn't say I've left religion behind.    I believe in a greater power and I live my life in a good way as a reflection of that.   The idea if I do bad things, than bad things will come back to happen to me, and vice versa....live a good life, and good things will happen.  At some level that I can't fully explain or comprehend (obviously), I feel that God has power over those good and bad things happening to me.

What I've left behind are all of the rituals that are engrained over time.... the idea that not attending church, eating a big burger on Fridays, etc are things that God looks at as "bad" and will come back around in a negative way to me.   

I try my best to just live life daily in a positive way that God would be proud of. With that I like to end each day thanking God for the good life that I have, asking for forgiveness for anything that I wish I wouldn't have done and to bless and provide good things to all the main people in my world that I love.   Guess you could call it more of a daily reflection than meditation.

pecorino said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

pecorino said:
You want scientists wasting their time running around debunking crying statues?

What if I want to be labeled a budhist when I am really catholic?  Ya know, like how I want to be labeled a female even though I have a penis?

pecorino said:
Terrible

Users who are viewing this thread