What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duck Boat Accident (1 Viewer)

Read this in the paper this morning. We've had some storms blowing through KC, and it sounds like this one was brutal that popped up on them. Really sad story.

I'm confused about that video. Why do they look like school buses? And the term duck boat has nothing to do with ducks? Pardon my ignorance. Such a horrible story. 

I'm confused about that video. Why do they look like school buses? And the term duck boat has nothing to do with ducks? Pardon my ignorance. Such a horrible story. 
Duck boats are repurposed old military ambphibious vehicles very popular with tour groups. You drive thru town then head out onto the water. They use them in Red Sox parades and are very popular duck boat tours in town there and many other towns near water. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on a couple before.  They resemble buses more than boats.  I think the "duck" part of it is from them trying to make the exterior resemble a duck.

ETA:  And from what Christo just said.

The video of this is terrifying.  Absolutely terrifying.
I agree. I don’t think those boats aren’t meant for those conditions at all. Was that storm that sudden that they had no warning? You’d think with that type of boat on a large lake (the larger the more possibility of large waves), you’d be really watching the weather closely.

I agree. I don’t think those boats aren’t meant for those conditions at all. Was that storm that sudden that they had no warning? You’d think with that type of boat on a large lake (the larger the more possibility of large waves), you’d be really watching the weather closely.
Here is the Kansas/Missouri area, these storms can just pop up out of nowhere. Normally you can look at a weather map and see that something is coming, but I wouldn't want to speculate on this particular storm.

I just know from living here that sometimes you have a nice day and within 15 minutes all hell can break loose.

I read somewhere that a storm warning had been issued well before the accident.

When the duck boat deaths occurred in Philly a few years ago, all sorts of reporting was done about these boats. They don't see very well maintained, all that safe, and the employees don't seem to be well trained either. Recipe for disaster. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents involving these things.

Here is the Kansas/Missouri area, these storms can just pop up out of nowhere. Normally you can look at a weather map and see that something is coming, but I wouldn't want to speculate on this particular storm.

I just know from living here that sometimes you have a nice day and within 15 minutes all hell can break loose.
Got it. I’m assuming that’s a pretty large lake too, right? It looked like they were in the ocean. People who haven’t been on large lies don’t realize how big waves can get. Anyway, that big of a lake with that small/slow of a boat and I’d definitely have someone getting alerts from a service if that can happen that quick.

When the duck boat deaths occurred in Philly a few years ago, all sorts of reporting was done about these boats. They don't see very well maintained, all that safe, and the employees don't seem to be well trained either. Recipe for disaster. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents involving these things.
It takes a real freak storm and I doubt these boats go super long distances so it’d also have to be at the furthest away and exactly the wrong time. One of the boats made it and you can see both in the video. I’ve seen the tours in Boston and they mainly go on the ground and then the bay. 

Can only imagine

If they are still missing they are dead.

Also seemed that there was no way to jump out. Have to believe they knew they were going down. Very frightening. 
I’m sure you can get out but are you really going to jump out into that type of chop until you know the boat is done?

Can only imagine

If they are still missing they are dead.

Also seemed that there was no way to jump out. Have to believe they knew they were going down. Very frightening. 
The one article I read said that while life jackets are mandatory to have on the boat (1 per passenger), that it is not mandatory for anyone to wear them. No reports on if anyone was wearing one (video seems like they weren't but isn't the best quality). If not, that's some pretty extreme negligence by the operators.

Of course, I could also see how it could be problematic even if you were wearing one if the boat went under and you got stuck under the canopy. Your best would be pulling you up against the roof while the roof was pulling you under. Still seems like a vest would greatly increase your chances though.

I went on a city tour of Montreal on a duck boat several years back and I'd be lying if I said that it didn't feel sketchy.  Even in nice weather conditions in nice waters the thing felt grossly underpowered.  The video of those boats in those weather conditions is beyond frightening.  Thoughts and prayers to the passengers/families involved. 

Ugh, looks like there are also plastic shields up on the sides. Once that thing went under, it would have been almost impossible to get out.

Ugh, looks like there are also plastic shields up on the sides. Once that thing went under, it would have been almost impossible to get out.
Yeah, they had to be expecting poor weather having those side panels closed.  I took a Duck tour several years ago in D.C. and there wasn't even a top on the vehicle.  It was completely open air.

It takes a real freak storm and I doubt these boats go super long distances so it’d also have to be at the furthest away and exactly the wrong time. One of the boats made it and you can see both in the video. I’ve seen the tours in Boston and they mainly go on the ground and then the bay. 
I did a duck boat tour a few years ago in Boston.   The tour was fantastic and the crew made the experience fun.   We were making fun of how old and crappy the vehicle seemed though.   It did feel unsafe and out of place in the water.  

Second major Duck boat accident I can recall. Was one in Hot Springs about 15 years ago that took 13 lives I believe.

It did seem to pop up very quickly.  CNN mentioned someone who was about to board a larger boat but saw the winds blowing and the waves starting to kick up, so he and his wife took a refund and didn't go out.  Soon after, all hell broke loose.  

I went on a city tour of Montreal on a duck boat several years back and I'd be lying if I said that it didn't feel sketchy.  Even in nice weather conditions in nice waters the thing felt grossly underpowered.  The video of those boats in those weather conditions is beyond frightening.  Thoughts and prayers to the passengers/families involved. 
Took one in Pittsburgh the day before my wedding and totally agree.  We went out onto the river, and there were points where I wondered if it had enough power to actually go upstream if needed.  The life jackets in the thing looked as old as the boat.

Tragic! Any idea how long they were in distress and if any rescue/evacuation attempts were made? With the brief video I saw, it seemed the boat next to them recognized how bad it was. Even if another boat could have gotten to them to tow them or remove passengers. I know a lot of what if’s but they are on a lake not the ocean. Seems like someone should have been able to make it to them in time? 

Haunting watching that video.  Just awful.

Don’t know what could have been done, but moving forward, I hope that perhaps...

All seats have life jackets within arm’s reach and any distress would necessitate immediate orders to wear them, with a practice drill prior and children under a certain age required to wear them always.  

Would also expect that there should be by law a way to fully evacuate within 30 seconds from sides, windows or back if needed.  Plus training to drivers to execute.  Second the nose dipped under water, the focus should have been on evacuating the vehicle.  Yes, it was dangerous conditions and even with life jackets there would likely have been casualties, but that was a death trap.  

Suspecting none of those precautions happened here.  
More government regulations. Don't you know they just raise the cost of doing business, hamstring the economy and impede the ability of duck boat operators to make a living.

Don’t know what could have been done, but moving forward, I hope that perhaps...

All seats have life jackets within arm’s reach and any distress would necessitate immediate orders to wear them, with a practice drill prior and children under a certain age required to wear them always.  

Would also expect that there should be by law a way to fully evacuate within 30 seconds from sides, windows or back if needed.  Plus training to drivers to execute.  Second the nose dipped under water, the focus should have been on evacuating the vehicle.  Yes, it was dangerous conditions and even with life jackets there would likely have been casualties, but that was a death trap.  

I think really the only thing you could do is impose some weather limitations where those boats can't operate. I know people have said the storm came out of nowhere, but with today's technology, someone had to see something on radar (if they were looking) that would cause an issue. 

Arm chair QBing aside, sad and tragic regardless. 

I agree with this though.....from what i've read, that boat was basically a big bowl and there was little to no way off once it started to fill. Easy access out the side or back may have saved a few lives here. 

Let me preface by saying I am not a boat operator and have not operated a boat so I may be off my rocker on this, but it looked like the waves kept crashing the front of the boat putting more water onto the boat as well keeping the boat from moving forward.  Couldn't the operator have turned the boat around and head back with the motor and the wave pushing you quicker back to where they entered the body of water?  

But there could be the possibility of the waves crashing the side of the boat and possibly tipping the boat which the operator did not want to risk.

Let me preface by saying I am not a boat operator and have not operated a boat so I may be off my rocker on this, but it looked like the waves kept crashing the front of the boat putting more water onto the boat as well keeping the boat from moving forward.  Couldn't the operator have turned the boat around and head back with the motor and the wave pushing you quicker back to where they entered the body of water?  

But there could be the possibility of the waves crashing the side of the boat and possibly tipping the boat which the operator did not want to risk.
as a boat operator, best course of action in high seas is to steer directly into the waves as the front of the boat is designed to take the wave.

Waves crashing into the back of the boat would crash over the stern and fill the boat. Side to the waves is your worst option as you could capsize.

Operator looked like they were doing what they should in that situation. Had they attempted to turn, this is likely when they would have capsized.

as a boat operator, best course of action in high seas is to steer directly into the waves as the front of the boat is designed to take the wave.

Waves crashing into the back of the boat would crash over the stern and fill the boat. Side to the waves is your worst option as you could capsize.

Operator looked like they were doing what they should in that situation. Had they attempted to turn, this is likely when they would have capsized.
As a former boat operator, I agree with all of this.

However, these crafts are death traps (so are pontoon boats that travel large bodies of water). They don't draw enough to keep them stable in rough seas. I get that this was a lake and not a tidal body of water, but....well, it don't take much.

Just an awful tragedy. I thought, after Philly a few years ago, the "you could easily die" factor would overtake the cool of driving into a body of water.

As for life preservers........ I hated wearing them when I was young & dumb. But even I knew the laws that said they had to have enough onboard to cover passengers and crew, but folks didn't have to wear them was stupid. Stuff happens fast and people panic.

I’m guessing after this unfortunate incident, these “boat” tours will cease to exist. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to the victim’s family members who have to deal with such a tragic event. 

I’m guessing after this unfortunate incident, these “boat” tours will cease to exist. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to the victim’s family members who have to deal with such a tragic event. 
Something like 17 people got killed on one in Seattle a couple of years ago.   They're still operating.  As long as there is profit and someone will insure them, they'll keep going.

Something like 17 people got killed on one in Seattle a couple of years ago.   They're still operating.  As long as there is profit and someone will insure them, they'll keep going.
I hope the company who owns this operation gets surd for every penny. Safety should be their top priority and it doesn’t seem like that was the case here. 

Uruk-Hai said:
As a former boat operator, I agree with all of this.

However, these crafts are death traps (so are pontoon boats that travel large bodies of water). They don't draw enough to keep them stable in rough seas. I get that this was a lake and not a tidal body of water, but....well, it don't take much.

Just an awful tragedy. I thought, after Philly a few years ago, the "you could easily die" factor would overtake the cool of driving into a body of water.

As for life preservers........ I hated wearing them when I was young & dumb. But even I knew the laws that said they had to have enough onboard to cover passengers and crew, but folks didn't have to wear them was stupid. Stuff happens fast and people panic.
These vehicles are designed for both land and sea ... but unfortunately are terrible at both. Narrow and heavy is not a good design for floating.

I don't think this would have been so tragic had the duck boat not have enclosed sides and a roof.

In a typical boat, at least one has a chance to get out in the event of an emergency.

If the operator has survived, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the duck boat lost power (flooded engine) and he lost control.

Without power, the boat would then turn sideways and be at the mercy of the wind / waves and capsize.

These vehicles are designed for both land and sea ... but unfortunately are terrible at both. Narrow and heavy is not a good design for floating.

I don't think this would have been so tragic had the duck boat not have enclosed sides and a roof.

In a typical boat, at least one has a chance to get out in the event of an emergency.

If the operator has survived, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the duck boat lost power (flooded engine) and he lost control.

Without power, the boat would then turn sideways and be at the mercy of the wind / waves and capsize.
They don't have enclosed sides.  They look like this

Still can’t wrap my head around the fact that these death vessels are from WWII and obviously NOT used by the military since then, yet were used for family tours with a history of fatalities. 

Still can’t wrap my head around the fact that these death vessels are from WWII and obviously NOT used by the military since then, yet were used for family tours with a history of fatalities. 
They're pretty much in every major city with a waterfront.  

Users who are viewing this thread