What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you could be a top-10 athlete in any sport. (1 Viewer)

Which sport?

• Baseball

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Basketball

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Football

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Hockey

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Tennis

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Golf

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • NASCAR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soccer

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Cricket

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think we've done something similar before.  It's golf and IMO, not even close.  Little wear and tear on your body, you can play professionally essentially your entire life.  WAGs are unbelievably hot for even goobers.  You are going to the nicest locations and resorts all over the world.  No-brainer.

I think we've done something similar before.  It's golf and IMO, not even close.  Little wear and tear on your body, you can play professionally essentially your entire life.  WAGs are unbelievably hot for even goobers.  You are going to the nicest locations and resorts all over the world.  No-brainer.
I dunno.  Traveling every week.  Away from home and kids.  I've been to a couple pro ams with the dinners, etc and have seen the whole ritual.  Friend is the President of Champions Tour.  It would grow so old.  Unless you are uber elite and don't have to do that stuff

Yep. #10 Brian Harmon made $4.3 million in prize money last year.  That doesn’t include endorsements etc. Doesn’t a guy like  Spathe make something like $40 million from endorsements?

And I’m not all that familiar with the PGA regulations but can’t you skip a bunch tournaments? 

Yeah golf, especially if I’m Top 10 and I feel like taking the Pringles Invitational in Decatur, IL off it’s not hurting my pocketbook too much 

baseball would probably be 2nd but it’s such a grind

I dunno.  Traveling every week.  Away from home and kids.  I've been to a couple pro ams with the dinners, etc and have seen the whole ritual.  Friend is the President of Champions Tour.  It would grow so old.  Unless you are uber elite and don't have to do that stuff
Pretty much all of the sports I’d be willing to play would have a lot of travel.  If you want to minimize that it’s football but good luck with CTE and not being able to walk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for basketball after a little thought. As a top 10 player, I’d be max deal eligible  and likely have plenty of endorsements. 

Unlike football, it’s more likely I finish my career without some significant long term effects on my body. 

I think others are under appreciating the length of fame in this equation. I think it’d be fun for a while and to make a lot of money, but I’d prefer to be in a sport where my fame would eventually fade from immediate forefront so I could have a life after my sport. 

I voted for basketball after a little thought. As a top 10 player, I’d be max deal eligible  and likely have plenty of endorsements. 

Unlike football, it’s more likely I finish my career without some significant long term effects on my body. 

I think others are under appreciating the length of fame in this equation. I think it’d be fun for a while and to make a lot of money, but I’d prefer to be in a sport where my fame would eventually fade from immediate forefront so I could have a life after my sport. 
You could always stop playing if you are tired of being famous.  Also, there’s a lot of top-10 golfers over the years that we couldn’t pick out of a lineup.  I’m not sure if I walked by Jordan Speith or Justin Thomas on the street that I would even recognize them.  

I would write the same thing down to the pronouns and punctuation.

Baseball and basketball are great choices due to pay, chance for injury, length of career. I think I’d like soccer more though. Huge contracts, international travel, a chance to make history for US sports and incredible fame being the greatest American soccer player of all time. 

Baseball and basketball are great choices due to pay, chance for injury, length of career. I think I’d like soccer more though. Huge contracts, international travel, a chance to make history for US sports and incredible fame being the greatest American soccer player of all time. 
There can only be one Alexi Lalas, pal.

Most retired hockey players still have healthy knees and hips.

And i like to say "Organ-eye-ZA-shun"

If you were top 10 in the world at gold, you would love it. That goes for pretty much any sport, it has to feel amazing to be that good at something. 

- also- what a bold move having an intermisison and an entr'acte. 

Baseball, easily.

Have not watched a single game from start to finish since 1994, but if I were a professional athlete nothing would be finer than playing baseball.

Baseball, easily.

Have not watched a single game from start to finish since 1994, but if I were a professional athlete nothing would be finer than playing baseball.
Baseball would be a nice life as well, can play for a long time, great money. You'd have to watch 162+ games a year though, plus Spring Training. I like baseball but that's a lot.

Piping drives 350 down the middle of a fairway, picking where you want to play would be pretty great.

Baseball would be a nice life as well, can play for a long time, great money. You'd have to watch 162+ games a year though, plus Spring Training. I like baseball but that's a lot.

Piping drives 350 down the middle of a fairway, picking where you want to play would be pretty great.
Golf is my #2.  We nearly concur.

No one cares/mentions how much fun the sport is to actually play?  Seems like 15+ years of doing this every day that would be a part of it too.

Football, basketball, soccer all lots of fun to play.

Golf would be nice because you wouldn't necessarily have to stay in shape.

What sport would I least want to be top 10? MMA

Being top 10 in MMA means that I'm due for a humiliating defeat, with three scoops of pain.

Safe to assume the pay sucks too, all things considered?

I could be the John Daly of tennis. The top 10 players are at about $3 mill so far this year. I’ll take $4 million and call it good. 

Plus I get to do those money grab yours during the off-season. My endorsements would be crazy after I play Wimbledon with a Marlboro light in my mouth and a bud heavy between sets. 

I’m in on that for 5 years before I retire.

I was going to vote golf but I played baseball for a long time. As a pitcher, top 10 in that sport? $150M+?

Sign me up. 

I agree but it's probably getting a lot of bonus points for being the team you play on. That and knowing all your teamates/coaches has to make every game pretty interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread