What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Every now and then I do a search on youtube for "Dennis DeYoung" to watch his most recent concerts of classic Styx songs. I wish classic rock artists still playing their songs today were the norm, and not the exception.

Probably doesn't help that some of them are dead now. 

The other anecdotal observation I would make about Boston is that it’s strictly, in my experience, a guy thing. I’ve never met a woman who particularly cared for this music. Not exactly sure why that is- other male classic rock bands always seem to attract tons of women- but I’d put these guys in the Rush category in that, if you’re talking to a fan, it’s probably a guy. 

A white guy. 

The other anecdotal observation I would make about Boston is that it’s strictly, in my experience, a guy thing. I’ve never met a woman who particularly cared for this music. Not exactly sure why that is- other male classic rock bands always seem to attract tons of women- but I’d put these guys in the Rush category in that, if you’re talking to a fan, it’s probably a guy. 

A white guy. 
I'm gonna have to beg to differ here. In '76 I was 18 which was the legal drinking age at the time in FL and I frequented a bar in Jax called The Other Place (OP to regs). There was a regular band there "Zeus" that played several Boston covers. "Let Me Take You Home Tonite" was in their last set and unless you looked like Quasimoto you were gonna score due to that song. 

Also, back then we had a stack of albums next to the stereo. When the girls picked the tunes, after thumbing through the stack of BOC, Yes, Pink Floyd, Zep, Hendrix, Kansas, Styx, Steve Miller, Heart, Alan Parsons, Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Robin Trower, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Golden Earring, Pat Travers, ELO, Skyhooks, Peter Frampton, Gary Wright, Bad Company,  --------  Boston was a fav! Great album!

Not a huge Boston fan, but More Than A Feeling was pretty much pop perfection.

Also saw them in concert when they toured behind the first album.  They played so many encores the fans started leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:

A white guy. 
I call BS on this. I saw Boston in '95 and there were a lot of guys and girls there.  More Than a Feeling is a song loved by both men and women.  Shoot, I doubt Amanda gets to number 1 on the pop charts in '86 thanks to men. 

I call BS on this. I saw Boston in '95 and there were a lot of guys and girls there.  More Than a Feeling is a song loved by both men and women.  Shoot, I doubt Amanda gets to number 1 on the pop charts in '86 thanks to men. 
total bs. I saw them 2 years ago in Nampa. Tons of women there. My wife has always liked them more than I did and I like them a lot.  Senior year in HS when it came out.

total bs. I saw them 2 years ago in Nampa. Tons of women there. My wife has always liked them more than I did and I like them a lot.  Senior year in HS when it came out.
I would also submit that it is very difficult sell records at a record-breaking clip by appealing to a narrow or single demographic. 

Boston sold the most records of any debut in the U.S. ever (at the time), which you don't do by appealing to just white men. 

It’s absolutely is BS.

The white male posting by him is a red flag 

Hey I said it was anecdotal all right? Just my experience. I love this album but all the women I’ve ever known in my life ask me to turn it off whenever I play it. 

Tim's labeling aside, the album is an obvious classic and remains one of my all-time favorites.  If I had to rank songs on how much they kicked my ### on the first listen, Foreplay/Long Time would be in the conversation for number 1. Unbelievable.

Hitch a Ride has long been a personal favorite as well. 

Silliness aside, there are countless great rock records from the 70's that are true classics, so this thread should be fun. I am always in favor of good music chatter.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

Tim's labeling aside, the album is an obvious classic and remains one of my all-time favorites.  If I had to rank songs on how much they kicked my ### on the first listen, Foreplay/Long Time would be in the conversation for number 1. Unbelievable.

Hitch a Ride has long been a personal favorite as well. 
Now look. I love this band and I love this music. 

But with a very few exceptions (and they’re all worth discussing) traditional classic rock is white people’s music. That’s just the way it is. Some of it (the best of it IMO) has blues elements, but it was written for and consumed by white teenagers (of which I was one at the time.) 

Now look. I love this band and I love this music. 

But with a very few exceptions (and they’re all worth discussing) traditional classic rock is white people’s music. That’s just the way it is. Some of it (the best of it IMO) has blues elements, but it was written for and consumed by white teenagers (of which I was one at the time.) 
So? Why does it matter? It's like you are crapping on your own thread.  It's like if someone started a rap thread and said it was meant to appeal to just black people...what would be the point of that?  Jeez, even when you start a thread that should be fun and all about great music, you have to drag this nonsense into it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :no:  

I love Thin Lizzy. Along with the Boomtown Rats best Irish band ever. (U2 is mediocre IMO). 
I’m a big fan of Thin Lizzy

The Boomtown Rats couldn’t wipe Stiff Little Fingers ### and The Undertones as well

As far as U2 is concerned I think the later in their career backlash is unjustified 

So? Why does it matter? It's like you are crapping on your own thread.  It's like if someone started a rap thread and said it was meant to appeal to just black people...what would be the point of that?  Jeez, even when you start a thread that should be fun and all about great music, you have to drag this nonsense into it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :no:  
It doesn’t matter. I was simply defending my earlier point which was criticized. But whatever I don’t care. From this point forward I’ll stick to discussing the music. 

The Boomtown Rats couldn’t wipe Stiff Little Fingers ### and The Undertones as well

As far as U2 is concerned I think the later in their career backlash is unjustified 
Those are some great bands that you mentioned but I disagree. 

However wrong thread. Thin Lizzy is the only one of these bands that could be called classic rock. 

Never could get into them, outside of a few songs. I had a few friends who liked them a lot, but they never grabbed me. 

Lately, I tend to go for the more laid back classic rock like Little River Band and The Doobie Brothers, so I hope to see them featured at some point.

As always, I go in waves with what I am listening to. Lately, it has been a ton of XTC, but wrong thread for that. :lol:  

Those are some great bands that you mentioned but I disagree. 

However wrong thread. Thin Lizzy is the only one of these bands that could be called classic rock. 
U2 is now played on classic rock stations. I still prefer the 60s & 70s for my classic rock

I get why they are played now, as rock music from the 80's is now old enough to have attained "classic" status, but for old fogies like us, classic rock will always be music from the late 60's through around 1980-ish. 
What's crazy, is that when I started listening to Led Zeppelin and the like on classic rock radio in the late 80's, it was only like 15-20 years old.  That would be like stuff from ~2000 right now.

timschochet said:
Greetings everyone, I am hoping to engage in a classic rock thread , purely what we used to call album oriented rock (AOR) from the classic era (roughly 1966-1980)- no other genres like punk or thrash or new wave, no heavy metal (unless it’s  Black Sabbath)- purely the classics. 

This will be the next album on the discussion list. 
:confused:   :confused:

I always think of the Cars as more of an 80's band.   Sure, their first two albums were from the late 70's, and while they have a couple songs that could be called classic rock staples, they were part of that new wave/post-punk trend along with the Police, Talking Heads and XTC, all of whom have sounds way more identifiable with the 80's than the classic rock sound of the 70's, which admittedly has a very broad umbrella. Judgment call, I suppose. 

As it relates to The Cars, growing up their songs were played on the local classic rock station. While they had new wave influences- especially later in their career, their debut is pure power pop imo. 

Agree with much of what has been said about the Boston debut.

Awesome musicianship and tight sound, and Delp’s chops make it as much as Scholz’s craft. Very overplayed, but there’s good reason for that. My main quibble is that the album (and the bulk of their material) is indeed too much of a one trick pony for my taste. But they aren’t the first band to have a narrow sound and perfected it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as The Cars are concerned, I'm going power pop/new wave over classic rock. It's just a feeling. And I like the nightlife, baby. Classic rock as a radio staple had its hand thrust upon it by the Cars rather than the AOR big supply inertia. How about Bad Company?  

I think the Cars are very much classic rock, but that’s for another thread. 
No kidding. I'd love to hear why. I'll sit back, listen, thrust, parry, and debate in my own head. This is the official classic rock thread after all.  

OK we’ll table the Cars for another time. The next album under discussion will be yet another debut album by an American band, this time from 1975, but recorded and first released in Canada. I’ll do a full write up tomorrow. 

I don’t think of them when I hear the term “classic rock” but The Cars are most definitely classic rock dressed up as a new wave/power pop.

The term new wave actually bothers me as a label because there were vastly different bands labeled as new wave just to label them. Bands labeled new wave in the late 70s were much different than the early 80s

Users who are viewing this thread