What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Cliff was amazing but people really short change Jason. Some people have put out a "remastered" AJFA on youtube where there is actual bass and it makes it even better. 

...And Justice for Jason
I didn't mean to knock Newstead as a player, just that the chemistry and songwriting couldn't be replicated by someone else.  James, Lars and Kirk looked up to Burton, whereas they took the opportunity of their first record together to punish Jason.  (not counting Garage Days that featured Jason prominently and sounded great)

So let me set the stage :  1986 I graduated from HS, angry young man that I was, getting ready for college.  Small town boy, moves from a sleepy little farm town to the "big city" (Cincinnati - yeah I know) and in those days, Metallica wasn't even a blip.  And if you were a college kid, Metallica wasn't on your radar.  If it was, you were some kind of weirdo and even in the metal fan circles, there were a lot of guys that called anything like Metallica "speed metal garbage."  The crowd that listened to that "crap" were long haired, denim/leather jacket crowd, loser, drug smoking, biker-type dirtbags.  And I blew them off until my older brother, who was in the Air Force, came home for leave and dropped Ride The Lightning and the then brand new Master of Puppets tapes in his aftermarket Kenwood stereo with the Pioneer amp and matching Pioneer speakers in his Dodge Charger.

Honestly, I was hooked on the very first listen.  Because I listened to them at the exact same time (literally on the same day) - I still lump them together and the songs are somewhat blurred to me.  That and because I'm pretty sure I copied those tapes onto one tape, Ride the Lightening - Side 1 and Master - Side 2 before I bought those tapes.  The stunner to me was "The Call of Ktulu" instrumental. . . wait a minute - these drugged up speed metal morons are familiar with HP Lovecraft?  Could it be I am just another judgmental turd - like an old person?  Could it be that "don't judge a book by the cover" isn't some stupid saying after all?  An 18 year old's mind was blown in many ways at that time.

Fantastic album, top to bottom MoP.  I spent the next 4 or 5 years (from 86 until The Black Album) trying to convince anyone and everyone I knew that "no, really, this group Metallica is amazing, PLEASE, you have to give this a try. . . "   And side note about Metallica.  I still, even after all these years, I cannot believe that these guys caught on.  They were so, so much on the fringe for so long (it seemed) to me that I thought groups like Dokken, Scorpions, Ratt, etc. would be around long after these guys hung it up.  I never imagined they would catch on let alone become mainstream.  Shows you what I know! :)

From the summer of '86 to the summer of '87, we had Metallica's Master of Puppets, Megadeth's Peace Sell, Slayer's Reign in Blood and Anthrax's Among the Living. Just a mind-blowing time leaving no doubt that we were entering a whole new era in metal. While I always preferred Megadeth and Slayer, there was no debate who the kings were. MoP is amazing start to finish and is about as perfect a metal album as there ever was.

I know I'm in the minority, as I was at the time, but I always saw their song One as the beginning of the end for the band due to its success. Not that I didn't like the song but it just felt like it would lead them in a different direction. I wasn't a fan of the Black Album and never really listened to anything from them after that.

From the summer of '86 to the summer of '87, we had Metallica's Master of Puppets, Megadeth's Peace Sell, Slayer's Reign in Blood and Anthrax's Among the Living. Just a mind-blowing time leaving no doubt that we were entering a whole new era in metal. While I always preferred Megadeth and Slayer, there was no debate who the kings were. MoP is amazing start to finish and is about as perfect a metal album as there ever was.

I know I'm in the minority, as I was at the time, but I always saw their song One as the beginning of the end for the band due to its success. Not that I didn't like the song but it just felt like it would lead them in a different direction. I wasn't a fan of the Black Album and never really listened to anything from them after that.
I agree - One was really their "commercial" breakthrough. 

I first saw Metallica live in 1986 and it became my band immediately.  It was the answer to all those hair bands.  They had some bad ### songs back then.  Their first 4 albums (Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, MOP, Justice for All).  Those are incredible metal albums.  Many awesome songs.  And Justice for All is so overlooked.  Not really a bad song on it in my opinion, very heavy, and Lars and Hammett were at their best on it.  MOP was right behind it for me.

I didn't really mind the next few albums.  It was still decent stuff.  It just didn't live up to the double bass with guitar solos that got the band it's start.

I agree 100% but I'll go back a little bit more.  I was disappointed to see them at the Grammy's in '89 because I felt like Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica were giving all the soft rock, glam rock, pop bands, all the "popular" artists and the rest of the music industry the middle finger with their sound and style but I felt like they caved in at that moment.  I completely get it, it would have been a colossal mistake for them to turn down the Grammy's because they launched themselves with that performance.  However, it's almost exactly like your favorite little restaurant that you want to be successful.  That place that's different, with an attitude and take it or eff off flavor and style.  Then that place becomes successful and goes national and suddenly they please the masses, lose their edge and become bland, tasteless and average.

There are songs I like on the Black Album but I agree, it's almost like a whole different band did that album and that was the last Metallica album I ever bought.  They've done songs since I really like but it's not the same as their first few albums.  

I agree 100% but I'll go back a little bit more.  I was disappointed to see them at the Grammy's in '89 because I felt like Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica were giving all the soft rock, glam rock, pop bands, all the "popular" artists and the rest of the music industry the middle finger with their sound and style but I felt like they caved in at that moment.  I completely get it, it would have been a colossal mistake for them to turn down the Grammy's because they launched themselves with that performance.  However, it's almost exactly like your favorite little restaurant that you want to be successful.  That place that's different, with an attitude and take it or eff off flavor and style.  Then that place becomes successful and goes national and suddenly they please the masses, lose their edge and become bland, tasteless and average.

There are songs I like on the Black Album but I agree, it's almost like a whole different band did that album and that was the last Metallica album I ever bought.  They've done songs since I really like but it's not the same as their first few albums.  
Let's not forget Bob Rock.  He took them in that direction, and to his credit, made them rich.  Nothing wrong with that i guess, but he was behind their downfall in a major way.  As soon as they got rid of him they started making good music again.

Arguably the greatest metal album ever. 
This is where I am.  My distain for them from the Napster days and listening to their recent output knows no bounds, but MoP is great start to finish.  I like Justice more just because that hit in the sweet spot of when I was getting into metal and that was one of the first albums that I bought on my own when I got a job, but I would say that Puppets is the better album.  

If I remember correctly I judged (tried) the metal selections in a timdraft back in the day, and gave the this one the 1st place vote.  

rockaction said:
I remember having our high school hockey team skate out to Damage, Inc. The guys loved it, too.  

In my high school world, that was the ultimate compliment and testament to a band. 

What an album. Orion is a great instrumental, Damage, Inc., Battery, Disposable Heroes, the title track...all of these songs are just back to front killer. 

At least, back then they were. 

Now? Eesh. This is why you don't get married in high school.  
I get what you are saying here, but this is the sentiment I have for bands like Korn.  Like I said above, I still think this is one of the best metal albums and it holds up well.  

Unless what you are saying is that you have completely outgrown metal and/or it's a lesser genre... then I don't get that at all.  :headbang:

August 23 is approaching and 2 of the best debut albums in music were released that day. Real tough call for Tim to pick from imo. 

ETA: I'm listening to Hardwired now. And while It's better than Load, and the crap after it, I'm still sad. 

RIP Metallica. 

ETA: I'm listening to Hardwired now. And while It's better than Load, and the crap after it, I'm still sad. 

RIP Metallica. 
The music is OK,  but James' lyrics are just gawd awful for the last decade +.  It makes the albums unlistenable to me.  (and this coming from somebody who admits that they are music before lyrics to begin with).  

The 1967 one is interesting but not a great album, we’ll get to that person later. The 1994 one I have no idea. 

In any case I already have a different direction in mind. I’ll post it tomorrow. 
Not a great album? Wow. I bet most here would disagree with yiou. 

Ilov80s said:
LOL great point, I loved this album in middle school/high school but I don't think I could listen to it now unless I am working out and even then it might be a stretch. Fantastic album for what it is though. 
Wow, I listened to it today.  Also agree it's good at work and actually helps me concentrate.  I know every riff that's coming and it helps to get things done.

Anthrax didn't age well, Slayer is an acquired taste, if you like that kind of metal, they are great, if not you probably won't.  Don't think there is a more disappointing band than Anthrax though.

Megadeth though, still churning out solid music.  

I get what you are saying here, but this is the sentiment I have for bands like Korn.  Like I said above, I still think this is one of the best metal albums and it holds up well.  

Unless what you are saying is that you have completely outgrown metal and/or it's a lesser genre... then I don't get that at all.  :headbang:
Yeah, I don't know that I've outgrown metal or think it's a lesser genre, but I don't listen to much. 

I love System Of A Down, Suicidal Tendencies, stuff like that. 

I think Master of Puppets is just played out for me though I still like Sanitarium, etc. 

eta* I should add that I've been listening to MoP for over thirty years now, so it loses its luster a bit. I even re-purchased it in my thirties to hear it (no streaming) again and dug it for a while, but now. I guess I love some of it still, but it's not what it once was.  

eta2* I don't hate metal or even thrash. I love Megadeth, Slayer, etc.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthrax didn't age well, Slayer is an acquired taste, if you like that kind of metal, they are great, if not you probably won't.  Don't think there is a more disappointing band than Anthrax though.

Totally agree, especially on Anthrax. I really liked Among the Living but their peak was pretty short lived. State of Euphoria wasn't very good and I don't think I've heard anything after that from them outside of radio play. They were a little cartoonish, so it was hard to take them seriously.

I was addicted to Toxicity when it came out. I couldn't stop listening to it.
I got into them one late night when a DJ in MD decided to play Sugar. 

As for Toxicity, I own the shirt. It's such a great album. I can't believe there are human beings that thought to even conceive of it.  

I love that Megadeth never sold out.  Tough to beat their guitar sound too. 

I never understood Anthrax and what they were trying to do.  I loved Spreading the Disease but that was it. 

I was mostly trying to be funny, but one of these didn't deserve the effort it would have taken to look it up. Thanks!
Sure, I got the joke - but was helping in case you were curious. I like both of those records a lot, although AYE is not my favorite Hendrix record, there's two I surely put ahead of it. Both would be "classics" though. Although Buckley is a bit less mainstream it was a critical darling and he had a fairly large fanbase.

Sure, I got the joke - but was helping in case you were curious. I like both of those records a lot, although AYE is not my favorite Hendrix record, there's two I surely put ahead of it. Both would be "classics" though. Although Buckley is a bit less mainstream it was a critical darling and he had a fairly large fanbase.
Not a Buckley fan but maybe I'll give it a special listen. 

Firmly entrenched in the "Ride The Lightning is the best album that Metallica gave us" camp. The Track That Should Not Be and Leper Messiah just never did it for me. I can't say that about any track on RTL 

No I didn’t have it wrong. Are You Experienced was released on May 12, 1967. The only debut album released on August 23, 1967 is Big Brother and the Holding Company, featuring Janis Joplin, but it’s an average album. 

We’ll get to Are You Experienced. Not today though. 

Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970)

Bridge Over Troubled Water

El Condor Pasa (If I Could) 

Cecilia

Keep the Customer Satisfied

So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright

The Boxer

Baby Driver

The Only Living Boy In New York

Why Don’t You Write Me

Bye Bye Love 

Song for the Asking

Obviously moving in a very different direction from Master of Puppets...

Granted, this final studio album by the famed duo has some filler (as all of their previous albums did) but in “Bridge” and “The Boxer” it also features two of the greatest pop classics of the 20th century, with “Cecilia”, “El Condor Pasa”, and “Song for the Asking” not too far behind. But my favorite song on the record is “The Only Living Boy In New York”. A great way to go out. 

No I didn’t have it wrong. Are You Experienced was released on May 12, 1967. The only debut album released on August 23, 1967 is Big Brother and the Holding Company, featuring Janis Joplin, but it’s an average album. 

We’ll get to Are You Experienced. Not today though. 
That is the British album- different cover and track list on the American release. 

Released in the US on August 23 by Reprise, Are You Experienced reached number five on the Billboard 200.[142] The album remained on Billboard's album chart for 106 weeks, 27 of those in the Top 40.[143] The North American edition of Are You Experienced featured a new cover by Karl Ferris and a new track list, with Reprise omitting "Red House", "Remember", and "Can You See Me", and including the first three A-sides omitted from the UK release: "Hey Joe", "Purple Haze", and "The Wind Cries Mary".[119]

Users who are viewing this thread