What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Case Against the President: Emoluments, Trump's Finances, Taxes & Foundation (2 Viewers)

Did he really also say it’s costing him 2-5 BILLION to be president?
He almost certainly was not worth 2-5 Billion to begin with but there's no doubt his net worth has taken a huge hit.  His brand has become toxic around the world with Buildings he had licencing agreements with tearing his name down, condos in Trump Tower selling way below market value, occupancy rates in hotels like Doral going way down.

His illegal funnelling of taxpayer dollars into his properties might make up for some of of that but for sure he's losing money.   Of course he almost certainly expected the opposite to happen when he ran for President.

Trump's lawyers argue he can't be charged while in office — even if he shoots someone

"That's your position?" federal appeals court Judge Denny Chin asked. "That is correct," the president's lawyer responded.

WASHINGTON — A panel of three federal appeals court judges appeared to be unreceptive Wednesday to President Donald Trump's claim that local prosecutors cannot get his financial records as long as he's in office — and heard an extreme hypothetical example making that case.

The long-standing view of the Justice Department is that a president cannot be indicted while in office. William Consovoy, Trump's lawyer, told the Second Circuit Court of Appeals that the immunity extends to the entire criminal justice process, including grand jury subpoenas for documents.

...Carey Dunne, New York District Attorney Cy Vance Jr.'s general counsel, said the president's position is too absolute.

There could be examples in which a state should be able to conduct a criminal investigation of a sitting president, "if, for example, he did pull out a handgun and shoot someone on Fifth Avenue."

Asked about that, Consovoy said a president could be charged with such a crime once he was out of office or if he was impeached and removed from office. "This is not a permanent immunity," he said.

"I'm talking about while in office. Nothing could be done? That's your position?" Judge Denny Chin asked.

"That is correct," Consovoy said. ...

@Sand your thoughts?
Pretty clear cut.  Pete is correct.  If DJT had held to his decision on the G7 he would have put himself in impeachment and conviction territory. 

I've said it before but I generally hate the oratory of this POTUS.  I am amazed sometimes that good policy gets out of this administration.  And then is backed up with hideous logic and talking points.

Pretty clear cut.  Pete is correct.  If DJT had held to his decision on the G7 he would have put himself in impeachment and conviction territory. 

I've said it before but I generally hate the oratory of this POTUS.  I am amazed sometimes that good policy gets out of this administration.  And then is backed up with hideous logic and talking points.
THe President Stating that something in the constitution is phony goes far beyond the “oratory”

What are a couple of examples of good policy?

@fahrenthold

When @realdonaldtrump made a side trip to his Irish golf club this summer, dozens of Irish cops were sent to protect him. Then Trump’s company charged the cops more than $100K for food and coffee. 
Here’s the bill:https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/1187037207015628801?s=21
Would anyone be surprised if we find out he’s been doing this since day one of his campaign. Charging crazy amounts for renting his own spaces, crazy up charging on catering, enhancements needed at places to make them suitable for a President, over charging on his travel staff’s rooms, etc?

Trump trying to sell his lease rights to the Trump Hotel is the smartest thing he has done in office.

Trump understands that once he leaves DC, the value of that lease drops precipitously.

I think the bigger question, and one that deserves scrutiny - will anyone bail Trump out and over-pay for the lease rights while Trump still holds power?

Trump trying to sell his lease rights to the Trump Hotel is the smartest thing he has done in office.

Trump understands that once he leaves DC, the value of that lease drops precipitously.

I think the bigger question, and one that deserves scrutiny - will anyone bail Trump out and over-pay for the lease rights while Trump still holds power?
That reminds me I have laundry to do.

Trump’s Mar-A-Lago Winter Vacation Pushes Taxpayer Golf Tab Above $118 million

>>President Donald Trump has pushed his taxpayer-funded golf tab past $118 million on his 26th visit to Mar-a-Lago, his for-profit resort in Palm Beach, Florida, with a Saturday visit to his course in neighboring West Palm Beach.

And of that $118.3 million, at least several million has gone into Trump’s own cash registers, as Secret Service agents, White House staff and other administration officials stay and eat at his hotels and golf courses.

The exact amount going into Trump’s pocket cannot be determined because the White House refuses to reveal how many Trump aides have been staying at his properties when he visits them and the administration will not turn over receipts for the charges incurred.

Trump’s White House on Saturday also ignored queries regarding Trump’s golf partners, continuing its practice of keeping that information secret unless he plays with a celebrity or with Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.). Previous administrations routinely disclosed the president’s golf partners.

...Trump’s trip to Turnberry in 2018 cost taxpayers an extra $3 million beyond what it would have cost had he remained in London prior to his summit in Helsinki with Russian leader Vladimir Putin. His trip to Ireland this summer cost taxpayers $3.6 million more than if he’d simply returned to Washington following his visit to London and Normandy, France. ...<<

Trump’s Mar-A-Lago Winter Vacation Pushes Taxpayer Golf Tab Above $118 million

>>President Donald Trump has pushed his taxpayer-funded golf tab past $118 million on his 26th visit to Mar-a-Lago, his for-profit resort in Palm Beach, Florida, with a Saturday visit to his course in neighboring West Palm Beach.

And of that $118.3 million, at least several million has gone into Trump’s own cash registers, as Secret Service agents, White House staff and other administration officials stay and eat at his hotels and golf courses.

The exact amount going into Trump’s pocket cannot be determined because the White House refuses to reveal how many Trump aides have been staying at his properties when he visits them and the administration will not turn over receipts for the charges incurred.

Trump’s White House on Saturday also ignored queries regarding Trump’s golf partners, continuing its practice of keeping that information secret unless he plays with a celebrity or with Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.). Previous administrations routinely disclosed the president’s golf partners.

...Trump’s trip to Turnberry in 2018 cost taxpayers an extra $3 million beyond what it would have cost had he remained in London prior to his summit in Helsinki with Russian leader Vladimir Putin. His trip to Ireland this summer cost taxpayers $3.6 million more than if he’d simply returned to Washington following his visit to London and Normandy, France. ...<<
:hot:

I am sure the Tea Partiers will be along anytime now with their condemnation of the lavish spending on vacations and golf.

Or, is it OK because Trump is profiting off of taxpayers (he's a smart business man!)?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the purpose of this?  This is now the 2nd thread where you've ridiculed how much he's donating.  How much of YOUR salary are YOU donating? 
Because we see article after article with how much taxpayer money is being spent at his resorts.  Is it fair to criticize him for that?

Because we see article after article with how much taxpayer money is being spent at his resorts.  Is it fair to criticize him for that?
It sure is as long as we hold ALL presidents accountable to the same standard!  👍

But the fact that he's donating his $400K salary seems like a GOOD thing, no?  Those making fun of it should maybe post how much of their salary they are donating so we can compare just how ridiculous it actually is - if that is case.

It sure is as long as we hold ALL presidents accountable to the same standard!  👍

But the fact that he's donating his $400K salary seems like a GOOD thing, no?  Those making fun of it should maybe post how much of their salary they are donating so we can compare just how ridiculous it actually is - if that is case.
As I said in the other thread...its a good thing.

Its also a bad thing the amount he spends at his resorts which end up making him money on the taxpayer dime. Quite possibly exceeding the amount he donates.  In addition, other presidents have divested from their businesses while in office to stop even the appearance of such impropriety.  He didn't really do that and his family is still running things. 

Im fine holding all presidents to the same standard.

Also, what others donate is not really relevant to any discussion nor is talking about posters in that way.

What's the purpose of this?  This is now the 2nd thread where you've ridiculed how much he's donating.  How much of YOUR salary are YOU donating? 
The point is to demonstrate the hype behind donating his salary is a smoke screen and he can grift his way to lining his own pockets full of taxpayer cash.

Trump whined about the Obamas' travels and President Obama's golf. All just a pitinence compare to Trump.

As I said in the other thread...its a good thing.

Its also a bad thing the amount he spends at his resorts which end up making him money on the taxpayer dime. Quite possibly exceeding the amount he donates.  In addition, other presidents have divested from their businesses while in office to stop even the appearance of such impropriety.  He didn't really do that and his family is still running things. 

Im fine holding all presidents to the same standard.

Also, what others donate is not really relevant to any discussion nor is talking about posters in that way.
I would say that if someone is going to directly make fun of the President for donating his $400K salary then I think they open the doors to someone asking them how much THEY are donating.  They brought it up and ridiculed him for it.  Why shouldn't someone be able to ask them about their donations?

I would say that if someone is going to directly make fun of the President for donating his $400K salary then I think they open the doors to someone asking them how much THEY are donating.  They brought it up and ridiculed him for it.  Why shouldn't someone be able to ask them about their donations?
Because they aren't POTUS, or public figures, or being applauded for such donations.

And it isn’t what we do here.

Because they aren't POTUS, or public figures, or being applauded for such donations.

And it isn’t what we do here.
Well, what we also don't do here is engage with disingenuous posters, self-appointed board cops and trolls.  You can now consider this the last dialog between us. 

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.  Have a good one!

Well, what we also don't do here is engage with disingenuous posters, self-appointed board cops and trolls.  You can now consider this the last dialog between us. 

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.  Have a good one!
Nothing i posted was disingenuous, self appointed board cop, or trolling and Id ask you to refrain from such false accusations.

You don't seem to want civil and honest debate and only to take shots at others...good bye.

Because the amount of salary he forgoes pales in comparison to the amount he grifts from the country by constantly staying at his resorts and by all campaign related activity occurring at his properties. Know how he can avoid this?  Stay somewhere else and don’t force his campaign to stay in his properties.

Weird how he doesn’t do that.  I wonder why?

OK, Trump is a great guy for donating his $400,000 salary.  But Trump is violating Constitutional prohibitions by personally profiting from the decisions he makes as President, and it appears that the amount he has personally gained from those decisions is far greater than that $400,000 per year.   So overall,  I believe it's fair to view Trump's benevolence with a cynical eye.  Remember, this is also the person who criticized Obama for playing too much golf and wasting taxpayer money on his excursions - the big difference being that Obama didn't own the golf courses, the restaurants, and the hotels.  That past criticism also provides an easy target now that Trump is playing far more golf AND lining his pockets with our money when he and his entourage visits his own properties.     

He's donating a total of $1.6 million over 4 years yet has collected $118 million in tax payer money in 3 years.

Whatta guy!

The man claims to be worth $10,000,000,000 dollars. That 400K is 0.00004, or .004%, of his total worth. If say an average middle class American has $200K in total worth that would equate to a donation of 80 cents. We don't know what the President's true income is because he refuses to show anyone his tax return. - I'll add that Trump doesn't seem to care about public funds, to him giving away 400K is just another pittance in the 1.4 trillion he is spending this year. Now his money, that he cares a lot about.

Trump's DC Hotel Prices Spiked One Weekend 13X

In November, we noticed a mysterious spike in the price of available rooms at Trump’s DC hotel for a Saturday night in December. The minimum cost was 13 times the average, but we couldn’t identify a reason for the spike, until photos surfaced of the Trump Victory Committee’s winter retreat at Trump’s Hotel on that exact night, which appears to have sold out much of the venue. While the least expensive room for a one-night stay at the hotel was around $500 on surrounding days, the cheapest room on December 14 was a whopping $6,719. With access to Trump, Pence, and other top officials, and a bonus invitation to the White House holiday party for donors, we no longer have to wonder why.

On November 7th, CREW flagged a massive spike in the cost of a room on December 14, suggesting that every less expensive room in the hotel was sold out, leaving only pricey suites. Presumably, rooms were taken up by donors to Trump Victory Committee, a joint fundraising committee of the Republican National Committee and the Trump campaign. The exorbitant cost is even more evidence that hosting fundraisers at the Trump International Hotel is one of the best ways to sell out the notoriously empty venue, sending donor money right into Trump’s pocket.

Lucky donors who managed to snag a room were also invited to the White House’s holiday open house, meaning that the cost of a room at Trump’s DC Hotel and donations towards his reelection included exclusive political access for the buyer. 

For those seeking access to the president and top members of his Cabinet, the Trump Victory Committee fundraiser did not disappoint. According to 1100 Pennsylvania, President Trump, Vice President Pence and Interior Secretary David Bernhardt were scheduled to attend Trump Victory’s retreat. Vice President Pence, who is one of the most frequent visitors to Trump properties, was a special guest for lunch. Pence’s lunch alone appears to have attracted 650 guests, according to a social media post that appears to have been from the event, well over the Trump Hotel’s 263 rooms. Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, who is one of the top visitors to Trump properties among executive branch officials, also participated in a “Women for Trump Panel.” Finally, Trump and Secretary Bernhardt were slated to be special guests at the “Jingle and Mingle Cocktail Reception and Winter Retreat Gala.” 

There’s no question that political spending like the Trump Victory Committee fundraiser has helped make Trump’s DC Hotel one of the few bright spots in his financial portfolio, despite it’s high vacancy rate. CREW has tracked 72 political events held at Trump properties during the Trump presidency, 40 of which have been held at his DC hotel. Trump Victory has been a particularly loyal customer for the DC hotel, hosting fundraisers in June 2017, September 2018, May 2019, and June 2019. The Center for Responsive Politics found that all the political spending at the hotel is paying off, totalling nearly $20 million since the 2016 election cycle.

Rate spikes like this have happened before at Trump’s DC hotel, on the Fourth of July and during a Senate Republican retreat in November; but at thirteen times the average rate, The Trump Victory retreat drove an unprecedented jump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread